14th & U Market, 14th & U Streets NW

TedE

Panorama's olive oil buns and Parmesan hamburger buns got a terrifc shout out today in All We Can Eat today:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/all-we-ca...urger.html#more

When I tried the olive oil buns from Panorama Baking at the 14th and U Farmers Market last Saturday, they were truly spectacular: shiny on top, soft but sturdy, rich (almost brioche-like). Just the right size, shape and texture to hold a perfect hamburger. I knew I'd recommend them to AWCE readers as the best thing to cradle a well-made patty this weekend, the official kickoff to grilling season.

It wasn't until I talked to Panorama owner Loic Feillet a few days later, though, that I realized just how special they are. "Perhaps you are aware of the chef Michel Richard," Loic said in a phone interview, in his characteristically unassuming way. "He is the owner of Citronelle restaurant, and the restaurant Central."

Why, yes, I've heard of him, I said with a smile. Loic continued, but I'll cut to the chase: These are Michel's buns. Loic has been baking them for the chef for two years, selling them to Citronelle and then, of course, to Central. "He gave me the recipe and taught me how to make them, and I was very grateful, because this was a new product for me," Loic said.

I know it sounds silly to anyone who doesn't get quite as geeked out by these kinds of things as I do, but I had to catch my breath. People, do you understand what this means? You can now buy what just might be the best hamburger bun in the city, the very one that cradles one of the best burgers in the city, and you can get it for -- are you ready? -- a buck. Three for $3, to be exact. I realize that's a lot more than you'd pay for a bag o' buns from the supermarket, but these are the types of things that can truly make the difference between a pretty good burger and a sublime one. You could bake your own, or you could buy these. I know which way I'm going.

If you didn't already have reason enough to get to the 14th and U market on Saturday or the Bloomingdale market on Sunday -- the only two places that Panorama, primarily a wholesale operation, sells retail -- well, now you do.

But there's more. Loic also sells Parmesan buns that are pretty special. They're bigger than the olive oil buns and a little sturdier, like a good Pullman bread with chewy bits of grated Parmesan on top. They're more expensive, $1.50 apiece, and the cheese made me immediately imagine them as perfect for holding a veggie sandwich, such as a simple tomato and fresh mozzarella one, or perhaps the Chickpea Sandwich I wrote about recently.

Best of all, as difficult as it was for me to resist, after I ate two of these buns last weekend -- an olive oil one as soon as I got home, in the name of research, and a Parmesan one a few hours later with tomato soup -- I popped two others in the freezer, well wrapped in plastic and then foil. A week later, they thawed beautifully.

-- Joe Yonan

How early does the good stuff sell out? Trying to decide if it is worth the schlep in. It sounds like it is!

It depends. Loic did not send enough olive oil buns and they sold out by 10:30, a lot of Stefano's pastas by 11:30 today BUT we will have more of both at Bloomingdale Farmers' Market tomorrow Sunday from 10-2 at First and R Streets NW. I saw baby new potatoes until noon. The baby squash were gone by 11:30 but we had strawberries all day.

This week at 14&U

New This Week:

*Shelled English Peas -- come early!

*Squash Blossoms at Garner

*Baby Summer squash and their larger siblings (zucchini, sunburst, , 8 ball, yellow),

*Beets and their delicious greens

*Broccoli.

*Spring Onions

*New Dolcezza flavors this week: Black Mint Gelato and Cucumber Mint and Vodka Sorbetto

*braised beef ravioli at Stefano Frigerio's Copper Pot

*Buttercrunch, red fire, brigette, and romaine lettuces.

* Broccoli

*Second week for new potatoes...

This week we will have a lot of Strawberries and sweet young vegetables at Kuhn, Garner, McLeaf, Mountain View, Truck Patch:

MORE Asparagus! Salad greens, head lettuce of many colors and shapes, collard greens,, radishes, sweet Hakurei turnips (eat 'em raw, stew them briefly in butter), Mustard bunches, Bok Choi, Asian Stir Fry Mix, strawberries, rhubarb, , spinach, Stir Fry Greens Mix,Swiss Chard, ruby streaked mustard, green and red kale, red and green mustards, mizuna, red and white spring onions, chives, garlic and regular, mint, oregano, sage, baby collards, new potatoes, summer squash, squash blossoms, Broccoli, Turnips, asparagus....

Beautiful Flowers from Faucher Meadows: Sweet William, peonies, Asiatic and Foxtail lilies, Campanulas Cup and Saucer, Delphiniums, snapdragons. Elaine's meadow- grown bouquets are a very long lived hostess gift or treat for yourself.

Pasta by Copper Pot: Stefano is still coming up with new pastas for us. Last week my husband and I had his Virginia ham and parmesan ravioli. Wow. Ham courtesy of a local Virginia ham producer Forgot the name, but the combo of the full flavored ham and parmesan was superb. . We had the gnocchi with smokey bacon and tomato tonight. We savor the fig and balsamic jam with Keswick quark.

Keswick Creamery: I have been tasting Keswick cheeses for years and I am really impressed with the depth of taste they now have. Try the cheddars to see what I mean. Rich milk from all Jersey cows that live outside all year round. Great Yogurt, ricotta and feta cheeses, too. German Style Quark.

For Pastured Pork lovers: Truck Patch has fresh pork chops and boneless loin steaks , fresh shoulder roast, spare ribs, baby backs, Italian, country, sage, celery, bratwurst, salt and al his sausages-- plus his pastured beef. His bacon is much admired.

MORE Beef: Pecan Meadow has grass -fed -and- finished t-bone, porterhouse, sirloin, New York strip, fillet, flank steaks to grill. Lots of roasts as well. Have you tried their unusual Italian breed of chickens? Unlike the typical American bird, they are small breasted with long long legs and lots of chicken flavor) Stefano (our pasta maven) told me he grilled half a Pecan Meadow chicken "under the brick" on his barbecue and loved the flavor.

EGGS: Chicken, Duck and Goose eggs at Pecan Meadow.

Chicken lovers: You can order chickens and mallard ducks from Daniel at bluemountainbeef@juno.com. His chickens are an Italian breed that pleased Stefano Fregerio last week. He grilled a half chicken under the brick, he told me.

Traditional Baked Goods - pecan pie, shoe fly pie, oatmeal pie, rhubarb pie, strawberry bread, chocolate chip cookies baked by Lois Shirk at Pecan Meadow..

Panorama: Loic is in France, perfecting his traditional Parisian baguettes recipe, but we will have many many more of the Olive Oil hamburger buns he bakes for Michel Richard's hamburgers at Central. They ran out last week after that spectacular review in the Post blog, All We Can Eat, but you should be able to try them this week. Plus the breakfast breads, sticky rolls, pumpernickel, raisin pumpernickel, sliced ryes, sourdoughs, multi grains and the famous Rustiques that are baked exclusively for Citronelle, Central, CityZen and us!

Triple Treat PLUS Strawberry Dessert: Puree some strawberries with cream, saturate a slice of the strawberry bread with the puree and top with sliced market strawberries. Serve with Dolcezza Strawberry gelato. Delicious. I invented this last year when I discovered that I had a few slices of slightly stale strawberry bread left over

At the Orchards: Besides the strawberries, Kuhn and McLeaf will still have apples: fuji, pink lady, and golden delicious. Kuhn's canned peaches are great grilled with Truck Patch's pork chops....apple sauce, apple butter, apple cider...rhubarb...

See you on Saturday, RAIN OR SHINE.

Saturdays

9-1

14th and U Streets next to the Reeves Center

Sat June 6 at 14&U 9-1

*Sugar Snap Peas at Mountain View -- come early because they will go fast

*Carrots at Mountain View

*Chioggia, Cylindrical yellow beets at Mountain View

*Cucumbers at Garner

*Okra at Garner (incredibly early)

*Baby Summer Squashes at Mountain View and Garner

*Shelled Peas at Garner

*Spinach

*Squash flowers at Garner

*7 different kinds of apples from storage including Goldrush at Kuhn and McCleaf

Lots of Strawberries

Lots of Asparagus

Lots of Spring Onions -- the greens make terrific pesto.

MORE of the now famous Olive Oil buns that are baked for Central's burgers

Cherry Glen is back with Chevre, Monocracy and 4 other goat cheeses -- find them on U Street between Truck Patch and Kuhn

Mountain View: Shawna and Atilla and their baby/ charmer, Ruby, farm as organically as you could ask for on an environmental preserve in Loudoun County. Salad Greens, head lettuce, bok choi, young, tender collards, beets and their greens, Hakurei turnips so sweet you can eat them raw in salads, mustard greens, fresh herbs: basil, chives, sage, thyme, oregano, cilantro.

Tip: Beets and their greens are delicious. Roast the beets until they are tender. Saute the greens like spinach in some olive oil and then make a beet and beet green salad! We have a recipe at the market.

Dolcezza Gelato and Sorbetto: Half the fat and twice the flavor of premium ice creams and sorbets have no fat at all. (A sinless Indulgence for Pride Week? ) This week's flavors include Valrhona Chocolate Amargo, Pistachio di Bronte, Black Mint, Lemon Ricotta Cardamom, Espresso Toscano. Sorbets: Strawberry Tarragon, Lime Cilantro, Cucumber Mint Vodka, Lemon Basil, Pineapple Mint..

Serve the Cucumber Mint Vodka instead of a cold cucumber soup to start a meal.  Pair the lime cilantro with fish, the lemon basil with lamb, perhaps....

Garner: Bernard's Northern Neck fields have that warmer microclimate and are already starting to produce the summer crops. Okra, summer squash including 8 ball, gold bar, yellow zucchini, white patty pan, sunburst. Cucumbers this week as well. Red Pontiac and White Superior NEW potatoes that steam in a few minutes and make great potato salads, Red Ace and Chioggia beets, lettuces, red and white spring onions, radishes of several colors, Swiss Chard, arugula, turnip greens, spinach, squash flowers, shelled peas,

Elaine's LONG-LIVED flowers this week: Delphinums, Campanulas (Canterbury Bells), Sweet Williams, yarrow, Snapdragon, Peonies. Elaine makes beautiful and unusual bouquets....perfect for your table for a Pride dinner party....or for a dinner guest gift.

Pecan Meadow: Whoopie Pies are back-- in chocolate with a peanut butter icing. Try Lois's latest creation. Pecan pie, shoe fly pie, oatmeal pie, strawberry bread. (Where's Lois? Lois is expecting a new baby very soon but she will be back at market again later this summer.) Lots of great grass fed and finished, pastured half Piedmontese steaks: t-bones, porterhouse, sirloin, fillet, Roasts galore: sirloin tip, eye round, London Broil, arm, chuck, rump, round. Sausage, Ground beef, sandwich steaks, stewing cubes and liver. I like mixing ground lamb, ground beef and ground pork for the perfect burger.....

Lamb is back!

Want Chicken? Daniel's chickens are an Italian breed and they are small breasted and long legged. Very tasty. Stefano of Copper Pot grilled a half chicken a few weeks ago "under the brick" and thought he was back in Italy!

EGGS: chicken, duck and goose. Duck eggs make VERY creamy omelettes and scrambled eggs.

Truck Patch Farms: MORE Asparagus, of course. Strawberries - both Chandlers and my personal faves -- the deep red, sweet Earliglows. Many seed catalogues call it the best-flavored of all the strawbs for eating out of hand and preserving. Decide for yourself. Arugula, Spring Mix, Lettuces, Red Chard, curly kale,, chives, garlic chives, tarragon, mint. Black Angus grass -fed beef, pastured pork of all cuts and sizes and sausages.

Keswick: I asked Melanie: Where's the Blue Suede Moo blue cheese? Here is an interesting response from Melanie about how cheeses change with the season. "When the cows went out on spring pasture the milk changed slightly. The resulting cheese "Scratch Cheese" is good but too high in moisture for the blue to take hold. We are selling it as well, since it is delicious- just not like the blue. (We will have more blue later in the season) . We will have some of that at U St for your customers to try. You could feature our fetas- we have lots of them. Just what your salad wants! Feta."

"Fetas: We have plain, herbes de provence, italian herb, tomato and basil and chives and dill or Marinated Feta. The chef from Vidalia was doing a cooking demo at Dupont yesterday at Toigo's stand and he made a very nice salad with arugula, strawberries and our plain Bovre." Plus lots of yogurt, ricotta, quark, cheddars, and all their interesting aged raw milk cheeses.

Cherry Glen Goat Cheese: From just 28 miles away, award- winning chevre and aged goat cheeses. Great with salads, with Stefano's jams.

