171 replies to this topic

#151 johnl

johnl

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

Pretty new place on The Corner (or just off it, depending on how pure you are): Roots Natural Kitchen. As one can surmise from the name, it's predicated on healthy stuff. Given the location, it's catering to students (and faculty members, such as I). The prices are good. Parking is the usual Corner hassle (though not so bad during these summer months—and take the trolley!).

I've only been once. The food was O.K. I had a standard dish ("Mad Bowl," which is a bit of inside joke) and my date created a custom bowl. You can design the order, which is probably the way to go. More tests will follow. The concept could work out well, as the paths toward different cuisine-flavors get refined. 

Just east of the railroad underpass on University, almost across from the George Rodgers Clark statue. 

#152 johnl

johnl

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:23 PM

I can recommend one that only appears on their specials board called the For the Win. You have tortilla options, but if you're not going for corn I'm not sure if we can be friends.

The salsa/hot sauce selection was a bit mild for my tastes, sadly.

When I remember, I take my own salsa to any place. Those at commercial places are almost alwaysl too wimpy, but they have to cater to the public, of course. IF folks use habaneros, they are in low single-digit %s. I like 'em as a major player in my salsas.

By the way, check out "Mad Hatter" as a bottled local salsa available in various places around C'ville.

#153 johnl

johnl

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:33 PM

The Harrisonburg, VA, affiliate of NPR ran a story about truffle farming in central Virginia that I thought some folks might find interesting. 

For thousands of years Black Perigord truffles have been the purview of European cuisine, specifically of France and Spain. But a perfect storm of enthusiasm, demand, and production could soon make Virginia a source for truffle production.  WMRA’s Amy Loeffler has the story.

#154 pcollins

pcollins

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

Agreed that the salsas at Brazo's fall into the wimpy camp. Their hottest is jalapenos only. Instead of major heat, the interesting inclusion is that of pickled ingrediants. I've had their onions and watermelon pickles on different tacos and while they are certainly no habanero, they do add a nice vinegar flavor to cut the protein and get a crunch.  At the same time, before 9am at Brazo's they are doing two for one breakfast tacos now which helps lower the costs for that, and they just expanded to 7pm dinner hours during the week.

The Farm and Red Hill "Nuclear" Salsa is my go to hot salsa made in the area. For a spicy meal, the "Hell" sandwich at Barbeque Exchange is amazing. Anyone who can complete that has my respect.

#155 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

Going down this weekend to visit the in laws and go to wineries with friends.  One of the friends is vegetarian plus no eggs.  I am trying to figure out if it is easier to cook in or to find someplace she will be able to eat, thoughts?

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#156 tentimesodds

tentimesodds

Supercentenarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:18 PM

Going down this weekend to visit the in laws and go to wineries with friends.  One of the friends is vegetarian plus no eggs.  I am trying to figure out if it is easier to cook in or to find someplace she will be able to eat, thoughts?

This link is about 2 years old, so check to see if a particular place still exists (or I can tell you), but here's a start: http://iyfoods.com/b...charlottesville

#157 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

This link is about 2 years old, so check to see if a particular place still exists (or I can tell you), but here's a start: http://iyfoods.com/b...charlottesville

That's great!  Thank you.  I saw Orzo had some good options, I know Zinburger has a good veggie burger and I think she eats dried pasta that doesn't have eggs, and pizza, so thought Spring Fry Station and a few others might be an option too.  Her husband is a huge meat eater, so it's always funny going the places with the two.

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#158 tentimesodds

tentimesodds

Supercentenarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:24 PM

That's great!  Thank you.  I saw Orzo had some good options, I know Zinburger has a good veggie burger and I think she eats dried pasta that doesn't have eggs, and pizza, so thought Spring Fry Station and a few others might be an option too.  Her husband is a huge meat eater, so it's always funny going the places with the two.

No problem! I've only been to Zinburger of those 3 but can help recommend/raise red flags if you have other ideas.  I thought Zinburger was so-so (for a beef burger, no veggie burgers for me) but that was mainly the prices and fries...

#159 lizzie

lizzie

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

There is a Peter Chang's on Barracks Road - the tofu and bok choy dish is quite good and enough for a small army. Lots of other vegetarian options there as well. My vegetarian daughter has also always found something she liked at The Local. Lunch to go from Feast also has non-meat sandwiches.

