153 replies to this topic

#151 johnl

johnl

Rhombicuboctahedron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

Pretty new place on The Corner (or just off it, depending on how pure you are): Roots Natural Kitchen. As one can surmise from the name, it's predicated on healthy stuff. Given the location, it's catering to students (and faculty members, such as I). The prices are good. Parking is the usual Corner hassle (though not so bad during these summer months—and take the trolley!).

I've only been once. The food was O.K. I had a standard dish ("Mad Bowl," which is a bit of inside joke) and my date created a custom bowl. You can design the order, which is probably the way to go. More tests will follow. The concept could work out well, as the paths toward different cuisine-flavors get refined. 

Just east of the railroad underpass on University, almost across from the George Rodgers Clark statue. 

#152 johnl

johnl

Rhombicuboctahedron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:23 PM

I can recommend one that only appears on their specials board called the For the Win. You have tortilla options, but if you're not going for corn I'm not sure if we can be friends.

The salsa/hot sauce selection was a bit mild for my tastes, sadly.

When I remember, I take my own salsa to any place. Those at commercial places are almost alwaysl too wimpy, but they have to cater to the public, of course. IF folks use habaneros, they are in low single-digit %s. I like 'em as a major player in my salsas.

By the way, check out "Mad Hatter" as a bottled local salsa available in various places around C'ville.

#153 johnl

johnl

Rhombicuboctahedron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:33 PM

The Harrisonburg, VA, affiliate of NPR ran a story about truffle farming in central Virginia that I thought some folks might find interesting. 

For thousands of years Black Perigord truffles have been the purview of European cuisine, specifically of France and Spain. But a perfect storm of enthusiasm, demand, and production could soon make Virginia a source for truffle production.  WMRA’s Amy Loeffler has the story.

#154 pcollins

pcollins

Dime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted Today, 12:40 PM

Agreed that the salsas at Brazo's fall into the wimpy camp. Their hottest is jalapenos only. Instead of major heat, the interesting inclusion is that of pickled ingrediants. I've had their onions and watermelon pickles on different tacos and while they are certainly no habanero, they do add a nice vinegar flavor to cut the protein and get a crunch.  At the same time, before 9am at Brazo's they are doing two for one breakfast tacos now which helps lower the costs for that, and they just expanded to 7pm dinner hours during the week.

The Farm and Red Hill "Nuclear" Salsa is my go to hot salsa made in the area. For a spicy meal, the "Hell" sandwich at Barbeque Exchange is amazing. Anyone who can complete that has my respect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users