Tackle Box, M Street in Georgetown - Inexpensive, Quick-Serve, Rustic-Style Seafood Shanty - Closed

Been remiss to post about the TackleBox burger. I went 16 years without eating red meat and now only eat it on the rare occasions where I crave it, so I am no expert. But last week I was craving a hamburger and ended up at Tackle Box. Fish really did not sound good, so I went with their burger. Wow. I am glad I did. I added not one dose of ketchup, no mustard or pickles, the meat was juicy and well seasoned all on its own. With sweet potato fries and asparagus, I felt I got a bargain compared to the other top burgers in town!

Went for the first time for lunch today. Yummy. Grilled tilapia plus potato salad and grilled asparagus. Didn't really need any of the lemon-garlic aioli... the fish was nice and flavorful without any additions on my part. Potato salad was nice, with crispness added by minced red onion. wow... it's going to take me a little while to get through the menu... and when it starts to get cool again... it'll be time to try the soups!

Finally had a chance to stop by near the end of last week. Nice place that can certainly fry up some good seafood. Crispy smelts were perfectly done and the blueberry pie was tasty. I am not sure what the talk of too sour lemonade is about, the glass I had was excellent.

Looks like some serious drama behind the scenes there:

Oceans Apart

A perfectly stormy dispute at Tackle Box

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=35770

(Mods: Please delete if this is inappropriate. It would be nice to get feedback from other forum-goers, though. I want to know if I can eat here in good conscience!)

I think it's worth noting that the restaurant continued to preform well under the pressures detailed in the article. Speaking to people within the organization after I got Bechtold's comments on my blog, I decided then, and still believe it's a non-story, primarily because it simply hasn't made an impact on the quality of the restaurant.

I think it's worth noting that the restaurant continued to preform well under the pressures detailed in the article. Speaking to people within the organization after I got Bechtold's comments on my blog, I decided then, and still believe it's a non-story, primarily because it simply hasn't made an impact on the quality of the restaurant.

And the other remaining question is then, what's now missing from the menu? The comments field in the Washingtonian article implied the braised greens are gone. Anything else?

And the other remaining question is then, what's now missing from the menu? The comments field in the Washingtonian article implied the braised greens are gone. Anything else?

[it's perfectly appropriate.] I had heard about this a week ago from "a credible source," who told me some of Tackle Box's employees were beating the streets, interviewing for work. I was busy, and didn't have any supporting facts, so I decided to let it be.

(Aside: As long as we're dealing with rumors ... I'm sitting on something of a bombshell which everyone will (sadly) find out about in less than a week. If anyone already knows about it, please keep it under wraps for the time being out of courtesy and respect for the insiders involved - I've confirmed it, and have agreed to keep it off the website for now. Stay tuned ... Cheers, Rocks.)

It sounds like TB handled ths quietly and efficiently. Certainly nobody has reported any sudden glitches, from what I've read. Bechtold went to great lengths posting on any blog that mentioned Tackle Box to make sure his story was told. But, ouch! be careful what you wish for.

Good article, with many points of view.

I had been looking forward to trying this place, unaware until I reviewed this thread of most of the various dust-ups that had occurred in June--only knew that Barton Seaver had left Hook. But driving by tonight and dinner-less, we spotted a nearby parking space and impulsively grabbed it. I wish I could say that TB hasn't suffered from the chef shake-ups, but after having read so many positive things, I found Tackle Box very disappointing. Jonathan is a huge fried clam fan, but he was underwhelmed by his clam roll. The clams lacked flavor, and there weren't very many of them. His fries were a mix of overcooked and burned. My portion of crispy scallops was generous, but by the time they arrived at the table, the breading was soggy. They were very small scallops, and since I know they couldn't have been Nantucket Bay scallops at that price, they likely were farmed scallops from Asia-- I had assumed there would be a serving of a small number of U-15 or U-18 good quality fresh scallops, so I didn't bother to ask if they were farmed or wild caught, fresh or frozen. They tasted good, so I scraped off the soggy breading after I had eaten a few. My coleslaw was very creamy, but oversalted. The asparagus, however, was FANTASTIC. A big portion of big, meaty spears that were perfectly cooked and smoky tasting from the grill. They must be overcompensating for complaints about the strawberry lemonade being sour, cause mine was way too sweet. And the blueberry pie was just downright weird. A heaping plateful, but how did they manage to eliminate every drop of moisture from those berries? There was some sort of streusel mixed in with the blueberries that had overwhelming amounts of cinnamon in it, and before the pie was assembled, the juices must have been thickened with cornstarch and cooked until they were a solidified jelly, which was finely minced and added to the cinnamon streusel and the dessicated blueberries. I managed a couple of bites, just trying to figure out what the hell it was, then I gave up. I can't imagine that this pie was made by the talented pastry chef Heather Chittum, who designed the dessert when TB opened. Can't say we'll be willing to go back.

