Union Square Greenmarket, Manhattan

Had the pleasure of strolling around the Union Square Greenmarket in NYC yesterday. A friend and I made a little picnic out of super sweet first of the season strawberries, fresh sourdough bread with a killer thick crispy crust and some chicken salad (OK- that came from the Whole Foods across the street). Took some Jonagold and Honeycrisp apples home to mom and felt more then a little sad that I don't get to go to markets more often.

it's interesting to find a thread dedicated to USGM on what is predominantly a DelMarVa-focused board.

anyway... ;)

a few pix from yesterday; the rest are on my blog linked to in my signature.

10630793224_b9418748a6_z.jpg

radishes; at left are Japanese turnips.

10630772815_21cefb6d7f_z.jpg

green and purple kohlrabi.

10630807736_463865311e_z.jpg

very unusual to see parsnips so early in November. i should have bought a few, given that one of my favorite ways to serve them is for breakfast, fried in butter with toasted hazelnuts or pistachios and lightly drizzled with honey or maple syrup.

10630798056_5d9ce63753_z.jpg

Seckel pears.

10630794726_c9ede17487_z.jpg

apples and cranberries.

10630792896_74cfac7589_z.jpg

German butterball potatoes. think of Yukon Golds, except these are denser and buttery in flavor; they're excellent roasted, fried or turned into olive oil mashed potatoes.

• Like 1

Great pictures of the market, Trelayne! I grew up in NY and watched the USGM transform that neighborhood.When I made that first post, I was living in Tallahassee, FL - a good produce desert. Wandering through the market, even so early in the season, was uplifting. 

Great pictures of the market, Trelayne! I grew up in NY and watched the USGM transform that neighborhood.When I made that first post, I was living in Tallahassee, FL - a good produce desert. Wandering through the market, even so early in the season, was uplifting. 

Thanks.  I shop there weekly.  This is probably my fave time of year.