Ray's Hell-Burger - Great Hamburgers at City Vista - Closed

I'll know by whether Don let's this thread stand or not whether there is interest here in further updates on this project as they occur--and if not, well then, see you soon on K!

Well! This is certainly exciting to me, too! Can you tell us just what part of K Street you are talking about? NW? NE? Near the Convention Center? Georgetown? What?

ETA: Just notice the City Vista part. Are you going to be next to Ferhat's fish joint???

Hoo boy, having worked in the commercial RE world in DC that excuse for delay makes me cringe.  Not knowing that one is supposed to get permits for a 12 story exhaust duct in a city w/ endless permits and inspections;   ooooof....not knowing.  hard to believe.   I worked through some occasional big problems w/ construction.   Somebody(s) messed up big time somewhere down the chain.  Moreover if they were thinking restaurant on the first floor with a 12 story duct....somebody is giving you the ole' buffalo shuffle.

Oh well.   Good luck.  My antiquated knowledge of zoning suggests that 12 stories has to be located somewhere centralish in the downtown city and K street as opposed to Georgetownish or nearer Capitol Hill but zoning laws and trading air rights and newer rules I know nothing about and stuff like that could suggest more location possibilities.

Where is this new restaurant to be?   And good luck.   and btw:  whatever menu you are considering a top quality protected duct of that nature should accommodate the big and greasy popular samwhich.

I suspect that would be popular whatever the menu.   ;)

Rather than building a twelve-story duct, couldn't they just vent the exhaust into a nearby law firm?

that is a great reference.  In a different journal it generated these limericks and a strong challenge to the big firm's legal attack:

Jul 23, 2010 10:43 AM CDT

I believe this calls for limericks.

Odiferous fumes from defendant were oozing

and caused, said the plaintiff, our snoozing!

But having won an injunction

wondered head partner, at luncheon

Have we any other excuses for losing?

GULC-2L

Jul 23, 2010 1:42 PM CDT

I get distracted when I smell burgers before lunch too.

BMF

Jul 25, 2010 10:02 PM CDT

Due to air intake congestion

the firm was faced with the question:

If associates can't function

should we seek an injunction

before fumes stimulate their digestion?

BIG E

Jul 30, 2010 10:53 AM CDT

Times must be really tough for the warriors at Steptoe when you have to sue to get a free lunch!  As a former Steptoe lawyer, I am deeply upset by my former partners' obsession with what goes on between the buns!  I am considering lending a hand to the burger dude on a pro bono basis to both satisfy pro bono requirements in the city and to stand for the proposition that hamburgers must be safe everywhere!  To me this all bull-lips and we should all go back to work on constitutional matters, representing those in need of a voice in Court, and to defending the rights we so dearly enjoy!  There is no right to a free lunch Steptoe!  Perhaps this is just another hotdog grandstanding execercise by the egos that walk the halls of Steptoe & Johnson!  I say try the crabcakes at the Palm instead!

• Like 1

Great news! (Well, for me at least...):

We can finally move forward and complete the long-stalled project on K Street--which some of you may or may not have been aware of--which has been in a weird sort of limbo for some time now.

You see, back in November/December 2012 we were about 90% done with the project--everything but the cosmetics and furniture and cooking equipment pretty much--when during our inspections for the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing phase of the construction (the heavy-lifting, heavy-duty infrastructure stuff) it was discovered the landlord had not obtained permits or inspections for the construction of the twelve story Fire-Smoke-and Grease Safety-Rated Duct which runs through the residential complex above us. This had the unfortunate consequence, unintended, I am sure, of rendering our work un-inspectable and un-finishable.

On the subject of potential consequences, however, I can assure you that this was nowhere near the first of my concerns...

I think, if I remembered or understood their explanation correctly (although I am no legal expert), it turns out they either forgot to check if permits were required before they built it or didn't think they were so went ahead and built it without them. An innocent mistake, I am sure, if it can even be called a mistake at all.

In any case, that prevented our completed work at that stage from even being inspected (as I mentioned above), let alone approved, which made any further work on our end either impossible or unfeasible to the point of impossibility.

The great news is that just recently, they have generously agreed to install a vertical duct which meets all the code and engineering requirements and specifications, after which in no time flat we should be able to knock out all the finish and decor work--and best of all, with no threat or danger to the residents above!!!

