Photo

Town House, Chilhowie, VA - Closed Due to Chefs John and Karen Shields' Departure

Smyth County Chilhowie Modern American Closed

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 Joe H

Joe H

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Small world:  my mother was a waitress at Ben and Mary's for a couple of years in the mid '60's.  Serious.

• southdenverhoo likes this

#102 southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

Small world:  my mother was a waitress at Ben and Mary's for a couple of years in the mid '60's.  Serious.

I hope she did OK--horse people of that era were legendarily cheap (with some notable and locally renowned exceptions) and the middle class folks--well my dad once gave me a stern talking-to in my late twenties over a 25% tip he saw me leave; I've never let him see any check I've paid since. He's a strict 15% man having been raised in the Depression, but compared to him a lot of the local entrenched/generational wealth tossed nickels around about as casually as if they were manhole covers.

#103 Joe H

Joe H

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

About the time that your dad was frugal in the Depression my mom took a job at the original Hot Shoppes at 14th and Park road.  She worked there until the mid '60's when she remarried and moved back to Bealeton where she grew up.  Ben and Mary's was her last job before retirement and she loved it.  I never lived in that area-when my mom remarried I stayed in Silver Spring where I grew up. 

It would be incredible if the Shields' would open where my mom had once worked.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Smyth County, Chilhowie, Modern American, Closed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users