14th & U Market, 14th & U Streets NW

TedE

They certainly are. I got 2 boxes yesterday and spent today turning them into a nice basic pasta sauce. There's a lot ofit too.

Just a note on recipe yield. We bought 3 boxes {75#} of field tomatoes and made 22 quarts of puree after first stick blending it and then running thru a food mill to remove skins and seeds. 85# of heirloom from Tuscarora yielded 52 quarts of sauce.

They certainly are. I got 2 boxes yesterday and spent today turning them into a nice basic pasta sauce. There's a lot ofit too.

Just a note on recipe yield. We bought 3 boxes {75#} of field tomatoes and made 22 quarts of puree after first stick blending it and then running thru a food mill to remove skins and seeds. 85# of heirloom from Tuscarora yielded 52 quarts of sauce.

I got 8 quarts of basic tomato sauce yesterday. I still have 15-20 tomatoes leftover. I held them back to make tomato pie, salads etc. This batch was even better than the last-I didn't lose one tomato (I did spread all the tomatoes on my counter overnight so that pressure wouldn'd do any of them in.

My method was to sweat onions in evoo until translucent. I cored and split the tomatoes in halves and quarters, depending on size, and added to the pot with a good helping of kosher salt. Cooked slowly until the the tomatoes were good and tender.

Next, I ran batches of the tomatoes in my Vitamix, and passed it through a food mill into a great big stainless steel bowl. I then returned the puree to the pot with almost a stick of butter (taking this from Hazan's method) and allowed it to concentrate just a bit.

This is going to spoil me when it comes to tomato sauce. There's just nothing that comes close to the taste.

Dean-how to you account for the significantly higher yield from Tuscarora?

Field tomatoes ahve more juice and less pulp. As they cook down, much of the water evaporates. We simer for about 3 hours and then stick blend. Just tomatoes, nothing else so we ahve a consistent product when we take them out of the freezer to use later. The overly ripes from TOG are really just solid meat mostly with very few seeds and when we cook them for 3 hours, the solids are basically up to the top of the level of the liquid. With the fields, solids are about half the height of the liquid. By the way, McLeaf's and Cinda from Dupont's heirlooms performed much like TOG and Heintz's from Next Step performed much like Garner, so I think it is heirloom vs field and not who grew them.

Field tomatoes ahve more juice and less pulp. As they cook down, much of the water evaporates. We simer for about 3 hours and then stick blend. Just tomatoes, nothing else so we ahve a consistent product when we take them out of the freezer to use later. The overly ripes from TOG are really just solid meat mostly with very few seeds and when we cook them for 3 hours, the solids are basically up to the top of the level of the liquid. With the fields, solids are about half the height of the liquid. By the way, McLeaf's and Cinda from Dupont's heirlooms performed much like TOG and Heintz's from Next Step performed much like Garner, so I think it is heirloom vs field and not who grew them.

Thanks. Is anyone selling heirloom bulk anywhere near the price of Garners?

I am in Provence for a few weeks and I just came back from the localish market 20 kms away. Five goat cheese stands and long lines at each of them. Everyone eats goat cheese all summer long here. There are no cows in our region and goat cheese is the local cheese. Fresh, cremeux, affine -- various degrees of maturity. I always wonder why Americans don't eat more goat cheese and I am glad we have

Cherry Glen at 14&U. The other day someone served a tomato "crumble" baked in the oven with parmesan and with it fresh chevre whipped with some cream. It was quite good. Chevre is baked and drizzled with lavender honey for dessert, it is sauteed and served on salad, it is eaten after every meal as part of the cheese plate.

KUHN'S ORCHARDS: Bounty Peaches, 'Sugar Giant' White Peaches, Redgold and White Nectarines, Saturn and Yellow Flat Peaches Satsuma Plums, Fortune Plums (SYDNEY SAYS; BEST PLUMS ON THE FARM, Long John Blue Italian Plums for baking (I just had a plum tart tonight at dinner), Gingergold, Zestar and Rambo Apples, Red and Yellow Raspberries, Blackberries...and they are bringing back the strawberry season with seascape Strawberries. Tigger, Canary and Snow Leopard Honeydew Melons. Mini Watermelon and mini Cantaloupe for single servings

On the Veggie side, Heirloom tomatoes, shallots, German White Garlic, French Filet Beans or Haricots Verts as we call them in Provence, Tomatilos and cilantro, Carrots, Baby Artichokes, Cippolini, Candy and Red Onions, Bitter Melon for Indian curries, OKra, Cherry

MCCLEAF ORCHARDS: red and green kale (Dino's has been buying for the restaurant -- try some and find out why),  swiss chard, red and white onions, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, red and white potatoes, seedless watermelons, cantaloupes, white and yellow peaches, white nectarines, green, white and yellow donut peaches, cameo, ginger gold, and zestar apples, okra, blackberries, sweet corn, cucumbers, eggplant - ghost buster, heirloom and dark purple, summer squash.

MOUNTAIN VIEW: CERTIFIED Naturally grown, an organic designation for small farmers.  Check out the table of their cherry tomatoes. They are like rubies. Attila is a pepper maven. Eggplants. Unusual varieties of squash. Chards. And lots more.

PECAN MEADOW: Chicken and Duck Eggs. Lois' Traditional Pennsylvania baked goods and cookies and sweet breads.  Grass -fed -and -finished half Piedmontese Beef, Lamb, Goat. You can pre order Italian Chicken (including boneless, skinless breasts, legs &thighs, wings, backs), Duck.

TRUCK PATH:  Grass-fed Angus beef in all cuts, pastured pork (sausages, ribs, ground, chops), eggs, goat and salad greens and even more TOMATOES. Bryan waters them very little to get a concentrated tomato flavor. It is not quite the famous California dry farming, but the closest we get on the East Coast. Should be certified organic later this year.

GARNER's PRODUCE: Corn, tomatoes both heirloom and field, cherry and not, red, orange, yellow, purple peppers, sweet and hot green as well. Egplants:Asian, Italian, Japanese, White. Cukes. Red and White New Potatoes. 6 varieties of summer squash in shades of yellow and greens, okra and LOTS of tomatoes.

DOLCEZZA: Now scooping at market for your pleasure and protecting your take- home gelato and sorbet with new recyclable styrofoam containers that will keep them solidly frozen while you shop. No more worries about melting the Lemon Opal Basil Sorbet before you get it home

PANORAMA: baguettes, breakfast breads, pumpernickel, whole wheat, rye, rolls, brioche, muffins.

CHEZ HAREG: Not just a French baker, but also a French VEGAN baker. Try the new Vegan version of her cult classic, Lemon Bar.

FAUCHER MEADOWS: Long-Life Meadow flowers from a Great Falls Garden: Celosia, Hydrangeas, Sunflowers and Zinnias.

COPPER POT: Stefano has a cucumber soup with a spicy oil to give it a kick. Bruscetta. Salsa. Caponata Eggplant Salad. Barbecued Ber Can Chicken. Corn, Duck, RAbbit pastas. Jams with that Italian attitutde. Sauces.

Hi everyone,

What's beem popular in Provence this year? Both the spicy pink beet and

tomato gazpachos have been a bit hit this year. The new

Cucumber-grape Gazpacho (on our facebook page) seduced a tableful of

dinner guests. The baked eggplant fans are always a success. They

also like my zucchini “faux pasta” made from strips of squash.

And this year I have been wowing people with a new appetizer: smoky

eggplant cream bruschetta.

Grill Eggplant until the skin blisters and the flesh collapses. (At

the same time grill a whole big head of garlic until blackened.)

Scrape out the flesh (discard the blackened skin) and puree the

eggplant with the now soft roasted garlic, olive oil and a touch of

lemon, salt. This makes a very smooth, smoky topping for grilled

bread or slices of cucumber. Top with a bit of crushed black olives

or pimenton.

Try a CRUSTLESS ZUCCHINI QUICHE;

I grated a mountain of zucchini and yellow zephyr zucchini and cooked

them slowly in olive oil with one garlic clove until the water

evaporates and they nearly dissolve.. This will net you a bit more

than a pound of caramelized zucchini.) I beat 8 farm eggs with 1/3

cup of whole milk and a bit of cream, add some herbes de provence.

Mix in the zucchini and then poured the mixture into a round gratin

dish that you line with parchment pepper. Into a 450 oven for 35

minutes until the custard set and browns on top. Unmold it and put

it on a large white platter. it looks lovely

NEW this week:

4 Different Sweet Potatoes at Mountain View. Grill them in slices

or whole. Season with lime and cumin, salt and pepper. Seriously

good. And they make wonderful fries…

Fingerling potatoes at MtV. The French answer to steamed potatoes.

Top with olive oil and chopped parsley. Try some tarragon with it

and chives…

Lamb Sausage and Sweet Italian Sausage at Pecan Meadow

Muscovy Duck for the first time this year -- whole and breast

Chicken – whole and in parts -- pre order at

bluemountainbeef@juno.com

HOW DOLCEZZA CONCOCTS THEIR GELATO AND SORBETO. When I made my

official visit, they were cutting up bushels of local white

nectarines. It was quietly impressive to see how those hundreds of

pounds of fruit were “spun” into their profoundly flavorful

gelato and sorbet. Last year they created 375 different seasonal

gelatos and sorbets, inspired by the best fruits and cheeses and even

some veggies of our region week by week. Now they are scooping for

eating at the market or selling take home gelato in sturdy, cold

proof containers that will last for two hours.

Speaking of fresh fruit:

Recipe Tips for Peaches:

l. Here’s a great white peach salad with scallions, mint,

caramelized walnuts and baby arugula. Dressing: lime juice, rice

vinegar, walnut and olive oil, salt and pepper..

2. Joshua Whigham used to make this dish at Bar Pilar: dice ripe

peaches and tomatoes with a splash of vinegar and olive oil and

serve with green beans!