Another big plus for me, is that all of that construction was paid for in advance, in cash, and oodles of money to the landlord too in leasehold costs that did not foresee this pas de folie a deux--over a half a million dollars all told, just rotting away in the meantime, which can now finally be put to productive use.

I wish I could say more about the final concept, ...errr, menu, but until I know what volume the engineering specs of the built-out duct will allow, code-wise, I can not commit to an exact concept, ...errr, menu.

I'll know by whether Don let's this thread stand or not whether there is interest here in further updates on this project as they occur--and if not, well then, see you soon on K!

Hey Michael,

Any updates on the City Vista project?

Some news, but no additional details:

Source: PoPville

IMG_3058.jpg

Image: PoPville

PoPville has an update on Another Ray's Joint, the new restaurant from Ray's the Steaks' Michael Landrum, which is coming to 451 K Street, NW, next to Mandu in Mount Vernon Square's City Vista. PoPville's photos show that kitchen equipment has been delivered. However, there's no word yet on an opening date.

Read full article >>

Get all the news at DCDiningGuide.com >>

I walked by this space yesterday on my way to the gym and all signs point to Ray's not happening. That yellow sign in the window from the image above had been removed for at least a a few weeks now, which had me worried. New signage confirmed my fears as the permits indicate that Mind Your Body Oasis, a yoga/pilates studio and spa, is opening in that space. What a shame. I was really looking forward to Ray's opening in the neighborhood. 

Washingtonian article about the return of Ray's Hell Burgers to the Rays to the Third location.

The last time I was at Ray's To The Third - which was just last December - I ordered a Hell Burger. What exactly is new?

Are the steaks gone entirely, and it's now only counter service with Hell Burgers? Is the name "Ray's To The Third" retired?

So if I gather this correctly, the restaurant is now called "Ray's Hell Burger," and it's quick-serve ordering with delivery to the table?

• Like 1

First and foremost on a very recent visit the hell burger was tasty, flavorful and scrumptious.  No change.  Still top of the line. Has it changed, now without waiter service? I'm sorry to say I was totally oblivious but in retrospect it must have. As I entered there was a longish line in front of the counter.  Its not something I had seen before.  My mind was preoccupied. During previous visits I knew beforehand whether I was there for a sit down dinner or counter service. In all those visits I'd never noticed the counter line that busy.  This past week it was. Being alone and having predetermined that a hell burger was on the agenda I looked askance at the line. Even a momentary wait was not on my agenda.

With someone in front of me taking there time they told me to step ahead of them.  The fonts on the wall sign had changed, my glasses were foggy, I didn't have a menu at hand but simply quickly ordered a hell burger, cooked medium, sans topping excepting for cheese and a shake.  My mind was elsewhere.

I migrated to the counter side of the restaurant.  Had it changed?  Unfortunately I'm not the one with an authenticated on site report.  My body was at Ray's and my mind was elsewhere.

But it might well have.  In the back of my mind and through side glances I noticed what was probably an unusually large number of people ordering at the counter.  Additionally the counter was double staffed with two active people both with "uniformed shirts", not something I had seen before.

Regardless; the good news is that the hell burger was excellent.  Still a first rate burger.

• Like 1

As of Sunday, still has a Rays to the Third sign...I've been meaning to go in, but I'm worried about running into DaveO, knocking him over when he can't see me to due to fogged up glasses, and getting sued! :-) :-)

Hopefully we'll avoid that dance step.  When there last the chalk boards outside said Ray's Hell Burger, and there was a pennant on the wall with Hell Burger on it, both naming devices that don't take much time or coordination.  Outside on the awning it still had the Ray's to the third sign, but that takes coordination, planning and hiring outside sources; something that might not have been arranged yet.

The important point was that the Hell Burger I had was still excellent and worthy of a President imho.  Its a noteworthy place.  I expect to have an Elvis sighting next time I arrive (with or without fogged glasses)  ;)

I have never been so happy to be so wrong! Snapped this picture over the weekend. Apologies for the poor picture quality.

post-10901-0-02802300-1418141678_thumb.j

ETA: Well, I am hoping I am wrong at least. Could be leftover stuff that hasn't been cleared out yet. But I am really really really hopeful that this is a sign of progress.

The steak and cheese is STILL an award winning sandwich.   Sweet potato fries, crispy and uniquely tasty.