This article seems to have the answer to the source of the scallops.
Barton Seaver, who until recently was executive chef at Washington's Hook and Tackle Box restaurants in Georgetown, said that though he tends to support smaller, artisanal fisheries, he also buys products such as Marine Stewardship Council-certified bay scallops from Argentina. The scallops "are shucked and frozen within 10 minutes of being pulled out of the sea. They are a fantastic product, and the freshness is unbeatable," said Seaver

Zora, I went a few days after the chef shakeup and my experience pretty much mirrored yours. I didn't even bother trying to scrape the soggy breading off of the scallops, though, we just gave up after a few and saved our appetite for what we were hoping would be some good grilled fish. My wife had the tilapia, and while it was not bad, it was not all that good and very underwhelming at this price point. The mac and cheese was basically some cooked elbow macaroni with a few shreds of cheese melted on top. It was tasteless until loaded up with salt and pepper. The grilled asparagus, as with the grilled corn my wife got, was very good, loved the charcoal taste for a perfect summertime side veggie. Her fries were relatively limp and not nearly as hot as they should be, getting cold and not worth eating after a few minutes. The highlight of the trip was my grilled bluefish paired with the basil walnut pesto sauce. I could have this combo once a week and never get sick of it. The blueberry pie, as you noted, was a bit odd. I love blueberries, so I enjoyed the slice, but my wife thought that the filler was very cloying while the blueberries themselves a bit dehydrated. Not a bad dessert, but I can't imagine that a pastry chef with as much clout as Heather Chittum had a hand in the pie that my slice came from.

To note, service was insanely slow the night we were in and our food came out lukewarm, which might have had something to do with our relatively unremarkable experience.

Dropped by TB tonight with the wife and daughter after swimming in Francis pool--almost like a little urban version of a holiday on the Bay. We really liked it. Wood-grilled trout for me, catfish for them. Both fish varieties were very fresh and cooked to perfection, with nice grilled flavor. The Basil walnut sauce went great with the trout. My side salad with basil vinaigrette was perfectly fresh, not an afterthought as it could well have been in a "crab shack." The fries were less crispy than I would have liked, but very tasty and certainly better than the flaccid ones at GSE. I liked the Tackle Box spice that I added to them at the table. And the blueberry pie was delicious, not cloyingly sweet or sticky like what has been described upthread. Perhaps they've made some changes. We came away feeling good about our decision to try TB instead of Birreria, where we had at first thought of going. My only complaints: plastic tableware is barbaric in any context, no less in a crab shack. The fork was too weak a tool for the pie. Also the portions were a bit small, we thought. It would be nice to have beer/liquor. Is this a deliberate omission, or is there a problem obtaining a license?

It would be nice to have beer/liquor. Is this a deliberate omission, or is there a problem obtaining a license?

It's my understanding that the management made a conscious decision not to serve alcohol. In a counter-service, turnover-driven restaurant with limited seating, having customers linger over beers could make it hard to get seats. There was also some concern that, given the relatively low prices and the proximity to the Georgetown campus, selling alcohol might make things a little unruly.

Alex

Stopped by Tackle Box for the first time today...I got the wood grilled trout with fries and grilled corn. The trout was perfectly cooked and quite flavorful...didn't even need the lemon aioli...the fries however, did. They were a bit overcooked. The grilled corn was delicious. My girlfriend had the grilled portobello burger, which she liked a lot. She usually doesn't like them because restaurants often marinade them too long in balsamic and overwhelm the mushroomy taste, but the wood grill seemed to bring out its natural flavors...also, there were two mushrooms stacked on top of each other, with a little bit of basil pesto in between...tasty! She also had the corn, and the grilled asparagus, which, while scrumptious, was slight. A mere three asparagus spears. The lemonades were really good and not overly bitter for our tastebuds.

All in all, we enjoyed it.