Panorama: Loic is in still in France, , but Emmanuel and Abby will have even MORE of the Olive Oil hamburger buns he bakes for Michel Richard's hamburgers at Central. They have been very popular the last 2 weeks after the Post called them SPECTACULAR , but you should be able to try them this week. Plus the breakfast breads, sticky rolls, raisin pumpernickel, sliced ryes, sourdoughs, multi grains and the famous Rustiques that are baked exclusively for Citronelle, Central, CityZen and us! Have you tried the French style Pumpernickel bread they created for me? It is made for cheese, smoked salmon or smoked turkey sandwiches. Good, toasted, with Keswick's quark, for instance.

Their Challah makes excellent bread pudding -- and French Toast. (Think brunch!)

Orchards:

McCleaf: cameo, rome, golden delicious and granny smith apples; kale, spring onions, pac man broccoli, roma lettuce, strawberries, limited asparagus.

Kuhn: MORE strawberries, fujis, goldrush, pink lady apples, rhubarb, asparagus, ciders, their own canned peaches.

Copper Pot Pastas, Sauces and Jams: Stefano is going to bring MORE of his gnocchi and MORE of his spinach ricotta and beet-goat cheese ravioli this week. The beets are from Garner, the ricotta is from Keswick -- what could be more local? Plus all the other pastas, ravioli including braised rabbit ravioli, sauces and jams.

Panorama's olive oil buns and Parmesan hamburger buns got a terrifc shout out today in All We Can Eat today:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/all-we-ca...urger.html#more

They should have gotten a shout out for their multi-grain bread, too. Omg. It is amazingly delicious. I have been eating toast for breakfast, lunch and dinner since Sunday. I need to step away from the multigrain. Wow.

This week at 14&U

New this week:

Service berries (a Native American berry)

FAVAS at Mountain View!

Summer Squash at Mountain View

Garlic Scapes

Lois' Zucchini Bread at Pecan Meadow

Cherries at Kuhn and McCleaf

First of the Eggplants and peppers

First of the Cherry Tomatoes

Duck Ravioli, spelt agnoletti

Cherry Glen Goat Cheese back this week

Keswick: the Washington Post discovered Keswick's DRAGON'S BREATH last week and it sold out in an hour. They will have more this week for the Father's Day Burgers. Their write up:

"Dragon's Breath From Keswick Creamery in Pennsylvania comes this extra-spicy pepper jack-style cheese studded with jalapeno, habanero and Thai (bird) chili peppers. Dragon's Breath melts beautifully and is right at home atop a grilled beef burger. It is also the perfect fix for a bland turkey burger. Try shredding it onto a vegetarian pizza topped with roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsa...ST2009060901873

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9060900610.html

But that is not the end of this week's cheese story. The WALLABY is really nice now because the bouquet of the spring pasture that the cows have been munching all day adds a nice flavor to the creamy Wallaby. 4 types of feta- plain, chives and dill, Italian herb and tomato and Basil. Plus CHEDDAR, RICOTTA AND BOVRE(the last two are great for stuffing squash blossoms.)

Also yogurt,quark, pudding, bovre and ricotta (these two are great for stuffing your squash blossoms).

Faucher Meadows: Elaine has beautiful, long lasting Asiatic and Oriental lilies, hydrangeas, snapdragons, delphiniums, butterfly weeds

Mountain View: FAVAS - Sugar Snaps, collards, Swiss Chard, beets, garlic scapes, sweet Harkurei turnips (excellent sliced raw into salads). Mountain View is organic in all but the paperwork.

Stefano's Copper Pot: NEW:Duck ravioli, beef ravioli, spelt agnolotti plus gnocchi, ham and parmesan, goat cheese and beet, spinach and ricotta,braised rabbit, lamb tortellini, dried pastas, sauces, and all those great jams that go so well with grilled meats!

Pecan Meadow: Pecan, Oatmeal, rhubarb pies. Whoopie Pies. Zucchini Bread. Chicken, duck and goose eggs. Lots of grass- fed and finished half Piedmontese beef steaks(filet, NY Strip, Porterhouse, sirloin, flank, T-bone, round cubed steak, skirt). Roasts: - brisket, London Broil, sirloin tip, rump, eye round, chuck, arm and burgers. Short Ribs, back ribs. Stewing cubes, liver, heart, tongue, kidneys, sausage, ground

beef, patties, soup bones, marrow bones, shin bones

Pre-order your whole Muscovy ducks and VERY tasty Italian-type chickens at:

bluemountainbeef@juno.com

Truck Patch: On the veggie side, this week is the last call for ASPARAGUS. Mesclun, arugula, curly kale, young collards, radishes, baby turnips and greens, white and red onions. On the meat side: pastured pork in all it glory: chops, steaks, shoulders Sausages to grill (Bratwurst, sage, country, apple). Beef: Steaks and ground beef for Father's Day. Bryan prefers Delmonicos and Rib Eyes to Porterhouse.

GARNER: Summer has arrived! Bernard has SQUASH BLOSSOMS, the first of the EGGPLANT, PEPPERS, CHERRY TOMATOES, summer squash, beans (green, yellow, roma), Okra, spinach, potatoes, sugar snaps, basil, parsley, chives,lettuce, turnips, green tomatoes, cukes.

Stefano's Copper Pot: NEW:Duck ravioli, beef ravioli, spelt agnolotti plus gnocchi, ham and parmesan, goat cheese and beet, spinach and ricotta,braised rabbit, lamb tortellini, dried pastas, sauces, and all those great jams that go so well with grilled meats!

Panorama: lots of olive oil and hamburger buns! (Why let Central get all the good hamburger buns!) Croissants, sticky buns,rye, pumpernickel, multi-grain, rustique etc.

McCleaf: cameo, rome, granny smith and golden deliciousl apples. Apple butter, canned peaches, chinese cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower- regular, graffiti and chedder, spring onions with the green on, and as for strawberries... a few... probably the last for them.... Sweet tender Kale - red and green

KUHN: Red raspberries,leeks, beets,mint ,dill, cider,canned peaches-buy 2 get one free-,rhubarb, serviceberries( come early) and if it stops raining-- some sweet cherries. Fuji and Goldrush apples.

Last but not least: Dolcezza: Try their new Sour Cherry Sorbetti. Plus lots of other seasonal faves.

New favorite! I bought flat/Italian beans at the West End (Alexandria) market yesterday. They are from a farm in Westmoreland County. I threw them in a pot with Stefano's Copper Pot tomato sauce with smokey bacon and Parmesan, and let them mingle and cook a bit. Mr. MV was swooning over it (me too!) and said that the Italian beans were just like dinner at his Italian grandmother's years ago. I'm out now, so a trip to the market is in order next Sat.

New favorite! I bought flat/Italian beans at the West End (Alexandria) market yesterday. They are from a farm in Westmoreland County. I threw them in a pot with Stefano's Copper Pot tomato sauce with smokey bacon and Parmesan, and let them mingle and cook a bit. Mr. MV was swooning over it (me too!) and said that the Italian beans were just like dinner at his Italian grandmother's years ago. I'm out now, so a trip to the market is in order next Sat.

We also have those wonderful flat Romano beans at Garner at both 14&U and Bloomingdale (Sundays.) Those beans are great cooked long and slow in sauteed onions and tomatoes....or Stefano's tomato sauce with smokey bacon!

I did get Italian flat beans at the market-excellent with a smokey bacon tomato sauce. I made the sauce because Stefano is out of jarred tomato sauces until he makes more when tomatoes are in full swing. He mentioned something about rain, possibly flooding, about 100 broken jars of sauce.... :D

The duck ravioli were outstanding. I prepared them like potstickers and made a dipping sauce to go along.

YES, We are definitely open on Saturday with all the producers including Cherry Glen Goat Cheese.

Highlights (but not limited to this list):

grass fed beef at Truck Patch and Pecan Meadow

pastured pork at TP

Ducks

Chicken, duck and goose eggs

Traditional Penn pies and baked goods at PM

Lots of corn (bicolor and perhaps some yellow)

lots of tomatoes --sunchief and grape romas, early girls, some early heirlooms

lots of summer squash -- EIGHT varieties

leeks

fennel

red, white and blue new potatoes

apricots

plums

raspberries of many colors

blueberries

gooseberries

cherries-- tart pie and sweet

cabbages

chard

bok choy

cukes -- picklers, Divas, Boothby Blonde, Lemon

green beans

purple beans

Flat Italian roma beans

cauliflower

red and green kale

cantaloup

salads

arugula

red and white spring onion

keswick's highly touted (Best of Washintonian 2009) chocolate pudding, cheeses, yogurts

Stefano Frigerio's Copper Pot's much admired jams and pastas (ALSO Washingtonian best of 2009)

Panorama's olive oil rolls and parmesan buns

DOLCEZZA'S NEW FLAVORS OF GELATO AND SORBET-- blackberry and cream, black raspberry, sour cherry. My current fave is cucumber mint vodka which I use instead of cucumber soup....

ARTICHOKES AT BLOOMINGDALE ON SUNDAY AT SNOWBEAR....

KESWICK WINS TWO BRONZE MEDALS AT NORTH AMERICAN CHEESE AWARDS!

Congrats, Melanie!!!

We are thrilled that Melanie's Vermeer and her Quark won. She has been asked to send samples for the WORLD awards next year. Stop by the stand this Saturday and taste the winner-- free samples.

NEW This WEEK:

Tomatoes: mortgage lifter, cobra, Juliet

Heirloom Tomatoes: Early red Moscovitch and others

Cherry Tomatoes: Sungold, Grape, Navidad, Chocolate Cherry

Cantaloups: Athena

Sugar Baby Watermelon

Candy and Mars Onions are BACK

NEW VARIETIES of PEACHES

BLACKBERRIES

shallots

dill

BASIL-- It is Pesto time or Luke and my favorite Lemon Basil Cookie......

FRESH garlic at Mountain View

Keswick's medal- winning Vermeer and Quark

Lois' Chocolate Whoopie PIes with peanut butter icing

Purple beans

NEW ravioli at Copper Pot--rabbit ravioli

NEW COOKED PASTA SALADS at Copper Pot

Trofie Pasta With TOMATOES AND CHEESE

Pasta, Lettuce, Bacon and Corn.

*Looking for Gluten- Free Pasta? Copper Pot has several!

*Free Range Eggs at Mountain View, Pecan Meadow and Truck Patch

*Want a chicken? Pre- order your chickens at market@truckpatchfarms.com or from Daniel at Pecan Meadow at bluemountainbeef@juno.com and pick them up on Saturday....

KUHN: Peaches (yellow and white), Plums, Cherries, Apricots, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Gooseberries, First new crop apples -- LODI and the AMISH fave, TRANSPARENT -- make a wonderful tart applesauce sweetened just a bit with Kuhn honey. Plus beets, Candy and Mars(red) onions, shallots, fennel, cider, honey, mint, dill,Sentries have a bright red skin and yellow flesh, semi-freestone.

Joe Yonan of the WashPost had some nice words for Kuhn and was inspired by Stefano "to jam on this summer" Try Joe's blueberry-lemon jam recipe from All We Can Eat blog:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/all-we-can-eat/recipes/every-summer-i-jam-on.html#more

We will have his recipe on the market table.....

McCleaf: Peaches (yellow and white) I adore their Kale. raspberries (black, red), blackberries, apricots, plums, Red and green kale,green and purple cabbage, okra, tomatoes (mortgage lifter, cobra, heirlooms), Candy and red onions, okra, apple butter. Golden Delish and Granny Smith apples.

Mountain View: Never any pesticides, impeccably sustainable, Shawna and Attila and little Ruby have a marvelous farm on an environmental reserve. Very flavorful varieties. NEW Tomatoes (Early red Moskovitch, Juliet and Sungold Cherry) Carrots (Grate them into salad or with cabbage into slaw, cut in a hot jalapeno pepper), Leeks, Onions, Purple Blue Caribe potatoes with tender skins! (Halve them, roll them into olive oil, salt, rosemary and garlic and bake them.) Peppers: A few green and some Hungarian green Rounds. Eggplant: Japanese varieties,, Basil, Squash, many kinds of Cucumbers, Salad Greens: Lettuce mix, Mustards, beets for that wonderful Spicy Pink Beet "Gazpacho" I have been raving about. Lots of interesting varieties of cucumbers.

Cucumbers are what I want this time of year for superb salads, with tomatoes and feta and a little basil.....o

Garner: HEAPS OF Yellow corn this week. Red and white potatoes, 7 kinds of summer squash, beans (green, yellow and wax), okra, tomatoes (early girls, sunchief, roma, cherry), peppers (hot, purple, green, King Arthur and yellow, eggplants (finger, ghostbuster, big purple, japanese).