• ktmoomau likes this

"The Hooters franchise chain has enjoyed success in introducing western culture and food around the globe."
Hooters of America, May 2002

#160 pcollins

pcollins

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

Went to the new Timbercreek Market yesterday for lunch. Nice selection of meats and Flora's cheese shop inside. Lunch options were fairly limited. A specials board of two sandwiches (and they were out of one of them at 1pm) and then four everyday sandwiches. My coworker had been planning to try their "Steak on a Plate" option where you buy a steak at the butcher counter and then pay $10 to have them cook it up for you, but decided against it while we were at the store since he was afraid it would put him to sleep. Further investigation will be pursued at dinnertime one of these evenings. 

Both the Chicken sandwich and the Cheesesteak were on Albemarle Baking Company bread and had a pretty hefty amount of fat on them before being toasted. This was not a low-cal option. The cheesesteak had slices of steak, a variety of local mushrooms, peppers and provolone cheese. While it wouldn't satisfy a Philly Cheesesteak purist or that strange beast that is the Washington DC Cheesesteak, I found the sandwhich to be flavorful and highlighted the local beef well. The chicken sandwich was also a winner, with a welcome crunch added with some radish and pickle.

The only sadness was that the portion size was not abundant. I hesitate to call it small, but I could have certainly eaten another sandwich (and probably would have felt like a glutton doing so). I'd recommend this as a lunch stop with only that caveat.

#161 johnl

johnl

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:25 AM

Went to the new Timbercreek Market yesterday for lunch. Nice selection of meats and Flora's cheese shop inside. Lunch options were fairly limited. A specials board of two sandwiches (and they were out of one of them at 1pm) and then four everyday sandwiches. ...

Thanks for the report. I've not stopped there yet. Would it be accurate to say Timbercreek Market's emphasis is on its retail and not the food service, much like Feast?

It'll be interesting to see how things develop in the "center" as other shops move into it, though I suppose there probably won't be more eateries. 

#162 pcollins

pcollins

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:44 AM

There is another eatery planned there. There is a plan for a September launch of Kardinal, which is the newest project by the owners of the successful Beer Run.

I think that Timbercreek Market was attempting not to steal/compete with that business while still trying to get a niche in the area, as there is a lot of lunch traffic at Bodo's or Sticks across the street. Nobody else is trying the "take home your dinner" model that they eluded to on the site and I haven't seen in person yet.

Honestly it has taken me some time to get over there because my normal time downtown would be Saturday mornings while going to the market and I am usually long gone by the time they open their doors at 10am.

#163 Seanchai

Seanchai

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

There is another eatery planned there. There is a plan for a September launch of Kardinal, which is the newest project by the owners of the successful Beer Run.

I think that Timbercreek Market was attempting not to steal/compete with that business while still trying to get a niche in the area, as there is a lot of lunch traffic at Bodo's or Sticks across the street. Nobody else is trying the "take home your dinner" model that they eluded to on the site and I haven't seen in person yet.

Honestly it has taken me some time to get over there because my normal time downtown would be Saturday mornings while going to the market and I am usually long gone by the time they open their doors at 10am.

Ironically, it appears that Timbercreek's main competition is JM Stock, who once trumpeted the fact that they carried local meats from ... Timbercreek Farm.  Based on a small sample size, I would say the quality of retail meats and local food products is currently higher at JM Stock as is the service.  However, right now Timbercreek is signficantly less expensive than JM Stock while carrying comparable items.  Hopefully this means that in the near to mid future JM Stock will lower their prioces rather than Timbercreek raising theirs.

#164 johnl

johnl

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:51 AM

Parallel 38 in C'ville this past weekend was a bit uneven. A tomato-based vegetable soup was rather thin and plain. Artichokes seemed like they might have come from a can. Cheese board was uninspiring; perhaps we chose the wrong ones. However, I liked the citrus potatoes, the grilled asparagus, spicy shrimp, and the tuna tartar. 

We were a 4-top and sat inside near the back, close to the kitchen. 

#165 pcollins

pcollins

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:49 AM

I wasn't blown away by their cheese plate either. They had some fairly tame options on there (Ricotta? Why?), but their meat options to go with it had a welcome surprise of a salt cured trout available. My go to option from Parallel 38 has been their spreads with fresh pita bread and their desserts. The olive oil cake in particular was worth coming back for.

Good to know on the rest of the menu. I've never been by for anything other than wine, spreads, dessert, charcuterie and cheese.

