It wouldn't be a Cole née Schenone big fat Italian gorge fest without an injection of Fernet Branca afterwards, 'specially 'round the holidays.

It seems to be prohibited or otherwise unavailable for sale in VA, whereas you can't walk into a state liquor store where I grew up (outside Philly) without tripping over the stuff.

Anyone know if it's available anywhere near the district?

I believe I picked up my bottle at Ace Beverage.

It is tasty stuff!

My grandmother used to give it to my dad whenever he had a stomach ache or indigestion. I use it for the same thing (plus hangovers). Goes great with coffee or ice cream. Try a fernet + coke + a few scoops of vanilla.

Blech! FB is vile. There are plenty of amaros available that are actually delicious: Rammasotti, Averna, Monte Negro, Amaro Nonino, to name a few.

Second. What is in that stuff--pine tar and cod liver oil? On your advice a couple of Thanksgivings ago, I bought some Monte Negro for my visiting BIL, who likes Fernet Branca, and he thought it didn't taste medicinal enough. And we had Amaro Nonino at Citronelle, when we were there for my birthday dinner. That one has to be the most delicious amaro on the planet! The bartender at Corduroy made a "special " Manhattan with Carpano Antica Formula vermouth and Fernet Branca, which my husband ordered--I tasted it and thought that the FB absolutely ruined the drink. Feh.

Second. What is in that stuff--pine tar and cod liver oil? On your advice a couple of Thanksgivings ago, I bought some Monte Negro for my visiting BIL, who likes Fernet Branca, and he thought it didn't taste medicinal enough. And we had Amaro Nonino at Citronelle, when we were there for my birthday dinner. That one has to be the most delicious amaro on the planet! The bartender at Corduroy made a "special " Manhattan with Carpano Antica Formula vermouth and Fernet Branca, which my husband ordered--I tasted it and thought that the FB absolutely ruined the drink. Feh.

Monte Negro is sweeter then Fernet, almost liqueur-like. I really wouldn't compare the two. I've had some very nice amari at Dino's that were an education for me, but if you want a big, herbal, alcoholic kick, few things can replace Fernet, except perhaps Underberg. (ETA: The tariness against a somewhat minty background is what I like about it and is not present in the same way in other bitters.)

I agree with Dan that it's an excellent stomach calmer, which is usually the only reason I ever drink it.

Blech! FB is vile. There are plenty of amaros available that are actually delicious: Rammasotti, Averna, Monte Negro, Amaro Nonino, to name a few.

I guess I will add to the voices that agree with Mr. Slater. Vile does not begin to describe my feelings towards Fernet. Rammazotti is available at Virginia ABC stores (if not on the shelf the manager can order you a bottle).

but if you want a big, herbal, alcoholic kick, few things can replace Fernet, except perhaps Underberg.

I first had Underberg at a German restaurant in NYC, from the little bottles that come a dozen to a tin. I've found it invaluable since then for helping that "bloated" feeling after I've eaten too much.

999, from Lithuania, also helps with that.

What is in that stuff--pine tar and cod liver oil?

I think they also throw in a soupcon of burned car tires.

My brother ordered me one when we were in Spain, and it was so god awful I was sure it was an older sibling-younger sibling practical joke. Unfortunately, it wasn't. He and his restaurant buddies are all addicted to the crap.

My brother ordered me one when we were in Spain, and it was so god awful I was sure it was an older sibling-younger sibling practical joke. Unfortunately, it wasn't. He and his restaurant buddies are all addicted to the crap.

I think it may be a somewhat older manifestation of the behavior of some little boys who love to prove their toughness to other kids by eating super sour candies or super spicy hot sauce, or publicly eating dirt or worms or downing odd combinations of foods, like oatmeal cookies and mustard, so that little girls will scream, "Eeewww! Gross!!"

Fernet Branca smells foul, tastes bitter and vile. Just the thing to flaunt your machismo, if you need to.

Fernet Branca smells foul, tastes bitter and vile. Just the thing to flaunt your machismo, if you need to.

Offal does a great job of that for me, with the bonus of being something I really enjoy (well as long as the said item is prepared correctly).

The four best chefs in the world never wrote any cookbooks. They are Hunger, The Great Outdoors, Free Food, and Memory/Nostalgia. A glass of boxed wine that reminds you of the time you stayed up all night in college getting to know a girl you just met until the sun comes up while the world parties around you can taste better than the greatest French vintage.