Truck Patch: TP supplies Woodberry Kitchen restaurant in Baltimore with pork , including their suckling pigs? Tots of pastured pork as well this week. All cuts and sausages. Grass fed and finished on choice Black Angus steaks-- try their strip steak!!! And all the other beef as well.

SALAD CENTRAL at Truck Patch: Want a salad with your lunch or dinner? Here is where to get pesticide- free Mesclun and arugula all summer long. Also chard. cantalopes -- Athenas planted close so that they stay sweet and intense flavor. The dry weather the last week makes them even sweeter. First of his beefsteaks tomatoes Green beans -- Blue Lake Pole beans. Steam them with butter, salt and pepper ( Or olive oil and their tarragon).

Pecan Meadow: Chicken, duck and goose eggs -- all very free ranging. Grass- fed and grass finished, half Piedmontese beef makes for very flavorful steaks: porterhouse, filet, NY Strip, t-bone, sanwich steak, round cubed steak. Roasts, ribs (short and back ribs. Lamb cuts. Whole moscovy ducks.

Lois' Traditional Penn Bakery: oatmeal whoopie pies, chocolate whoopie pies with peanut butter icing, pecan, oatmeal and shoefly pies, strawberry bread, zucchini bread....

Want a chicken? Pre- order your chickens at market@truckpatchfarms.com and pick them up at market. Or bluemountainbeef@juno.com

Faucher's Meadows: Scabiosa, Lilies, Sunflowers, Zinnias from Elaine's two acres of meadows. They last and last and make wonderful gifts for hosts. The lilies I bought from her last week are still perfuming my living room.

free range eggs from Mountain View and Truck Patch, Breadline's muffins made , baguettes, whole grain breads, croissants, NanBon's NEW zucchini breads and Raspberry Frangipane tarts...

Panorama Artisanal Bakery: Lots of olive oil rolls, parmesan hamburger buns, ciabatta rolls for grilled sausages, pumpernickel bread (great with toasted tomato and cheese sandwiches), rye breads, whole wheat, sour dough, country French, baguettes, croissants and muffins, sticky buns...

Dolcezza: try that Chocolate Amargo Gelato the Washingtonian called BEST CHOCOLATE COOL TREAT and all the berry and cherry flavors sourced from local producers...

Copper Pot: New this week: rabbit ravioli and Cooked pasta salads that you can take right home and eat for lunch or dinner. I sampled the trofie last week. Excellent. Trofie with local tomatoes and cheese. Pasta, bacon and corn are the two for this week. I saw Stefano buy two crates of Apricots last week so I suspect that apricot jam may be in our future.... Lots of the stuffed pastas, too.

STEFANO MAKES SOME GLUTEN FREE PASTA....

Robin and Carrie and Maude (Luke is on vacation this Saturday).

Mountain View is becoming one of my favorite farms around. Grilled up their zukes and leeks a few weeks ago and they were great. Today I picked up beautiful garlic (complete with stalk-I wonder how I can use it?) and Juliet tomatoes. They also now have eggs-but I haven't given them a try yet.

Under the heading of great marketing ideas, the stand on U that's farthest from the corner was selling berry shooters for a buck. A small paper cup full of red, black, and blue berries to enjoy while you walk around.

It was nice to see the market so crowded this morning.

Mountain View is becoming one of my favorite farms around. Grilled up their zukes and leeks a few weeks ago and they were great. Today I picked up beautiful garlic (complete with stalk-I wonder how I can use it?) and Juliet tomatoes. They also now have eggs-but I haven't given them a try yet.

Under the heading of great marketing ideas, the stand on U that's farthest from the corner was selling berry shooters for a buck. A small paper cup full of red, black, and blue berries to enjoy while you walk around.

It was nice to see the market so crowded this morning.

Kuhn's Orchard has the berry shooters. Yes, today was a record day in terms of customer counts at the market. (Not TOO crowded, although Garner did run out of everything by market close for the first time) Mountain View is an uncertified but organic farm. They have excellent growing practices, choose very good varieties and are delightful people.

August 1 at 14&U

Saturday is both the U Street 10th Annual Dog Day Sales up and down 14th and U Streets. The epicenter will be the market because we are also hosting the U Street Neighborhood Associations CELEBRATION. One prize will be a raffle drawing of a basket of food from the market.

Our producers will also have Dog Day Sales at their stands. NOT ALL THE SALES ARE LISTED BELOW.

The Biggest Event is that Panorama is introducing brand new Muffins and Scones created by Mark Furstenberg for Panorama. Anyone who has missed Mark's corn muffins will be happy again because he has created corn muffins, blueberry muffins, whole grain, classic scones and raisin scones. ( Choc Chip Muffins will debut next week.)

Mark wrote this about the muffins he has created (as a consultant to Panorama in between working on the opening of his new Cafe)

"Loic will be offering a new seasonal muffin, blueberry right now, made with whole blueberries in a faintly sweetened buttermilk batter. Panorama will be selling as well a crunchy corn muffin with whole corn kernels, a whole grain muffin, coarse and sweetened with dried fruits and crunch with nuts. All of them are made with White Lily flour, some contain whole wheat flour as well and all of them are deliberately low in sugar but full of taste.

We are trying to make pastries whose flavors are not overpowered by sugar. We are using whole grains where they make sense. That is not to say, however, that they are being offered as health food. They are being made simply to taste good.

Customers will find as well a new scone. And what a scone! Butter, buttermilk, White Lily flour. And from time to time we'll slip in a little surprise -- perhaps some dried fruits, perhaps a little candied ginger -- we'll see."

In addition the MUFFINS AND SCONES WILL BE INTRODUCED ON A DOG DAY SALE.

DOLCEZZA ON SATURDAY

SORBETTI from local fruits and vegetables:

Athena Cantaloupe Tarragon

Cucumber Mint Vodka

Lemon Opal Basil

Lime Cilantro

White Peach

Yellow Peach Southern Comfort

GELATI made exclusively with local milk and cream

Bananas Foster

Black Mint from local mint

Espresso Black Cat

Lemon Ricotta Cardamom with Keswick Ricotta

Nocciola del Piemonte

Valrhona Chocolate Amargo

Take one with you as you peruse the market and the U Street Sales. And since it is only half the fat and calories of regular ice cream, you won't risk your waistline.

Mountain View: 25 varieties of sustainably grown heirloom tomatoes. Beans. Metki White and Persian Cucumbers to chop with tomatoes and feta for that perfect Greek Salad....(Yes, you have to buy some olives..) Snap up those cukes for your gazpacho.

Beets to make that wonderful spiced Beet Gazpacho from David TAnis Book (he calls it Spiced Borscht but so many people have an uncharitable view of borscht that I renamed it) that i will serve tomorrow at a dinner..: Italian Chioggia, Yellow Cylindrical and Red Ace. Lovely little French shallots. (I use them every night here to make my salad dressing. Chop them, salt them, crush them with a fork, macerate them in sherry vinegar or lime juice. Then add olive oil. Blend.) Lots of onions: Copra, yellow Spanish, Red. Swiss Chard. Steam, boil, saute or grill their French Fingerlings. Boil, bake or mash the yellow fleshed German Carola spuds. Leeks are the foundation of all my neighbors' cooking here in Provence. They chop leeks for every recipe but they stuff onions for baking. Funny. And peppers: tons of greens to grill or saute with sausages, a few Jimmy Nardellos and lots of different hot peppers including Chinese Five Color and Volcano.

Keswick: Grill or bake some eggplant slices and top them with Keswick yogurt seasoned with garlic and herbs. Grill or toast a Panorama baguette lightly, rub it with a garlic clove, smash a half tomato on it until the bread is SATURATED and top with Keswick Cheddar or their award winning Vermeer. The BEST Tomato Cheese Sandwich, according to my oh-so-British husband. (Well, he is really South African but they have all those British tastes!) Chocolate Pudding, ricotta, quark, feta and 12 aged raw milk cheeses. Blue cheese goes very well on fennel salads.  DOG DAY SALE on the Washingtonian's favorite CHOCOLATE PUDDING!

McCleaf: Corn. Corey dug new red and white potatoes last week, so take advantage of their freshness to make steamed potatoes with herbs, potato salad, or steamed potatoes with their steamed green beans in a lemon vinaigrette topped with chopped mint. Yellow peaches, white Sugar Giant nectarines, plums, raspberries, green and red kale, swiss chard, , yellow and green squash, heirloom tomatoes, onions , green beans, green and purple cabbage, okra, red and green peppers, sweet corn - white, a new variety of cucumbers, and apple butter, egg plant

Kuhn: Red Haven peaches & nectarines, white & yellow, plums, apricots, rambo apples and summer macs ,blackberries, blueberries ,red raspberries, cider, honey, tomatillos to make your own SALSA VERDE, onions, shallots, basil,cherry tomatoes ,slicing and heirloom tomatoes, fennel, cippolini onions, Salsa verde is wonderful with grilled Truck Patch or Pecan Meadow meats....or eggplant.

Garner Crenshaw melons, striped German Tomatoes, WATERMELON, sweet corn, tomatoes, cantaloups, peppers of many colors, cherry tomatoes, new potatoes, sweet onions, back berries, five kinds of eggplant, Anne Oakley okra, cabbages. yellow and green squash and zucchini .

Truck Patch: Like last week but with many more heirloom tomatoes.  Mesclun, chard, spring mix, curly kale, cucumbers, green beans, red and white spring onions squash, Athena cantaloupe  Basil, lots of summer squash, , sausages. Make your own pork burgers from ground pork. it is a nice change from beef burgers.  But if you have a taste for grass -fed beef....Truck Patch raises Black Angus.. Lots of great pork- boneless chops Ask for his eggs, too. Chives. Basil and other herbs. Heirloom, cherry, and beefsteak tomatoes, peppers (sweet and hot) . Pre-order a chicken at order@truckpatchfarms.com

TIP: Grate a just slightly under ripe peeled melon (I put it through the julienne disk of my food processor), add 1/2 tsp of finely chopped, then salted and mashed- with -a -fork- ginger and 1/2 cup of yogurt. I don't have Keswick yogurt here so I used a local sheep milk yogurt. ( It's excellent) Mix. Serve in a shallow bowl topped with a small leaf basil leaf or mint. This was great. We have the recipe that inspired me from the LA Times on the market table. Their version is curried and sprinkled with lime.  This was a big hit at a dinner party I gave the other night in our little village in Provence where the melons are ambrosial.

Pecan Meadow:  DOG DAY SALE on Sirloin Steaks and Roasts!  Plus lots of fillets, NY Strip Steak, sandwich, round cubed steak, brisket, London Broil, rump, sirloin tip, chuck and arm roasts. Marrow bones, soup bones, shin bones, whole muscovy drakes, chicken eggs. Superb Italian Chickens. Salt it 24 hours in advance and then broil or grill it. . Much more leg than white meat. You can pre order them from Daniel and Lois at bluemountainbeef@juno.com

Copper Pot: NEW THIS WEEK: Veal osso bucco tortellini Copper Pot's filled or dried pastas are the perfect summer lunch or dinner. ( I stashed several in the freezer for the night I return from France) A quick simmer, dressed with

Faucher Meadows:   Elaine's Dog Day Sale: Mixed Zinnia Bouquet. Her meadow- grown flowers this week include Lisianthus in four colors, sunflowers, gladioli, lilies.

Enter the U Street Neighborhood Association raffle for a market basket filled with our producers' best!

NEW:

• Lois' PUMPKIN WHOOPIE PIES ARE BACK
  • Many new Apples including Honeycrisp and Gala
  • New varieties of seedless grapes
  • Celeriac at Mountain View
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Acorn, Butternut, Kabocha, Carneval Squash
  • SALE on Tomatoes
  • SALE on Filet Mignon Steaks at Truck Patch
  • Hot Italian and Sweet Italian Sausage at Pecan Meadow
  • Lots of Grass Ranging Eggs to make egg salad or fritattas for your picnics.
  • Asian BITTER GOURD at Kuhn
  • LOUFA Sponges -- really! Grown by Garner

I always thought Loufas were sea sponges, but they are actually cucumber related seed pods: http://www.luffa.info/index.htm

Want a free range chicken with flavor?