But something is brewing at this location.  Construction is going on, splitting the space into 2 distinct entities.  It would seem the Hell Burger location will again split its persona with burgers and sandwiches on one side, and steaks  and wait service on the other side.

More to be revealed...............................

Last week I heard that construction at Ray's Hell burger had been completed and a somewhat new menu was on board.  And there are changes, including a "different space" and an expanded menu.

Different signage isn't yet up but the new space houses Ray's Hell Burger on the right, with counter service its traditional (I assume) menu of burgers, sandwiches, fries, etc its vegetarian sandwiches...plus one of those nifty coke machines with options for many different flavors.

On the left though, there is now table service in a new establishment named The Inner Circle.  Aha...change again.  There is an expanded menu and I opted for one of the new dishes I had heard about 1 week ago.   The Inner Circle offers everything on the Hell Burger menu plus wines by the glass and bottle and beers (bottled).  There are soups, salads, including salads with salmon or shrimp, 3 variations on  what I believe is an 8 oz top sirloin steak, each coming with a different topping and all priced in the teens plus at least two different new mains:  One a pork chop and one a chicken fried steak variation.  Having been told of the chicken fried steak I went with it.  Its an ample portion;  a rather large piece of chicken with a traditional type chicken fried topping.  It sits a top more pieces of chicken, 3 sizable dumplings and in a slight portion of a corn soup.   Hmmmm...quite good and VERY AMPLE.   I added a side of corn on the cob which comes with wedges of lemon, a wonderful refreshing addition to the corn, and one of Ray's really excellent, incredibly filling and tasty shakes.  All of the sides are either $2 or $3, a very good price.

An enjoyable meal.  My server, Jeffrey was accommodating, funny, and encouraging plus he knew the menu inside and out.

The new variation of Hell Burger offers all the old favorites plus a new expanded menu.  Its as casual and comfortable as ever.  Seating is amply spaced, so its quite comfortable.

Now a bit of an old timers perspective.  For about a decade roughly from the mid 80's to the mid 90's I probably ate at every steak house in the DC and Tysons; I'm sure over 90% of the time it was a corporate CC meal with a client.  While I spread it around I was at some places enough to be recognized by staff.

I can't tell the difference among quality steaks.  I can't.  If you had asked me the difference between a similar cut steak at the Prime Rib, Morton's or the Palm I'd sputter.

So I've enjoyed Ray's the Steaks, with its casualness and better pricing.  Same great food, better prices which equals better value.  Now Hell Burger offers a small version steak a wee bit down the road from Ray's, at an excellent price, plus casualness.  Nice move in my book.   Give it a try.

• Like 1

The City Vista location was giving away free chicken sandwiches the night before they officially opened.  One was brought to me and overall it was a better than your standard Chick-fil-A sandwich.  Pretty sure it was the "Monster" and not the "Angry". Big, juicy white meat, lightly breaded and fried. Pickles and a nice little green sauce - not sure exactly what the sauce was.  Thought the bun was too big and didn't have a lot of added flavor.

Also walked by on Saturday around 4 PM and it was busy, but not crowded. Unfortunately, it is next door to my gym.  I'm afraid that I may be "rewarding" myself post-workout pretty often...

• Like 3

I picked up an order for MichaelBDC and myself yesterday evening. The set up is still pretty bare bones and there were a few to-go orders, but only one person was actually eating in the establishment. No alcohol yet but a few bottled sodas were available.

MichaelBDC had a single patty of The Mack while I had a single patty of B.I.G. Poppa, both ordered medium rare. We also split a side order of tater tots. While I did not ask or have a bite, MichaelBDC seemed to like his burger. The B.I.G. Poppa was cooked medium rare and was quite juicy. The bottom bun didn't hold up very well, but it wasn't terrible. I enjoyed the peppercorn crust on the burger as well as the bleu cheese, sauteed mushrooms, and grilled onions, though the peppercorn and bleu cheese were so strong I couldn't really taste the mushrooms and onions. I wish I had asked for lettuce and tomato to cut through the richness but overall I thought it was a solid burger and would order it again. The tater tots were standard tots. They came with a sauce that tasted of mayo, ketchup, and horseradish which I liked.

Looking forward to more trips to this place to get my burger fix.