That's why, if I want to enjoy something up here (points to brain), I'll listen to a world class, James Beard-winning sommelier. If I want to enjoy something in here (points to heart), I'll drink what grandma tells me to drink. :lol:

Now, if I had a way to go back in time to college and take my wife somewhere on our first date a bit classier than the Bertucci's at 2000 Penn, then my brain and heart would be titillated by the same stimuli. That would be sweet.

That's how I react when I see bimbos flaunt their femininity by drinking cosmos and appletinis. Though I suppose some people just like the taste.

Bimbos are bimbos, they aren't yet real women, who are truly feminine. Just like glorified frat boys aren't real men, nor are they truly masculine.

Real women drink gin, rye and bourbon.

I have a shipment of "miracle berry" tablets that should arrive today. These are the berries that make sour or bitter things taste sweet.

I plan on doing some taste testing on Fernet Branca and Campari after trying one. :lol:

(and still, I do like Fernet Branca - just not straight. I've been meaning to try it with Coke as per the Argentina episode of Three Sheets...)

It's definitely an acquired taste (one that I occasionally enjoy) and I was happy to discover that they serve it at Marvin on U St.

I am glad they serve it @ DB Brasserie in LV. as it was must tonight after an extensive evening of watching shows off the veranda w/ Jobard Meursault 'En la barre', 82 beychevelle, & 83 lynch bages (highlight), not boasting, just stating how well FB makes you feel normal again.... almost :lol:

I was surprised to see a bottle of Fernet Branca on the shelf at my local liquor pharmacy, a.k.a. VA ABC store this evening. I was informed they began stocking it about a month ago.

Trivia: According to The Atlantic, in 1960, Betsy von Furstenberg was suspended from Actors’ Equity for spiking Tony Randall’s onstage drink with it. Randall believed he had been poisoned with iodine.

Easy mistake. Iodine goes great with ginger ale.

And it tastes better than Fernet Branca!

A Question to Ponder: Fernet Branca, a powerfully bitter beverage or industrial waste?

Luxardo make a Fernet which I really like, so if you fall intot he latter camp, you may want to seek it out!

If you're looking for some very funny reading, you should probably check out James Hamilton-Paterson's "Gerald Samper" novels, of which "Cooking with Fernet Branca" was the first, followed by "Amazing Disgrace" and "Rancid Pansies". Among the few comic novels that have had me laughing out loud. I hope he writes another.

Fernet Branca - this stuff is like crack.  It's like Jagermeister without the syrup.  Liquid 'ludes.  Over ice with a tiny splash of creme de menthe.  Complete shutoff of the frontal lobe.  A little splash of absinthe, even more so.

Especially on an empty stomach.  Wheee!

• Like 1

If you're looking for some very funny reading, you should probably check out James Hamilton-Paterson's "Gerald Samper" novels, of which "Cooking with Fernet Branca" was the first, followed by "Amazing Disgrace" and "Rancid Pansies". Among the few comic novels that have had me laughing out loud. I hope he writes another.

Absolutely fantastic.

Someone introduced me to Fernet and Makers a couple weekends ago.  Great stuff.  fernet is evidently to this generation of restaurant workers what Grand Marnier was to mine.  A restaurant owner once told me he can't stock the stuff because they will sell like 2 and a whole case will be gone.

Absolutely fantastic.

Someone introduced me to Fernet and Makers a couple weekends ago.  Great stuff.  fernet is evidently to this generation of restaurant workers what Grand Marnier was to mine.  A restaurant owner once told me he can't stock the stuff because they will sell like 2 and a whole case will be gone.

When I started in this business, if you had one bottle of Fernet Branca on the bar, it was a 10 year supply. "Don't forget to dust off the Fernet"

Here in Chicago, Letherbee has rolled out a Fernet and a Malort that are both superior to the more common varieties and are definitely worth checking out if you have the ability... not that making a better product than Jeppson's is really a high task.

I loved 'Cooking With...'!!

Oh and I love Fernet Branca. <urp>

If you like it with creme de menthe, have you tried Branca Menta or the Leopold's Fernet? The latter is so minty it tastes like chewing gum...

We just picked up the Leopold's Fernet and it doesn't seem at all overly minty. We like it quite a bit.