• johnl likes this

#166 tentimesodds

tentimesodds

Supercentenarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:43 AM

Ironically, it appears that Timbercreek's main competition is JM Stock, who once trumpeted the fact that they carried local meats from ... Timbercreek Farm.  Based on a small sample size, I would say the quality of retail meats and local food products is currently higher at JM Stock as is the service.  However, right now Timbercreek is signficantly less expensive than JM Stock while carrying comparable items.  Hopefully this means that in the near to mid future JM Stock will lower their prioces rather than Timbercreek raising theirs.

JM Stock is insanely expensive.  Mind bogglingly expensive. And I don't get why they have that huge space when most of it is just empty floor.

• Seanchai likes this

#167 johnl

johnl

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

I wasn't blown away by their cheese plate either. They had some fairly tame options on there (Ricotta? Why?), but their meat options to go with it had a welcome surprise of a salt cured trout available. 

I'll hit the trout next time. My dining partners had the prosciutto or the salchichon as the meat on that board and I notices it disappeared pretty quickly. (We got 3&1, as I recall.)

Yes, they are better with the spreads and dips. 

We had a nice Sancere.

#168 Seanchai

Seanchai

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:20 PM

JM Stock is insanely expensive.  Mind bogglingly expensive. And I don't get why they have that huge space when most of it is just empty floor.

The first time I bought a 6 pound pork shoulder for smoking from them I was in a state of shock.  $60 plus for a freakin pork shoulder with a generous fat cap?! 

I want to support local products/businesses but damn ...

#169 pcollins

pcollins

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:45 PM

It's been getting hot out again, so here's a discussion topic. What are folks favorites for Ice Cream?

Splendora's is unique for gelato, but there's a place in my heart for some ice cream on a hot day. There's a few ice cream places in and around Charlottesville and a few creameries outside town which sell product you can find in stores. Three options that come to my mind:

- Moo Thru in Remington. Yes, this isn't in Charlottesville, but it's still one of the better options in the area

- Homestead Creamery. Their location is down in Wirtz, but you can find their ice cream in Kroger if nowhere else. I'm a huge fan of their lemon ice cream served with fresh berries.

- Kirt's. Location on 29N next to a Little Caesars isn't attractive, but they have some great flavors made right in the store. They also supply the ice cream for the Carpe Donut ice cream sandwiches and can be found at Whole Foods.

• johnl likes this

#170 johnl

johnl

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

Splendora's is unique for gelato, but there's a place in my heart for some ice cream on a hot day. There's a few ice cream places in and around Charlottesville and a few creameries outside town which sell product you can find in stores. Three options that come to my mind:

- Moo Thru in Remington. Yes, this isn't in Charlottesville, but it's still one of the better options in the area

- Homestead Creamery. Their location is down in Wirtz, but you can find their ice cream in Kroger if nowhere else. I'm a huge fan of their lemon ice cream served with fresh berries.

- Kirt's. Location on 29N next to a Little Caesars isn't attractive, but they have some great flavors made right in the store. They also supply the ice cream for the Carpe Donut ice cream sandwiches and can be found at Whole Foods.

Splendora: Yes, I get dragged there regularly, often when I've already eaten too much. When I do have something, it's very good. I want more. Triple dip. 

I don't know, pollens, about Homestead or Kirt's. I'll have to take lessons. Thanks for the tips. 

I will have to admit to having a soft spot in my heart (gullet? stomach?) for Chaps. Although they are now only on the DT Mall (right?), in the 70s-80s there was an incarnation in Shoppers World on 29N within a block of our house. We went there often. The 'cream was good and they did something I remembered from my childhood in Manassas: I could request a sprinkle of malt atop my scoops. Yum. 

#171 pcollins

pcollins

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

Without diving too deeply off the topic, I can heartily agree with you on the importance of malt powder as part of the experience. While a chain, the folks at the Tastee Freeze outside of Madison or Gordonsville can give you a generous serving to go with your shake or cone without too much difficulty.

I've never really done Chaps and that's part of the reason that I made this post. I'm hoping for more out there than what I've tried.

#172 tentimesodds

tentimesodds

Supercentenarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:33 AM

The first time I bought a 6 pound pork shoulder for smoking from them I was in a state of shock.  $60 plus for a freakin pork shoulder with a generous fat cap?! 

I want to support local products/businesses but damn ...

I am new to grilling/smoking, but my experience went something like this:

"Do you have any flank or skirt steak? I want to make fajitas."

"All out of those, but we have a nice bavette that would work well for that purpose.  It's $23.99 a pound."

I googled it when I got home, feeling swindled.  24 bucks a pound for flap meat? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users