Pre Order from Pecan Meadow at bluemountainbeef@juno.com or Truck Patch at order@truckpatchfarms.com

Pecan Meadow Pastured Meats and Baked Goods: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies are finally back this week along with pecan pies and pumpkin breads. Th. If you like beefy, grass- fed steaks, try their sirloins, t bones, NY strip and sirloins for your grill this weekend. I roasted one of their Italian breed of chickens last night . Excellent and even better cold today for lunch. Lots of lamb, ducks and chicken eggs. All humanely raised outside on pasture.  NEW: Hot Italian and Sweet Italian Sausages.

Mountain View: These cooler nights are great for their salad greens! Lovely beets to Swiss Chard, Tomatoes, Eggplant, peppers, Basil Acorn Squash. Onion. Garlic. Herbs. Atilla really indulges his Hungarian genes when he grows peppers -- every variety of hot and sweet!

Keswick Creamery: Aged, award- winning raw milk cheeses, blue cheese, feta, ricotta, German

quark and yogurt, chocolate pudding. Mix some garlic and/or herbs into the yogurt and serve on grilled meats or vegetables...

Panorama: Olive Oil Buns for your burgers-- the very same ones that Central serves on their 25 dollar hamburger. Parmesan Hamburger Buns. Rustique. Pumpernickel. Whole Wheat. Rye. Croissants and lots of other breads.

Faucher Meadows: DC's most beautiful flowers grown just 45 minutes away in Elaine's 3 acres flower meadows in Great Falls. Sunflowers and lisianthus and perhaps a few more of those tall, chic Mexican tuberoses.

Copper Pot: The heat has broken and it is time for Stefano's filled pastas again. Just remember to keep them frozen until you simmer them. Don't boil them aggressively. These are delicate creatures. Ravioli, Tortellini, fettucini, maccheroni, freshly canned local tomato sauces and his wonderful jams. I gave them as gifts to my French friends who were wowed by the unusual combination. Blackberries with ginger, red beets and rhubarb, white figs and balsamic, peaches and prosecco. They had NEVER had jams like Stefano's and they all begged me to bring more next year. So I will!

Dolcezza Artisanal Gelato and Sorbet: Rob adds new flavors every single week and you can sample each one of them! Gelato has only half the fat and calories of regular ice cream! And twice the flavor.

Kuhn: Cresthaven peaches & nectarines, yellow and white, flat peaches, three plum varieties, blackberries, raspberries tomatoes, cherry tomatoes. tomatillos onions, shallots, fennel, edamame, honey ,cider, basil, Ginger Gold apples,cucumbers and some mixed flower bouquets. And Asian BITTER MELON (bitter gourd), a favorite Indian and Chinese and Vietnamese vegetable, a sort of prehistoric cucumber with attitude.

McLeaf: white and yellow peaches, honey crisp, gala and ginger gold apples, kale, swiss chard, cukes, cherry tomatoes, Fall Squash, onions, melon

Garner: corn, tomatoes, green, purple, Roma and yellow wax beans, baby limas and black eye peas, summer squash , basil , potatoes for potato salads, green, purple, yellow, red bell and frying peppers, hot peppers, cucumbers, shallots,okra, eggplants, melons, onions,  NEW: Sweet potatoes and loufa sponges.

Corn Tip: Cut off kernels from cooked corn, plated them as though they were rice or pasta... and top them with a roasted tomato and a dollop of pesto and a few shavings of parmesan cheese. Easy, pretty and very good

TIP: Grilled Peaches and Nectarines are great. Cut them in half, grill them cut side down. Top them with ice cream or yogurt. They are very sweet grilled.

Truck Patch:.  Heirloom Tomato Sale: Buy several pounds and get a discount. Buy many pounds and get a bigger discount. Slow roast them in the oven and freeze them for the winter, make sauces, can them, make gazpacho, sun dry them. Summer Squash. Squash Flowers. Radishes. Green, yellow and purple beans (Three bean salad) Lots of fresh, young pesticide free greens from their raised beds: lettuce, mesclun, arugula, stir fry, Water Melons, last of the Cantaloups, peppers, jalapenos, cherry bombs, basil, chives, rosemary, lemon verbena, 3 kinds of sage.

Canning Tip for Heirloom Tomatoes: Bryan says that Heirloom tomatoes need a bit more acidity so he always adds a tsp of lemon juice to his heirlooms when he cans them.

For Labor Day picnics: pork spare ribs and shoulders and sausages, pork steaks, chops, loins. Truck Patch Pastured Meats are a favorite of local and Baltimore chefs. SALE on Filet Mignon grass fed beef. Want Beef? Brian recommends Sirloins for your Labor Day Barbecues. I agree. Excellent flavor. . All pastured meats, from animals who live and graze outdoors. Very humanely raised. The beef is grass fed and finished on choice which means that he offers the cattle of choice of grass or grain but they prefer to eat the grass, so they do!

The 14&U market runs until November 21st, so 4 more weeks to go. It IS supposed to rain on Saturday but the producers will all be there.

New or Noteworthy:

Garner is running a big sale on green beans and sweet potatoes: 1/2 bushels of either for 12 dollars, an incredibly low price

Kuhn has very beautiful and very tasty pastel Italian winter squash

Mountain View has Japanese sweet potatoes, Thai and Japanese winter squash. Japanese sweet potato are starchier and drier than American sweets. They are almost chestnut like in flavor. Good in tempura or pan fried. I have not tasted the Thai and japanese squash yet but Atilla says they are very rich and very flavorful. The Thai squash are gorgeous. They look like an ancient Japanese tea pot.

Kuhn has a very nice variety of apples both modern and some heirlooms: Honeycrisp, ambrosia, jonathan, gala, cortland, shizuka, jonagold, liberty, stayman, fuji, gold delicious, Northern Spy. Good Cider. honey.. chestnuts. haricots verts, tomatillos.

McCleaf has sweet potatoes, UV filtered Cider to preserve the freshness of the apple taste. Kale, apples, apple butter, peppers, tomatoes, onions

Garner: Pumpkins. Red and yellow peppers as well. Plus Collards. beets, spinach, arugula, mustard greens, turnip greens, red bore kale, leaf lettuce, Swiss Chard, baby turnips, lots of winter squash ( acorn, butternut, spaghetti, carnival, pretty green kabocha, red kuri. Neck pumpkins look like an elongated butternut squash but they sure taste like pumpkins and make great pies, summer squash, green and yellow beans, potatoes, , sweet potatoes.... cherry tomatoes. SALE on green beans and sweet potatoes. Lima beans, black eyed peas.

Keswick brings their full range of aged raw milk cheeses and fresh pasteurized ones. I have really fallen for their aged Carrock and the Vermeer and Wallaby this season.

Copper Pot: Copper Pot:  NEW FALL FLAVORS. Pumpkin Pappardelle, maple and butternut squash ravioli, braised beef, slow cooked lamb, braised rabbit and braised goat tortellini. New sauces. Rosemary and apricot jam, Nectarine and Bourbon, Concord Grape and Grappa.... white fig and balsamic, peach and prosecco, strawberry and vanllla.

Pecan Meadow EGGS. Lois has pumpkin whoopie pie, pecan pies, apple pies, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin bread. All from local produce. Cornmeal from their own indian corn that Ryan grows and that they grind themselves. Indian Corn Popcorn. Yes, their beef is great. All grass- fed and all grass- finished beef from half Piedmontese cows. Steaks - Porterhouse, T-Bone, Delmonico, Sandwich Steak, Sirloin. Eye Round, Chuck and Arm make easy- to- cook slow roasts and stews for rainy days and cooler nights. Ground Beef at a small local family farm butcher who works with one or two cows at a time. Ground to Daniel's specs. Hamburger Patties, Bones, Liver, Heart, Tongue and Tail for humans and dogs! Plus their meadow lamb!

Truck Patch: EGGS.  Stir fry mix, chard, curly kale, arugula, salad mix, and lettuce. Mint, chives, garlic chives, and dill. Hot peppers, tomatoes, summer and zucchini squash. Green beans and broccoli. Black Angus grass fed beef, pastured pork products and eggs.

com

Panorama:  baguettes, Rustiques, multigrains, pumpernickels, olive oil buns, rye, whole wheat, challah, croissants, pain au chocolat, sticky buns, Danish and lots of other things as well! You want soup and bread for a rainy day or a cooler night. Or grilled cheese!

Dolcezza:   MORE THAN JUST A DESSERT for a summer's day. Rob is making Fall flavors with pumpkins and pears. Some of their sorbets are savoury....and many people use them as appetizers or serve them between courses. The Lemon Opal Basil is a perfect palate cleanser!

LAST Market of 2009 -- Free hot cider for our customers. And thanks you for coming all season!

Please add a vegetable to our basket for Martha's TAble so that they can make a more delicious soup for the 1700 people they feed every day. MT is our gleaning partner at the market and our farmers contribute every week.

A sample of some of what we will have at our last market on Saturday 9-1 at 1`4th and U Streets NW.

*HALF PRICE SALE on LARGE WINTER SQUASH at KUHN. These include her amazingly good Italian varieties. Not only are they pretty, but much more flavorful than most American squash.

*Cherry Glen fresh and aged chevre and aged goat cheeses like Monocracy and Ash

*All of Dolcezza's FAll flavors in Gelato and Sorbet

*Lois' pecan pie, sweet potato pie, whoopie pies, pumpkin rolls at Pecan Meadow--

Kuhn has a very large variety of apples, both modern and traditional AND the now famous APPLE bags that will keep them crisp in your fridge for weeks, if not months.

GARNER was threatening to sell half bushels of greens on sale -- ask Bernard and Dana

Pastured, Grub eating Turkeys at Truck Patch - he will probably have extras if you have dithered about reserving..These are not heritage but they are pastured.

Flowers from Elaine Faucher...

Keswick Yogurt to drizzle on your squash soup. I love Keswick yogurt for savory purposes. I think the acidity goes very well with food. Jersey milk, of course.

Keswick quark and ricotta for your pumpkin cheesecake...

Keswick Cheeses to serve with apples and pears ---or to make into Cheese Wafers !

Greens to braise and saute and stir fry: collards, kales, spinach, chard, mustards, turnip, mizuna.

Celery, carrots (roast them in olive oil and rosemary), baby fennel, kohlrabi.

Salads, lettuce mixes, arugula, mesclun

Brussels sprouts to bake and saute --(I hate them boiled)

Green and fractal Romanesco Broccoli

Green, Red, Purple and Cheddar Cheese Orange Cauliflower

Red, white, Napa and Savoy Cabbages-- sweet, baby bok choy to stir fry with garlic.

Old Fashioned Sweet Potatoes -- red and white --Slice, roast and sprinkle with salt, cumin and lime... or mash them with butter and a drop of soy sauce.

Potatoes to bake, boil or mash--

Beets and baby beets with their greens

Winter Squash: Butternut, Acorn, Carnival, Spaghetti, kabocha, kuri.--varieties to mash, puree, roast or make into soup. They make pretty centerpieces in mounds, too. Or nice bowls for soup.

Loose Pork (maple, sage, ground country) sausages to season your stuffing. Bacon, too.

15-20 varieties of apples to eat, saute, bake or make into apple sauce

Fresh herbs for every dish.

Turnips to braise in butter or roast or mash.

Free range Eggs at Truck Patch, Mountain View and Pecan M...

Pheasant Tortellini with butternut squash puree if you are looking for an unusual Thanksgiving appetizer.

Pick up your Reserved Turkeys from Truck Patch

Truck Patch pork and Angus Beef, Pecan Meadow's half Piedmontese beef and lamb, chickens, geese, ducks for the freezer....

Copper Pot: Peanut Butter at Copper Pot made from Virginia peanuts. Stefano will have a huge assortment of pastas, jams, sauces and other treats at Copper Pot: a pork pate ( cooked in a jar), Jams: Strawberries and vanilla, blackberries and ginger, quince and cinnamon, peach and prosecco, nectarine and bourbon, apricot and rosemary, figs and balsamic, red beets and rhubarb, Concorde grapes and grappa, and the new pear and ginger . All his classic sauces. Pastas: beef tortellini, rabbit ravioli, duck ravioli, ham tortellini, pheasant, sausage and sage, spinach and ricotta, maple roasted butternut squash, pumpkin pappardelle, the new Italian- style maccheroni and cheese, rigatoni, spelt cavatelli.

Thanks to marketfan for your wonderful updates throughout this season! We stocked up on Copper Pot sauces, a rhubarb and red beet jam, and confit of duck raivoli. Lots of produce etc. was on sale for this last day, including cabbage 2/$4. We bought savoy cabbage that I'm going to stuff and braise, and and this Napa cabbage that I'm pretty sure was birthed, not grown.

I don't know if I should eat it or burp it. Seriously, it's about 7-8 pounds.