• Like 3

Surprised to see this thread [Ray's City Vista] still quiet and listed as "not opening".

Ray's Hellburger at this spot opened back in October 2015. I've been a handful of times since.

The burgers have been as good as I remember from way back in the early days at the original spot. And the chicken sandwich remains the best anywhere in the city.

The usual non-existent atmosphere. Still feels like a pop-up many months in.

Surprised to see this thread [Ray's City Vista] still quiet and listed as "not opening".

Ray's Hellburger at this spot opened back in October 2015. I've been a handful of times since.

The burgers have been as good as I remember from way back in the early days at the original spot. And the chicken sandwich remains the best anywhere in the city.

The usual non-existent atmosphere. Still feels like a pop-up many months in.

Is it called Ray's Hell-Burger, Ray's City Vista, or Ray's The Undead? And is the signage an actual sign, or something printed on a piece of paper?

This implies it's called Ray's Hell-Burger Too:

post-2-0-01479000-1455814446_thumb.png

So does this Tweet:

post-2-0-60348300-1455814171_thumb.png

Even the website implies it's a mini-chain:

post-2-0-64283100-1455815121_thumb.png

In which case, the proper thread for the restaurant is this one.

I should add that the last time I went to Ray's Hell-Burger, a plain large burger with bone marrow and a Diet Coke (no fries) set me back something like $27 including tax and tip.

I go to the gym on that block, and I must have passed by there over a dozen times before realizing Ray's was actually open.  It seems aggressively un-marked/advertised.  I can't remember any signage to speak of, and the inside looks quite bare.

These are definitely not Hell-Burgers, they are more modestly portioned.  

I should add that the last time I went to Ray's Hell-Burger, a plain large burger with bone marrow and a Diet Coke (no fries) set me back something like $27 including tax and tip.

About 2 years ago he switched from having 10 oz patties to offering burgers with either single or double 6 oz patties. And I think dropped the bone marrow option about the same time.

• Like 1

About 2 years ago he switched from having 10 oz patties to offering burgers with either single or double 6 oz patties. And I think dropped the bone marrow option about the same time.

It was actually Sep 30, 2015, and it was $28.59!

• Like 1

Having seen this question I've been curious to find out what gives!!!   Steak and cheese or not?   I hit up HellBurger Arlington last week and discoverd a "steak sandwich" with cheese on the board menu, but it was definitely not the big and cheesy (a sandwich i loved for its quality of steak, cheese, overall gloppyness (gloppy in a good way) and one I thought offered a combination of better meat and cheese than any cheesesteak or steak and cheese I had devoured.

Well the big and cheesy is no more...at least not now.  In its place are steak sandwiches.

Steak sandwiches with a meat filling that is not shaved or thin beef or roast beef.   These are sandwiches with tri tip cuts, with thickness.  A steak sandwich.  I haven't eaten one or seen one in decades.  I did a quick search in google for one in DC and all I could find were steak and cheese sandwiches and in some noted expense acct steak houses, roast beef au jus with thin cut roast beef.  (It admittedly wasn't a thorough search--they might be out there).  I checked restaurants and images.   Didn't find another one.

I had the variation with mushrooms, onions.  Quite tasty.   Tri tips are a pretty rare steak cut in my experience.  They are smallish cuts....and I recall being introduced to the cut in California years ago at a BBQ.   Tasty then and tasty at HellBurger.

The sandwich was $11 or $12 as I recall and while not huge was ample in size and reasonably filling.  Hey it was steak...not shaved meat.

I don't consider myself a big red meat eater but I do get to Ray's and HellBurger periodically.  I still find the quality excellent and the pricing terrific.  And frankly a thickish or semi thick steak sandwich is something I have neither had or seen in what seems like forever.  Its a nice change of pace and I found it scrumptious.

Meanwhile HellBurger is an ever changing entity.  Even as the layout and presentation has changed it keeps putting out great quality burgers and other items at what I consider great prices for the quality.

• Like 3

Just wanted to update this post, Ray's City Vista location is alive and kicking.  The decor is dark,sparse and menu is on poster board.  However, the food I've had has beeen delicious- the infamous burgers and a good crunchy fried chicken breast sandwich.  They also offer breakfast sandwiches- egg, cheese and chorizo and an avocado veggie version.

