Hana Market - Small Japanese Market on 17th and U Street near Meridian Hill

chiclet

I just popped into a small Japanese market just opened up on the corner of 17th and U street. It's a tiny, neat space with dry goods on metro shelving and some refrigerated and frozen items. The man who was working today says they have been open for about a week.

Is this the only Japanese market in DC?

Hana Market
2000 17th Street NW
202-939-8854

Is this the only Japanese market in DC?

Hana Market
2000 17th Street NW
202-939-8854

I've certainly not seen another, but I don't get out much. Thus, I only noticed this shop now, a month later. This is an adorable shop, and only a few blocks away from where I live. There is a whole glowing shelf of pocky! I was in a hurry, but I still managed to quickly fill my arms with stuff to bring home, and am plotting my next visit.

I have a thing for noodles, you see, and now that sushi taro is going upscale I doubt I'm going to get my ramen or udon there once they re-open.

Please visit this market! I want them to succeed very badly. (Although on yelp, someone did point out that while opening a store in a recession is not a great idea, they are selling *ramen*, which should sustain us through lean times.)

Spices, seasonings, pastes, seaweed, tofu, fish, sauces, noodles, buns, icce cream, mochi, cookies, drinks, and much more.

I've certainly not seen another, but I don't get out much. Thus, I only noticed this shop now, a month later. This is an adorable shop, and only a few blocks away from where I live. There is a whole glowing shelf of pocky! I was in a hurry, but I still managed to quickly fill my arms with stuff to bring home, and am plotting my next visit.

I have a thing for noodles, you see, and now that sushi taro is going upscale I doubt I'm going to get my ramen or udon there once they re-open.

Please visit this market! I want them to succeed very badly. (Although on yelp, someone did point out that while opening a store in a recession is not a great idea, they are selling *ramen*, which should sustain us through lean times.)

Spices, seasonings, pastes, seaweed, tofu, fish, sauces, noodles, buns, icce cream, mochi, cookies, drinks, and much more.

How about hatcho miso?

How about hatcho miso?

There were about 10 or more different types of miso; I'm afraid that I know nothing about miso so the dizzying array was somewhat overwhelming. The owner patiently attempted to describe the differences between them, and I ended up with a red aji dashi miso from marukome, since I wanted it for soup base.

I'd suggest calling and asking if they have what you want, unless you're close enough to just wander in and browse. It's definitely worth the browse, I swear!

I was there recently and tried to find hatcho miso, no dice. Lots of good frozen fish (sanma for grilling, aji boshi). I'm going back with a Zip car and a cooler to stock up. I wanted hon mirin, but the owner explained that they can't sell hon mirin without a liquor license. (American liquor laws are so annoying.) He understood when I said I didn't want the treacly sweet stuff and recommended a "mirin taipu" by Morita that he said tried to be as close to the real thing as possible (made with rice koji). Actually not bad stuff.

Strange lack of Japanese rice (lots of good quality Californian rice). Perhaps heavy on the snack food. Nice vegetable fridge (again, back with the Zip Car).

A tiny, but nice place. Easier for me than getting up to Maryland.

Hana market now has fresh sushi delivered to them tues-fri, I believe. Fresh vegetables are delivered weekly on Thursdays. Thursday is also the japanese bread delivery from a bakery in Chicago, I believe.

When I was in this morning, the sushi hadn't yet arrived, but I kept smelling something wonderful. And then I found it... spam musubi, at the checkout counter, $1.95 each. So tasty.

I can't believe they have been open for 5 years already. I love this place.

• Like 1

I can't believe they have been open for 5 years already. I love this place.

It is a great, little gem of a place in the heart of DC (it is tiny but packed well). I've been going since they opened - really nice selection of japanese goods at reasonable prices - especially compared to the overpiced, lesser quality stuff you find in your typical Asian food aisle at the grocery store.  Lately, my go items have been the instant dashi (it is such so quick ;-), par-boiled udon noodles, filled mochi cakes in the fridge, and the chocolate filled koala bear cookies from Lotte (one of my childhood favorites). The vegetables are very fresh and nicely priced too.  If you are cooking Japanese or want an authentic Japanese snack/junk food, this is the place in DC. Very nice staff too.

After many months (years even) of walking past Hana, last night I finally went inside.  What a great place.  If you like poking around ethnic grocery stores with shelves piled high with stuff that you have never seen before and have no idea how to use, Hana is a must visit.  This is a tiny place but they make use of every square inch.

I don't know much about Japanese cuisine so I can't really comment on what they have, but it looked like they have pretty much anything you would need.  I did notice in the back refrigerator case that they carry Thai basil and garlic chives (which you rarely see in the District) (and for that tip, you better save me some).

Next time I'm walking home from work, I'm stopping in again.  Who knows what interesting stuff I'll buy...I'll probably have no idea how to use, but I'll buy it anyway.

• Like 2

After many months (years even) of walking past Hana, last night I finally went inside.  What a great place.  If you like poking around ethnic grocery stores with shelves piled high with stuff that you have never seen before and have no idea how to use, Hana is a must visit.  This is a tiny place but they make use of every square inch.

I don't know much about Japanese cuisine so I can't really comment on what they have, but it looked like they have pretty much anything you would need.  I did notice in the back refrigerator case that they carry Thai basil and garlic chives (which you rarely see in the District) (and for that tip, you better save me some).

Next time I'm walking home from work, I'm stopping in again.  Who knows what interesting stuff I'll buy...I'll probably have no idea how to use, but I'll buy it anyway.

It is THE place to find Japanese dried noodles (soba, udon, etc.) for much lower prices than you will find elsewhere.  I'm  speaking here of local supermarkets and not the big Asian markets in the 'burbs (about which I know very little). I love the Japanese low-sodium soy sauce there and the variety of miso. I don't know enough about Japanese cuisine to venture into the freezers; but, I've always found the service to be very friendly and helpful.

Anyone know if there is still fresh wasabi available here?  I really got addicted to Japanese food, even more-so than before my trip to Japan, and would love to make soba noodles and other dishes with real wasabi like we had there.  

On 7/29/2016 at 8:03 AM, ktmoomau said:

Anyone know if there is still fresh wasabi available here?  I really got addicted to Japanese food, even more-so than before my trip to Japan, and would love to make soba noodles and other dishes with real wasabi like we had there.  

I think I read in another post you were going to stop by tomorrow - it may be worth a phone call first.

I have to give a shout out to Hana. This tiny, packed store is awesome if you need any ingredient to eat or cook Japanese food. I usually go about every other month or so and pick up a few things or if I'm nearby get a tasty onigiri riceball at the counter or crème-filled mocha treat. I recently received a great (and requested) gift of Morimoto's Mastering the Art of Japanese Home Cooking cookbook. I highly recommend this book - I've made about 6 different dishes and all were relatively easy and delicious. However, without a place like Hana, I'd be lost as the recipes rely on certain Japanese staple - some like soy are easy to find and others like Japanese chile bean sauce or umeboshi/salted "plum" apricots are not. I went there yesterday and seriously stocked up on ingredients. The place has gotten more popular, a wide selection and even better labeling in the last few years. The staff is always helpful if you are looking for something particular. For instance, I needed usukuchi - light soy sauce - and they pointed me right to it hiding among the other regular soy sauce bottles.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, ktmoomau said:

As a note- they did have wasabi a few months ago.  I should have followed up.

For non-staples like certain produce such as wasabi, it is always a good idea to call ahead because their inventory seems to vary. When I went a few days ago, there was no wasabi (although they have had it many times before), but they did have fresh lotus root which I haven't seen there before. Also, they have fresh yuzu fruit - but this time only a handful whereas a few months ago lots. On this recent trip, they were unloading a big shipment of super fresh bok choy, which was great in my yasai vegetable stir fry from the Morimoto cookbook.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, Rhone1998 said:

There's a worryingly vague sign outside the door that just says they're temporarily closed. No reopen date listed. I hope this isn't the end for them. 

I went by recently and saw they were closed too. They had a Dept. of Health notice on their door.  According to the Post - it is for operating without a license. Hopefully, they'll get the missing license and reopen soon.