It'll be be braised and finished with St. Marcellin cheese on Turkey Day. Last, we couldn't leave without getting Kuhn's apple cider for $5 a half gallon.

Adieu, until next year.

So, so, so excited! The time has come... this Saturday the 14th & U Market returns in all its glory.

I am waiting for a few more reports from the farmers/producers and then I will post my first market report of the season. Yes, the market IS opening this Saturday May 1st - with NETTLES at Mountain View and First of the Season Strawberries at Garner who will have some this week and tons next week. And rhubarb for those early birds who want to make a strawberry rhubarb crumble.....

Sorry for posting this so late.

Mother's Day Goodies at 14&U FM Sat May 8th

NEW or Noteworthy:

Cherry Glen is back with ALL of their very local (28 miles away) Boyds, MD cheeses.

Chez Hareg rejoins the market She bakes TASTY Vegan French style cookies, real French Butter cookies, pound cakes.

Looking for long-lasting Mother's Day flowers? Elaine Faucher will make up gorgeous bouquets of her meadow-grown beauties including: Dutch Iris, Alliums, Peonies, Sweet Williams, Hellaborus, Baptiste

LOTS of Strawberries! You don't have to be an early bird this week.

Sugar Snap Peas at Garner -- come early if you want these-- they are first- of- the- season.

Arugula Pappardelle and Asparagus Soup at Copper Pot

Remember we are open RAIN OR SHINE OR THUNDERSTORMS. It is dry under the tents!

Just a few Mother's Day Menu Ideas:

Strawberries Three W]ays. Plate a scoop of Dolcezza's Virginia Strawberry Tequila Sorbetto with Virginia Strawberry & Cream Gelato over red, juicy sliced market Strawberries. You COULD do all this over Chez Hareg pound cake or a Panorama croissant....Some people might even want to add a dollop of Dolcezza Lemon Ricotta . I would. Is this dessert or the first course? hmmm.

Fresh Market Salad -- Mixed lettuces, arugula and/or watercress with sliced apples and Cherry Glen Chevre sprinkled with fresh chives.

.Or if you prefer an Asian theme: Mountain View Pea Shoots and Garner Snow Peas parboiled and tossed with sesame oil, sherry vinegar, garlic and ginger.

Asparagus duck egg frittata....... with Truck Patch's bacon

Or make an herby omelet and serve separately: Asparagus with whipped Chevre, olive oil and sherry vinegar (I stole this delicacy from a recent meal at Birch and Barley)

Copper Pot light Gnocchi or pasta with whatever sauce Stefano tells me to make with it!

Panorama Multi-grain rolls with toasted sesame seeds

Sweets: Chez Hareg cookies, Pecan Meadow pies (pumpkin whoopie pies, oatmeal, rhubarb.

A centerpiece of Elaine's meadow-grown flowers

Truck Patch Farms STRAWBERRIES. produce, pastured pork, grass -fed Angus beef and eggs. Tons of purple and green asparagus. including the extra tender, deeply flavorful, thick stemmed stalks from older roots. Lettuce, salad mix, arugula, radishes, Bright Lights and red Swiss chard, curly kale, cut herbs: sage, chives, garlic chives, and mint.

Asparagus Tip: Did you know that the thick- stemmed stalks are more tender and more flavorful than the skinny ones? -- the fat ones are from the older rootstocks. Bryan told me this last week

Mountain View: Organic practises but not certified. Bok Choi, Tatsoi are back. Hakurei Turnips. And come early for the baby beets! Kale, mustard bunches, spicy salad greens, braising greens, arugula, watercress, collard greens, spinach, radishes, nettles for nettle soup (or ask Stefano about Nettle gnocchi), thyme, sage, oregano, chives. And lots of plants for your own garden: tomatoes, peppers, herbs, lettuces, chards, mustards

Garner: LOTS of Strawberries this week. Come early for the Sugar Snap Peas. salads: green and red and romaines, spring onions, Oriole and Ruby Red chard, beets and lots of asparagus. And a huge variety of herbs, veggie and flowers you can plant yourself in your garden or containers for your deck or kitchen windows. Plus beautiful hanging flowering baskets: geraniums, verbena, lantana, gerber daisies, marigold

Kuhn and McLeaf Orchards: Fruit: Cider, Goldrush, Fuji, Granny Smith, Pink Lady apples, apple butter and canned ripe peaches plus rhubarb at Kuhn and McCleaf. Sunchokes and jams at Kuhn. Asparagus at both.

Panorama: Loic keeps coming up with new breads and muffins and pastries for us. Lots of his classic breads as well: Breton baguette, plain pumpernickel boule, Rustique, French Country, Croissants, Danish, whole wheat, rye, sourdough breads sliced loaves, baguettes (including French, sun- dried tomato, walnut- raisin) Large olive oil rolls. His breakfast challah..... His breads FREEZE very well for later in the week.

EGGS MORE EGGS This week Truck Patch has chicken eggs and Pecan Meadow will continue to have Chicken and Duck and Goose Eggs. (Mountain View will also have lots of eggs in a few weeks...

Pecan Meadow : Italian quality, half Piedmontese, 100% grass- fed AND grass -finished beef: lots of different steaks, roasts and stew meats. Goat, Lamb. Talk to Daniel or Lois about ordering Chicken or Duck or Goose.

If you want Chicken or Muscovy ducks for delivery on Saturday, contact Daniel and Lois:

Email: bluemeadowbeef@juno.com or call: 717 423 5365

Home Made Farm Baked Goods: Lois at Pecan Meadows sends her legendary pumpkin whoopie pies and other seasonal pies and breads: pecan, oatmeal, rhubarb this week.

For anyone about to head out to the market...Truck Patch Farms has two varieties of strawberries this morning. I don't remember the names, but one is obviously larger than the other. Both are good, but go for the smaller ones ... they are much sweeter and jucier.

On the way back from the market-we got a sticky bun, 2 strip steaks, asparagus (as fresh as can be!) and strawberries.

eta: thank you, MarketFan, for alerting us to the opening today. Also, Keswick will not be participating this year.

4589450970_504fa15217.jpg

Tucker says:

On the way back from the market-we got a sticky bun, 2 strip steaks, asparagus (as fresh as can be!) and strawberries.

eta: thank you, MarketFan, for alerting us to the opening today. Also, Keswick will not be participating this year.

I Yes, Keswick dropped their Saturday markets -- staffing problems and Melanie very much needed one day off a week. But we will have other cheese producers.

I t hink t he small strawbs are earliglows but I will confirm that.. They are very sweet .

Robin

I Yes, Keswick dropped their Saturday markets -- staffing problems and Melanie very much needed one day off a week. But we will have other cheese producers.

I t hink t he small strawbs are earliglows but I will confirm that.. They are very sweet .

Robin

He has earliglows, Chandlers and the French jam strawberry, Darselects.

New or Notable

Truck Patch's home made scrapple, made by Bryan himself.

Chez Hareg pies and cupcakes, choice of Vegan or Classic Butter

7 Varieties of Strawberries-- do your own strawberry tasting.

Sugar Snap Peas

Squash Blossoms

Summer Squash

Cherry Belle Radishes

Copper Pot SOUPS

Chez Hareg:  And now she is doing cupcakes, Vegan and classic. The She may even have a rhubarb strawberry crisp this week.... lots of cookies, pound cake, cupcakes, maybe some pies. vegan and classic

Truck Patch Farms: Strawberries: Has the sweet, old-fashion flavor of the smallish Earliglows, brilliantly red Chandlers, the large French Darselects (used in French jams!). Asparagus, radishes, lettuce, Spring mix, arugula, Swiss chard, kale, herbs. Have you tried the Scrapple? the Baltimore Sun wrote it up a few weeks ago. It is made from his premium pigs and organic cornmeal. salt and pepper and served at the Woodberry Kitchen. An artisanal traditional treat without the chemicals you see in a lot of scrapple. Amber hams. All the pastured pork cuts and sausages. Grass-fed Angus Beef. EGGS. Did you know that TP hopes that their organic certification will come through in the Fall?

<http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/dining/reviews/blog/2010/04/scrapple_without_the_scraps.html>http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/dining/reviews/blog/2010/04/scrapple_without_the_scraps.html

Copper Pot:  I can't tell exactly what Stefano is bringing this week because he wasn't sure when I spoke to him today, but there is likely to be duck ravioli with egg, nettle pappardelle, braised beef or lamb pasta, cavatelli, spinach and ricotta tortellini and lots of other choices. There MAY BE mushroom ragout. There will definitely be ASPARAGUS SOUP. Lots of jams to pair with Cherry Glen Goat Cheese and his sauces.

Cherry Glen Goat Cheese Company: Handmade, artisanal goat cheese. Fresh chevre and ricotta cheese and delicious crottins and brie-like wedges of creamy, soft-ripened cheese.

Mountain View: Never any pesticides. Salad greens, braising greens, radishes, kale, chard, beets, mustards, collard, spinach, bok choi, sage, chives, garlic chives, thyme, sweet marjoram. Lots of the best varieties of bedding plants: herbs and vegetables.

Faucher Meadow:  Elaine's long lived beauties this week include peonies, sweet william and Dutch iris flowers.

Garner's Produce: Squash Blossoms! Sugar Snap Peas! First of the Summer Squash! Sweet Charley Strawberries. Beets with their greens. Kohlrabi, the "alien vegetable" Salads: green and red and romaines, spring onions, chard. Broccoli, squash blossoms. Red and White Turnips. Blue Kale. And a huge variety of herbs, vegetables and flowers you can plant yourself in your garden or containers for your deck or kitchen windows. Plus beautiful hanging flowering baskets, planters and containers.

Pecan Meadow: EGGS: Free ranging chicken, duck and maybe some Goose. Grass fed and finished half Piedmontese beef in all cuts ( t-bone. porterhouse, NY strip, sirloin, sandwich, brisket, London Broil, sirloin tip, rump, eye round, chuck arm, soup bones, liver, heart, kidney, tongue,sausages. Grass -fed Lamb or Goat loin and shoulder chops, leg roasts, leg steaks, shanks. Lois' traditional Pennsylvania baked goods: pumpkin whoopie pies, pecan, oatmeal, rhubarb pies, pumpkin breads. Pre order your chickens and ducks at <mailto:bluemountainbeef%40juno.com>bluemountainbeef@juno.com.

Dolcezza: Made with local milk and cream from a small Maryland dairy. Free samples of every single flavor. This week's flavors: Valrhona Chocolate Amargo, Bananas Foster, Mexican Coffee, Lemon Ricotta Cardamom, Dulce de Leche, Strawberry Tequila, ChampagneMango, Avocado Honey Orange, Sicilan Blood Orange, Golden Margarita. Half the fat and calories and TWICE the taste of American ice cream.

Kuhn: very sweet asparagus, Fuji, goldrush, pink lady, braeburn apples. Rhubarb to cook up with strawberries. Honey, canned peaches, jelly, cider, flowers, mint, jerusalem artichokes.

McCleaf: Strawberries, rhubarb , purple and green asparagus, red and green kale, 3 flavors of apple butter, cameo apples.

Panorama Artisanal Bakery: new Breton Baguettes, croissants, sandwich breads, Rustiques, muffins, and twenty other kinds of breads: whole wheat, pumpernickels with and without raisins, ryes, sour dough, challahs, ciabatta, multi-grain rolls, olive oil buns (baked for Central's fancy hamburgers-- and us!)

14th was glorious this morning. Strawberries were in abundance, as were greens and turnips and radishes. Kudos to Mountain View (I think it was them, marketfan, please let me know if I was wrong) for having their nettles prepackages in ziplock bags. I also found the first basil I've seen all spring, as well as chives, thyme and other herbs.

One of the things I love about 14th is the layout, which has more space than other markets around. You are able to move freely from stand to stand without having to navigate throngs of people. The open feel provides a calm that I didn't feel at the other market I went to today.

14th was glorious this morning. Strawberries were in abundance, as were greens and turnips and radishes. Kudos to Mountain View (I think it was them, marketfan, please let me know if I was wrong) for having their nettles prepackages in ziplock bags. I also found the first basil I've seen all spring, as well as chives, thyme and other herbs.

One of the things I love about 14th is the layout, which has more space than other markets around. You are able to move freely from stand to stand without having to navigate throngs of people. The open feel provides a calm that I didn't feel at the other market I went to today.

yes, Mountain V had the nettles in bags to lessen the pain of cooking with them!

Any thoughts if nettles will still be around next Sat?

I also love the layout of the market, and that I can bring a dog. The parking has been very easy. Overall, 14th is one of my favorite markets-it's got a certain...I don't know what.

