Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

I'm feeling the need -- and have my mother coming into town -- but can't seem to wrangle a reservation! I'm having a bad day...can you tell? :lol:

When can I call to get a reservation for Sat., April 1?

We're not taking reso's for April yet (in fact we are not taking reservations after March 26), and won't be for awhile, until I can find a way to figure out how to put an end to all this reservation/bad publicity madness. I know just shutting my mouth would take care of most of it, but that's not going to happen.

Seriously though, I do need to figure out a way where we can continue taking reservations without continuing to take so much shit for the way we do take reservations--which is the only way we can take reservations and make it work.

I also am not sure what our hours of operations will be or even what days we will be open yet.

Soon as I do know, I will let you all know.

Michael:

Don't let the bastard's wear you down. I don't think that the publicity has been bad enough to cause you to change the way you do business. It's your business after all, not theirs. If they want a different reservation policy, they can go open their own restaurants and run them how ever they want (probably into the ground). What the hell do they know about running a restaurant? I'll tell you, they don't know shit from shinola about running a restaurant and it would be a mistake to listen to them.

I know just shutting my mouth would take care of most of it, but that's not going to happen.
I like your bluntness, but maybe that's me. I know that I do love your sense of humor.
Seriously though, I do need to figure out a way where we can continue taking reservations without continuing to take so much shit for the way we do take reservations--which is the only way we can take reservations and make it work.
I don't have a problem with your reservation system, if that makes you feel any better. I've never been asked to do one of those 90 min give the table back things, so I wonder how common they are. I don't usually keep a table that long, so it wouldn't be a problem anyway, but I've never encountered this when calling for a reservation. I'm not there every week, but...

When the whole thing came up in the chat re calling to confirm a reservation, I couldn't understand why it bothered people. It's not exactly difficult to call an answering machine and leave a message. You have a small restauarant with a small staff and you can't afford no-shows. It makes perfect sense to make people take the initiative to call you back.

When the whole thing came up in the chat re calling to confirm a reservation, I couldn't understand why it bothered people.  It's not exactly difficult to call an answering machine and leave a message.  You have a small restaurant with a small staff and you can't afford no-shows.  It makes perfect sense to make people take the initiative to call you back.

Agreed. It's your place, and they're your rules - don't change a thing. If people are too self-important to call back when they're asked to do so, then they don't deserve a reservation. (Plus they deserve to be poked repeatedly with the business end of a mildly dischuffed badger, but that's just my opinion.)

We've been asked to do the 90-minute thing several times, and don't have a problem with it in the least. Tonight, if we'd stayed the entire 90 minutes we would have taken up usable space for 40 minutes after we'd finished a nice leisurely dinner, which I happen to think is rude. The less time we spend contemplating the collective navel once we're done and have paid up, the more time the staff have to reset the table and do whatever else they need to do before the next party arrives. And if our leaving promptly makes it possible to squeeze in one more walk-in party this evening to boost the bottom line, everybody wins.

We're not taking reso's for April yet (in fact we are not taking reservations after March 26), and won't be for awhile, until I can find a way to figure out how to put an end to all this reservation/bad publicity madness.  I know just shutting my mouth would take care of most of it, but that's not going to happen.

I also am not sure what our hours of operations will be or even what days we will be open yet.

Why don't you just stop taking reservations? Or, do it this way: take 5 tables at 6, 5 tables at 6:30, 5 tables at 7. Full! Skip 7:30!! Start again at 8. When someone calls for 7, say, "we don't have any more slots there, how about 6:30?" Also, why don't you raise your prices by one dollar and hire someone to answer the phone all day? Just curious.

This information is free of charge.

Michael...no need to worry about decreasing demand.

While I have been an AVID restaurant goer in DC for 20 years, I've never visited Ray's because I am reasonably certain it's not my type of place. You see, I am one of the "Gucci wearing, self-important a-holes" that you hate so much.

When I read your diatribes on this site recently, it only served to re-confirm my opinions. Though I fully support your right to run your restaurant in any way you see fit, I can not condone your vociferousness.

All that said, I completely broke down yesterday for the first time. I had instantly become fascinated with your restaurant, your passion, and the devotion of your fans.

The end of the story is, and this may be remarkably coincidental, but I don't think so...I actually picked up the phone yesterday morning and started dialing your number. I was determined to ask whoever answered for your next available opening, whenever that was, and then I would do whatever it took to re-arrange my calendar/schedule to fit in that 90 minutes. Alas, no such luck. I got a recording that asked me to call back later, and my "over-bearing, professional life" took over and I never had time to try again.

I will though. I'm just afraid I'll have to get there soon before you completely crack up.

People are always going to complain.

You have a great restaurant with low capacity. Tell them if they don't like a time limit on the early seating don't come. You will have many more complaint's from people with long waits, and many more who will not bother to try if they think it might be a wait.

I would rather know beforehand that I have a reservation for 90 minutes, that is more than enough to enjoy the early dinner.

Please tell me you will take reservations when you open in Silver Spring.

Hey, just ignore what Michael says and enjoy what he serves. Last night I went with a friend who happens to be a priest and the first words out of Michael's mouth were to assure us of second-class service. He also said he was surprised to see me there after the recent vituperation on dr.com and the publicity on his love life. But as soon as we were seated, there came a special hors d'oeuvre plate consisting of small amounts of chowder, a scallop and scampi -- on the house to get us started. We ordered the chateaubriand for two medium rare, and both the Father and I could not remember a piece of meat so tasty, delicate and even beautiful to look at. We thought we wouldn't be able to polish off the plate, but that proved not to be a problem. Michael stopped by several times and said things like "There's not a drop of butter in the potatoes." He also "confessed" to the priest that he came from Boston, his original idea was to open a seafood place but it takes too long to build up trust with seafood, somehow steak establishes a customer relationship faster. The place was as usual packed and though we were there at 7 o'clock, parking was a problem. The priest and I both ordered the key lime pie which lived up to its reputation for delicacy and rich flavor. Then another present from the house -- a demitasse of bitter hot chocolate, superb.

Michael said Silver Spring is 6 weeks away. He didn't look convinced when he said it.

Because he is computerphobic, the reservation system is not going to settle down. The best way to book a table may simply be to go there a couple of weeks before a desired dinner and make them write it down while you're standing there.

Michael's sardonic manner is part of the entertainment package. I find it charming and unpredictable. Please let me know if it makes its way into the food, but so far the two are completely separate. Maybe those with rabbit ears should stay away. As for me, I enjoy both the show and the meal. Take what he says with a grain of salt -- you sure won't need it on the steak.

Edited by StephenB

What a great steak joint. Was able to swing a table for 2 at the last minute by being politely persistent. They were very busy, but the food came out so fast that the 1hr window was plenty of time to enjoy a bottle of wine, starters and the steaks. Too full for dessert. Our server was great, she had a lot to attend to I’m sure, but got us started very quickly, and continued great service. This place definitely has a system, and does it very very well.

Hanger Steak – wasn’t sure what to expect (had a hanger steak maybe 2 times in my life). It’s a great choice. I usually get a filet, I know those fattier cuts have all the flavor, but I never seem to enjoy the big rib-eye or strip as much, anyway… But this steak had plenty of flavor and no bits of fat to contend with. Juicy and tender (very) and was good w/ or w/o the extra order of blue cheese sauce. Also I was full with ½ of the steak, and will have a top-notch steak salad for lunch.

My guy had the rib-eye apparently it was good – I didn’t even try for a taste until I realized he had gone in for the last bite! (I did snag some horseradish sauce – creamy with a kick :huh: )

No issues with temps for either of us.

What else was awesome…?

The caeser dressing* – lots of garlic. The house blue cheese sauce for the steaks, it was almost maroon, not sure if the color comes during the preparation or after mixing with the steak juice on the plate. And the bread - out of the world, I laughed at my BF who raised brows when he didn’t see the butter, but he hadn’t tried the bread yet, and I had. This bread is somehow packed with olive oil you can only taste not touch.

*the salad was only romaine and a true “starter size” it will not fill you up – and that’s a good thing.

Wine: We wanted to try “The Grappler” cab/syrah/zin, but they were out. Ended up with the inexpensive Vierlas, syrah/merlot/tempranillo/garnacha: nice to start, very light so it didn’t add much to the steaks, but didn’t detract anything.

Price: Our meal was $90 for 2 starters, 2 steaks, a $29 bottle of wine, and tax. It was absolutely worth it, and the short time was perfect since we went home to watch the 3 hour long Ray :lol: ( seriously we didn’t plan that)

We'll totally be back.

ETA: We also got a bit of Hot Chocolate with our check (pretty cool touch even though we didn't get dessert)

Edited by vsky

It came up again on Tom's chat, and Michael Landrumm commented on one of these threads that he was trying to think of a better way.

Several alternatives have been mentioned in the Ray's thread, as well as the Tom Chat thread. Feel free to list your solutions here.

So, what say you?

Having not yet tried for a reservation at Ray's, could someone post what the "policy" is?

(The Ray's thread itself doesn't help me that much -- it mostly just refers to the "policy," or similar. I feel like the one guy who doesn't grasp the situation.)

First of all, it's not a democratic thing. Michael can do whatever he likes as long as it's his joint. But the problem will continue until he bites the bullet and hires somebody to design a computer program for him. It will be exacerbated in fact when Silver Spring opens. Has it occurred to anyone that he actually likes the hassle? Enjoys it when people are scrambling to get into his emporium? My theory is that the ugly talk permits him to serve beautiful food. Keep complaining, Mike!

I'm still baffled why this such a difficult concept to grasp by the general public. Perhaps when people call for a reservation and the restaurant is full Ray's should politely say:

I'm sorry, reservations that night between 7 and 9pm are full. However I have a table available from 6pm to 7:30pm which you can have, but please be aware there is a reservation at that table for 7:30pm. Otherwise I can see what is available on another night.

If people don't like this policy them let them eat (cheese) cake (factory).

I understand that the recorded phone message at Ray's says that they are no longer taking reservations.  What happened, did he hand out too many of those cards with the VIP phone number?

On the previous page of this thread, Michael Landrum said they had stopped taking reservations altogether until they could come up with a new system.

So can you just show up now to try and get a table?

What he said was that they weren't taking reservations after March 26 (which I took to mean for March 26), and I would guess they're pretty well booked up through that time already. People report getting tables by just walking in, so I guess you can try. I'm glad I made a reservation for next week a while ago :lol: .

Editing my post to quote what he actually said so I don't misrepresent it in any way:

We're not taking reso's for April yet (in fact we are not taking reservations after March 26), and won't be for awhile, until I can find a way to figure out how to put an end to all this reservation/bad publicity madness.  I know just shutting my mouth would take care of most of it, but that's not going to happen.

Edited by Pat

Michael, while you are riding this wave of success, why not auction off 90-minute blocks of table time on eBay? That way, market forces could determine the price of entry--times that have high demand (say, Saturday at 7:30) would go for a higher price, set by the bidders. Less popular times might be available at a relatively minimal cost. Just think, you could make extra money and call anyone who bitches unamerican ;-D.

Can't wait for the next time I get to eat your delicious steak!

I think the system works fine as is. I have yet to read a single complaint, be it here, Chowhound, eGullet, etc. about the actual experience of eating at Ray's.

Just the apparent "hassle" of getting a table. Really, it's not such an arduous task, and if you find the process too overbearing, don't go.

I just called the number.  I think it said that they would be closed from March 26 until further notice.  What's happening?

I assumed it was the final push to get Silver Spring open.

And let me just say that I'm counting the minutes. I have more meetings than I can count out that way and it would be a huge boost to be able to get a decent dinner before or after....

Jennifer

I was at Ray's last night, and the food was as good as ever. The kitchen was full of staff, Landrum was there working the front-the place was packed at 9 and still packed at 10ish when I left. I imagine there are details missing. Lots of livelihood there and yet, no Hartzer.

Thanks Michael for fitting us in last night. I know a lot has been said about the crab bisque already, but I seriously think it's one of the best soups in the city right now. Rich and creamy with generous chunks of lump crabmeat. If you haven't tried it, you're missing a real treat! And the steak? Seriously - the man knows his meat - and that mushroom cognac sauce is the work of a genius (sorry for the gushing, but you gotta give the guy credit).

If you haven't tried it, you're missing a real treat!  And the steak?  Seriously - the man knows his meat - and that mushroom cognac sauce is the work of a genius (sorry for the gushing, but you gotta give the guy credit).

Brandy, not cognac. <_<

Theoretically, Brandy and Cognac are the same product. Both are made by distilling wines or the fermented mash of fruit, which is then aged in oak barrels. The varying characteristics of different brandies are the result of differences in fruit and grape varieties used, climate, soil, and production methods, which vary from district to district and country to country

Theoretically, Brandy and Cognac are the same product. Both are made by distilling wines or the fermented mash of fruit, which is then aged in oak barrels. The varying characteristics of different brandies are the result of differences in fruit and grape varieties used, climate, soil, and production methods, which vary from district to district and country to country

Cognac is an appellation of brandy. All Cognac is brandy, all brandy is decidedly NOT Cognac.

To clarify- on May 1, 1909, the French government passed a law proclaiming that only the product made in a sharply defined "delimited area" --250,000 acres surrounding the town of Cognac-could be called Cognac. All other brandies, however good, must be called bt some other name. I hope the rumor of Ray's demise is just that, but if true, I will bring a bottle of both and invite all to join me in a toast to ray's and drink.

A neighbor of mine says there is a sign in the window saying Ray's is closing :-(

Say it ain't so!

I'm surprised there hasn't been more reaction to this comment given that its a favored destination for Rockweillers? Is it true? If so, then for how long?

Heres a quote from the comments in the DCist article about Rays

"I didn't see any mention of it above but the Rosslyn Ray's is closing on March 26 for some time. I couldn't get any info as to why last night but I think it might have something to do with the other restaurant getting up to speed (this is from our waitress)."

"I didn't see any mention of it above but the Rosslyn Ray's is closing on March 26 for some time. I couldn't get any info as to why last night but I think it might have something to do with the other restaurant getting up to speed (this is from our waitress)."

I think that most of us have simply assumed this. And, that Landrum is just teasing us unmercifully by remaining silent on the subject. The alternative doesn't bear consideration. <_<

Maybe Ray's Arlington will become the private DR Dining room! We might be able to get reservations! The dining room willl be opened on April first and there will be free gulosh for all DRers. By then the new Segway parking lot will be open.

Regardless, Michael, I am sure you are under a lot of stress, more so than usual. Let me know (or even the board know) if we can help out in any way. One great restaurant is hard enough, two is unreal. I wish you the best of luck on all your endeavors.