Despite some of the staff jumping ship...

...the lobster pot is still delicious! I ordered one for a party of three this past weekend and you get onions, potatoes, corn on the cob, clams, mussels, butter, seasoning, and a 1.25 pound lobster from RI. Delicious! I have a longer writeup and some pictures of the free aluminum container that you get. Runs about $45 per person including tax, etc...

www.PanacheNosh.com

The one-two combo of dinner at Tackle Box followed by beers at Paradiso is pretty great. Fried catfish was spot-on, and although the sweet potato fries were soft, not crispy, they still tasted great.

Groan, grumble, growl. I thought Tackle Box had their ABC license now, but according to our very friendly, professional cashier, it's still "a couple of weeks away," (which, as we all must know, means who-knows-when). This evening, I had just finished placing my order, and added:

"And whatever you have on draft."

But alas, I was denied. Beer is coming to Tackle Box, but it's not there just yet.

As I often do when I haven't been to a restaurant in awhile, I over-ordered, and in retrospect, ordered poorly. Clam Chowder ($6), Fried Clam Strips ($9), Wood-Grilled Trout ($13 with sides of french fries and mac-n-cheese), and Grilled Lobster ($29 with sides of sweet-potato fries and grilled asparagus) amounted to an expensive pig-out, annihilated in thirty minutes, with only the trout emerging as a stand-out dish.

This was a case of diner error, as we could have spent half as much, and enjoyed the meal equally - I think low-end is the way to go here, especially since everything is served at the same time.

Beer is coming to Tackle Box, and when it arrives, I'll be back for my next $9 Tackle Box meal of 1 fish + 1 side + 1 sauce.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I had a Living Social deal for Tackle Box that expired at the end of the month, so we set out to use it on Saturday night. It's really a pain to get to Georgetown from the Hill (especially on a Saturday night), but it turned out to be worth the hassle. I wish there was something similar closer to me! Tasty, cheap, sustainable seafood and sides? Yum!

We both got the Maine meal with a choice of 1 fish + 2 sides + 1 sauce for $13. I had the grilled bluefish with sweet potato fries, cornbread and lemon-garlic aioli and the +1 had grilled tilapia with mac & cheese, portobello and tartar sauce. Both servings of fish were a decent (but not overwhelming) size with a really nice wood-grilled flavor. They didn't really even need sauce, but of the two we had the tartar was the winner. The aioli, while good, tasted more of straight up mayo than the promised lemon and garlic flavors.

The portobello was the surprise winner of the sides. Well-marinated and juicy it was so flavorful and tender. The cornbread was moist and delicious as well. While I liked the taste of the sweet potato fries, I wish they had been a little more crisp. The mac and cheese was the biggest disappointment. Not so much bad as just rather generic (needed salt too...and some Tackle Box seasoning on top seemed to help).

We also split a piece of the proclaimed "DC's Best" blueberry pie. I'm not a huge fan of fruit pies generally, but this was pretty tasty and was chocked full of blueberries. We agreed it would've been better warm (and maybe a la mode!) but it was certainly enjoyable.

I have been to Tacklebox twice lately due to Groupon. One night I had grilled bluefish with mac and cheese and grilled broccoli. We had the god that evening and just sat outside eating out of styrofoam boxes. The Grilled bluefish was really very tasty, although the piece I had looked a little raggedy, not a nice looking filet, but I think it was just from all the movement to grill from grill to box. The mac and cheese here is not worthwhile at all. It is soupy in a wierd Kraft type of way. The grilled broccoli here though is really good, simple, healthy and good. Hubby had the lobster roll (I don't know why) he was disappointed. I don't blame him. He had another a few days later at Coastal Flats that was so much better.

Next adventure was this past Saturday when I was wedding dress shopping for my sister with my other sister and step-mother. We only had 30 minutes so we stopped in one sister got the bluefish which she loved. Step-mom and I got fish tacos. I really liked these, I like the sauce served with them and the slaw. Side of grilled broccoli to share. Other sister had the crabcake. She seemed to like it, it looked good, looked like not a lot of filler, but I didn't get to try it. But everyone really seemed to like the place and it got us in and out quick and over to the JCrew to find her wedding dress (which we did). Later she said she wanted to come back to DC to go back there again.

:lol:

What kind of sauce do they serve with that?