Any thoughts if nettles will still be around next Sat?

I also love the layout of the market, and that I can bring a dog. The parking has been very easy. Overall, 14th is one of my favorite markets-it's got a certain...I don't know what.

I am glad you like it!! I can ask Mountain View to bring nettles if they have more and I will post it on the Board if they do. They thought LAST week would be the end of the nettles, so I was surprised they had them this week. There are always surprizes that the producers don't expect. Crops that are ripe Friday that were not on Tuesday when I get market emails from them, other things that ripened too quickly or slowed by a cool night. That is why whatever I post can only be a partial snapshot, not a detailed promise of what will be in the market. This week Garner had tiny string beans he did not expect to have for one or two weeks yet.

NEW or Notable THIS WEEK:

*Baby new potatoes at Garner

*Shelled English Peas

*Squash flowers-- stuff them with ricotta and fry them or bake them and drizzle a lot of Stefano's sauce over

*Red and White grilling onions at Truck Patch

*Flowering Bok Choy at Mountain View

*Green Garlic at Mountain View

*Strawberry bread and chocolate whoopies with peanut butter icing

*Local Strawberry tart with Vegan custard, Vegan cupcakes

*LAMB and Goat back at Pecan Meadow

*Duck and GOOSE eggs at Pecan Meadow, Chicken eggs at PM and Truck Patch.

*Cherry Glen Goat Cheeses

*Strawberry Tarts with Vegan custard and Market strawberries at Chez Hareg

*Strawberry Pernod sorbet and Strawberries and cream gelato

Scrapple made from Truck Patch Prime Pork, not scraps

STRAWBERRIES at Truck Patch, Kuhn and Garner. 7 varieties of strawberries including Chandlers, Sweet Charley and Earliglow. Try some from Garner and some from Truck Patch and Kuhn and McCleaf -- see whether you prefer Maryland or Virginia or Pennsylvania strawbs...

ASPARAGUS  (from Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia) are still abundant and you should get them grilled this weekend. Try the recipe for Asparagus Strawberry Salad with Strawberry vinaigrette -- it is on our market table

CHERRY GLEN . Award winning goat cheese, fresh and aged. Great with Stefano's jams and strawberries....and Panorama's breads. Stuff the ricotta into squash flowers, or drizzle it with honey and serve it with strawberries. Their soft ripened cheeses are like wedges of good Brie. You can taste them all at their stand.

CHEZ HAREG:  Both Vegan and Classic.  Vegan:  cupcakes , Napoleon Cakes, Cookies, Sugar-free loaves, fruit tarts.  Traditional Butter: Croissants, Cookies, Brownies, pound cake, Macaroons

TRUCK PATCH will have every cut of pork you could want Fresh pork chops you can grill Saturday night, spare ribs, loin roast, shoulder roasts, baby back ribs, bratwurst and kielbasa sausages are just a few of Truck Patch's choices. He likes St Louis ribs for his own family. 30 minutes on a hot grill, 60 minutes on a medium grill, 2 hours smoked. Bigger than a baby rack

He has good grass-fed Black Angus beef, too! And lots of chicken eggs for deviled eggs!

PECAN MEADOW grass fed and finished steaks are superb. Half Italian Piedmontese, they just need some salt and a drizzle of olive oil after you grill them. T bones- porterhousoe, sirloin, New York Strip, fillet, flank. Lamb this week, too!

Lois is making strawberry bread, chocolate whoopies withpeanut butter frosting, lots of pies including rhubarb.

Stefano Frigiero's Copper Pot fabulous Pastas this week: Handmade pastas. of course. Rabbit ravioli, prosciutto tortellini, beets and goat cheese ravioli, sausage and sage ravioli, gluten free tagliolini, spelt tagliolini, cavatelli, gnocchi, spaghetti. Jams with attitude that go so well with Cherry Glen cheeses.: strawberries and vanilla, figs and balsamic, blackberries and ginger, peach and prosecco, and apple jam. Sauces: smokey bacon and parmesan sauce, tomato, and shallots and barolo.

GREAT GREENS at Mountain View, Garner, McCleaf and Truck Patch Salad Greens, Romaine, Purple Head Lettuce, Mustard bunches, Swiss Chard, Bok Choi, Flowering Bok Choy, Kale, Turnip Greens, Collards, Hakurei turnips (so sweet you can just cut them into a salad. However, I also like to slice them and stew them briefly in a bit of butter, covered...), Radishes, Mesclun, Baby Spinach, Stir-fry greens. Red and White Spring Onions that are great on the grill. Herbs :Mint, Chives, Garlic Chives. Parsley, Chocolate Mint, Sage, Thyme.

Look for tiny summer squash, sugar snap peas, young broccoli heads, bees and their delicious greens kohlrabi, rutabaga, maybe some more early green beans...

KUHN AND MCCLEAF ORCHARDS Lots of juicy apples and apple butters. Honey, apples, cider, rhubarb ( cook it up with spring onions and green garlic for a great compote with pork or fish)

Make green garlic pesto.   This is a variation of that robust summery basil and garlic pesto.

Plant Your Gardens and Patios:  Lots of plant starts for your gardens or containers: tomatoes, peppers, hot peppers, herbs, flowers, lettuce, cucumbers, squash, and eggplant

Bouquets: Elaine's long lived flowers will include Sweet William, loads of pink peonies, Dutch Iris. Foxtail lilies.

DOLCEZZA GELATO AND SORBET- It is hard to choose a fave. Maybe the Mojito? The Strawberry Pernod? Thai Coconut Milk? On the other hand, Espresso Black Cat gelato could be a nice way to prolong a brunch. Lemon Ricotta Cardamom from Keswick ricotta? Honey Tangerine? Go taste and decide for yourself.

And of course, PANORAMA BREAD: baguettes go well with sausages, ciabatta rolls make a great pork sandwich with greens, The Rustique is lovely heaped with sauteed swiss chard or mustards, Pumpernickel is perfect with cheese or smoked salmon, turkey or ham...

See you Saturday, rain or shine.

Robin, Carrie, Kristen

We Welcome WIC, Senior Get Fresh Checks and EBT Food Stamps. Martha's Table is our gleaning partner.

Hi everyone,

Welcome back to the market after the Memorial Day Weekend! I hope you had great parties and picnics and beach walks. We will be there rain or shine, heat or cool, humidity or not. ;-)

So, what are we cooking this week? August heat and humidity ALREADY? I am grilling and eating salads and lots of vegetables, This past weekend Jeff and I grilled a spatchcocked (butterflied) Italian chicken from Pecan Meadow (Just salt it a day in advance, remove the backbone with poultry sheers and flatten it. It grills very quickly) and some good steaks from Truck Patch. Took advantage of the embers for some slices of summer squash and spring onions. I served them both with a cilantro vinaigrette. We will eat the chicken and steak on market salad greens for lunch all week My husband has been a ravenous strawberry eater this year and we have been devouring them for breakfast and dessert. ( But we won't have strawberries too much longer so stock up, jam makers.) Kuhn has asparagus with beautiful furled heads : they are picture perfect, just the way I was taught asparagus should look. I keep roasting or grilling them and serving them with Cherry Glen ricotta and capers. One forgets how SWEET fresh asparagus are. Like tomatoes, out -of- season asparagus do not tempt me because they lose all that fresh flavor when they have travelled for days to the supermarket. No need for a heavy hollandaise with fresh ones.

Here is the chicken recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/magazine/30food-t-001.html?ref=dining

NEW or Notable this week:

CHERRY TOMATOES and Vidalia Style Onionsat GARNER

*RED RASPBERRIES at Kuhn and Garner

*PIE CHERRIES at Kuhn -- t

*English Peas, some shelled, Snow Peas, Sugar Snaps

•Garlic Scapes throughout the market

*Summer Squash at Mt View and continuing at Garner

*Carrots at Mountain View

*Flat Iron Steaks at Pecan Meadow--very tender and very flavorful.

*White Fig/Balsamic or Apricot/ Rosemary Copper Pot jams created to flavor Grilled Meats.

*Goldrush, Pink Lady, Cameo Apples at the Orchards

*Spring Onions -- great on the grill

*Beets and their delicious greens

*New Potatoes

*Squash Blossoms: Nature's way of giving you ultra thin ravioli without having to roll out the dough.

* NEW Andouille and Smoked Kielbasa at Truck Patch

MOUNTAIN VIEW FARM: Never any pesticides on this farm. Salad greens, head lettuce. Summer Squash, beets, carrots, kale, collards, arugula, bunching onions, garlic scapes. Sugar Snap peas.

KUHN'S ORCHARDS. Red raspberries, Pie Cherries, strawberries, Cider, Apples- Fuji, Goldrush, Pink Lady. Garlic scapes, snow peas, English peas, Scallions, Canned Peaches.

MCCLEAF ORCHARDS: Lettuce (5 varieties), red and green kale, swiss chard, apple butter, spring onions, Cameo apples and possibly the last of their strawberries.

Garner: Bernard's Northern Neck fields are already starting to produce Cherry Tomatoes. Summer squash including 8 ball, gold bar, yellow zucchini,. patty pan, sunburst. Red Pontiac and White Superior NEW potatoes that steam in a few minutes and make great potato salads, Solo beets, lettuces, red and white spring onions, radishes of several colors, Swiss Chard, arugula, turnips white and red, greens, spinach, squash flowers, shelled peas, Kale, broccoli, cauliflower (white and cheddar), cabbages, Toscano Kale...

CHERRY GLEN GOAT CHEESE:  Just 28 miles away in Boyds, MD. Ricotta, chevre and their award- winning soft ripened cheeses that are similar to Brie. You can sample ALL seven of their cheeses including Sweet Ricotta made daily and tangy chevre, a goat cream cheese.

PECAN MEADOWS: Grass ranging poultry provides duck, chicken and those huge Goose eggs. Grass -lfed half PIedmontese beef, goat, lamb.

TIP: try their new Flat Iron Steak: One famous butcher blogs this about it: The Flat Iron is, in this butcher's mind, one of the most versatile pieces of beef. It takes to a marinade like no other, it's tender beyond belief, and you can cook it with much success in many methods. You can grill it, use if for stirfry meat, use it for fajitas, braise it, fanfry it. Really, it is a great little cut that hopefully you will want to go out and try  One of the most surprising things... that the Flat Iron is in fact, the second most tender cut of meat from the steer, after the tenderloin."

TRUCK PATCH: Close to getting their organic certification. For carnivores: every cut of pastured pork and sausages including their new GROUND HAM for salads and sausages. smoked Kielbasa. Andouille. Lots of grass- fed beef burgers, steak Always salad central: arugula, Last of the excellent strawberries. There will be strawberry specials. Red, White and Yellow Spring onions. Last call for asparagus. Arugula. Lots of greens. Field spinach --that's true spinach with crinkly leaves, high in iron ( not the baby spinach stuff.) Radishes. Broccoli maybe.

Chicken lovers: You can order chickens and ducks from Daniel at bluemountainbeef@juno.com or order chickens for next week from Truck Patch at market@truckpatchfarms.com

FAUCHER MEADOWS: The hot summer sun certainly has not hurt Elaine's flower fields. Snapdragons. Fox-tail lilies. Asiatic Lilies. Larkspur. Hydrangeas. Peonies. Long lived and beautiful bouquets you can create yourself or ask Elaine to create for you.

DOLCEZZA: Summer heat = frozen treats to cool off. Last week I was swooning over the Cucumber Mint Vodka sorbet . It is such a savory, refreshing flavor. You can sample every single flavor at the stand without any commitment. Pick your own favorite this week. All the milk and cream comes from a local Maryland family dairy. As the fruits ripen at the orchards, Rob will spin them into his creative concoctions.

COPPER POT: Did you know that Stefano created savory jams especially to eat with or marinate/season (grilled) meats like the White Fig and Balsamic or the Apricot and Rosemary? And jams for Cherry Glen's cheeses? You may not immediately think PASTA for hot days, but the Italians certainly do. It Ask Stefano for his summer pasta suggestions. And try his weekly soups from local vegetables.

PANORAMA: Yes, they will have LOTS more bread and pastries this week. They promise. Croissants, rolls, buns, baguettes, rustiques, pumpernickels, whole wheat, sourdoughs. Loaves and boules, they all freeze well for later in the week so that you always have Loic's bread when you want it.

Chez Hareg: What doesn't Hareg bake? From pure French all butter croissants to Vegan cookies that taste an awful lot like her classic petits fours, her stand is full of great sweets baked at her 4th Street NE bakery.

See you Saturday.

