Taylor Gourmet Deli, Local Sub Chain in Numerous Area Locations - All Stores Are Closing

I have known Casey for going on five years now and over the years have discussed his idea at length and in detail. Both he and David are super nice guys and incredibly passionate, dedicated and hard-working with a real vision for the type of place they hope to create and it's role in serving the neighborhood and the community.

The fact that they are offering delivery and their delivery zone will take them into some pretty dicey neighborhoods speaks volumes.

On top of that, they are bringing a pretty obsessive commitment to authenticity and a great, deep nostalgic love for their hometown's traditions.

I haven't had the chance to eat there yet, but on these things alone I am sure they will add some much needed excitement to a pretty lacking sandwich town.

So how would you celebrate a big old smack on the lips by the city’s largest paper? Well if you are Taylor you close up shop for most of the week.

The scribbled sign on the door says that they will reopen on Friday at noon.

Ha! Good for them!!!

I have always said that the best thing a restaurant could ever do would be to close for a week immediately following a review in the Post. There is nothing as unpleasant or more destructive then the aftermath of a review.

Or maybe a couple of days off around the holidays seemed like a really good idea. I hear it's what a lot of human beings do.

I guess some people have that kind of time to waste in a fruitless attempt to try some place new, well back to the bottom of the list for them.
Not me and I'd been thinking of dropping by, so thanks for letting the rest of us know that we should hold off until they reopend after the holiday.

Intrepid devotee of truth that I am, I have discovered the cause of Taylor's inconveniencing closure:

Their baker, Sarcone's, does not deliver Tuesday, Wednesday (or Thursday) this week and the owners did not want to serve a lesser, or less authentic, product.

So, I'd score this one: Plus one point for authenticity, minus two points for not anticipating the inconvenience and travel times of non-local business, no points awarded either way on the question of whether businesses are allowed to have different schedules the week of a major holiday, for a net result of -1.

ETA: And minus three points for me for being a provocateur and asshole in general, but those are not to scored against the Taylor team.

Intrepid devotee of truth that I am, I have discovered the cause of Taylor's inconveniencing closure:

Their baker, Sarcone's, does not deliver Tuesday, Wednesday (or Thursday) this week and the owners did not want to serve a lesser, or less authentic, product.

So, I'd score this one: Plus one point for authenticity, minus two points for not anticipating the inconvenience and travel times of non-local business, no points awarded either way on the question of whether businesses are allowed to have different schedules the week of a major holiday, for a net result of -1.

Some people have their own ideas about how to run a business. They

are going to do what they want, no matter what advice (or criticism) they get.

I say: screw 'em.

Had the chicken scratched note on the door given such an explanation I would certainly would not have held it against them. However, no such explanation was given. Am I entitled to know why they closed? Nope, stating a justification is purely up to them. Am I entitled to feel put out by trekking through one of the less desirable neighborhoods in the city to give them a try and find them closed?

But then again, I am sure that you would like to given them an extra +2 for not having to take money tainted by an asshole like me and that would put them at +1.

I walked over last Friday night after calling to check on the hours. ( I was told 12:00pm to 10:00pm that day). At 6:30pm there was only 1 other customer. The shop design is sleek and minimalist. There are italian wines, beer, and various canned italian products. I believe Casey was working the register and he was very affable. I inquired about delivery of beer/wine with food and he wasn't sure but said he would find out. I ordered a 12" "Church Street" with the house made sausage, peppers, and sharp provolone. It was tightly wrapped in butcher paper, kept its integrity, and was still warm after the cold 15 min. walk home. I intended to save half the sandwich for the next day but ended up finishing the rest for a late snack. The sausage had a great kick to it, the peppers were bursting with flavor and the Sarcone's bread was just as described. I can't attest to the service and long waits during lunch hour, but the sandwich I had was sublime. I'll be back. (or ordering delivery).

I decided to make another attempt to visit Taylor yesterday, and this time found it open. The inside of the restaurant is beautifully done, with dark wood and bright metals, my only desired change would be to actually mark the bathroom doors.

The food had mixed results. The Columbus Boulevard was one of the best sandwiches I have eaten in quite a long time. It was a perfect harmony of prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers, dried oregano, oil and vinegar. The bread certainly played a role in making this a success, the nice flavor and texture of bread accentuated the flavors while at the same time not getting in their way. Unfortunately the same was not true for the 9th Street Italian. This is Taylor’s take on the classic Italian cold cut sub, and it looked beautiful. Where the ingredients of the Columbus worked together like a fine string quartet, the elements of this sandwich reminded me more of club music, the thundering bass of the sharp provolone and vinegar drowned out the more subtle flavors of the meat (something not easily done to capicola and Genoa salami).

While it is about 12 blocks from my office I plan that when my schedule avails me of the time I will hop the X2 bus and get another Columbus Boulevard, or even stay so that I can sit and hopefully enjoy what looked to be some beautifully fried treats.

Some friends went down to Taylor's a few nights ago - I missed the excursion by a few minutes. I had to ask for a bite of my gentleman friend's sandwich. Sausage with peppers and onions.

It was sublime.

I was not offered another bite.

I will definitely have to be in the right place at the right time next time.

Unfortunately the same was not true for the 9th Street Italian. This is Taylor’s take on the classic Italian cold cut sub, and it looked beautiful. Where the ingredients of the Columbus worked together like a fine string quartet, the elements of this sandwich reminded me more of club music, the thundering bass of the sharp provolone and vinegar drowned out the more subtle flavors of the meat (something not easily done to capicola and Genoa salami).

I wandered down to H St. from Lincoln Park today to try Taylor's for the first time, and got the 9th St. Italian sub. My experience was better than Sthich--the provolone didn't overwhelm anything but was only a mild undercurrent to the predominant flavors of the meat, and there was only a trace of vinegar. This was one damn fine sandwich, particularly the much-vaunted Sarcone's bread.

I also ordered the fried risotto balls, which had a nice molten core of mozzarella and were virtually greaseless. They really didn't need the spicy marinara sauce served on the side, which made a nice little after-lunch tasting all on its own. I'm not clear if it's a homemade sauce, but it has a good kick to it.

Got there just in time to beat the rush and was in and out in about ten minutes. Staff was friendly and appreciative. I'll be back.

...I also ordered the fried risotto balls, which had a nice molten core of mozzarella and were virtually greaseless. They really didn't need the spicy marinara sauce served on the side, which made a nice little after-lunch tasting all on its own. I'm not clear if it's a homemade sauce, but it has a good kick to it....
Good god, sign me up. When I was living in New York, one of my favorite items, available at many neighborhood pizza places, was the less-fancy-pants-named "rice ball." They're hard to come by outside NYC.

It's 9 blocks from my office to Taylor. Rain, rain, go away...

Taylor had a pretty damn good first showing for us tonight, missing in the only area where I would have expected a home run (not so fresh bread). The meat on the 9th Street Italian was a bit sparse, but on the whole it was the closest to a real Tri-State area italian hoagie that I have had in DC. If the bread was fresher and there was some of the delicious spicy relish that I'm used to getting on this sub (had some at home so the sandwich was easily fixed), I would say this would be a go-to when I come back here. My wife loved her Roosevelt Park salad, and I had to agree. A nice garlicky flavor to the vinaigrette and generous amounts of chicken (extra $1.50 and well worth it) and cremini mushrooms rounded this out quite well. They were out of the risotto balls, but this was a blessing as we really enjoyed the Ridge Ave Raviolis we got instead. Haute cuisine this is clearly not, but it was a great version of a deli treat I grew up eating. I was impressed that they didn't overfry the raviolis, which happens at a lot of places that serve this side.

Kudos to them for delivering a good 20 minute drive away for a $25 order and a mere $2 delivery charge. It's nice that I'll be able to continue to order from here at lunch and dinner without having to personally make the schlep across town.

I've been to this place a few times and have been left totally underwhelmed, and last night, ripped off. To wit, I ordered a 12 inch meatball sub, and it came with 4 meatballs on it. 4! On a 12 inch sub! Sure, they cut the meatballs in half to spread them out, but these are not big meatballs, just average size. Even my wife remarked, "This is all bread." And the bread was nearly stale. Oh, and it cost me 10 bucks. Total scam. The other sandwiches I've had there, while not ripoffs, simply haven't been that good.

That being said, those risotto balls and the Boylan (sp?) soda are delicious...I'm just not sure it's enough.

I am obsessed with the aged Provolone at Taylor's. It makes for an unparalleled sub, with the perfect balance of high-quality ingredients properly and lovingly treated, and an amazing, intense flavor impact.

Even if subs there are not of the overwhelming "gut-buster" variety, I find their deli subs (haven't had their meatball sub, and the chicken subs could be "wetter" to my taste) to be utterly satisfying as the quality of the ingredients forces me to savor each bite to the point where it takes me twice as long to finish one of theirs than my previous favorites, the Italian Store.

Just the combination of the Sarcone's roll and the aged Provolone alone is enough to do it for me.

Let me say that I really like this place and I have to commend these guys for what they have going on here. It’s the closest thing outside of the Philly burbs for a sandwich that comes close to the wonders of Trio's. The Sarcones roles really make it... BUT I have to echo one thing that others have said here: they need to be a little less stingy with the toppings! We ordered the chicken cutlet with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe the other day and it was *almost* perfect---BUT there was only a tiny scattering of broccoli rabe on the sandwich! Otherwise, it was SO GOOD: the chicken cutlet was light, super-crisp and not too greasy, the sharp provolone had a wonderful tang, the broc. rabe (what there was of it) was appropriately garlicky, etc. I think a bit more generosity with the toppings would go a long way toward making these the best damn sandwich you can get in DC. I'm pulling for these guys!

Average at best, while the meatball sub had a good amount of flavor the quality and freshness that they clamour on about just wasnt there. Would rather go to Literris or Al's in Del Rey any day, for that matter every day. It wasnt bad, it just wasnt 20 dollars worth by any means. I dont think I will go here again for a long time. Too bad the food didnt live up to the hype.

Average at best, while the meatball sub had a good amount of flavor the quality and freshness that they clamour on about just wasnt there. Would rather go to Literris or Al's in Del Rey any day, for that matter every day. It wasnt bad, it just wasnt 20 dollars worth by any means. I dont think I will go here again for a long time. Too bad the food didnt live up to the hype.

Al's Steakhouse in Del Ray is easily more expensive than Taylor Deli. Al's charges $14 for a large sub whereas the Taylor 12" hoagies all come in under $10. I've also yet to spend > $13 at Taylor in over a dozen visits so I'm not sure where your $20 figure comes from...

I've been having some health-related problems and pretty much haven't eaten a normal meal since Labor Day.

I took a deep breath and ordered the Vine St. and a Limonata yesterday.

Hot damn, it was better than I remembered. One thing I have noticed though is that while the sandwiches with the chicken cutlets are perfect, the ones without have either too much bread or not enough filling - the balance is off. But the Vine St.? Perfect. Mmmm.

They also stock Dolci Gelati, which gets a big thumbs up from me.

If you haven't tried Taylor's Pattison Avenue, you should. Don't take it from me, take it from Jane Black. It's a great roast pork hoagie with broccoli rabe and their fantastic aged sharp provolone with a touch of pan drippings sauce. A great spicy, sweet, savory, juicy combination. I never had the Galileo Grill version and I don't know the Philly original, but this is certainly the best sub I've had in many successful trips to Taylor.

If you haven't tried Taylor's Pattison Avenue, you should. Don't take it from me, take it from Jane Black. It's a great roast pork hoagie with broccoli rabe and their fantastic aged sharp provolone with a touch of pan drippings sauce. A great spicy, sweet, savory, juicy combination. I never had the Galileo Grill version and I don't know the Philly original, but this is certainly the best sub I've had in many successful trips to Taylor.

I agree very strongly with this. I've been enjoying Taylor sandwiches since they've opened, but since trying the Pattison Avenue I've been unable to order anything else on the menu. I love broccoli rabe, and the hard roll they use stands up very well to the pan drippings. Must try for everyone.

Just wanted to add to the praise for the pork. I'd wanted to try it since the Post article and made it up to H St tonight. So garlicky and juicy and delicious. The Vine St Expressway (cutlet with prosciutto and pesto) was also really good. Tough to choose which was better, but I think the slight edge goes to the Pattison. Definitely a must-try. The only disappointment were the raviolis. A bit on the dry side and not that flavorful.

I agree very strongly with this. I've been enjoying Taylor sandwiches since they've opened, but since trying the Pattison Avenue I've been unable to order anything else on the menu. I love broccoli rabe, and the hard roll they use stands up very well to the pan drippings. Must try for everyone.

A Roast Pork w/ Sharp Provolone & Broccoli Rabe is my 2nd favorite sandwich growing up from Philly [Chicken Cutlet was 3rd]. Used to eat this at Tony Luke's [Front & Oregon], the local standby place for sandwiches to bring into the sports stadiums [Phils, Eagles, Flyers]. Dammit now I have a hankering for the sammie & don't want to dredge outside today :angry:

Taylor's with the AWESOME Sarcone's rolls [eh, don't even try & say Amoroso is up there, they're OK but none of the best places I knew used them] does a fine job of bringing a taste of Philly nearby.

So in the last month, I've discovered the 5th and K location and have been trying out some different sandwiches. Started with the 9th St Italian. Good, better then anything I can get nearby, but not as good as say Italian Place. Next visit, Art Museum (breaded chicken, roasted red peppers, prov) - quite good. Anyone had the chicken sandwiches with grilled chicken instead of breaded cutlet? I'll have to try that sometime.... part of me thinks that the bread and the breading don't complement each other as well as they should... I'll also need to try some of the other combos. The Pattison Ave.... wow! Easily the best of the 3 I've had. While I can see how some folks could think that the sandwiches should be bigger given the prices.... can't say that at all about the Pattison.... eating it, the meat and brocolli rabe are spilling out... the pork so moist and complemented perfectly with the brocolli rabe and the sharp provolone.

Best part, so close to work... never a reason to go to Quizno's again......

The Pattison Ave.... wow! Easily the best of the 3 I've had. While I can see how some folks could think that the sandwiches should be bigger given the prices.... can't say that at all about the Pattison.... eating it, the meat and brocolli rabe are spilling out... the pork so moist and complemented perfectly with the brocolli rabe and the sharp provolone.

I agree with the pork sandwich, one of the best in town!

Another favorite of mine here is the sausage & peppers, dubbed Church St.

IMO, the taste exactly captures what I used to get in Philly. [the Sarcone's roll helps in a big way]. I usually get mine with extra peppers. Nice alternative to the Roast Pork or Chicken Cutlet sammies.

p1030745smaller.jpg

Having had the Pattison Ave. (12', $9.50) today for lunch, as well as Toscana Cafe's rendition of the pork, broccoli rabe, and provolone combo a while back, I have to agree. There are two components that really set Taylor's apart: the bread, and the decision to add crushed red pepper. Taylor's rolls are so vastly superior to the bread Toscana uses -- they actually hold up to what they're meant to carry, even when it is quite juicy like that braised pork. And the crushed red pepper, rather than overwhelming the other ingredients, adds just enough heat to complicate the sandwich's flavor profile a little, keeping you interested and leaving your taste buds with the sort of light tingling that stems from long-term application of low-level spice.

But as for the meat, cheese, and broccoli rab themselves, Taylor's sandwich didn't blow Toscana's away. Some bites, where all the flavors were in sync, were amazing: there was enough juice to soften the fantastic bread and to keep the pork moist, and all three of the core components were present. But much of the time, due to how the filling was laid out on the roll, some bites were all broccoli rabe and provolone, and others were just pork. The former showcased the need for a slightly heavier hand with that deliciously salty cheese, and the latter made me think that the pork could have been more flavorful, more tender, and juicier if it was aimed at beating Toscana's; but in the few bites where everything came together, I couldn't have been happier.

I guess the moral of the story is that a good sandwich has high quality ingredients, but an awesome one has them laid out just right. Still, I'll definitely be giving them another shot to reach that level soon.

4386307224_7db4a59322.jpg4386307332_a875792e94.jpg

IMHO the sharp provolone is supposed to be in-your-face; at least, that's how the flavors are positioned at Tony Luke's. I actually thought it was very muted here...

DanielK led a few of us to the Mt Vernon triangle location (corner of 5th and K NW) following another successful volunteering shift at DCCK. The roast pork Italiano is curiously absent from the menu board, but the staff assured us that it was available, so of course we gave it a go. The Sarcone's roll, sopping with juices, is an easy win. But the proportion of toppings could use a re-think: it was far, far lighter on pork and provolone than I'm used to getting at the well-known Philly places, and the broccoli rabe was rather stemmy. I think GennaroE was on to something when he suggested that the trick may be to buy a 12" sandwich but to have them assemble it on a 6" roll.

Pleasant surprise: arancini (5 for $4.50) were quite good, even if the texture of the risotto wasn't quite up to 2Amy's standard. Also, the soda fountain dispenses Boylan's products, all cane-sugar or sugar-free!

And finally, Tim Carman reports tonight that a third location in Bethesda is back on track.

BTW, I love the look of the Mt Vernon location.

Dave and Gennaro are spot on. The individual ingredients are excellent, but the ratios are all wrong. The sandwich needed more pork, more cheese, and less rabe.

I think Gennaro has it right. Order the 12" sandwich, and when you get to your table, move all of the pork and cheese from one half of the sandwich to the other. Then toss the extra 6" of roll with the extra broccoli rabe, and you'd have a near perfect sandwich. Of course, then it would be $9 for a 6" sandwich, not exactly a bargain.

IMHO the sharp provolone is supposed to be in-your-face; at least, that's how the flavors are positioned at Tony Luke's. I actually thought it was very muted here...

I have not had it on the pork sandwich, but where I have had it I find that it is too overpowering for my taste, I like for the flavors of a sandwich to meld and not have one over-power any other. I must say that I really love the Columbus Blvd, especially after I walk the countless blocks back to my office and the oil and pepper juice has had a chance to soak into the roll.

But much of the time, due to how the filling was laid out on the roll, some bites were all broccoli rabe and provolone, and others were just pork.

I have found that the aged provolone they use at Taylor overwhelms any sandwich it is put on.

Dave and Gennaro are spot on. The individual ingredients are excellent, but the ratios are all wrong. The sandwich needed more pork, more cheese, and less rabe.

I had this sandwich tonight at the H Street location, and it had a lot of pork, an even distribution of ingredients, and provolone that was indeed sharp, but which came across as slightly muted (because of the amount of pork).

Cheers,

Rocks.

I think Gennaro has it right.

Apparently I don't. Today I requested a 12" Pattison Avenue (Pork + Rabe) on 6 inches of bread, and received a mass of pork with literally two stems of broccoli rabe (less than 1/4 of the amount on the normal sandwich) and a sprinkling of cheese. The imbalance of ingredients might have been tolerable if the pork had tasted good, but today it utterly lacked seasoning and tasted more of unadulterated fat than anything else. Plus it was ice cold, which only accentuated the unpleasant texture of the meat and underscored the lack of any other flavor.

I'm pretty disgusted. The 4 or so lunches I've gotten from the Sauca cart have been far superior to this sandwich, and cheaper.

Edit: At least the Arancini were decent; they have a nice spiciness to them.

I've found this to be one of the most inconsistent restaurants in DC. One night you'll get a revelatory salad and prosciutto sandwich and the next you're getting stale bread with sparse toppings and overfried raviolis. I haven't been eating out as much, so it's hard to use one of my few nights out on a place that is only 50/50 to deliver, meaning that Taylor has unfortunately fallen out of the rotation.

I'm ecstatic to have Taylor in my neighborhood (the MVT location). YMMV but my rule is to get any sandwich with the aged provolone. Personally I love its strong flavor. My go-to sandwich is the 9th Street Italian (hold the lettuce). Usually I'll get the 12 inch sandwich and it makes two meals for me.

I find this thread pretty fuckin' funny.

I mean, sure, things can be done well or poorly and money is money, but the ratio of pretentious criticism/melodrama/obsequious connoisseurship (all sins to which I readily confess) to price-per-meal probably the highest of any thread on this board.

It's a sandwich shop.

And JLK is spot on: aged provolone rocks. It's the bacon of cheese.

I find this thread pretty fuckin' funny.

I mean, sure, things can be done well or poorly and money is money, but the ratio of pretentious criticism/melodrama/obsequious connoisseurship (all sins to which I readily confess) to price-per-meal probably the highest of any thread on this board.

It's a sandwich shop.

And JLK is spot on: aged provolone rocks. It's the bacon of cheese.

There's only one thing that I could think of that would make it even more absurd: If someone were to have called ahead on a Saturday night and asked how long the line would be when they got there and then gotten all mad when he was told that they have no way of knowing, or even speculating on, such an unknowable thing.

Winky emoticon.

There's only one thing that I could think of that would make it even more absurd: If someone were to have called ahead on a Saturday night and asked how long the line would be when they got there and then gotten mad when he was told that they have no way of knowing, or even speculating on, such an unknowable thing.

Winky emoticon.

[The general rule here is as follows: "In order for off-topic one-liners to stay, they have to make the Laugh Committee laugh." This one did.]