Photo

Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse

Arlington Courthouse Steakhouse MLRG Inc.

• Please log in to reply
1574 replies to this topic

#1551 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,107 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Ray’s Hell-Burger, now being served at Ray’s To The Third, may not be getting the massive world recognition it was getting two years ago (think about the ramifications of this: The President of the United States and The President of Russia go there for hamburgers), but it sure seemed to be doing pretty well Monday afternoon, and if you look at the pin-board near the front door ('Where in the world did you come from to get your Hell-Burger?’), there are so many pins on it, from so many places, that I’ll bet Michael Landrum wishes he’d made it ten times larger. 

I ordered about as simply as one can possibly order - an Original 10-Ounce Hell-Burger ($10.99), grilled, medium-rare, with nothing on it, no cheese, no side orders, and a glass of ice water.

Whatever Michael does to his hamburgers, I hope he never changes it. Essentially a ground up steak on a bun, it’s as good as I remember it being (I haven’t had one in over a year now). I added exactly one shake of salt (someone should start a specialty salt product called The Sheikh of Salt), and a dab of Gulden’s mustard on the plate for the occasional dunk, and that’s it.

Beefier than beef, Ray’s Hell-Burger remains arguably my favorite hamburger patty. Bone marrow and persillade is perfect with this sandwich, but that’s now a five-dollar topping. Even what I had, with tax and tip, was about $15.00, and with the bone marrow, it would have been over $20. This is a lot of money, but this is also a lot of burger. Delicious, and maintained in Italic in the Dining Guide.

• hm212, Erik Ox, ScotteeM and 3 others like this

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1552 lion

lion

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

We also were there on Monday for an early dinner, and it was just as good as always. Fairly empty at 5:30, packed as we left close to 7pm.

#1553 collije

collije

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Question, has the lofty high burger (talking about the meat pirmarily) quality been maintained since opening in your opinions? I discussed with someone recently that felt it fell off a bit (not the same remnants from steaks as it was in the beginning), their opinion..

#1554 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,107 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Question, has the lofty high burger (talking about the meat pirmarily) quality been maintained since opening in your opinions? I discussed with someone recently that felt it fell off a bit (not the same remnants from steaks as it was in the beginning), their opinion..

Joe, I don’t know. I realize that’s a non-answer, but I’ve never known the quality or type of beef or seasonings used in Hell-Burgers; only that they taste deliciously beefy (always have, still do). This may be the very first time I’ve ever had one plain - I usually get bone marrow and persillade, or sometimes the Vermont cheddar. The first time I ever tried one was with Epoisses, and it was a huge mistake because it was just too much of a good thing, like putting hot fudge on a pizza.

I’ve never known where or from whom Michael sources his beef (although I’ve heard Briggs thrown around in the past), or how much of the hamburgers are steak scraps, ground beef, etc. I suspect things have changed over time, as needed, but that’s pure speculation on my part. For all the times I’ve talked with Michael, he’s never really told me what goes into his Hell-Burgers, and he’s been very effective at keeping his secret recipe a secret.

A lot of words, without saying very much.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1555 JoshNE

JoshNE

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

I had the original Hell burger a few times, and just last week we headed over to The Third.  It's still a hell of a burger, cooked perfectly (med-rare), with a nice big grind and loose texture.  I think this latest one was a bit undersalted as compared to the ones I remember from the past, but the amount of time in between those visits brings any real comparison into question.

#1556 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:51 AM

I now get the buffalo burger to satisfy burger cravings. It is somewhat smaller and quite a bit less fatty than the regular hellburger, which my digestive system has rebelled against on more than one occasion.

#1557 collije

collije

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Thanks, I just recall being in HellBurger in Year 1 and watching the meat being transported and ground there (that was awesome to see). I'm usually going crazy with the toppings too (The Dogcatcher is awesome isn't it?) but have not gotten in some time. Just an excuse for me to do a build your own, more basic version sometime soon.

When I visit Rays to the Third I'm usually getting the Steak N Cheesy Nice N Greasy haha.

#1558 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,107 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Thanks, I just recall being in HellBurger in Year 1 and watching the meat being transported and ground there (that was awesome to see). 

Are you talking about Michael himself hand-cutting meat behind the counter? I have never been convinced that this was anything more than show. The sheer numbers of hamburgers sold (sometimes near 1,000 a day) negate the possibility of this being representative.

#1559 collije

collije

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Are you talking about Michael himself hand-cutting meat behind the counter? I have never been convinced that this was anything more than show. The sheer numbers of hamburgers sold (sometimes near 1,000 a day) negate the possibility of this being representative.

Saw him once and I believe I saw someone else another time (think afternoon timeframes). But based on volume business I'd have to agree with you.

#1560 mdt

mdt

@#$%#^&*!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

Folks were certainly hand grinding meat at the original location. My guess is that they had more grinders going once business really ramped up.

#1561 Marks

Marks

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

First time we ate at the Classics, Michael took our order, cut our steaks and served the food.

#1562 hm212

hm212

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

If you recall Hellburger started as a way for Michael to have a use for the meat scraps and then things just grew from there.

#1563 mtureck

mtureck

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Great meal at Ray's the Steaks over the weekend, but so sad to end the meal with a little piece of fudge instead of the usual hot chocolate. I loved that hot chocolate!

It's been a while since I've been there...could have been the norm for a while.

#1564 Joe H

Joe H

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

When Michael gave up the lease for the original Ray's something was lost.  There was a kind of romance, a real character with that place. 

#1565 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,107 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

reat meal at Ray's the Steaks over the weekend, but so sad to end the meal with a little piece of fudge instead of the usual hot chocolate. I loved that hot chocolate!

Are you talking about the Tiger Butter? I actually prefer this - it's one of those things I'm glad I don't have lying around the house because it would all be gone in one evening.

When Michael gave up the lease for the original Ray's something was lost.  There was a kind of romance, a real character with that place. 

Not to mention Michael Landrum, Michael Hartzer, and Jarad Slipp all under one small roof while waiting for Ray's: The Classics to open.

#1566 Jimmy Chandler

Jimmy Chandler

grouper

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Great meal at Ray's the Steaks over the weekend, but so sad to end the meal with a little piece of fudge instead of the usual hot chocolate. I loved that hot chocolate!

It's been a while since I've been there...could have been the norm for a while.

It has been a long while, maybe 3-4 years? I'm not even sure they ever served the hot chocolate at the current location.

One thing about Ray's is that almost every time I go there the past few years -- and I go only occasionally -- is that something has usually changed each time. Since Mark left the wine list has shrunk, for example. And the bistro special doesn't include dessert any longer. etc etc.

Change is good, unless something that you like changes, then it's bad :)

• Joe H likes this

#1567 Joe H

Joe H

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

It has been a long while, maybe 3-4 years? I'm not even sure they ever served the hot chocolate at the current location.

One thing about Ray's is that almost every time I go there the past few years -- and I go only occasionally -- is that something has usually changed each time. Since Mark left the wine list has shrunk, for example. And the bistro special doesn't include dessert any longer. etc etc.

Change is good, unless something that you like changes, then it's bad :)

Great post.  Thank you.

#1568 Rhone1998

Rhone1998

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

I learned a long time ago to request my steaks "Medium" at every place, including all of the Landrum empire, in order to get what I considered "Medium Rare."  Otherwise, they invariably come out too rare for me.

Good advice, spot on tonight for both the Delmonico (a hedonistic, super beefy aged steak...loved it) and filet mignon au poivre our table ordered.  Both ordered medium and came out the hoped-for medium rare.  There's nothing I can say about RTS that others haven't said a thousand times here and elsewhere, but what a lovely meal to end the weekend.  We don't get here nearly often enough.

--
Dan

#1569 eatruneat

eatruneat

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

Heading to Rays to the Third for an early dinner on Sunday. Has anyone been here recently? Any recommendations? Also, would we be able to bring our own wine and pay a corkage fee? 

run.eat.drink.sleep.rinse.repeat.

@lamlet

#1570 ALargeFarva

ALargeFarva

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Heading to Rays to the Third for an early dinner on Sunday. Has anyone been here recently? Any recommendations? Also, would we be able to bring our own wine and pay a corkage fee? 

The best thing I've had there is the cheese steak.  The small one is more than enough food.

• DaveO likes this

#1571 DaveO

DaveO

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

The best thing I've had there is the cheese steak.  The small one is more than enough food.

I hit Ray's the 3 periodically.   Love the cheese steak.  Love the burgers, love the steaks, love the shakes.  I also think the small cheese steak is plenty big enough on its own. 

#1572 ALargeFarva

ALargeFarva

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

The person who mentioned above that something always seems to change is right.  I've been to Ray's the Steaks probably 30 or 40 times.  On my most recent trip, I noticed several things that I would characterize as "not as good as before":  

There must be a lot of turnover because I didn't recognize a single person there.  There were fewer managers walking around and I wasn't able to identify a sommelier in the building (there may have been one, but they're usually pretty easy to spot).  In addition, our service was somewhere between subpar and mediocre.  

They were also considerably less busy than they used to be.  I remember times on a Saturday where I'd walk up at 9 pm, get put on a waitlist and wouldn't get seated until after 11 pm.  On my most recent trip, they were pretty much "dead" by 9:30 or 10.  

Despite not being very old, the place is showing its age.  The most noticeable thing was carpet near the entrance that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years.  This would have suited the old space well because it was a hole in the wall (and proud of it).  And it probably would have been in the dining scene of a few years ago, but there's too much competition now.

Michael Landrum used to be lauded as an eccentric but brilliant restauranteur but, with his constant changing of menus, failure to launch of Ray's the Catch, selling Ray's the Classics, closing Hell Burger and Hell Burger Too, opening and closing Nice n Greasy Steak n Cheesy in what seemed like the same month and now Ray's the Steak's slipping, I'm beginning to wonder if there might be a more serious way to characterize his idiosyncracies.

One positive: the steak was just about as good as always.

• ScotteeM likes this

#1573 eatruneat

eatruneat

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for the tips. Dinner at Rays to the Third was pretty good. The menu isn't as varied as what I found online but the food, particularly the lack of steak options. On Sunday, there was only one cut of steak (culotte) on the with a variety of marinades and "toppings." My boyfriend ended up ordering the steak au poivre with bleu cheese and sauteed mushrooms with truffle porcini sauce. I had a bite of the steak which was quite good and juicy, cooked just right to medium rare. I also ate most of the mushrooms and thought they were good, but nothing special and I couldn't taste the truffle porcini sauce. I ended up ordering the Big Punisher. The burger was grilled with their chipotle suace and then topped with charred jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, and grilled onions. There was also an incredibly spicy "piranha" sauce served on the side. I really enjoyed my burger, and the patty itself was very very good and juicy. Our table also ordered baskets of the sweet potato fries, tater tots, and regular french fries. All of them were good, with the sweet potato fries being my favorite. To finish the evening, my boyfriend and I split a milkshake. I can't remember what it is called but it had bourbon in it and was topped with whipped cream and crumbled bacon. This was a great milkshake and I wish I had more room in my stomach to finish it. 

As for drinks, I called the restaurant and asked whether I could bring a few bottles of wine. I was informed that in addition to being allowed to bring my own wine, there is not a corkage fee. YAY! I ended up bringing two bottles of wine from Paso Robles, both of which were a hit with the group. 

run.eat.drink.sleep.rinse.repeat.

@lamlet

#1574 DaveO

DaveO

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

About a week ago I had the big and cheesy...normal size.   I've had quite a few.  This one was a significant disappointment.  I'd call it "gloppy".  The distinctive and sharp cheesy flavor was "dulled" and the whole thing was all mushed together in what turned out to be unappetizing, and visually unappealing.  Completely surprised me.

My friend had a hell burger.  Delicious.  It was too much for her and I managed to cut off and have some of it.  First rate.  As usual.  We accompanied this with two shakes.  Both first rate.  

But the big and cheesy;  it was quite a disappointment.  I suspect it was an exception rather than the new rule.  I'll be back to try it again among other dishes at Ray's the 3 and the fancier Ray's.

#1575 DPop

DPop

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

Ray's Retro.  Say what you want about this shrinking franchise (empire?), the Bistro Special at $23.99 for a bowl of the incredible crab bisque and a hangar steak is still one of the best deals you will find anywhere.  Wine prices are up, but probably around where they should be after years of being so low.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users