New:

• CHERRIES Sweet and Tart
  • First eggplant at Garner
  • More sungold cherry tomatoes and
  • PRIDE SALES on squash: 15 dollars a HALF bushel
  • Great Price on Potatoes by the peck for only 5 bucks. Think Potato Salads for parties.
  • Leafy celery heads for your Bloody Marys!
  • Raspberries all over
  • Beef Kebabs and more Flat Iron Steaks at Pecan Meadow
  • Italian Sweet Sausage in beef collagen casings (no more pork casings) -- links and loose at PM
  • Gooseberries at Kuhn
  • Leeks at Kuhn
  • Garlic Scapes

MOUNTAIN VIEW: Dinosaur (Lacinato) and Red Russian Kale, young tender collards, lettuces. Grate those Chioggia, Red Ace and Yellow Cylindrical beets raw into a salad with carrots and Hakurei turnips. Chop up some spring onions over them. Sugar Snap peas. Sugar Snap peas. Sugar Snap Peas. It is Garlic Scape season and you can chop them and add them to a quick saute of.....Sugar Snap Peas.... Swiss Chard is so easy to cook -- just roll the leaves into a cigar shape and chop through them into shreds. Saute quickly with garlic OR you can use raisins.... Basil, thyme, sage, chives, too.

DOLCEZZA: Of course you want Rob's wonderful rainbow- colored sorbets and gelato for your weekend guests! Not just the amazing Cucmber Mint Vodka, but also local Blueberry Lemon Thyme, Strawberry Tequila, Red Raspberry, Mojita. Gelato from local milk and cream: Honey Lavender. Virginia Peanut Butter. Mexican Coffee. Lemon Ricotta Cardamom. Valrhone Chocolate Amargo..

GARNER Raspberries. First eggplant of the season plus Sungold Cherry Tomatoes and regular red tomatoes. Peas will be limited due to the heat last week. but beans are looking great. Think Summer Squash: a half bushel for only 15 dollars. Crazy cheap. Will be selling potatoes by the peck for $5. all varieties red yellow white. romaine and green leaf lettuce, red and white spring onions, bright lights swiss chard, red pontiac and superior white new spuds that are delicious either steamed or roasted. Summer Squash ( 8-bal, one all, his all time fave- gold bar, yellow, zucchini, patty pan, sunburst, cukes, turnips, shelled peas, spinach and sugar snap peas. Leafy Celery heads for juicing or salads. Vidalia style onions. Caulifloer. broccoli,

FAUCHER MEADOWS: Gorgeous bouquets for your table: Snapdragons, Delphinium, Rudbekia, Hydrangeas, Butterfly Weed, Campanula.

TRUCK PATCH: Raspberies. Last of the strawberries and asparagus. lots of salad greens including their young mustard and mizuna mix, arugula, mesclun, asparagus, curly kale, every cut of pastured pork you can imagine and lots of Angus Beef steaks and roasts! Have you tried the Andouille and Smoked Kielbasa sausages yet?

KUHN: CHERRIES, both sweet and tart. A few more strawberries, LOTS of RASPBERRIES, gooseberries, leeks, scallions, beets, radishes, dill, cilantro, Garlic Scapes, Apples-- Fuji, Goldrush, Pink Lady, Cider

McCLEAF  sweet and tart cherries, cameo apples, 4 kinds of lettuce, red and green kale, swiss chard, broccoli, cabbage, spring onions with tops, our first tomatoes,apple butter and canned peaches

PECAN MEADOW: Treat your guests to Lois' famous pumpkin whoopie pies, rhubarb pies, pecan pies and strawberry breads. Grass fed and finished steaks, roasts, sausages, patties, ground beef, sandwich steaks. Shin bones. And those luscious chicken, duck and goose eggs. Lamb and goat, too.

Want a Chicken that tastes like Chicken? Order it for delivery at the market by emailing Daniel at bluemountainbeef@juno.com

Cherry Glen Goat Cheeses: 7 local goat cheeses from Boyds MD. Chevre, Ricotta and 5 soft ripened ones -- much like an interesting brie.

COPPER POT: Stefano makes more pasta every week -- braised rabbit, spinach and ricotta, beets and ricotta, cavatelli, those gnocchi that made Maestro famous, sauces. Jams WITH ATTITUDE jams that go so well with Cherry Glen cheeses....strawberry with vanilla, white fig and balsamic and apricot=rosemary were crafted to go with our loca, pastured meats, by the way. Great dinner gifts

CHEZ HAREG: Vegan and classic French sweets. Too many to name but all of them are excellent. Cookies, bars, napoleans are just a few.

PANORAMA: Yes, you can get the exact same olive oil buns that Loic bakes for Central's hamburgers (and us!) the parmesan hamburger rolls, the sliced multi grain and rye breads, the pumpernickels, sourdough boules, whole wheats, baguettes, croissants, sticky buns, muffins, etc. I had some of his Rustique at the Bar at Cityzen last week!

ENJOY PRIDE.

Robin, Carrie and Kristen

KESWICK NEWS:

Keswick cheese lovers, Keswick needs your help. It is a sad story. <http://keswickcreamery.com/Save%20Our%20Family%20Farm.html>Keswick'>http://keswickcreamery.com/Save%20Our%20Family%20Farm.html>Keswick Creamery is on the verge of losing their farm. Not because business is slow– they’re actually growing and getting lots of awards and great publicity but Mel’s parents are divorcing, and her father is looking to quickly cash out his half of the farm. If Mel and Mark don’t raise $300,000 by September 1st to buy out his share, the cows, machinery, and land will be put up for auction! To raise money they are offering a great deal on a cheese CSA with farmers’ market vouchers you can use weekly or subscribe to home delivery several times a year! And you get a great discount by subscribing, up to fifty percent , depending on the subscription plan you choose.

This could be a great (wedding, new baby, foodie birthday) gift for cheese lovers, even for people who live in other cities. because one of their options is a cheese box shipped several times a year.

Here is where to find out the details:

http://keswickcreamery.com/Save%20Our%20Family%20Farm.html (If the link does not work, go to Keswickcreamery.com)

Come to market despite the heat!

• BABY ARTICHOKES! So young and tender they barely have those fuzzy chokes.
  • First of the season SWEET YELLOW CORN and Heirloom TOMATOES for the early birds! They will go quickly at Garner
  • Heirloom tomatoes, Romas, sweet cherry toms
  • PEACHES PEACHES PEACHES -- hot weather makes sweet peaches.
  • French shallots and skinny French string beans (haricots verts)
  • Purple and yellow Sweet Peppers
  • lots of berries --blueberries and raspberries of many colors- blackberries
  • Spectacular Organically grown Flowers at Faucher Meadows
  • More Cherries
  • Eggplant
  • Gooseberries

MOUNTAIN VIEW Mountain View: Swiss Chard, summer squash, cucumbers, kale, leeks, fennel, carrots, Red Ace,Golden and Chioggia striped beets, spring onions, storage onions, salad greens, head lettuce, herbs.

Incredible cold beet gazpacho: The complete David Tanis' recipe will be on the Market Table. The best I have tasted. It is easy and unusual. Sliced beets simmered in 4 cups of seasoned water and then pureed, cooled and just before serving, mixed with yogurt and served in glasses. Very elegant and a gorgeous color.

Fennel and Leek soup: Chop up the green part of the Leeks from Kuhn and saute it with chopped green stalk of some fennel in olive oil until soft. Salt. Add water to cover. Cover until very soft and then puree until very smooth. Serve topped with a drizzle of olive oil and a choice of: yogurt or parmesan or Cherry Glen cheese. Save the white leeks and the fennel bulb for another recipe

GARNER: Yellow corn, Heirloom tomatoes, Romas, sweet cherry tomatoes, blackberries, raspberries, peppers, onions, eggplants, cucumbers, new potatoes, celery, squash blossoms, summer squash in all shapes and colors and nationalities.

DOLCEZZA: BEAT THE HEAT with their sorbets: Cucumber mint vodka, Purple or Red Raspberry, Lemon Opal Basil and try the Blackberries and Cream gelato among their other flavors. Half the fat and half the calories of American gelato and the sorbet is fat free. A sinless indulgence on a hot day.

FAUCHER MEADOWS: Zinnias, dahlias, Delphiniums, Bells of Ireland, Lilies, Gladioli grace Elaine's stand this week and she will create bouquets for you. Long life flowers from her two acres of meadows.

KUHN: peaches, apricots, garlic and blueberries. Along with red and black raspberries, sweet cherries, pie cherries, baby artichokes, carrots, radishes, beets, French filet benas, leeks, cider, dill, cilanro, French shallots, Thai Basil, Black and Red currants, Gooseberries..

MCCLEAF: Spring snow peaches, apricots, blueberries, cameo apples, lettuce - two varieties, kale - red and green, onions w/tops, swiss chard, cabbage, tomatoes, canned peaches, three kinds of apple butter, okra, summer squash.

TRUCK PATCH: Eggs. Summer squash and hothouse tomatoes. Lots of Greens: lettuce, salad mix, stir fry mix, arugula, Swiss chard, curly kale,herbs. Radishes. Pastured Pork. Grass fed beef. . Ground meat: beef, hamburger patties, ground pork, loose sausage, and ground ham. Sausages: Kielbasa, Andouille. sage, celery, applewurst, country hot, mild and hot Italian, sweet Italian with fennel, kielbasa, bratwurst. Steaks, chops and tenderloins, spare ribs, baby back ribs, pork shoulder. Their much admired bacon. And Bryan has stared to raise goats. Want Chickens? pre-order at <mailto:orders@truckpatchfarms.com>order@truckpatchfarms.com

PECAN MEADOWS: Eggs. Eggs. Eggs. Italian chickens. Grass-fed -and-finished half Piedmontese beef. in all cuts. Pastured lamb and goat. Lots of meat for the grill. Lois' traditional Pennsylvania baking. Want an Italian chicken or whole muscovy duck? Email Daniel or Lois at bluemountainbeef@juno.com.

CHERRY GLEN GOAT CHEESE: Hot weather? Think Provence. Add goat cheese to your hot weather salads and vegetable. Handmade, artisanal Ricotta, fresh Chevre. French-style crottins and Brie-like wedges of creamy, soft-ripened cheese. Our award winning local dairy. Create your own chevre and beet salad! (You can top the David Tanis pink beet gazpacho with chevre as well!)

Breads and pastries ( huge variety of breads and both Vegan and Classic French pastries) from Panorama and Chez Hareg.

See you Saturday

Robin, Carrie and Kristen

--

Hi 14&U FM Fan:

You may want to stop by Kuhn for a sample of their Saturn/Donut/Flying Saucer peaches. The small flattish ones with the indentation in the middle (yes, an innie). Yellow-reddish skin, yellow flesh, thin, almost fuzzless skin, they are sweet and fragrant with a hint of almond. Originally imported from China in the 1860s.

Lois Shirk just emailed me that this Saturday will be the LAST weekend she will bake her famous Pumpkin Whoopie Pies until her son Ryan's new crop is ready for harvest. Many months away. So, if you are addicted to them, stock up. They freeze very well. These are the Whoopie Pies that started the DC Craze for them.

NEW or Notable for people who just want to skim quickly:

• Last of Lois's Pumpkin Whoopie Pie
  • First of of Kuhn's Saturn or Donut peaches
  • Lots of Lamb
  • Return of the Blueberry pies from Chez Hareg
  • Tiny Black Eyed peas so fresh that they cook up in NO time (I just served them as a salad with chopped tomatoes, cukes and red onions, olive oil and sherry vinegar.) 'Course you could add bacon....
  • Baby delicate bok choy and baby artichokes
  • Lots of corn, tomatoes, peaches, berries
  • Peppers, eggplant, summer squash
  • Cherry Glen's BRONZE MEDAL Monocracy Ash (2009 US Champion Cheese Awards)-- Free samples at their stand.
  • Very corny yellow corn
    New Dolcezza flavors
    1. Beer Can Chicken Ravioli at Copper Pot

[*]Check out our new recipe binders at the market table

Mountain View: Farming on an environmental preserve and educational center. Swiss Chard, tiny delicate baby bok choy that you barely saute with freshly cured garlic. Very yum. Purplette mini onions.. Beets, Green Beans, Cucumbers (more varieties than you have ever seen including Armenian Yard Long and Lemon), leeks, Heirloom Mangel Beets. Super Star Onions, Summer Squash, heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, mini Romas called Juliets, green and hot wax Hungarian peppers. Basil for Pesto -- Genovese and Dark Opal. Eggplant. Purple and Red new potatoes.