• Like 1

This was sent to me from a diner about a week ago, but I noticed the opening date, and didn't say a word. I have too much respect for Michael to believe this isn't an awesome joke.

Should have added Khlav Kalash, crab juice and Mountain Dew to the list of potential menu items.

KhlavKalashStand.jpg

RANT ON/ An April Fool's joke is usually not a practical joke because it does not involve something physical. I hate practical jokes, pranks, and comedians who are paid to do them. The victim can feel embarrassed, humiliated, or worse. I know the social norm is to go along with the joke, but I can not. Why is it acceptable in an office setting? In my experience, the "thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt" is crossed when the prankster derives more pleasure from his joke than the victim. /RANT OFF

This was sent to me from a diner about a week ago, but I noticed the opening date, and didn't say a word. I have too much respect for Michael to believe this isn't an awesome joke.

Could someone fill me in on what the joke would be?

Could someone fill me in on what the joke would be?

I thought "opening April 1st" was the joke, but as time passes, I'm beginning to wonder if the joke is that it actually *will* open April 1st! Now *that* would be classic Landrum - luring people into thinking it's an April Fool's joke, when the actual April Fool's joke is that it's not a joke.

He's doing this to get a separate thread. I know he is. :lol: Even if it happens, I'm going to wait at least a month - that, or when he gets a real sign installed instead of printing it on a piece of computer paper!

Michael Landrum is certainly not boring.

• Like 1

By chance I was at Hell Burger last night and I ran into the new subsection;  Tasty Dugout with this menu as referenced upthread.  Its REAL.  For a teeny bit of background there is this recent story from Arlnow on this Georgian restaurant in Arlington.  As always with Arlnow the comments are entertaining.

So contrary to suggestions upthread and in the Arlnow commentary this is not an April Fools joke but a real restaurant.  Further, per the Arlnow commentary there are Georgian restaurants and food types with tremendous popularity in various cities and it is a popular cuisine in Russia and the former Soviet Union.  None of which I knew.

Unbeknownst to me Michael Landrum was there serving and The Tasty Dugout was in "quiet" "soft opening" status. We know one another a little and speak from time to time.  I'm not claiming I KNOW him in a substantive way or have deep insights into his operations.  But having chanced at this place all alone I was also introduced to a variety of the foods and was comped.  Lucky me.

From the menu I had the Kharcho; also described in the menu as Lamb plov.   Landrum's version uses lamb rather than beef.  This was terrific.  I couldn't quite place it other than that it reminded me of grandma's old world heavily flavored pot roast, though far more soupy than meaty...and so rich in spicy flavorfulness.   I could have used a lot more soft bread to dunk through that wonderful stew.

From the "mains" I chose the Shakshookah, the version in this case being the "Nik-nook"  the classic version with pepperoni (of all things)....must have been my "Jersey roots"   .   I have no familiarity with this dish but its described here.  Also quite tasty.  I'll go through some of the other versions.  

These meals are very bread oriented and from the menu and suggested by another diner I went with what is categorized as a tea and vodka snack, in this case the " Real Ryes, Cream Cheese, Smoked Salmon, Red Onion, Dill".   Not being able to finish that they boxed it up and yes I had it for breakfast this morn.  yummmmm

and by the way....Landrum has brought in quite a few great breads.  On top of all that, olives, figs, dates, and for a finishing touch some old fashioned honey cake.  

I'm going back.  Try some of the other variations;  down some teas and vodka.  Might dance like a cossack if I have enough vodka.  Its a neat restaurant.  Worth a visit in my estimation.

• Like 5

Sounds very intriguing and I want to try it! But wait, it's in the little Hell Burger restaurant at Wilson and N. Quinn? How is there room? (I haven't been there in a long time, maybe it's expanded)

Also, you have to forgive anyone who looked at the menu online and thought it was an April Fool's joke:

"Inspired by my years in Onhava following the fall of the Soviet Union"”by day working to restore the House of Botkin to the Throne of Zembla"¦and by night hunting the sea-marshes for the rare Crepuscular Bog Orchid, waiting for first dawn to pluck its prized fragrant dark bloom"”I proudly bring to you imaginative tastes from the Estoty and Tartary Cuisines of Zembla, as well as exotic ethnic flavors from its elusive 

Crypto-Hebraic minority. "

http://www.thetastydugout.com/menu.html

• Like 1