Stachowski Market and Deli, 28th and P Street in Georgetown, Featuring Jamie Stachowski's Charcuterie

chacha

If anybody is interested in some Easter kielbasa come and pick it up.(5301 32nd st. N. ARL. va. 22207)

10 AM - 2 PM TOMORROW. Go directly to the garage.

Saturday April 11. or call me 202 413 7355.

Thanks for all the chat about the name- I have showed to my partner.

I was disapointed that I had to be out of town for the last couple of roadside drop-offs. However, I was fortunate enough to be in town this weekend, so I made sure to stop by and see Jamie this morning. I picked up some kielbasa and some salami cotto. Both were FANTASTIC - understandbly mild, but with a real nice depth of flavor. I couldn't recommend them more - the textures and flavors are spot on. I'll be sure to try to re-arrange my schedule for future events. In the meantime, can't wait for meatcrafters.com to take off.

I received an e-mail newsletter from the little store in Falls Church called Red, White, and Bleu (127 S Washington St) that said that they are the first store to be carrying the Stachowski Charcuterie. They mention the following in the newsletter: duck prosciutto, Hungarian beer salami, duck salami, and pate de campagne. Red, White, and Bleu is a fairly new and friendly store that is worth stopping by - especially now.

Jamie will be at Red, White, and Bleu on Saturday. I'll quote the newsletter but you'll miss out on the big pic of him and his sausage. :D

Too bad I'll be in Charlottesville...

Red White & Bleu presents:

"UNLEASH THE CARNIVORES!"

Weekend of May 22nd - May 24th

HOLY SMOKED SAUSAGES!!!!

It is our great honor to present a tasting event this Memorial weekend with master charcutier Jamie Stachowski. We invite you to come and sample Jamie's incredible, meat-tastic creations. This is your chance to MEAT the artist behind the kitchen counter and feed off of his raw passion and intensity. See and taste for yourself Jamie's charcuterie and meet this masterful, creative chef.

This Saturday May 23rd, from 1pm-5pm, Jamie will feature an assortment of his hand-made salamis, sausages, bratwursts, pates, and proscuittos which we will pair with our tasty wines for the ultimate summer fiesta!

charcuterie board

Vegetarians - don't forget we love you too!

Chef Jamie Stachowski

Jamie Stachowski

If you're a fan of the farm-to-food movement and classic cooking, Executive Chef Jamie Stachowski is your man. A native of Buffalo, Jamie grew up on a farm where they grew vegetables, raised chickens, ducks and capons, and used what they had to make sausages, soups, sauerkraut and pickles for their extended Polish family. He loved it all, even spending time at the neighbor's farm milking cows. No surprise that Jamie quickly found his way into the kitchen.

Jamie turned pro at 14. He cut his teeth at his mother's family's restaurant but shortly moved on to Martha's Vineyard. After a couple years, three restaurants and a little growing up, Jamie headed for Los Angeles.

In LA, Jamie learned classic cuisine and became part of the New American Cuisine movement. He worked with the masters of the movement - Wolfgang Puck and Joachim Splichal in LA, at Le Perigord in NY and settled in Washington, DC, in the kitchen of Jean-Louis Palladin.

For eighteen years, Jamie has run his own successful kitchens in the Nation's Capital. At Eciti Café & Bar, Jamie created an "American baroque" menu, taking complementary ingredients, adding sauces and glazes and making "flavors that melt in the mouth." His next venture, Restaurant Kolumbia, was extolled as "poetry on a plate" by Washington Post Food Critic Phyllis Richman.

I noticed this myself the other day. Meatcrafters did show up at the Crystal City Market yesterday for the first time. Their canopy still had Stachowski's photo on it and they DO have his Kielbasa. I picked up a package of half smokes too. Excited to give them a shot!

Yo, Jamie (or anyone else in the know) - any news you want to share on Meatcrafters?

You know, since your name is completely purged from the website, and all that...

I had been trying to track this down for a couple of weeks. I finally got a hold of Jamie yesterday, and he confirms that he's no longer a partner in MeatCrafters. The details are here.

"Stachowski’s name has already been scrubbed from the MeatCrafters‘ Web site, but he will still have a roll in the company. Berliner is still selling and distributing some of Stachowski’s sausages."

Tim, are you blogging on an empty stomach? :rolleyes:

From Red White & Bleu's e-newsletter:

INTRODUCING JAMIE STACHOWSKI BRAND CHARCUTERIE!!!

We could not be any more excited to have been selected as the first specialty shop anywhere to carry Jamie's fantastic cured meats.

LINGUICA $8.99/ea

A Portuguese cured pork sausage seasoned with onions, garlic, and paprika

DUCK SALAMI (PETITO) $18.50/lb

Smoked, spiced with Port and juniper

PATE DE CAMPAGNE $13.99/lb

Country-style pork pate wrapped in bacon

BURGUNDIAN PHEASANT PATE

Country pheasant pate with seared pheasant breast and wine-infused pearl onions

Stachowski Charcuterie sales and pick up for orders

For Saturday the 26th

Kielbasa

Portequese Linguica

Lamb Merguez

Country pate

Pheasant pate

Chicken Bratwurst

Veal Bratwurst

Spot to be named during the week along with the new password

Tell your friends

Who's jonesin for some? saturday 11 pm.In the 7-11 parking lot at the corner of lee highway and cleveland (N. arlington u know staight up ganster!)

sausages?

FRESH KIELBASA (POLSKA)

SMOKED KIELBASA

LAMB MERGUEZ

VEAL BRATWURST (VEAL AND CREAM YUM O)

CHICKEN BRAT (DRIED APPLE SOAKED WITH HARD CIDER AND SAGE)

SMOKED DUCK SAUSAGE (PORT AND JUNIPER)

POTUGUEZ LINGUICA (SMOKEY PAPRIKA AND SHERRY)

All come with built in fatty drippin juicyness say it again fatty trippin juiceyness

french shizzle "sa cra bleu"

BOURGONE STYLE PHEASANT PATE (PINOT NOIR PEARL ONIONS AND LARDON)

BEEF CHEEK PATE (DRIED FIG AND WALNUTS)

salumi cotto two ways "mama mia"

(BEEF AND PORK FERMENTED WITH WHITE WINE AND CARDAMON)

(WILD BOAR FLAVORED WITH BEET AND CLOVE)

old school dry cured maturity (for over 21 yrs. old consumtion)

BRESOLA (MOLDY BEEF BABY)

DUCK PROSCUITTO (DOUBLE BREASTED 6 MONTHS AGED)

PS. PASS WORD (KOOL WHIP)

HEY AT THE CORNER OF LEE HIGHWAY AND CLEVELAND (n. arlington u know straight up gangster) in the parking lot of 7-11. with me will be

fresh kielbasa

smoked kielbasa

veal bratwurst

chicken brat

portuguez linguica

lamb merguez

wild boar salumi cotto

beef salumi (white wine and cardamon)

pheasant pate

beef cheek pate (figs and walnuts)

bresola (moldy beef )

duck proscuitto (6 month aged)

password: kool whip

Merguez and Kielbasa went right back to the freezer, and the chicken brats were put aside for tomorrow's dinner.

Opened up the bresola and salumi cotto, as well as the pheasant pate, for what I thought was just a quick taste. Then the kids wandered in to the kitchen, and it became a swarm of hands.

Jamie, that pheasant pate... DUDE! DUDE!! Good thing I had some nice crackers sitting around.

For those in N.VA. The Organic Butcher of McLean has an very good selection of Jamie's charcuterie for sale.

I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone...I was there today also. Do you know of anyone who may have a bigger selection? I noticed Tim wrote an article about this on Thursday also.

I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone...I was there today also. Do you know of anyone who may have a bigger selection? I noticed Tim wrote an article about this on Thursday also.

I have noticed more of a variety at Maple Avenue Market in Vienna and Red, White, and Bleu in Falls Church. I believe he's at the FC Farmer's Market this winter season, as well (correct me if I'm wrong...).

FYI to folks looking for some Stachowski sausage, I was walking around Westover market waiting for the bacon to finish smoking and was shown that there was Stachowski Sausage for sale in the freezer section of the market. There is little to no way you would find it since there is no signage and its literally one small shelf surrounded by orerida products. It's at the end of the freezer line closest to the cashiers and there are about 6 diff sausages there, all frozen.

FYI to folks looking for some Stachowski sausage, I was walking around Westover market waiting for the bacon to finish smoking and was shown that there was Stachowski Sausage for sale in the freezer section of the market. There is little to no way you would find it since there is no signage and its literally one small shelf surrounded by orerida products. It's at the end of the freezer line closest to the cashiers and there are about 6 diff sausages there, all frozen.

Just bought Jamie's sweet Italian sausage at the Falls Church market this morning. Excellent. I'm going to serve it up in a dish with bell peppers, onions and garlic with my market marinara tonight-probably over penne pasta.

Cheese will also be involved :(

I was using this stuff at some place I worked at in Falls Church. In my opinion some of the best cured and fermented meat products not only in the region, but in the USA. I'm excited about this..Now to find some time to actually get to the shop.

Stopped in briefly to say hello today. There were a couple of customers in the shop, and Jamie, Josef and the manager, whose name I'm blanking on, were behind the counter. It's a nice space, big and roomy in the back, which was open and in full view of the customers. Up front there's a case of fresh meat, and another full of sausages, pates, smoked and cured meats (duck prosciutto, venison prosciutto, various forms of pork), smoked chickens, and all sorts of tasty things. Another case had drinks and some miscellaneous items, and there's some light shelving with crackers, pastas and various items. On the wall is a list of sandwiches.

Already, it's a good start, and while we were there the place started to fill up. No surprise - it was a beautiful day to be outside. But it's just a start. Josef promised a lot more to come, and Jamie mentioned that there's more in the works before their official grand opening. Better to have money coming in now, though, than to wait for everything else to be done. The shop was busy enough that we didn't have a chance to talk much, so I don't know the details of what's coming, but some of the local press/blogs have said produce and prepared meals are in the works.

We walked out with smoked kielbasa and andouille, duck prosciutto, some pate, and some kind of "meat pudding" with pastrami and various charcuterie scraps, sourdough bread and other goodies melded together (it looked weird enough that I had to try it). None of them have been tasted yet - we had other plans this evening. We also walked out with lunch - a pastrami sandwich on pumpernickel, and a four-meat grinder. The pastrami was mine. It was thickly cut, and had a strong smoky, delicious flavor. Very different from a standard NY pastrami, so if you're looking for that it may disappoint, but if you just want a great sandwich with tasty, satisfying meat, it fits the bill. NQD's grinder was huge, on nice crusty bread, and she proclaimed it absolutely delicious. I'll verify that tomorrow when we split her leftovers.

We'll go back sometime to investigate the fresh meat options, and to see what else is coming. With good raw ingredients, Jamie's charcuterie, and great sandwiches, I think this will be a winner, if Jamie and Josef can adjust to the retail business.

I went by Stachowski's on my way home for lunch today, and bought some sliced (to order) pastrami. I took it home and made a sandwich with some of it, rye bread, vidalia onion, Dijon mustard. I have to say, it's chewier than I expect pastrami to be, but on the whole I think that's a plus. It's the best pastrami I've ever eaten. No, I mean it.

I went by Stachowski's on my way home for lunch today, and bought some sliced (to order) pastrami. I took it home and made a sandwich with some of it, rye bread, vidalia onion, Dijon mustard. I have to say, it's chewier than I expect pastrami to be, but on the whole I think that's a plus. It's the best pastrami I've ever eaten. No, I mean it.

I stopped by on Sunday on my way home from the Dupont Market. Jamie wasn't there, but his son Joseph showed me around and sold me some pastrami. It is EXCELLENT--not at all greasy and fatty like too many I've eaten, and with a pronounced smoke flavor along with the typical garlic-y, pepper-y spice. And at $11.99 a pound, a bargain compared to $13.99 a pound I paid at Neil's Deli in Carrboro, N.C. the last time I was down to visit my daughter. And Jamie's pastrami is every bit as good. The space is great, and I wish the Stachowski family all the best. I wish the parking situation in that part of Georgetown was better...

I agree that 11.99/lb for that pastrami is a huge bargain. Parking isn't bad if you're there around 1 pm on a weekday, as I was. You can also park illegally and probably get away with it if you're only away from your car for 10 minutes, not that I would ever counsel breaking the law.

I have stopped by this place twice now on the way to work, once about a month ago, and again today. Parking was not an issue both times around noon. I got parking on 28th one block up from the shop. Both times I got the "four meat grinder". At $11.99 it's expensive for a hoagie (around the same price as a sandwich at Sundevich, though), but it is large (maybe 12"). For me at least, it's two meals worth of sandwich. It's also very very good. I ate the whole thing the first time because I couldn't resist. Today I split it with a co-worker. I will eventually try the pastrami, but Italian subs are my favorite kind of sandwich, so I may not be able to order something else till I eat this again 3 or 4 more times.

I'm picky about my hoagies. I spent many formative years in South Jersey on Absecon Island. In fact, I was there this weekend and had a Dino's special in Margate (my childhood favorite, they use Formica Bros. bread, and it's two blocks from my parents house). Today's sandwich compared favorably.

I worked from home today, and decided to take a long lunch and drive from Clarendon, over the bridge, to finally check out Stachowski's market. FYI, parking at 12:30 was no problem for me (I parked on P right next to the shop).

I was immediately impressed by what I saw. Dry aged porterhouses, slab bacon, pancetta, duck prosciutto, linguica, fresh sausages (some boudin with confit pork looked particularly awesome), lonza/coppa (can't remember which, but involved some dark cocoa in the rub), korean-cut spare ribs, whole chickens (smoked and raw), and some INCREDIBLE looking house roast beef...PERFECT medium rare.

I'm trying to use up some babes in the woods pork I've stockpiled in the freezer, so I didn't buy anything to cook at home this week. But I did walk out with some Linguica, cheese, massive loaf of bread, tomatoes (snacks for this weekend) and...the 11.99 four-meat grinder. I must echo previous sentiments: this is one of the most impressive sandwiches I've had in recent memory, and was more than enough for two to split. We're talking HUGE, which is not always indicative of quality, but in this case it was home run. If you love classic italian-american hoagies, run- don't walk- to get this sandwich. I live right down the street from the Italian Store, but if I have time to make it to Georgetown I'll choose this sandwich every time.

I'll be back VERY soon. Here's to their success!