TIP: Just steam or boil them and then toss with some olive oil and fresh herbs. I am partial to tarragon, but parsley and chives or rosemary is nice as well. Basil works.

Cherry Glen Goat Cheese: Did you know that Cherry Glen won the Bronze Medal for best American cheese for their Monocracy Ash? (No, that is NOT mold you see, it is not a blue cheese, it is a layer of edible ash. ) Chevre, Ricotta, and other soft mold brie like cheeses as well. Good with watermelon, delicious with Stefano's jams, just what you want for a tomato cucumber salad.

Truck Patch: Mesclun, arugula, chard, curly kale, cucumbers, green beans, red and white spring onions, squash, Athena cantaloupe (Brian plants them only 18 inches apart so that they stay small and concentrated), herbs. Lots of his pastured pork. Basil, lots of summer squash, sausages.

Tip: Make your own pork burgers from ground pork. it is a nice change from beef burgers. But if you have a taste for grass -fed beef....Truck Patch raises Black Angus.

Of course everyone grows basil in their windows and gardens but you need large bunches to make pesto, you will need lots for sliced tomato salads --get the bunches you need at the market.

Pecan Meadow: The flat iron steaks are really beefy. There will be lots of lamb and goat, beef and eggs. Pre -order your chicken and duck.

McCleaf: Very corny yellow corn!. Corey will have blueberries, black raspberries, blackberries, Perfumed white sugar May peaches, yellow Desiree peaches, Tomatoes from the 'patch', kale, beets, fresh onions, green and purple beans, apricots, cabbage, kale, swiss chard, new red and white potatoes, squash. as for the peaches, we had Desiree last week. Yes, some of them will be Desiree this week, but not all. Which white peach? We are picking from a row with no tag

Kuhn: white and yellow peaches and nectarines, REALLY sweet apricots, Purple Methley and chartreuse Shiro plums, raspberries., blueberries and blackberries, Okra, French haricots verts, shallots, freshly cured garlic, tomatillos, carrots, leeks, baby artichokes..onions, leeks, shallots, beans, fennel, Mars and Candy onions, honey, gooseberries, basil and flowers, cider and Thai Basil, Dill and cilantro to chop with those tomatillos for salsa verde.

Peaches pair together beautifully with blackberries in yogurt, in cobblers and in pies.

Faucher Meadows: Elaine is bringing her elegant lisianthus, sunflowers and zinnias among others this week.

Copper Pot: Too hot to boil water? Try Stefano's cold soups for lunch or dinner. Lots of stuffed pastas and savory jam condiments that really bring out the flavor of cheeses or grilled meats. Stefano will give you ice to keep your pastas cold on their way home.

Garner: Yellow corn, red and white potatoes, 7 kinds of summer squash, beans (green, yellow and wax), okra, tomatoes (early girls, sunchief, roma, cherry), peppers (hot, purple, green, King Arthur and yellow, eggplants (finger, ghostbuster, big purple, japanese). Cucumbers, Artichokes. Watermelon (try it in a salad.with a salty cheese like feta or Cherry Glen Crottin). Cantaloup and yellow French melons. Tiny, fresh Black Eyes Peas.

DOLCEZZA: Summertime and the gelato is just what you want for a LIGHT BUT DEEPLY FLAVORED dessert. Did you know that gelato is naturally only half the fat and calories of regular ice cream--and twice the flavor. And Sorbeto has no fat at all. This week's gelati: include the Washingtonian PICK, Valrhona Chocolate Amargo, Thai Coffee Lemon Ricotta Cardamom made with Keswick Ricotta, Pistacchio di Bronte, Blackberries and Cream...

SORBETTI include the various peach treats,,Black Raspberry,Lemon Opal Basil,Yellow Peach Southern Comfort, Cucumber Tarragon Gin.

Dolcezza's fruits and milk and cream all come from local producers -- often from the 14&U Farmers' Market!

Chez Hareg: berry pies. Lemon bars. cupcakes, french style cookies. brownies. Alll sorts of treats, both VEGAN and classic French. Very good croissants.

Panorama Artisanal Bakery: 20 varieties of breads from traditional baguettes to pumpernickel, breakfast pastries and croissants.

Whew, what a hot one yesterday!

IMG_6264.jpg

My market haul was:

A sticky bun from Panorama

2 NY strips, 2 lamb shoulder chops, eggs and a delicious pumpkin whoopie pie from Pecan Meadows.

Slab smoked bacon and pork tenderloin from Truck Patch

Corn, fresh black eyed peas and Italian flat beans from Garner's

Red and gold beets (with lots of greens attatched) from McCleaf's

Really? The last of the pumpkin whoopie pies? :)

ALB, on 18 July 2010 - 11:49 PM, said:

I talked to Mark Toigo about this last year- but didn't end up making the sauce. But he might be another person to check with.

Another farm to check with at 14&U Saturday and Sunday at Bloomingdale iis Garner Produce. Bernard has been selling big boxes of seconds for 12 dollars. He used to sell to Carol Greenwood. Or Truck Patch at both markets.

Does Garner Produce bring the boxes without prior request? I'd love to pick up a box.

ALB, on 18 July 2010 - 11:49 PM, said:

I talked to Mark Toigo about this last year- but didn't end up making the sauce. But he might be another person to check with.

Another farm to check with at 14&U Saturday and Sunday at Bloomingdale iis Garner Produce. Bernard has been selling big boxes of seconds for 12 dollars. He used to sell to Carol Greenwood. Or Truck Patch at both markets.

Does Garner Produce bring the boxes without prior request? I'd love to pick up a box.

Bernard had them the last two weeks but you can email to find out: dboyle AT garnersproduce DOT com

The story this week has to be the HUGE Tomato sale on sauce tomatoes -- ie good quality seconds.--I will be making gazpachos, slow roasting them and freezing them Sunday or Monday. Can them, Make sauce. Cook them into tomato Jam. etc. A 25 pound box for 12 dollars, which is amazing. Less than 50 cents a pound. Email Garner RIGHT NOW if you want them although I am sure he will have extra boxes at the market anyway.

dboyle AT garnersproduce DOT com.

If you don't get them on Saturday, then order for Sunday pickup at BFM (Bloomingdale Farmers' Market at First and R Streets NW)

A few highlights from this week's market.

• Otherwise, we will be awash in a rainbow:
    of brightly colored heirloom tomatoes (black Krim, Prudence Purple, Amana Orange, German Striped, Chocolate Cherry, Sun Gold and Sweet Millionaire Cherry Toms);
  • red, yellow, orange, white, green peppers:
  • green, yellow,purple beans, many colors of onions.
  • All those Asian and Euro eggplants from white to pale green to deep aubergine.
  • Lots of corn, of course and mountains of peaches and nectarines and apricots.

Local Blueberry pies and local peach cobblers at Chez Hareg Oh, and please read this charming story of how one Eckington woman discoverd Hareg's lemon squares: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Eckington/message/16936

There is so much more from shallots to fennel to leeks, tomatillos, baby artichokes, beets, radishes, 5 kinds of basil, mints, sage, oregano, thyme, chives.

We picked up a box of tomatoes shortly after 9am, and Garner's already had sold 5 of them to people who had emailed to get on a list. So, if MarketFan indicates that Garner's will have seconds next week ($.50/pound, $12 for the box), do email to ensure you get a box when you go. The tomatoes are in overall very nice condition, and I can't wait to turn them into sauce tomorrow.

Also got Garner's bi-color corn, Pecan Meadows whoopie pie which was chocolate with peanut butter filling (they will have the pumpkin whoopie pies in the Fall), Kuhn's peaches and another tenderloin of pork from Truck Patch.

Holy shit it was hot...bless those producers and volunteers. My hat's off to you all!

We picked up a box of tomatoes shortly after 9am, and Garner's already had sold 5 of them to people who had emailed to get on a list. So, if MarketFan indicates that Garner's will have seconds next week ($.50/pound, $12 for the box), do email to ensure you get a box when you go. The tomatoes are in overall very nice condition, and I can't wait to turn them into sauce tomorrow.

Also got Garner's bi-color corn, Pecan Meadows whoopie pie which was chocolate with peanut butter filling (they will have the pumpkin whoopie pies in the Fall), Kuhn's peaches and another tenderloin of pork from Truck Patch.

Holy shit it was hot...bless those producers and volunteers. My hat's off to you all!

Garner told me today at market at BFM that he WILL definitely have 25 pound boxes for 12 dollars = tomatoes for people who email him this week. dboyle AT garnersproduce DOT com. Be sure to add WHICH market you want to attend, 14&U Saturday or Bloomingdale (BFM) Sunday. It WAS hot and I think it felt even hotter today at BFM. Truck Patch is running good prices on heirlooms, btw.

14&U FM

Saturday of Dog Days August 8th Sidewalk Sale

9-1

14th and U Streets NW (sidewalk of the Reeves Center)

At the market the DC Food Bloggers will be doing back- to back -Cooking Demos all day from 10-1!

Here is the program:

* 10 AM Olga Berman - mangotomato.blogspot.com will create a Raw Beet and Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese.

* 10:45AM Alejandra Owens - alejandraowens.wordpress.com has Goat Cheesecake and No bake Lasagne.

* 11:30 Tammy Gordon - Floridagirlindc.blogspot.com is on with a Farmers Market Summer Confetti

* 12:15 Sylvie Nguyen - Thriftydccook.com is doing a delicious Thai Beef Salad

DOLCEZZA will be scooping gelato and sorbet to enjoy while you shop. And to take home, they have new containers that will keep your frozen delights really COLD for two hours while you shop.

LIKE CHICKEN WINGS? Pecan Meadow has a HUGE Sale. Buy a pound, get a pound free.

WANT TOMATOES FOR 50 CENTS A POUND? Reserve a 25 pound box for just 12 dollars at dboyle AT garnersproduce DOT com. (Make Bloody Marys, blend up Gazpacho, Roast tomatoes and freeze them or can your favorite sauce.

Sweet Tooth? Chocolate Chip Cookies, Molasses Cookies, Carrot Cupcakes, croissants, muffins, Vegan and Classic French cookies, lemon bars....

Try Kuhn's favorite "REDGOLD Nectarines"--Sydney says it is the best fruit on the farm.

Plus: Duck rabbit BBC chicken corn eggplant and ricotta ravioli plus fondue and truffle beef tortellini gnocchi

Jam and sauces, Caponata tomato bruschetta marinated red peppers and basil pesto, Cold creamy corn soup with spicy oil

Tons of tomatoes of all pedigrees, cherry and heirloom, peppers both hot and sweet,chard, garlic, onions in rainbow hues, shallots, leeks, French filet beans, Fennel, baby artichokes, potatoes, basil, leek, okra, bitter melon summer squash,carrot pecan bread, zucchini bread, lisianthus, hydrangea, zinnas, celosias, sunflowers, Basil, Cilantro, Dill....

White, Yellow and Saturn Peaches, Red and yellow raspberries, blueberries, Early eating Apples like GingerGold and Zestar, 4 types of plums,Seascape Strawberries, melons and watermelons,

Them Garner's tomatoes are mighty fine stuff. I am making tomato soup with them right now and have about 32 quarts of tomato sauce frozen from the first 125# with amybe 16 either as soup or already consumed. Today I only got 75# for batch number 2.

Also McCleaf's has incredible blackberries and kale. First time I ever bought a 50 gallon trashbag full of kale. As I was walking it to the car, several interested passerby's were told that I was hungry and had a large bottle of salad dressing in the car! Last week I got 20# of his heirloom overripes for sauce that were very nice indeed.

Them Garner's tomatoes are mighty fine stuff. I am making tomato soup with them right now and have about 32 quarts of tomato sauce frozen from the first 125# with amybe 16 either as soup or already consumed. Today I only got 75# for batch number 2.

Also McCleaf's has incredible blackberries and kale. First time I ever bought a 50 gallon trashbag full of kale. As I was walking it to the car, several interested passerby's were told that I was hungry and had a large bottle of salad dressing in the car! Last week I got 20# of his heirloom overripes for sauce that were very nice indeed.

Glad you did so well, Dean! And you are doing exactly the right thing-- buying in quantity what is at peak season and in glut. And buying good quality seconds for sauces and preserving. That is the way to get good stuff at great prices. Garner is offering incredible deals on those tomatoes. McCleaf has a green thumb for Kale, indeed. I keep asking Corey what they are doing to grow such flavorful kale, but he says there are no secret ingredients in his patch. So, I don't know WHY his kale is so good, but it is. I saw it in the field and it looked like everyone's else's kale, but it sure tastes different.