Goose

Sthitch

I found a topic for goose breast, but nothing on how to cook an entire goose. I am making two different birds for thanksgiving, a heritage turkey, and a goose. I have the former covered, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas for the goose. Because of limited oven space one of the birds has to be cooked on a grill and a slow rotisserie seems like the best option for one of them. I might stuff it with some fruit hoping that the juice will find its way into the meat as it slowly turns. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My experience cooking two geese for xmas years ago can be summed up thusly:

1. It takes forever for them to come to temperature.

2. A 55-gallon drum to catch the grease would not have gone unused.

3. A cousin brought his new Russian spouse and her daughter to dinner, and they got to participate in a drunken rendition of "12 Days of Xmas" because everyone got drunk waiting for the geese to cook. :lol:

My Thanksgiving goose was cooked on a grill mounted rotisserie and finished in about 3 hours. I had stuffed it with some fresh fruit (apples, oranges, cranberries, and pears), and then when it was done, I emptied the cavity into a pot added a bit more orange juice to produce a wonderfully flavorful compote. The members of my family that generally go for dark meat (including me), love the goose, those that prefer white meat, not so much. It was a fun experiment, and I hope to make another one in the near future.

My Thanksgiving goose was cooked on a grill mounted rotisserie and finished in about 3 hours. I had stuffed it with some fresh fruit (apples, oranges, cranberries, and pears), and then when it was done, I emptied the cavity into a pot added a bit more orange juice to produce a wonderfully flavorful compote. The members of my family that generally go for dark meat (including me), love the goose, those that prefer white meat, not so much. It was a fun experiment, and I hope to make another one in the near future.

If you have any leftovers they make a tasty curried soup or stew using (heaven forbid!) plain old McCormick's curry powder. I imagine it would be even better with a Jamican curry or some Garam Masala and turmeric.

Can anyone recommend a source for geese in the area? Wegman's near me has a ton, but the thing is that they've had a ton forever, so I can't really speak to the quality.

Also, they're very expensive. Like $100 for a goose. That seems like they're gouging the foodie crowd.

Any recs?

Can anyone recommend a source for geese in the area? Wegman's near me has a ton, but the thing is that they've had a ton forever, so I can't really speak to the quality.

Also, they're very expensive. Like $100 for a goose. That seems like they're gouging the foodie crowd.

Any recs?

They are $150-180, frozen, from D'Artagnan. Geese are a specialty item, and expensive pretty much everywhere. I've bought them from Whole Foods, but it was a special order IIRC

Any recs?

Groff's Content sent out an email before Christmas that they had whole goose for sale at $10/lb. Give Julie a call and see what she can do for you:

--

Julie Bolton

Groff's Content Farm

Rocking B Stables

14930 Bollinger Road

Rocky Ridge, MD 21778

301-447-6148 home

301-305-7898 cell

A goose now sounds tempting me - I have never had one before. Rather than spend that much on a dinner, does anyone know any restaurants that have goose on their menu (I know I may have just missed the season).

I had goose many years ago at Old Europe in Georgetown.

A good buddy sent me this:

Hello 14 & U Street Market customers!

We will be making a delivery to DC with our meats and eggs this

Saturday, January 12, 2013. PLEASE TAKE NOTE TO THE DIFFERENT PLACE

(from last year) TO PICK UP YOUR PRE-ORDERED ITEMS. We will be meeting

at AMERICAN ICE COMPANY, 917 V Street NW, from 11:00 - 12:30. You will

need to come inside the patio to pick up your order.

The following products will be available:

BEEF -

steaks -

fillet - $22.00/lb.

New York Strip - $18.00/lb.

porterhouse - $18.00/lb.

t-bone - $16.00/lb.

delmonico - $16.00/lb.

rib steak - $14.00/lb.

flat-iron - $12.00/lb.

sirloin - $12.00/lb.

sandwich steak - $9.00/lb.

skirt and flank steaks - $12.00/lb. - LIMITED SUPPLY!

roasts - approx. 2 -3 lb.

rump - $8.50/lb.

eye round - $8.50/lb.

sirloin tip - $8.50/lb.

brisket - $8.00/lb.

chuck - $7.50/lb.

short ribs - $6.00/lb.

sausage -

brat wurst -( large links) - $8.00/lb.

sweet Italian - (large links) - $8.00/lb.

hot Italian - (large links) - $8.00/lb.

chorizo - (large links) - $9.00/lb.

ground beef - $6.00/lb.

bologna (sweet) - $9.00/lb.

stewing cubes - $8.00/lb.

kabobs - $9.00/lb. (cut from sirloin tip)

liver -$3.00/lb.

soup bones - $1.50/lb.

LAMB

loin chops - $16.00/lb.

hearts - $5.00/lb.

kidneys - $5.00/lb.

liver - $3.00/lb.

RABBIT ( 2 - 3 lbs.) - $7.00/lb.

NARRAGANSETT TURKEYS

6 - 10 lbs. - $6.00/lb.

GUINEA FOWL - approx. 3 lb. - $6.00/lb.

CHICKEN

whole - average (2 1/2 to 5 lb.) - $5.00/lb.

hearts - 1/2 lb. - $2.50/bag

liver - 1/2 lb. - $2.50/bag

MUSCOVY DUCKS - (hens - approx. 3 lb.)

whole - $6.00/lb.

GEESE

whole -approx. 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 lb. - 7.00/lb.

BROWN CHICKEN EGGS - $5.00/dozen

Jumbo - $6.00/doz.

DUCK EGGS - $6.00/doz.

DRIED HONEYCRISP APPLES - (sprinkled with cinnamon) - 1/4 lb. bag -

$4.00

WE WILL ONLY BE DELIVERING WHAT IS PREORDERED. Please contact Daniel and

Lois Shirk at
or
by noon Friday,

January 11 with all orders.

We look forward to seeing you.

Daniel and Lois Shirk

Pecan Meadow Farm

"Wegman's... Like $100 for a goose."

"They are $150-180... from D'Artagnan."

"Groff's Content... goose for sale at $10/lb." (~$70 for a 7lb bird)

"Pecan Meadow Farm... GEESE whole -approx. 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 lb. - 7.00/lb." (~$45 per bird)

This is an absolutely absurd range of prices, and to my mind a rare example where small/local is considerably less expensive than industrial. What the heck is going on here?

"Wegman's... Like $100 for a goose."
"They are $150-180... from D'Artagnan."
"Groff's Content... goose for sale at $10/lb." (~$70 for a 7lb bird)
"Pecan Meadow Farm... GEESE whole -approx. 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 lb. - 7.00/lb." (~$45 per bird)
This is an absolutely absurd range of prices, and to my mind a rare example where small/local is considerably less expensive than industrial. What the heck is going on here?

This is a very good question that is worthy of discussion.

Two words: Inefficient market.

- Few buyers with a decent proportion of those relatively uninformed.

- No obvious source for one-stop-shop purchasing. For would be entrepreneurs or domain squatters, geese.com is available while goose.com is owned by a Cape Cod fishing retailer/outfitter.

- Infrequent and less predictable demand

- Highly fragmented provider market. (lots of generally smaller purveyors, Wegmans being an exception).

All that means that many buyers will pay whatever from whichever source not knowing any better. Depending on how dependent and how high-margin a given vendor is on said goose, prices will range higher (for more dependent/higher margin luxury providers) to lower (for those more diversified and not typically premium pricers). And so it goes.

Amazing we all learn about geese at young ages due to a

but most never really experience the real thing.*

* Members of dr.com obviously excepted from that gross (not goose) generalization ;)

^Makes sense to me! Second Helpings, the second cookbook from Union Square Café offers instructions for roasting a goose with a recipe for making a pretty interesting sauce flavored w juniper berries, quince, sage, caraway, cider... RW Apple had requested the recipe for The NYT around Christmas 2000, so you can probably find it online. Suggested sides: baked sauerkraut, apple & mortadella stuffing or horseradish-mashed potatoes.