I meant to say dog, obviously it can be inferred from what I really typed who reins supreme in my household. No sauce served with him, but he did like the lobster and really loved the bluefish. My dog is a bit of a foodie... He also really loved all the attention from people passing by!

As far as the lobster rolls go, I've had a few lately and I would rate them Hank's, Tacklebox, Coastal Flats. Coastal Flats adds a good bit of Mayo and Celery, the other two were straight up Lobster with some seasoning on a buttered roll. To each his own !

I think my Tacklebox objection stems from: very small size resulting in not a lot of big chunk of lobster and bad roll itself. I just think for the price you can get better (like at Hank's which is my favorite too). I don't mind lobster salad as long as the lobster is in big chunks and the taste of the lobster is still the main key to it.

Stopped in at the Tacklebox last night with the +1 to use the recent groupon. Haven't been in just over a year (it looks like their quest to serve beer never materialized) but here is the run down:

I had: Maine Meal with Wood Grilled Calamari (with basil walnut pesto), Grilled Portabello, and Cornbread. The calamari was fantastic, with a nice charred exterior on several perfectly cooked tubes that lacked any sign of being rubbery. The portabello was well marinated and cooked well and the cornbread was nicely done (even a little custardy) and lacked the cloying sweetness that I generally try to avoid.

The +1 had: Maine Meal Fried shrimp (with cocktail sauce) with cole slaw and corn bread. I thought the cole slaw was pedestrian but that the shrimp were as I'd expect from a road side place near the bay. The cocktail sauce had a nice zing from the horseradish as well.

We split: Fried Oysters. A good sized portion of well fried oysters (again with cocktail sauce). The oysters themselves were good sized and had a nice brininess that cut through the fried coating.

All in all, everything was good...however, I think the items off the grill really are the highlights here and the reason I will definitely return.

I was at Tackle Box last night and had the posted Tuesday night special - one whole grilled Maine lobster, with fries and slaw, for $17.99. The lobster was medium-sized, tender and flavorful, and I'll definitely be looking to stop by again on Tuesday's if this is in fact an ongoing deal. As always, the folks who work at Tackle Box seem to work hard at making it a friendly and unpretentious spot for quick and nice quality seafood. BTW, the liquor license is still on track, if much delayed...

Dave

I was at Tackle Box last night and had the posted Tuesday night special - one whole grilled Maine lobster, with fries and slaw, for $17.99. The lobster was medium-sized, tender and flavorful, and I'll definitely be looking to stop by again on Tuesday's if this is in fact an ongoing deal. As always, the folks who work at Tackle Box seem to work hard at making it a friendly and unpretentious spot for quick and nice quality seafood. BTW, the liquor license is still on track, if much delayed...

Dave

I had the lobster special last night when I stopped by and it's a awesome deal $17.99. They said its an every Tuesday deal and it's 1.5 lb whole lobster, and two sides.

Monday is Fish and Chips for $7 (I think)

Wednesday is half off fish tacos.

Monday thru Wednesday are the only specials.

Any news? I drove by today & there's still paper over the widows.

I've read its open w/$1 oysters and drink specials 5-7pm weekdays. Stopped in mid-afternoon on Sunday and went upstairs for some oysters. No one was up there to serve - but it looked to be open and there were signs for super bowl specials.

**This is in reference to the new Cackle bar at the Georgetown location

Any news? I drove by today & there's still paper over the widows.

The had the following post on their Facebook page, dated 1/20/11:

New expected opening date of Cleveland Park Tackle Box location is April 2011!!! Mark your calendars guys and start getting excited...we will have some great offers to kick it off as we get closer:)

I dropped by with my groupon to grab lobster rolls with jchao and also to check out the new happy hour oyster special. We decided to sit downstairs because it was a bit noisy at the new bar upstairs. The oyster happy hour (5-7pm) special is pretty great. $1 a pop (well with the groupon, 50 cents a pop), and I got a dozen. I really like the casual atmosphere here.

Update today on Facebook for the CP location:

Hey Fans! Just an update on the Cleveland Park opening: We are hoping to open the doors by either the end of April or beginning of May. We will have the largest RAW BAR in DC you have ever seen, an extended menu, and bar. Tackle Box is currently HIRING for all positions and looking for great people who want to move up in a growing company!!!

We happened to take Conn Ave driving home last night, and as we approached the strip of stores I noticed the sign for Tackle Box was up and wondered if they may have opened...then as we passed by, I saw a loooong line of people waiting. Now they could have been waiting for something else, but it sure looked like the line ended at the door to TB!

