Balkan Grill, Bosnian and Turkish Bakery and Grill in South Alexandria - Rockville Location is Closed

The still-in-progress dining area at the front of Lezzet Market (on Nelson St. in Rockville, just down the hill from Rt 28 at I-270) will evidently be a branch of Balkan Grill, and not Simit & Kabob as previously surmised. I'm told there will be Turkish kebabs though. The interior reconfiguration is complete, a few tables are in, the kitchen is equipped.

Latest rumored opening date is "this Friday, insha'Allah".

The still-in-progress dining area at the front of Lezzet Market (on Nelson St. in Rockville, just down the hill from Rt 28 at I-270) will evidently be a branch of Balkan Grill, and not Simit & Kabob as previously surmised. I'm told there will be Turkish kebabs though. The interior reconfiguration is complete, a few tables are in, the kitchen is equipped.

Latest rumored opening date is "this Friday, insha'Allah".

The Rockville Balkan Grill has been open for about four months now.

...and it seems to have attracted a small lunch crowd of Turks.

One curiosity is that the Grill side of the Rockville space doesn't have soft drinks; you have to buy them from the Market side separately. Fortunately, the Market usually has plenty of cans of vişne (sour cherry nectar) in the fridge.

The food itself has been okay, if rather toned down. No Adana kebab köfte, although they'll do it up as a sort of burger. The Bosnian ćevapčići sandwich platter was pretty tasty, if a bit austere. I've never had Bosnian food before though. The one type of böreği available on my last visit came as a generous spiral of cheese-filled baked pastry with a nice crispness to it. I'd like it better with some dill, and the interior could be moister/more eggy...maybe it's better in Alexandria where they're made?

The Rockville Balkan Grill has been open for about four months now.

I went by and had lunch there on Sunday (11/14/10) and it's still there, and still serving Turkish sandwiches, etc. The tables were full at 2:00PM on a Sunday, so apparently business was good. The single employee was trying to do everything, and was having to struggle to keep up, however, so it took a few minutes to get served. I had the Adana Burger, which is a very large beef patty that is nicely spiced. It's served on a fresh baked loaf of bread (I have no idea what the name is) but didn't come with anything else on the sandwich. Also on the plate was a lettuce, onion and tomato salad. The drinks are kept in a cooler in the market area.

Unfortunately, I haven't been to Turkey, so I don't know how the sandwich stacks up with something from there. I do know that it was quite good, and very reasonably priced. The grill and market are at 1119 Nelson St. in Rockville. They have a web site at www.lezzetkabob.com. This restaurant is between a Chinese place and the Hard Times Cafe. I think it's the better choice.

Note that this is not fine dining. It's a Turkish kabob and sandwich place with four tables and a market in back. If you're in the area, it's worth a visit.

Wayne Rash

I've found nothing on the internet that the Rockville branch is closed, but their phone is disconnected, and nobody has written anything about it lately. Anyone?

The place is not closed. Ownership changed hands in January and the place was closed for several months for remodeling. The name changed to Balkan Grill & European Grocery from its former Lezzet and the phone number changed also. It is now (301) 444-4430.

The place is not closed. Ownership changed hands in January and the place was closed for several months for remodeling. The name changed to Balkan Grill & European Grocery from its former Lezzet and the phone number changed also. It is now (301) 444-4430.

I just got back from this place. The new owners reported that they just reopened last Saturday. They are offering a 15% discount on everything in the market and grill until the end of July. I used it on a spinach and cheese filled Borek, which I am enjoying as I type this. $6.00 before the discount.

Really like the cevapcici and Bosnia Burgers at Cosmopolitan. Also the fresh breads. Both are excellent at Balkan Grill as well, but that's more carryout. They also do a killer doner kebab which is pretty hard to find around here.

We live in walking distance to the Balkan Grill which was the original Cosmopolitan location.  Great food all around.  I'm a fan of the chicken sandwich which can feed a family of four.

• Like 1

I've found nothing on the internet that the Rockville branch is closed, but their phone is disconnected, and nobody has written anything about it lately. Anyone?

Rockville closed, apparently sometime in 2011, and there's no question that it was the same (or related) management by the logo on their Facebook page.

post-2-0-71778900-1447901516_thumb.png

I ate here today (near Huntington metro)- seriously small, we got the only table (although there was also an outside table & bar seating inside) & shared the appetizer sampler w/ baba ganoush, dolma, cigar borek, ezme, & mucver.  No bread, but I loved everything except the ezme (tomatoes, onions, peppers, parsley-just personal taste & it was cold). The mucver (zucchini fritters) were great.

I got the grilled chicken sandwich (loved the bread), my companions got the durum sandwich & the doner sandwich.  Everything was wonderful,  I'm just sorry I waited so long to try this place.

• Like 1