MOUNTAIN VIEW (No Pesticides—ever. Their farm is on an

environmental preserve and they use very ecological growing

techniques) Be sure to come earlyish for their Grass Range Eggs. My

favorite eggplant is their violet Rosa Bianca. It has a mild,

creamy consistency and is never bitter. Asian eggplants. Swiss

Chard, Tons of beautiful heirloom tomatoes and Cherry Toms. Peppers:

Hot Peppers, of course, Hungarian yellows wax, Jimmy

Nardellos,Bulgarian carrot, Super Chilio, Thai. Beets, Cucumbers,

Squash, Leeks, Storage and Bunching Onions. Basil.

Robin’s Provencal Cooking Tip: Slice Rosa Bianca eggplant into 1/3

inch slices. Brush with olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet or

hotel pan until brown on both sides. (400 degree oven). Sprinkle

with cut herbs and serve. ADDICTIVE. Top with yogurt or cheese or

diced tomatoes or a combo of fresh tomato sauce and cheese. Makes

great sandwiches, too.

Pecan Meadow: Daniel’s half- Italian Piedmontese beef is grass-

fed and finished and has a deep, beefy flavor. Excellent steaks,

hamburgers, and all cuts of roasts. GRASS RANGING Eggs. Look out

for Lois’ wonderful traditional Pennsylvania baking.

KUHN: peaches & nectarines, yellow and white, flat peaches, three

plum varieties, blackberries, raspberries tomatoes, cherry tomatoes.

tomatillos to make your favorite Mexican Salsa Verde, onions,

shallots, fennel, edamame, basil, cucumbers. NEW- Ginger Gold and

Zestar Apples

MCCLEAF: Try your own taste test among McCleaf and Kuhn’s yellow

and white nectarines and peaches, donut peaches, red and new

potatoes, kale, cucumbers, plums, green beans kale, Swiss chard,

heirloom tomatoes, okra, eggplant plant, onions - yellow and red,

beets, squash - yellow and green, green peppers, and ginger gold

apples.

COPPER POT: Stock up for the next two weeks. Stefano is going on

vacation The Jams: cherry bourbon, red beets and rhubarb, Bellini

(peach and proscecco), apricot rosemary, strawberry vanilla,

blackberry ginger. The sauces: Virginia blended tomato sauce and

smoky bacon and Parmesan sauce, Shallots and Barolo. The pastas this

week: duck ravioli, rabbit ravioli, beer can chicken,

eggplant/ricotta ravioli, creamy corn tortellini and gnocchi.

TRUCK PATCH: Lettuce, arugula, red chard, curly green kale. Slice

some pesticide-free rainbow tomatoes on top of those greens. What a

choice of colors: Aunt Ruby Green,, Black Krim, Striped German,

Amana Orange, Great White Green Zebra, Black Prince, chocolate

cherries, sungold.

Truck Patch tarragon is the secret ingredient in my three bean salad

from their beans: green beans, purple beans and yellow wax beans

here. My favorite pale green Kousa squash. Mint, Chives, Dill,

Basil.

Brian is breeding juicier and juicier pork. Try his fresh chops and

roasts, both with and without out bones. And of sausages: sage,

Italian, Bratwurst, Kielbasa, Country. Grass fed Angus beef, too!

EGGS.

FAUCHER MEADOWS: Tuberoses, hydrangeas, zinnias from just a few

miles away in Great Falls.

PANORAMA: Rustique bread, Olive oil buns, rye, pumpernickel, whole

wheat, sliced and whole. Sour dough, French, baguettes and whole

grain rolls. Croissants, sticky buns. Muffins should be back this

week. Loic has been tinkering with them....

GARNER: Make 3 bean salad with green beans, yellow wax beans, roma.

Red King Arthur peppers and Yellow Early Sensation peppers sweet corn

this week. Okra and onions, too. Tomatillos for salsa. Plus sweet

corn, cherry tomatoes: minicharm, chocolate cherry, grape, sun gold,

green beans, yellow wax, roma; white superior potatoes, eggplant: big

purple, ghost buster, neon, bega; peppers and squash of the rainbow

hues, okra, squash, , cantaloups, watermelons, cukes.

CHERRY GLEN: Want a little taste of Provence? Try Cherry Glen’s

chevre or aged goat cheeses with a tomato salad! Bread and Saute a

round of chevre. Serve it over arugula. We eat goat cheese with

every lunch and dinner here.

CHEZ HAREG: Where Classic French pastry and Vegan meet. Try both

versions of their cult classic Lemon Bars.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies are back! After their long summer hiatus. Ryan's pumpkins are ready and Lois snatched then up and baked both the cream- cheese icing and the Keswick Quark icing plus three sizes of pumpkin pies and pumpkin bread. No, it is not Halloween, but it is pumpkin patch time in the Pecan Meadow baking kitchen! Of course, there will be samples of everything.

Chicken Sale: Daniel has lovely pastured chickens on sale this week. Large Italian breed (long legs, smaller breasts, these chicken have WALKED.), 6 pounds or larger, $3.00 a pound. I roast one nearly every single week and they have real chicken flavor. I usually cut out the backbone and flatten them to roast them spatchcocked. (Even very large birds cook very quickly that way.) I know that some of you are briners but i just salt my birds inside and out the day before I am going to cook them and leave them uncovered on a plate in the fridge. Dry them carefully, bring to cool room temperature and roast. The salt and the cold of the fridge makes for very crisp skin that does not taste salty, just deeply chicken-y. Add a multiply pierced lemon underneath if you are a Marcella Hazan fan, or stuff some herbs under the skin (thyme, rosemary or tarragon?), 450 degrees. I save the backbones and the carcass for soup. I often pile a mass of greens under the spatchcocked chicken and both cook to perfection on a preheated half sheet pan.... This week I used very fresh beet greens...

Copper Pot is back from his California vacation with 3 kinds of tortellini (ham, beef or creamy corn), two kinds ofo ravioli (duck or rabbit), both sweet potato and Yukon Gold gnocchi. Cavatelli. His own Basil Pesto recipe. Mushrom ragout, jams a nd sauces.

Kuhn and McLeaf Orchards will still have peaches (so, still time to can or freeze some or make some peach pies or cobblers) and white nectarines, Blue Italian Plums for baking, red, orange and yellow watermelons, sweet potatoes, white and red potatoes, eggplant Asian and Bartlett Pears (they were very juicy last week), lots of apples: Honeycrisp, Gingergold, Gala, Liberty Ambrosia, Jonamac, Jonathan, Cortland, Rambo, Jonagold, Idared. yes, she still has both red and yellow raspberries and those small, sweet Seascape strawberries. Heirloom tomatoes, shallots, tomatillos, Haricots verts, red and cipollini onons, okra, cherry tomatoes, Cheese and italian frying peppers (great with Truck patch sausage), 4 kinds of winter squash and pie pumpkins. Red and green Kale.

Truck Patch has had excellent string beans and very good spinach, mixed salads, heirloom tomatoes, field tomatoes, and lots of pastured pork, grass fed beef, eggs. Pre order their pastured chickens at market@truckpatchfarm.com. I bought a large cantaloupe from them last week and I was delighted to find that it was sweet and not at all watery. Usually, I prefer the small ones, but these were quite good.

I am usually not a fan of acorn sqush, but Mountain View has converted me with two varieties. The Thelma Sanders is a pale gold, elongated acorn sized squash and very much like a sweet potato in flavor. But with tastier- than - acorn squash seeds. First time I have cooked it and it is a winner. I roasted olive oil slicked cubes on a sheet pan. Tossed with salt and a bit of rosemary. Excellent. I have forgotten the name of the other one but it is Japanese, a blue green, deeply ridged, flattened round. It looks like a piece of Japanese folk ceramic and it tastes more like a butternut than an acorn. I baked it whole and scooped it, drizzled some of the chicken drippings on it. Yum. Eggs. Lots of greens and peppers and summer to Fall veg.

Garner has lots of winter squash. I roasted three trays of their heirlooms and froze 15 bags for winter use. As Dean has said, the heirlooms have more water, but I saved that for soups all week. Arugula, lettuce mixes. Three kinds of beans. Shelled limas. Eggplant. Cucumbers. radishes, summer squashes, red and white potatoes

Dolcezza is both scooping gelato and sorbeto for enjoying at the market and packing in recyclable styrofoam pints and half pints to keep cold while you shop. Methley Plum was good last week. Cherry Glen chevre and their soft ripened Monocracy and other award winners are at market every single week. I like to use chevre instead of cream with cooked greens.

And Faucher Meadow Flowers, Chez Hareg, Panorama breads. I had the half baguette last Sunday. It was very flavorful even on a rainy day which does no bread any favors....

Hi everyone,

short write up this week because I am in Florida (Tampa) visiting my mother

I

• think that the story this week is Mccleaf's Kiwiberries. They don't look like much:, little round UNfuzzy tiny khaki marbles but they explode in your mouth with real kiwi flavor. Actually better than the usual kiwis we get here and more like the ones I had in New Zealand at a kiwi farm 30 years ago. You eat the whole thing, including the skin but be sure they are soft before you do. The season is short: this week, maybe next. they are quite hard to grow so not many orchards have them.
  • Pecan Meadow is running a sale on their grass fed and finished half Piedmontese beef sirloin -- ten dollars a pound.
  • Garner is running a box sale on sweet potatoes: 25 pounds for just 20 dollars (80 cents a pound) and they will keep for months in a cool, dry place.
  • If you have not yet tasted Mt View's Thelma Sanders Sweet potato squash, you are missing not only a thing of beauty (pale gold inside and out, elongated, ridged acorn shape) but an unusual taste. The skin is edible and I cut them in half, scoop out the seeds to roast separately, cut them in cubes, toss the cubes with olive oil and rosemary and roast them on a sheet pan in a 450 oven until crispy on the outside and meltingly soft inside. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with lime. Eat immediately. Sweet Potato, winter squash, a magical mix of the two

• New flavors at Dolcezza this week: Black Mission FIG, Crookneck Pumpkin, Honey Crisp apple
  • Chestnuts at Kuhn

plus the last of the peaches, lots of interesting apples, lima and black eye peas,Asian and European greens, winter and summer squash, peppers hot and sweet, plenty of tomatoes in all sizes and colors, eggplant, potatoes, late season strawberries,etc etc.

This week at 14&U FM:

It is last and first week for a number of things. (And the market has five more weeks to go.)

Our wonderful flower farmer, Elaine Faucher, retired and folded her tents for the last time. She grew spectacular flowers on her 2 acres of flower meadows in Great Falls MD and we will miss her. But we are trying out some successors. Leon Carrier of Plantmasters will be a guest flower farmer this week. He has been growing flowers wth his wife Carol for 30 years, also on 2 acres of flower meadows and in the borrowed backyards of seven of their neighbors in Laytonsville (near Olney). They pick Friday for their Saturday markets and this week will have Mexican Sage, Butterfly Weed, Ilex, Sunflower, Limelight Hydrangea, Zinnias, Dahlias and many other flowers.

Chestnut lovers: last call at Kuhn and McCleaf. Corn lovers: last week at Garner. I bought 6 ears last week and they were tasty so I will probably be making my last Mexican corn soup and succotash this weekend.

Quince and Goldrush apples and SUNCHOKES this week. Kuhn grows excellent sunchokes and I am looking forward to simmering and then sauteeing them with garlic, cardamom and chives or sauteed with shallots and lots of mint. Broccoli and Cauliflower have arrived. Brussels sprouts are still a week or two away but Truck Patch told me that he is expecting a freeze in New Windsor, Maryland Saturday night that will terminate his summer crops (kra, field tomatoes, eggplants, peppers) but sweeten his Fall greens and brassicas.

SALES: Speaking of eggplant, Garner continues to have a crazy cheap sale for eggplant at their stand. You can stuff a plastic bag full of any eggplant for just ten dollars. One person managed to get 15 pounds into the bag. Sweet potatoes last months in a cool, dry place and Garner is selling 25 pound boxes for just 20 dollars. ( And he may still have boxes of tomato seconds for 12 dollars.)

If you are looking for a Free range (pastured) Broad Breasted White Turkey, reserve one at Truck Patch.

COPPER POT: NEW FALL FLAVORS. The cooler weather has inspired Stefano to stuff Autumn into all his pastas. So, Pasta Time is back now that we are all willing to heat up our kitchens again. For me, his stuffed pastas are the epitome of Fast Food the way it should be. And I love that he gets all of his major ingredients from the the local farmers. Confit duck ravioli, maple- roasted pumpkin tortellini, braised rabbit ravioli, grass- fed beef tortellini, coq au vin tortellini, red beet and goat cheese ravioli, sweet and regular potato gnocchi, cavatelli, grilled pumpkin pappardelle and a unique sauce: Mallard Civet (braised duck in red wine, very good with gnocchi and pappardelle).

KUHN: Last week for Chestnuts, First week for Sunchokes and GoldRush apples, Bosc Pears, QUINCE. Other apples include: Honeycrisp, ambrosia, gala,shizuka, fuji, nittany, stayman, braeburn, jonathan, jonagold, Northern Spy,York, Granny Smith. Raspberries, strawberries. Heirloom omatoes, shallots,red onions, cherry tomatoes, cheese and Italian frying peppers. A huge variety of European, American and Asian squash My link Apple cider, canned peaches, jams. Basil, dill, Italian flat leaf parsley, thyme, oregano, Sage,Marjoram, Tarragon, Rosemary, Lavender, catnip and Chives.

I am determined to persuade people to preserve herbs for winter. Dry thyme, oregano, marjoram, tarragon, lavender, sage by hanging bouquets upside down out of direct sunlight.(I don't care for dried rosemary or parsley very much) Puree basil or cilantro with oil and freeze into ice cubes for the winter.  I think the pureed basil with olive oil cubes makes for the best winter pesto because you add all the other ingredients only afer you defrost the cubes. String hot peppers and dry in an airy sunny place.

MOUNTAIN VIEW: CERTIFIED NATURALLY GROWN. No pesticides ever on their salad greens, kale, swiss chard, mustards, bok choy, collards, beets, sweet potatoes, potatoes, winter squash, braising greens, Arrowhead cabbage, arugula. And their EGGS come from chickens that run free on grass.

GARNER: Pumpkins. Red and yellow peppers as well. Plus Collards. beets, spinach, arugula, red bore kale, leaf lettuce, Swiss Chard, baby white and spicy red turnips, lots of winter squash ( acorn, butternut, spaghetti, carnival, pretty green kabocha, red kuri. Neck pumpkin, limas and he has been promising me October beans for this weekend.

PECAN MEADOW FARM: EGGS. Lois has mini carrot cupcakes, pumpkin whoopie pie, pecan pies, apple pies, pumpkin pie, and sweet breads (carrot, zucchini, pumpkin). All from local produce. Cornmeal from their own indian corn that Ryan grows and that they grind themselves. Indian Corn Popcorn. Yes, their beef is great. All grass- fed and all grass- finished beef from half Piedmontese cows. Steaks - Porterhouse, T-Bone, Delmonico, Sandwich Steak, Sirloin. Eye Round, Chuck and Arm make easy- to- cook slow roasts and stews for rainy days and cooler nights. Ground Beef is ground for them by a small local family farm butcher who works with one or two cows at a time! Ground to Daniel's specs. Hamburger Patties, Bones, Liver, Heart, Tongue and Tail for humans and dogs! Plus their pastured lamb and goat!

Email: bluemeadowbeef@juno.com or call: 717 423 5365 to pre-order chickens or ducks or special cuts.

TRUCK PATCH: TP is very close to getting their Organic Certification. I don't know why they don't have a sign at the stand telling customers about the process. They have been in transition for the last three years and will have it soon. EGGS. Bryan is expecting a freeze Saturday night in Maryland and that will be the end of his summer crops: tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, okra at his stand. But the chill will sweeten all his Fall greens for the rest of the season. Spinach, chard, curly kale, arugula, salad mix, and mesclun. Mint, chives, garlic chives, and dill. Hot peppers, field tomatoes, summer and zucchini squash. Green beans and broccoli and cauliflower. . Black Angus grass fed beef, pastured pork products . Lots of sausages, bacon. ham. Acorn, neck pumpkins, turbands, peanut pumpkins.

pre- order their chickens (or their Turkeys) at order@truckpatchfarms.com

Roasted Kale. How do the rest of you make it? I rip it from the stems in pieces , spin it dry, toss in olive oil and spread out on a sheet pan and roast in a 450 degree oven until much of it is toasted. I don't get Kale Chips from it (I think you need to dehydrate them to get actual chips) but they are crispy and toasty and were very popular at dinner Saturday night....

Last week's offerings above looked incredible, but Mr. MV and I decided to stick nearby and go to the Del Ray market, what with the huge rally and all. Is there anything great, interesting or special of note that I should look for tommorow (besides a pumpkin whoopie pie :)) ?

Thanks!

Last week's offerings above looked incredible, but Mr. MV and I decided to stick nearby and go to the Del Ray market, what with the huge rally and all. Is there anything great, interesting or special of note that I should look for tommorow (besides a pumpkin whoopie pie :)) ?

Thanks!

I'm heading down tomorrow for my second visit. Time to stock up on Truck Patch! Not sure how we'd recognize each other, but say hi if you think you see me. I may or may not be accompanied by a tall red-headed friend (think 6' 6" tall), I'm 32, brown hair, look like I've eaten a tad too much Truck Patch bacon lately. :)

I'm heading down tomorrow for my second visit. Time to stock up on Truck Patch! Not sure how we'd recognize each other, but say hi if you think you see me. I may or may not be accompanied by a tall red-headed friend (think 6' 6" tall), I'm 32, brown hair, look like I've eaten a tad too much Truck Patch bacon lately. :)

Hi Choigirl-I looked around for a very tall red head but didn't see one! Sorry to miss you. Sometimes folks know who I am from my avatar, although we didn't take Tucker to the market today.

The market was less busy than the summer, but perhaps once the sun warmed things up, more crowds came. It was cold!

We bought 2 Truck Patch flat iron steaks and a pumpkin whoopie pie, also pork tenderloin and slab bacon from another producer whose name escapes me right now (but their pork products have been excellent).

San Marzano tomatoes.

Baby arugula

Hi everyone,

14&U will be full of fall root vegetables and greens and salads and radishes and brassicas of every variety, a huge selection of apples and unusual winter squashes, many potatoes and sweet potatoes, plus the summer vegetables that the freeze has so far spared Garner. A full market. And please visit our guest flower grower, Plantmaster. They have startlingly beautiful branches of saturated Fall colors: reds Ilex and purple beautyberries and orange bittersweets. Just want you want for your Thanksgiving tables.

• *NEW Spiced cake Pumpkin rolls with Keswick Quark Icing at Pecan....
  • *October (fresh shelled) beans and Vitamin Greens at Garner
  • *Every color of Cauliflower throughout the market: white, yellow, lime green spiral Romanesco broccoli cauliflower
  • *Cabbages in every color, size and shape: green, red, Arrow, Napa,
  • Savoy *Kales - Dinosaur, Red Bore, Green, Russian,
  • *Looking for QUINCE? Quince jam at Copper Pot: Quince sorbetto at
  • Dolcezza.
  • *Pheasant and venison pastas.... and hay smoke gnocchi at Copper Poto
  • *THREE kinds of beans: yellow, green and Roma at Garner--
  • *Sunchokes at Mountain View and Kuhn (good pureed with rabbit
  • ravioli)
  • *green tomatoes to fry up or make into chutney or pickles
  • for T-day.
  • *Lots of tender greens, sweetened by the frosts....
  • *Sale on Chicken Wings: Buy one pack, get one free at Pecan Meadow
  • *Fresh Moscovy whole ducks and duck breasts at Pecan Meadow

Yes, there are still grass strolling, grub eating turkey at Truck Patch. Want to special order some Holiday Baking from Lois? Stop at the Pecan Meadow Tent. Heads up. Next week we will be holding a fundraising bake sale for the DC State Fair (which started this year.) Thrifty DCCook and local food bloggers will be contributing the baked goods and running the stand. More on that later. Here is the link: if you want to join. My link

Truck Patch has a new butcher for their famous pork, and is bringing some new things to market this week: pulled pork, smoked kielbasa, smoked pork chops, Roll (a PA version of Canadian Bacon ). They should also have Brussels sprouts for about 15 minutes at 9 am before they sell out...

Don't throw out your beet stalks. This week I was about to throw away the stalks from some beautiful beets I had just bought and was roasting in the oven. The leaves were already cut into strips for sauteeing when I wondered for the first time: Are these stalks edible and tasty. I looked around my cookbooks and discovered that they are often treated like chards stalks in France -- bake them into a gratin. But I made soup of them. And they were delicious. I have thrown away thousands of beet stalks in my life, but no more!

Don't throw out your beet stalks. This week I was about to throw away the stalks from some beautiful beets I had just bought and was roasting in the oven. The leaves were already cut into strips for sauteeing when I wondered for the first time: Are these stalks edible and tasty. I looked around my cookbooks and discovered that they are often treated like chards stalks in France -- bake them into a gratin. But I made soup of them. And they were delicious. I have thrown away thousands of beet stalks in my life, but no more!

Laugh if you will, but the occasional Dutch Oven of Voodoo I roast consists of (among about 10 other things) whole beets on stalk. The stalks are absolutely akin to those of Swiss chard, and are one of my favorite things - they're a hand-challenge bitch to wash, but man are they worth it.

Cheers,

Rocks

Laugh if you will, but the occasional Dutch Oven of Voodoo I roast consists of (among about 10 other things) whole beets on stalk. The stalks are absolutely akin to those of Swiss chard, and are one of my favorite things - they're a hand-challenge bitch to wash, but man are they worth it.

Cheers,

Rocks

[garden/botany geek alert] Beets and Swiss chard are both cultivars of the same species, Beta vulgaris. An interesting summary can be found here .

I signed up for email updates at Truck Patch right before the close of the 2010 season. I received this today:

Hello from Truck PatchFriday, February 4, 2011 8:33 AM

From: "Truck Patch Farms" <Market@truckpatchfarms.com>Add sender to Contacts

To: "Truck Patch Farms" <Info@truckpatchfarms.com>

Greetings from Truck Patch Farms!

Hopefully you all have been staying warm and safe this winter season. We are in the process of setting up a location to deliver to near our market areas. Our goal would be to deliver a couple times before the market season gets started again. This would hopefully give you all a chance to re-stock your empty freezer :)

The plan would be for us to send out a delivery date and time, a list of available items and a time we would need the orders by.

Please let us know as soon as possible if this is something you would be interested in and if so preferable days and times.

Visits us on Facebook to post and view comments on deliver time and days.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks

Truck Patch Farm

3201 Sams Creek RD

New Windsor, MD 21776

Their pork is excellent, and they offer a wide variety of cuts and products like sausage, slab bacon. etc. If you're interested, give them an email/Facebook and avail yourself of some pig to hold you over until the market opens in Spring.

14th and U reopens this weekend at 9am. There are rumors of new vendors including a new flower producers. Get there early for the good stuff ;-)

Yes, we reopen today! 9-1 at 14th and U Streets NW.

I am very excited about our new bakers, Stephanie Willis and Jenna H of Adventures in Shaw and Modern Domestic blogger fame. Their new venture is called Whisked! Modern interpretations of American Classic Desserts. I tasted a lot of their sweets a few months ago and I was impressed. And they are not too sweet. Hand Pies. Seasonal Fruit Pies. A very addictive Molasses Spice Cookie. Bar Cookies (Lemon, Turtle, Grasshopper). Cupcakes., Quickbreads. And savory tarts that will change each week with the season. This week: Asparagus and Goat Cheese, fx.

Seasonal specials today: well, the wet weather has certainly helped the asparagus and all our veggie producers are touting theirs as the best. I am always impressed by Kuhn's tiny spears with CLOSED tips. So hard to find. Stefano has asparagus soup at Copper Pot. And I mentioned the Asparagus Tart at Whisked!

STRAWBERRIES at Garner for the early risers.

Sorrel at Truck Patch Another hard to find herb. I love it in omelets and in spinach sorrel soup...but of course it is the classic fish sauce.

Nettles at Mountain View Again, a great French soup ingredient and yes, you must wear gloves while washing and chopping the stems. Stefano has nettle gnocchi this week.

Freshly pressed apple cider at Kuhn. That's rare this time of year.. Sunchokes,

5 different kales, several different chards. spinach. mustards. lots of lettuces and arugula. Baby beets with their greens.

Granola from their own oats at Pecan Meadow

Dolcezza. gelato. Copper Pot.Pastas, sauces, jams. Cherry Glen Goat Cheese. McCleaf. Pecan Meadow's g rass fed Piedmontese beef and Lois' PA Tradition baking. Panorama has new breads.

Stop bv and say hello.

Excellent morning at 14th and U. Whisked had great goat cheese and asparagus hand pies-the perfect hung over food while walking around market. There was an abundance of asparagus and strawberries; an hour after market started there was still a lot of fragrant strawberries to choose from. Copper Pot had a first: spinach dip made from spinach from Gardeners. He also finally had meatballs. There is a place for the bigger markets, but there is something to be said for the smaller, less crowded markets that still have everything you are looking for.

Quick Update for Memorial Day:

We have some surprises at the market today: raspberries, squash blossoms, the baby squash grew up into adolescent zucchini, kousa, golden, pattypan after two days of 90 degree weather in the Northern Neck. New potatoes, Spring Onions. Garlic Scapes. The English peas may not be there next week if the heat continues. Mountain View brought the first of Shawna's gingery Kimchi and lively Sauerkraut. Both are excellent . Fermented food fans now have TWO places for their tradtional picklels: Mountain View and North Mt Pastures and they are creating very different kinds of traditonally fermented pickles. NMP has gingery carrots and Sauer Turnip

I have never seen so many lettuces. McCleaf has a 6 foot long table of lettuces alone and finally came with .3 huge bags of their sweet kale. First time this week. They added Lacinato this week, too.

Market Update for Saturday June 24:

The biggest news is that we will have both corn and peaches. Bernard (Garner) was carefully picking the best of his bicolor Friday afternoon. He said it will be sweeter and very abundant next week, but this week there will be corn if you come early. ( I actually like it slightly less sweet for Mexican recipes,) And Eggplants and blackberries that he waited three days to pick so that they would sweeten up. Kuhn posted to facebook that they would have the first peaches for early birds as well. And

"We will also have a mix and match special on Blueberries and Red Raspberries - any 2 for just $9.00!!! Also Sweet Cherries are on special - 2 pints for $8.00 or 2 quarts for $13.00. Looking to make jam, bake a lot of pies or freeze some fruit for winter? Ask about our flat prices on Blueberries and Sour Cherries for even bigger discounts!"

Lots of cherries, sweet and pie at Kuhn and McCleaf. I tasted Kuhn's on Wednesday at Donne' Malloy's new NoMa market and they were sweet and juicy and tart, all at once. Very good. Raspberries, too.

All these cherries remind me of Provence in early June. Les Temps des Cerises -- and for a few weeks in early June, we eat cherries with every meal. We pick dark sweet cherries from our neighbors' trees and heap them in huge bowls in the kitchen or dining room. My friend, Lory, has a HUGE tree that covers half her large yard and supplies most of the village of 350 people. Cherry Clafouti appears at every dinner party. EVERY dinner party. Frankly, by the end of June, we are tired of it, but not the first 10 or 15 clafoutis... and it is easy, just a thick batter or custard studded with cherries, baked in a large gratin dish. My village categorically believes that you must leave the pits IN, some villages pit the cherries but we consider them heretics. The Clafouti recipe is at the market table and the orchards will have lots of sweet and pie cherries. (Patricia Wells leaves OUT the pits and adds raspberries and other berries to her version.)

MOUNTAIN VIEW: Taste the new Garlic Scape Sauerkraut, 4 kinds of Kimchi, Kales, Swiss Chard, Carrots, Braising greens, Beets, shallots, Fresh Garlic, Tomatoes. Spanish Onions, Head lettuce, Squashes, Cucumbers.

NORTH MT PASTURES: Pink Kraut and Kimchi to go with those TP hot dogs, Ginger Carrots, Dixie Boudin, Hot and Italian Sausages. Guanciale, Tesa and Breakfast Bacon. Eggs. Chicken.

GARNER: The summer vegetables are here. Tomatoes from the fields, eggplants, candy onions (and Bernard writes: they are SWEET and perfect for salads and burgers) Flat Italian beans, wax beans, green beans, arugula, beets (yellow touchtone and red solos) , kohlrabi, blackberries, sweet cherry tomatoes, peppers, raspberries, cucumbers, new potatoes, celery, squash blossoms, summer squash in all shapes and colors and nationalities. Cabbages, chard, red, russian and green kales, cauliflower and romanesco . Spring onions.

TIP: I bought Garner's Italian flat beans on Sunday. They are so sweet and meaty. I parboiled them, tossed them into a skillet in olive oil with sauteed onion and garlic and some cherry tomatoes and let the veggies saute until the beans crisped and the tomatoes squished. Finished with chopped mint and chives. Simple and so good.

PLANTMASTERS: Our own Pop- Up Garden center every Saturday. Flowers, vegetables and herbs to plant. Lots of succulents for home or garden. Unusual cut flowers. Monster Lilies this week, with 10-14 flowers per stem.

KUHN: Berry Central: excellent blueberries that are juicy and sweet and tart at the same time. Especially the big ones. Red Raspberries, sweet Cherries, pie cherries. Garlic Scapes. French breakfast radishes, leeks to grill or marinade, butter head and green leaf lettuce. Cider. Jellies and Jams. Dried Fuji apples. Oregano, Tarragon, Mint, Thyme, Sage, Lavender, Catnip. Basil and Thai Basil. Bouquets.

MCCLEAF: Emperor Francis WHITE cherries, Valera and Ulster red cherries. Red, green and dinosaur gray--green (Lacinato, Tuscan) kale, first of their blueberries. Mild spring onions with tops. Fresh garlic, Garlic scapes.. Red and Romaine lettuce. Swiss chard, broccoli, cameo and Fuji apples. Honey Crisp Apple sauce, cauliflower and squash.

TRUCK PATCH: BEEF is back! And those pastured pork hot dogs, too. Eggs. Summer squash Lots of Greens: lettuce, salad mix, stir fry mix, arugula, Swiss chard, curly kale,herbs. Radishes. Pastured Pork. Grass fed beef. . Ground meat: beef, hamburger patties, ground pork, loose sausage, and ground ham. Sausages: Kielbasa, Andouille. sage, celery, applewurst, country hot, mild and hot Italian, sweet Italian with fennel, kielbasa, bratwurst. Steaks, chops and tenderloins, spare ribs, baby back ribs, pork shoulder. Their much admired bacon. Salad greens: spinach, arugula and mesclun. Kale, swiss chard, baby Swiss chard and maybe Red Lollorossa. Spring onions, red, yellow and white. Beets, red, golden and striped. Squash with and without the blossoms, maybe a few cucumbers. Herbs, chives, garlic chives, mint and chocolate mint.

PECAN MEADOW: All grass- feed -and -finished beef Bratwurst and Chorizo for those who do not like pork. Pastured Lamb. Pastured Goat. Very tender rabbit. Eggs.

COPPER POT Yes, Pasta makes a great summer meal. Stefano showed us last week at Bloomingdale how to make light cold summer pasta dishes last week. The key is using lots of vegetable with the pastas. Lots of ravioli and tortellini, chilled summer soups and jams.

CHERRY GLEN GOAT CHEESE: French- style Chevre, ricotta, crottins to grate, soft- rinded, brie- like cheeses that are creamy in the middle and firm white on the edges. Silver. Ash. Chipotle. Classic. Every summer salad goes well with goat cheese. Please try a free taste Saturday if you have never had it . In France, Christophe, the goat cheesemaker and jaz fan, asks: bien affine? And I would say that these are demi affine. Creamy AND crumbly, both. He always have 4 or 5 versions, totally fresh, a few days old, starting to age, half aged and very well aged. Cherry Glen has fresh chevre and the semi aged Silver, Ash, Chipotle, Classic and the very very well aged Crottins. Very French!

PANORAMA ARTISANAL BREADS: French style breads, baguettes, loaves, boules, sliced and not.

Thank you! I called and have 3 boxes awaiting me on Saturday. Will be making sauce the balance of the weekend :mellow:

Sorry I missed your question! If you need more of their toms for future canning, email Bernard at wboylejr AT gmail DOT com. Truck Patch has also run sales on canning toms this summer.

Sorry I missed your question! If you need more of their toms for future canning, email Bernard at wboylejr AT gmail DOT com. Truck Patch has also run sales on canning toms this summer.

Thanks. I think @ 35 quarts, I'm good. I may get more to can and give as gifts. High time I learn how to do this. Maybe next weekend. The boxes are such a great deal (considering Toigo's maters were $4 per pound which would make this venture too expensive).

Now to find my canning book...

Thanks. I think @ 35 quarts, I'm good. I may get more to can and give as gifts. High time I learn how to do this. Maybe next weekend. The boxes are such a great deal (considering Toigo's maters were $4 per pound which would make this venture too expensive).

Now to find my canning book...

I believe Toigo does as others do in discounting quantities. Farm at Sunnyside charged $25 for a 20-lb. box of organic tomatoes at Dupont Circle this weekend, for example, to entice canners whereas its organic, field-grown heirlooms and standards cost more than $1.25 when you're buying only a few pounds.

I believe Toigo does as others do in discounting quantities. Farm at Sunnyside charged $25 for a 20-lb. box of organic tomatoes at Dupont Circle this weekend, for example, to entice canners whereas its organic, field-grown heirlooms and standards cost more than $1.25 when you're buying only a few pounds.

Anna makes a good point. Many producers will offer discounts for large quantities for canning sauces and jams. Just ask your favorite.

14&U Farmers Market this Saturday -- last 3 weeks of market for 2011

A huge, huge thanks to everyone who braved the cold, miserable rain we had last week! I am looking forward to sun this Saturday but as you know and have seen more than once this year: we are there for you in sun or shine, rain or sleet, hot or cold.

I want to talk about EGGS this week because I was emailing with Lois Stark (Pecan Meadow) about what she likes to do with her farm's eggs and also because my husband (working in Vienna this semester and cooking on his own) is trying to graduate from scrambled eggs to the Jacques Pepin golden French omelet from the New York Times two weeks ago. I am coaching from DC. So Eggs are on my mind. I saw a beautiful onion tart recipe yesterday from Jean Georges that I just posted to fb. It is a variation on an onion quiche -

Here is what I have been doing. Mixed them with sauteed grated butternut squash and onion and cooked slowly into an ochre-colored frittata. Scrambled them with chopped parsley, chives and tarragon. Went French and made a creamy, delicate brouillade: cooked the scrambled eggs very slowly, stirring, in a pan over a pot of simmering water, It is always a revelation of what a scrambled egg can be and it is just a few minutes longer. Worth the wait. You cannot make crepes without eggs and I was trained in the Richard Olney school of crepes where you use very little flour to a lot of eggs. Jose Andres Spanish Tortilla with potato chips.

Here is Lois' list: of rustic Pennsylvania egg dishes.

*egg casseroles: any of the various breakfast type dishes that are mixed and baked, consisting mainly of eggs, bread, milk cheese and a meat (sausage, ham, bacon) in many variations. (I would add that they can be made easily meatless)

*Cornstarch Pudding: homemade vanilla pudding thickened with cornstarch

*Red Beet eggs -- peeled hardboiled eggs are soaked in pickled red beet juice ( go over to Mt View or North Mt Pastures) for several hours until the eggs are red on the outside. When cut in half, they look very colorful with a red ring, white and yellow/orange yolk.

*Poached eggs

*Creamed eggs over toast

*Eggnog

*Egg salad sandwiches for a quick lunch (on Pano whole wheat?)

And here is MY hard boiled egg secret....because everyone wants to know how long to hard boil eggs and I have hated over-boiled eggs ever since I was a college student who had to peel hundreds of eggs after plucking them one by one from huge bowls of ice cold water -- at 6 am. Instant kitchen frost bite. They were15 minute eggs. No problems peeling them but they tasted like concrete.

Start the eggs in cold water in a small pot, heat on a high flame until they boil, cover immediately and turn off the heat. Let the eggs sit in the hot water under the cover for 8 minutes. This gives me a hard boiled egg but the center is a little moist. Not soft, not runny but with good moisture. If you like it drier, try 9 or 10 minutes... never more than that. Try a couple of eggs. Pull one out at 8 minutes, one at 9 and one at 10. Crack and plunge into a bowl of cold water to make it easier to peel. I am sure we can all dispute this method! One day I will get a sous vide something and try it that way but for now, this is foolproof for me.

We have great pastured eggs from chickens that run free at our two main producers: Pecan Meadow and Truck Patch and a few dozen every week at Plantmasters.

What's new at the market

*Firewood (dry and seasoned), field cress and white hayman sweet potatoes at Garner

* *Freshly dug horse radish, pink lady apples at Kuhn. Time for roast beef or hanger steak with horse radish cream, no?

* Jonagold Applesauce and spiced Apple Butter, chestnuts and sunchokes at Kuhn

*Pumpkin Rolls at Pecan Meadow-- an inside out version of her famous pumpkin whoopie pie

* Brussels Sprouts at Garner and we hope at Truck Patch.

* *Green Tomatoes everywhere for fried green tomatoes and chutneys.

* *Guinea Fowl ( Pintade in France) and Narragansett heritage turkeys -- a few early birds (ouch).

* Sales on bags of red onions or shallots at Kuhn-- Half Price on heirloom pumpkins last hour of the market. She has all kinds of European and heritage varieties.

* BIG Sales on half bushel boxes of apples or pears at Kuhn (sidkuhnorch@gmail.com) and McCleaf -- but you have to order in advance (mccleafsorchard@embarqmail.com)

* Paper Whites at Plantmasters

* Real Italian Meatballs, Braised Beef Cheeks, Caulflower-truffle soup, Ham & Parm Tortellini, Fall Ratatouille at Copper Pot

* ROSE VEAL at Mountain View

*Breaking News: Apples, Pears, Cauliflower (and cukes) are not just delicious -- they lower the risk of stroke My link

Need winter squash cooking inspiration? April McGreger waxed eloquent in Grist last year:

"By far the tastiest method for cooking winter squash is to roast it in big chunks that have been tossed with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. Roasting the pumpkin slightly caramelizes it and gives it an amazing depth of flavor that I find totally addictive. You can then use the roasted pumpkin in many different ways. I love big chunks of it on top of a salad of spicy mixed greens and hazelnuts, walnuts, or pecans. Many other cultures have explored the savory possibilities of winter squash with much greater depth."

"In the Mediterranean, they make a lovely autumnal hummus of roasted pumpkin and tahini. The French love their pumpkin gratins; the Italians, their pumpkin risottos and ravioli. In Mexico, they make a delicious raw sugar roasted pumpkin very similar to Southern candied yams. I particularly love pumpkin when its sweetness is countered with a bit of spice, such as the savory tarts that I make with pumpkin and a spicy Indian tomato chutney and the agrodolce (sweet-sour) pumpkin from Mario Batali."

MOUNTAIN VIEW: Certified Organic, and farmed on an environmental reserve in Loudoun County. Celeriac for making a classic French celery root salad or adding to soups and stews. White Haven Sweet Potato which are wonderful baking potatoes. Daikon. Did you know that Daikon is common in Indian curries? (I didn't) Tons of Salad greens, arugula, braising greens, kales, mustards, collards sweetened by the frost, beets, carrots, Hakurei turnips, potatoes, Unusual varieties of winter squash like the golden and edible skin Thelma Sanders Sweet Potato Squash and a gorgeous Japanese variety that looks like an ancient Japanese ceramic. Light Green Goose neck gourds.

WHISKED: Cool weather comfort food is their theme this week. Scalloped Potato Tarts with Asiago cheese, onions and fresh herbs, Pear and Vanilla Bean Pie, Chicken Pot Pie. The Apple Blue Cheese and Walnut Loaf tastes like your very own cheese plate in a breakfast loaf, Pumpkin Cranberry Loaf, Pumpkin Coffee Cake. The tarts make perfect cool weather meals without the messy clean up.

THE ORCHARDS: Kuhn and McCleaf: Between them more than 20 varieties of apples, pears! Lots of cider. Sweet potatoes. Sweet and Spicy onions. Canned peaches in water (sugar free) or light sugar syrup. And a huge variety of Fall and Winter Squash. Kales, Jams ,Jellies, Dried Apples. Tomatoes Cherry Tomatoes.

TIP: Cider Glazed root veggies. Melt some butter (or butter and olive oil) in a large pan or pot. Add 2 pounds of roughly chopped parsnips, carrots, turnips, onions and coat them with the butter. Then add about a cup of cider. Cover, cook until veggies are tender. Uncover and turn up the heat so that the liquid reduces to a delicious glaze. Serve. You can sprinkle with a sweet spice like cinnamon or nutmeg. Variant: I like to flavor the liquid with half of a star anise in the pot with the veggies. Or a whole uncut hot pepper to add a whisper of heat under that cider.

TRUCK PATCH: Bryan had a fair amount of snow Sunday and that has affected the quantity of harvest so come early for those terrific arugula greens. I buy a huge bag and eat some kind of arugula salad for lunch all week long. It stays very fresh. The cauliflowers are thriving: white and cheddar, broccoli, romanesco. Arugula, mesclun, spinach, salad greens, chard, kales, acorn and butternut squash. Cilantro, Italian Parsley and green tomatoes. Reserve your turkeys!

Thanksgiving is coming. Reserve one of their pastured, white, broad- breasted Turkeys that have been roaming their fields, eating grubs for the last few months. Besides their famous- and -much- appreciated- by -local -restaurants- pork, ie the tenderloins and shoulder roasts and chops and steaks and bacons and sausages of all kinds, TP has all the tasty variety meats (tender, rich jowls, feet, neck, lard, fatback, etc). EGGS from pastured chickens.

I have fallen in love with pork jowls after my French butcher ( actually, it is a Triperie, so a specialized butcher in variety meats) gave me his recipe.

He bakes it in a low oven on a bed of chopped leeks and carrots. I added port- soaked figs for the last half hour. Really good.

Pre-order chickens and Thanksgiving Turkeys at order@truckpatchfarms.com

COPPER POT: maple roasted butternut squash tortellini, sweet potato gnocchi, oxtail tortellini, ravioli (duck, rabbit). spinach and ricotta ravioli, red beets and ricotta ravioli. Jam: apricot and rosemary, peach and prosecco, strawberry-vanilla, wonderful sauces and the changing soups of the week. Meatballs( real Italian), Cauliflower and truffle soup, Braised Beef cheeks (oh, yum. yum)

PLANTMASTERS: Thanks to their new hoop house, they still have brilliant blue Mexican Sage (and lilies that will be ready for next week). Red and Orange Ilex, bittersweet, red twig Dogwood and pussy willow branches. Paper white Narcissus gardens for indoors The ornamental cabbages and kales look spectacular. You can see them on the fb page Friday. They have developed very deep, rich colors.

PECAN MEADOW FARM: Free running chickens produced their beautiful brown eggs fed on organic grains. Italian beef sausages. meadow- pastured lamb and 100% grass- fed, grass- finished, Piedmontese- American cows with very beefy flavor. Steaks. Eye Round, Chuck and Arm make easy- to -cook, slow roasts for these cooler nights. Ground Beef, Hamburger Patties, Bones, kidneys, tongue. Chicken Liver, Heart and gizzards for humans and dogs! Goose, Duck and those great Italian breeds of chickens. Goat, duck (whole, breasts, legs), mallard duck, chicken (whole or parts), goose, rabbit,

Baked and Snacks: Ryan's own roasted, and ground Indian Corn meal........ Lois' Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, Apple Pies, Pumpkin Bread. and Dried Honey Crisp Apples. Reserve a Narragansett heritage turkey ( $6/pound) at: Email: bluemeadowbeef@juno.com or call: 717 423 5365

GARNER: COLLARDS. Broccoli. Fry up some of his green tomatoes. Cook up his tender greens. Plus beets, spinach, arugula, mustard greens, turnip greens, Japanese mustard/vitamin greens, leaf lettuce, Swiss Chard, baby turnips, lots of winter squash ( acorn, butternut, spaghetti, carnival, festival), Gold potatoes, sweet potatoes. green tomatoes for frying and pickling. Lima beans October beans, white beans, black beans. No freeze yet so there will still be red field tomatoes, peppers. Sweet Potato Butter, pumpkin butter, red pepper jelly.

CHERRY GLEN GOAT CHEESE: Chevre, ricotta and brie like, soft ripened cheeses like the 2010 Blue Ribbon Chipotle.

PANORAMA ARTISANAL BAKERY: French Baguette. Pumpernickel, more whole wheat, regular baguettes croissants, more sliced multi grains, more brioches, more poppy seed and sesame seed boule....

NORTH MOUNTAIN PASTURES: Reserve your turkey, cured meats, Weisswort, sauerkraut and fermented pickles, bacons, tessa.

We Welcome Wic and Senior Get Fresh Checks and SNAP/EBT Food Stamps. We donate crates of food every week to Martha's Table, our gleaning partner.

Last market of 2011. And we have Joe Yonan cooking up Miso Pork and Sweet Potato from his book, Serve Yourself: Nightly Adventures in Cooking For One. 11-noon. I had the pleasure of testing 10 recipes for the book and I think the recipes all have a interesting creative twist to them. I recommend it.

If you are looking for a heritage turkey, Pecan Meadow has Narragansetts. I roasted a small one two weeks ago because I did not know the breed and I liked it. Very deep turkey flavor. Dry brined it for several days. Truck Patch and North Mt Pastures have white broad breasted gobblers raised properly on pasture and bugs. If you are a turkey hater, Pecan Meadow has: guinea fowl, chicken,goose, rabbit, duck, goat,lamb and their half Piedmontese beef. Truck Patch has every cut of pork and variety meat including fatback, lard, jowls, tails, hocks as well as the more common ribs, chops, roasts, sausages.

Sales: Kuhn and McCleaf have been offering half bushel boxes of apples at steep discounts. Both have significant sales on onions and shallots. Garner has 25 pound boxes of sweet potatoes for 15 bucks. Kuhn has wonderful flavorful European and heirloom winter squash half price.

• Lots of all the cold sweetened greens, arugula, mesclun, salad greens, Hayman White Sweet Potatoes (and all the others as well) horse radish, chestnuts, freshly dried black, white and October beans. Green beans. Cauliflowe in three colors, broccoli and fractal Romanesco. brussels sprouts, potatoes, turnips, various cabbages, bok choy, daikons, field cress, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Carrots . Sunchokes. beets. Garlic. Cilantro.
  • At least 20 apple varieties. Pears, European and Asian.
  • Kimchi, sauerkraut, Gingered Carrots, Spicy beans - all lacto fermented.
  • Beautiful jars of single variety heirloom tomatoes at Truck Patch.
  • Honey. jams. jellies. Apple and pumpkin butters, ciders. Indian cornmeal, Indian popcorn,

Decorative gourds, broom corn

Desserts: Whisked's pumpkin pie, Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Pie, Apple Pie, Chicken Pot Pie , Goat Cheese and Caramelized Onion Pie plus all their loaves, cookies, handpies and brownies.

Lois has pumpkin whoopie pies from their own pumpkins, apple pie, pecan pie, pumpkin pie...

Pastas and Soups and Jams: 2 new jams from Copper Pot to complement the feast: Quince and cinnamon, prune and mulling spices. Soups are Cauliflower and trufflel, Butternut Squash, Confit Sunchoke. Pastas: duck ravioli, rabbit ravioli, oxtail tortellini, cheese and truffle tortellini. i like the idea of starting with his maple roasted pumpkin ravioli or pear ricotta ravioli. Potato gnocchi.

It is going to be cold at the beginning of the market. We will reward hardy souls with hot cider.

Robin

If you are going to shop this week, please do it Wednesday at Whole Foods. Why? We are trying to raise 20,000 dollars for matching the value of food stamp, WIC and Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program coupons at 14&U and 4 other farmers market.

Whole Foods will donate 5 % of all sales tomorrow Wednesday the 14th at their P Street and Gtown stores to double our food assistance programs

We would love it if you stocked up for the holidays tomorrow -- wreaths, olive oil, large rounds of cheese, cases of wine or beer, flour, nuts, avocados, pineapples, pomegranates, -- everything counts. But whether you need a bag of oranges or a big shop, please do it tomorrow when it will help low income families buy twice as many fruits and vegetables at the markets in 2012.

We have put together an exciting lineup of local chefs doing in-store cooking demos throughout the day, including John Melfi of Blue Duck Tavern, Peter Smith & Gina Chersevani of PS7 (of course she is making a cocktail), Jinny Fleishman of Company's Coming and Ris LaCoste of Ris. For a complete listing of chefs and the demo schedule, check out the DC Greens events page. http://dcgreens.org/events

Please spread the word.

Thank you.

Robin

14&U Farmers' Market reopens Saturday May 5 at 9 am with 8 different varieties of strawberries and lots of asparagus, both green and purple. My favorite variety is Earliglo, a small berry with a sweet wonderful flavor that reminds me of French wild strawberries. Great flavor and short shelf life, the very example of a variety that you will never find in a supermarket. It does not ship well and you should eat it soon. I try to eat mine within 24 hours because refrigeration is not ideal for it. If you want berries that are less delicate, there will be Chandlers and Dar Selects and Ovation and Jewel.

Of course the market will be full of greens and salads and arugula and roots - radishes and Hakurei turnips and many varieties of baby beets with their greens. But there will also be Kohlrabi and maybe sugar snap peas.

Cherry Glen Goat Cheese will be at market. It is no longer at Mt Pleasant so we are the only DC market (Takoma on Sundays) for their chevre, ricotta, crottins and declensions of Monocracy, soft ripened with ash, chipotle and two other variations.

Whisked is bringing strawberry cream pies, spinach-basil quiche, a blue cheese onion tart and their favorite cookies. One bite of Jenna's crackerjacks "whisked' me right back to childhood at a Saturday Matinee. Turtle bars, lemon bars, too.

Duck eggs, goose eggs and chicken eggs at Pecan Meadow along with their pastured goat, lamb, half piedmontese beef, rabbit. Truck Patch has taken the Turkey plunge and decided not to wait for Thanksgiving. Bryan is convinced that Turkey is the best of fowl and he has ground and boneless Turkey breasts as well as his pastured pork, now foraging in the lower 40 of his farm. He is very enthusiastic about his St Louis ribs, btw. Meatier and fatter than baby backs.

lots more but come see.

MUSHROOMS come to 14&U FM. (At last)

Takoma Mushrooms, a new hyperlocal mushroom grower, joins the market on Saturday. Please come by (they will be on the U Street side between McCleaf and Mountain View) and see them. Be sure to try the "grey doves" which are described as having a sweet, shrimp-like flavor.

Let me introduce Joe and Sarah. Although he is a physicist and she is a lawyer, their greatest passion is for mushrooms. When I first met them, their mushroom house was in Shaw, just a few blocks away. But they realized that the space they needed was, shall we say, mushrooming... so they moved to Takoma Park where they rebuilt a much larger mushroom house. That is why they were not able to join us in May when we opened for the season.

That is the big news of the week and I hope every one of you will stop at our new mushroom stand, Takoma Mushrooms. This week it is on the U Street side of the market between Mountan View and McCleaf.

Date: Saturday 9-1

Place: 14th and U Streets NW

Other news this week: baby artichokes and yellow nectarines at Kuhn's Orchards plus fennel and leeks and French shallots. Jam makers: they are running a sale on flats of blueberries (12 pints) plus berry specials on gooseberries, currants, raspberries.

Garner has bushels of yellow sweet corn, hot and sweet peppers, eggplants, the best cucumbers (sweet,stubby salt and pepper cukes), squash flowers, 6 varieties of squash, kales, chard,

Whisked: Jenna is making cherry pies for July 4th picnics and sweet corn, cheddar and Jalapeno quiche because she was so inspired by Garner's bushels of corn last week. Her 6 inch pies are perfect for two (or one very hungry guy) but she has larger pies for the festivities as well. They are just not on the table but in the cooler. Ask her.

McCleaf: Blueberries raspberries, blackberries, yellow and white peaches, lettuces, currants, kales, apples. Fuji apple juice (nice on a HOT DAY)

Pecan Meadow: Hamburger and ground beef central for the holiday. Lots of steaks. Chickens. Duck. Lamb. Goat Eggs (chicken, duck, goose).

Truck Patch: How about some pastured pork on the grill? Every cut of pork you can imagine and all the sausages as well. I made spice -rubbed ribs again the other night, cooked low and slow and then crisped. Delicious. Eggs (and maybe the Turkey breasts will be back this week). Arugula. Baby Chard. Spinach. Red and White Spring Onions. Kales.

Mountain View: Pickled Spicy Garlic Scapes, Kimchi, Attila's Hungarian peppers, beets, cucumbes, chard, kale, lettuce, summer squash, mustards, tomatoes..carrots. turnips. fennel. Kimchi and hot dogs (meat or faux) are a classic mix.

Panorama: More croissants, more baguettes, more rolls for July 4th picnics. Plus all the other breads

Cherry Glen: Provencal style Chevre, ricotta, semi aged soft rounds of brie like Monocracies in Silver, Ash and Chipotle. Crottins.

Dolcezza: Perfect for a hot day. New flavors include: honey lavender and chocolate mint plus all your favorites.

See you Saturday. Come early if it is hot. Visit Takoma Mushrooms and talk to Joe and Sarah.

Robin

More Mushrooms this week: Sarah and Joe at Takoma Mushroom now have three different oyster mushrooms at the stand (which moves this week to the spot next to Garner, still on the U Street side,but closer to the corner.) The goldens were ethereal and the grays have a shrimpy taste. The new one Sarah called Steel Blue and i have not tasted it yet but I will Saturday night after market. They have been selling out by noon, so come early for a good selection.

Purslane/Verdolagas: The farmers are amazed that anyone eats "those weeds" but were delighted last week when one of our Mexican customers snatched up everything McCleaf had on the table. I am waging a Purslane Campaign so please come by and buy some so that they keep bringing them. I first had purslane about 16 years ago when an italian friend plucked it out of my garden in Quinson and told me how she and her ex husband used them as their only salads every summer on a small island in Southern italy. They do have a lemony flavor and I like them with tomatoes and cucumbers in a vinaigrette or yogurt dressing. Paula Wolfert has a Damascus Summer Salad with Purslane, a Thracian salad with purslane, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives and arugula and a spicy Gaziantep Summer Salad with parsley, tomatoes, green pepper, sumac and lemon and olive oil. Gourmet does a grilled zucchini salad with purslane and tomatoes in a mustard vinaigrette. Mexicans make Verdolagas with Potatoes in Green Salsa. Vongerichten does a Purslane Frittata and Chef Todd Humphries combines baby golden and Chioggia Beets with purslane and Tarragon Vinaigrette. Hope that makes you curious about this wild green.

Also new this week: Panorama is introducing a Garlic Pamesan baguette and a Kalamata Olive baguette.

Garner will be Melon Central with three kinds of watermelons, muskmelons and cantaloups. Truck Patch is heirlooms squash center. I am totally charmed by the Costata Romanescos whose deep ridges turn out green sprockets when they are sliced. I am interested in trying the new Magda variety that Bryan says is nutty. Mountain View has fabulous Hungarian peppers because Attila is a pepper whisperer.

Lots of peaches, plum, berries, currants, summer apples, corn, heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, beans, cucumbers, chards, kales, okra, potatoes...

Garner's "mighty fine tomatoes" (as Deangold put it two years ago in this very thread) are on sale Saturday (and Sunday at Bloomingdale FM). 25 pound box of "blood red" Primo Reds for just $20 -- less than 1 dollar a pound. And great for sauces, gazpacho, blood mary parties, etc. Email Bernard to reserve at wbboylejr@gmail.com AND BE SURE TO SPECIFY THE PICKUP: EITHER 14&U SATURDAY OR BLOOMINGDALE SUNDAY.

Purslane: or Portulaca or Verdolagas at McCleaf, Plantmasters and Pecan Meadow are a citrusy, succulent hot weather salad green very popular in Mexico, Greece and Southern Italy.

Takoma Mushrooms: Pink, Gold, Blue and Gray oyster mushrooms. I have been sauteeing a pound every week and they are delicious and tender and make a wonderful brouillade. Joe and Sarah who grow them like to saute them with zucchini.

Heirloom Tomatoes are in this week at Truck Patch and McCleaf and Mountain View. Look for Mortgage Lifter, Brandy Boy, Green Zebra, Scarlet Red, Cherokee purple, jetsetter, Carolina Gold, Mr. Stripey, Biltmore, Sun Cherry, Sweet 100, Sun Gold, Black Cherry, Golden Treasure, Stupice. Mountain View has Czech heirlooms.

Cucumbers are in abundance this week. Peppers are as well...Eggplants... Squash. In fact, ratatouille would be perfect.

Robin

Mushroom fans, TakomaMushroons has local foraged chanterelles , Porcinis and Reishi for tea at the stand today Aug 4 along with their beautiful oyster shrooms.

Dog Day Specials today include:

*one day sale on all Dolcezza gelato

*pie raffle at Whisked!

*sale on French breakfast pastries at Panorama

*lois' chocolate whoopsie pies with peanut butter icing at Pecan Meadow

*2 cooking demo

*Listen Local First Musicians 10-1

Evey stand is full of heirloom tomatoes and garner is running a box sale on tomato seconds for sauce etc: 25 pounds/15 dollars.

Along with their peaches, plums, berries, zest at and other summer apples, Kuhn has tomatillos, cilantro, shallots, French Filet beans, fennel, leeks. McCleaf has purslane.

I am in Provence right now and we have been eating purslane in salads at every dinner. It is wonderful with frisée or sliced tomatoes or shaved fennel salads.

Pecan Meadow has a full inventory of their half Piedmontese grass fed and finished beef plus goat, lamb, rabbit,chicken , guinea hen, duck, duck and chicken eggs. Truck Patch is pork central for all cuts. Chicken, too. Heirloom squash varieties.

Mountain View has wonderful Hungarian peppers, fennel, leeks, beets, squash, and Shawna's ferments: this week Dill pickles, Cortido, Salsa.

Today is our last market of 2012.

• And we have Mangalitsa pork with its amazing fat (think lardo!) at Truck Patch. Come now -- it will go very fast
  • Narrangansett heritage Turkeys at Pecan Meadow (small ones left 6-8 pounds,the larger ones having been reserved weeks ago.
  • Truck Patch has Broad Breasted Whites.
  • 25 pound boxes of sweet potatoes for 15 dollars. Sales on Collards.
  • All of Whisked's Thanksgiving Pies
  • Pecan Meadow's cornmeal
  • romanesco at TRuck Patch
  • Japanese sweet potatoes at Mt View -- and escarole
  • Oyster and shiitake and the first maitakes at Takoma Mushroom
  • Brusselsn on stalk

The market is full of greens and roots and spuds of all kinds, gorgeous apples. A Fall market in full glory and a lovely day to close our 2012 season.

The 14&U farmers' market opens tomorrow, Saturday May 4th and besides heaps and heaps of green and purple asparagus, we will have our first strawberries at Garner and two other seasonal finds: nettles and watercress. I have that adopted French feeling that one should make soup of them because both make velvety portions -- I plan to combine them this year although I usually make two separate soups. Nettles are definitely worth braving their sting -- just wear gloves in washing them.

Lots of greens, both salad and cooking, thanks to the cool, wet Spring. Sweet Japanese turnips with greens. Young beets with greens. Radishes. All three of these roots made good raw salads and are also lovely braised. Sunchokes.

Whisked has gone mad and is bringing us 4 different pies: Apple Frangipane, a reconstruction of a classic French tart; a nod to tradition with strawberry rhubarb, Asparagus Quiche because how can you ignore all those green sprouts and kale-feta pie. Lois created the DC craze for Whoopie Pies with her Pumpkin Whoopie pie and it is back for a few weeks. At one last market, a customer bought 20 or 30 for the freezer. And Panorama has a new baker, imported from Brittany, who is revamping all their pastries.

Besides the strawberries, we have freshly pressed cider at Kuhn and McCleaf's amazing Fuji juice. And apples -- Goldrush, Pink Lady, Braeburn and other good keepers that are still crisp after their hibernation in proper storage. Honeycrisp Apple sauce too.

Rich duck eggs make luscious omelets, huge Goose eggs , chicken eggs. Rabbit. Duck whole and parts, fresh chicken, grass fed steaks, pastured pork including jows and scrapple. Lamb.

And Pleasant Pops has joined us as well.

What is new at the market? Squash blossoms at Garner and Truck Patch on Saturday. Baby Yukon Gold spuds and broccoli and cauliflower and rapini. Mt View has an unusual giant Joi Choi bok choy. Everyone has spinach and kales and radishes and chards and mustards.

8 different varieties of summer squash including my favorite -- the pale green Lebanese Kousa because it becomes concentrated-- not watery. Last night back from 4 days of eating nonstop in Chicago, I made a "carpaccio" of very fresh squash and then saved the peel- resistant innards to grate and saute with leek greens. Looked like a leek risotto when I finished. Tonight will be pureed white leek and yellow squash soup.

4 or 5 different beets. Lovely small leeks. Pretty red and white Spring Onions of various kinds -- some that look like scallions on steroids and others that have big, fat bulbs. Candy Onions.

I am fascinated by the the peas and sugar snaps this year: There are English shelling peas (shelled and unshelled) and the flat sugar snaps but there are also fat sugar snaps that have small peas inside edible pods. A two-fer because you can steam or quick boil the popped peas and then use the pods for a different preparation.

Still have rhubarb for a week or two at Kuhn and McCleaf. Garner's strawberries are almost done but the Penn and Md berries will last a few more weeks depending on the weather.

I have fallen for Number 1 Sons New York style pickles, their kimchi and their krauts.

Salsify at the market today.  This funny -- shaggy looking -- long, skinny, tap rooted root vegetable  is at Kuhn.  Hard to find, rarely grown around here.  Cooked it does not taste like oysters although it is called the oyster plant, but more like artichoke hearts while Jerusalem artichokes not do-- raw they taste like water chestnuts to me.  Carrots, parsnips, salsify, jerusalem artichokes -- we have lots of roots at market today.  And brussel sprouts.  And tons of greens.

And Bonnie Benwick as chef at market, with her gougers and sweet and sour pumpkin. 11-12:30

Yes, it is dull and gray and cold and dampish -- but the market stands are very inviting..

• Super Strawberry Sale at Truck Patch Saturday.   Truck Patch has a flat of 8 quarts of chandlers for $32 -- and the delicate Earliglows for $40. 

If you are a fan of Frankie's cocktails at Gibson, stop by the market at 11 for a Mixology Demo.  Frankie is making magic with...strawberries, of course.

Cherry Glen has 4 new cheeses -- aged chevre balls in herb infused oils. 

Number 1 Sons has their fermented garlic and Salsa so Verde this week along with the pickles, kimchis and krauts

Lots of grass fed and finished, half Piedmontese beef at Pecan Meadow-- 10 different Steaks

Duck and Goose and Chicken Eggs

Truck Patch Pastured Pork -- all over the  menu at Dino's, in case you want to know.

First Tomatoes at Garner from the High tunnels

Spinach, kales, frilly mustards, swiss chards, collards, bok choi

really gorgeous heads of lettuce at Ivy Brand -- Salad greens are great but heads of lettuce are wonderful for lettuce wraps  (envelope grilled everything) . composed salads, and it will be too hot for them soon so please try them.

Zucchini, baby squash, radishes, persian cucumbers,

Rhubarb --not just for sweets -- they make a wonderful tart accent to greens

Of course Whisked's strawberry rhubarb pie is pretty good, too.

Garner's Glut Tomato Sale: $15/25 pound box of field reds -- not heirlooms.  wbboylejr@gmail.com by Friday 5 pm for pick up at U Street Saturday.  I just oven roasted 25 pounds overnight at 200 with lots of basil, olive oil, garlic and zipped them into quart bags.  My winter secret.  And they take up so little room in the freezer that I will do another 25 pounds this week.  Maybe 50.

*KUHN:

• *Raspberries and Blackberries - 2 for $9.00
  • *Flats of Blackberries - $54.00 (12 pints per flat)
  • *Cherry tomatoes - 2 half pints

IVY BRAND: is taking advantage of the cooler weather we have had with salad mix and head lettuce. The Fall squash have started as well: acorn, delicata and spaghetti. Kale, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, sweet peppers, hot peppers, potatoes, fingerling potatoes, carrots, and beets.

KUHN: Peaches: Bounty yellow, White Lady, donuts. Summer Beaut and white  nectarines, blue Italian plums for baking and cooking,  apples (Sansa, summer mack, ginger gold, zestar, Rambo.  Lots of berries. okra, bitter melons look like a prehistoric cuke.  Leeks, onions (copra, cippolini, red zeppelin, shallots, garlic). Carrots, sweet peppers, tomatoes (heirloom, cherry, salad). Basil, dill, parsley, cilantro, sage.

McCLEAF: New this week: Fennel, radishes, broccoli, cabbage, Fairy tale eggplant. Heirloom and cherry tomatoes, summer squash, colorful sweet and hot peppers, kales (dino, red and winterbore), red and golden beets. Sweet corn.

FRUIT: Peaches, Plums, Pluots, nectarines.  Pluots are 70 percent plums and 30% apricot hybrid.  Sweeter than plums usually.

TRUCK PATCH has a lovely mix of summer squash, lovingly selected heirloom tomatoes, arugula, salad mix, chard, kale, spinach. Incredibly long Armenian cukes, squash blossoms, pesto ready basil, beets, and all the pastured pork (in chops, steaks, roasts, sausages,) you can imagine plus free range chicken.

GARNER: Bernard tomato fields are thriving, "ordinary reds', romas, beefsteak, "early girls and heirlooms-- and cherry toms. Baby Limas (American edamame) are great quick boiled and seasoned with olive oil and salt and lemon.  Black eyed peas cook up quickly when they are so fresh and make a good salad with grilled anything. Japanese, white, Italian and Thai eggplant; Squash: Patty pan. Yellow. Zucchini. Ishtar is that pale green Lebanese variety. Kousa is another middle eastern varietal.  I find them buttery and not watery. Eight ball, golden zucchini. Sweet Corn, okra, potatoes, peppers sweet and hot, green and yellow and Roma beans. Melons: sun, cantaloupes and seedless  watermelons in red and yellow. Swiss chard and arugula.  Mint, dill and parsley.

PLANTMASTERS: Coming back from vacation is easier when you fill your home with local flowers. Dahlias in saturated colors, sunflowers, large white hydrangeas, rainbow-hued zinnias, and all the pretty fillers that set off your garden bouquets. The Leons are bringing some house plants like ivy, peppers and succulents, herbs to brighten your recipes and annuals to perk up your garden. Spoiler alert: cool stuff coming for fall in just a couple of weeks

PANORAMA: French bread baked by French bakers "“ baguettes, croissants, palmiers, Danish, scones, Breton specialties. Whole wheat, rye, pumpernickel, rustiques, country, sour dough "“ boules and sandwich breads too. Rolls and buns.

Pecan Meadow: lots of their half Piedmontese grass fed and finished beef, goat, lamb, duck, eggs.

CHERRY GLEN: Just 28 miles away in Boyds, Maryland, Shayne and Ashley make French style goat cheese "“ ricotta, chevre, aged Monocacies. And the new infusions.

NUMBER 1 SONS: A huge selection of DC's best traditional New York pickles, Korean kimchi and a variety of krauts from Central American curtidos to classic German sauerkrauts.  Fermented and fabulous. My fridge is always full of their flavors.  This week I have both half sours and kicky kosher picklels, rosetido kraut and classic kimchi.

WHISKED: Who can resist Jenna's pies? Sweet or savory. Jenna says: We're bringing back another great summer pie this week - our blackberry nectarine pie (yes, we love combining berries and stone fruit). This was a favorite at the stand last summer and we're happy to bring it back at the height of the stone fruit season. Also Classic Peach with Crumble Topping, Sea Salt Chocolate Chess (a cult favorite) is a cross between a brownie and a flourless chocolate cake. Corn, Tomato Basil Savory Quiche and Bacon, Cheddar and Onion. And all those cookies!

See you Sa

• Like 1