I don't know if it was a soft opening or official, but either way, it's probably time to update the topic description to add the CP location. B)

I just googled it and answered my own question...it was a "friends and family" event, as the official opening is tonite, per this CP blog

We went to their soft opening last night. "Wow" is one way to describe it. I have a feeling they will be doing very well in the neighborhood - prime location, huge space, expansive menu, etc.

Staff was very accommodating - handing out complimentary beer and wine to guests waiting in the long lines. For a place that was stuffed to the brim with people, it didn't take us extraordinarily long for our food to arrive.

Oh, and they have Natty Boh ON TAP.

Our party of four was very happy with the food and service. i.e., I ordered a side of mashed potatoes, didn't show up. I tell the waiter, told me they ran out, then he comes back with a fresh order of french fries. Nice touch.

You can read more about it in our post we just published over at the blog: http://www.dmvdining.com/2011/06/first-look-tackle-box-cleveland-park/

Was and still really excited for TackleBox in CP - sadly we were disappointed on our first trip. Biggest disappointment was the tasteless rocks served as "hush puppies." I really like hush puppies and was excited for them, but I don't know if it was an off night or bad recipie, but I would definitely choose a different side next time. Our more general disappointment was the price point - which seemed a bit high for the amount/quality of food. I really like the concept and love that a business has finally filled this empty location - but $36 for counter service for our order was steep for what we got. I had the meal deal with one fish, two side, and 1 sauce, wife had fish sandwich deal that comes with fries, plus 2 lemonades. So basically 2 complete meals without service for $36. The fish sandwich was ok - she had the crispy haddock which was fresh and good, but the bread was odd - some type of fall apart wheat instead of a simpler bun. The fries were good too with a light dusting of old bay seasoning. I had the wood-grilled blue cod - which was a nice portion of plainish fish. Was pretty similar to what anyone could have cooked on the backyard grill. I already mentioned my awful hush puppies (also small portion about 6, quarter size) and the grilled broccoli again only 6-7 pieces with too strong char. The lemon garlic aioli was ok and added some flavor to the fish and hush puppies - but nothing special. So the food was ok, the portions were actually ok, but the price for what you get is expensive IMHO. I can't help but compare it to the other places on the block with counter service where the price is about 2/3 to 1/2 of Tackle Box. I understand fresh fish is more expensive that chicken or beef, but it seems the sides are really what is expensive. And the fish I tried wasn't that tasty. Maybe the shellfish (which we don't eat) is where the value is.

I want this place to succeed, so I plan to try it a few more times and hope to discover the gems on the menu. Anyone have any suggestions - particular fish, sides, or even sauces to try?

I want this place to succeed, so I plan to try it a few more times and hope to discover the gems on the menu. Anyone have any suggestions - particular fish, sides, or even sauces to try?

They get you with the lemonade. The place is not cheap, and the lemonade (which I recall as being $4.50 for a cup at the Georgetown location) is especially not cheap.

I've read its open w/$1 oysters and drink specials 5-7pm weekdays. Stopped in mid-afternoon on Sunday and went upstairs for some oysters. No one was up there to serve - but it looked to be open and there were signs for super bowl specials.

**This is in reference to the new Cackle bar at the Georgetown location

Is this promotion happening now at the new CP location?

pax,

Brian

Never thought that Groupon would be a source of breaking news...

According to an email I just received from them, there's been a fire at the Georgetown Tackle Box location and it will be closed indefinitely. :mellow:

Groupons can still be redeemed in Cleveland Park.

From the DC Fire Department website:

Just after noon today DC Firefighters were dispatched for the report of a building fire in the 3200 block of M Street N.W., in the heart of Georgetown. Reports were being given by units not on the scene of heavy smoke visible from blocks away.

Units arriving on the scene reported heavy smoke and fire showing in the rear extending to the adjacent building. The fire originated in the rear of the Tackle Box Restaurant. Lines were rapidly advanced and a Second Alarm was requested.

From a Yelp review:

"My meal was interesting, I got the lobster roll ($19) which was good but overpriced. Should be about $10 in my opinion."

Good luck on your quest for a $10 lobster roll.

Just walked by Marvelous Market in Dupont Circle tonight. There was a sign in the window advertising lobster rolls for $9.99. :mellow: