• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 goldenticket

goldenticket

Oompa Loompa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:16 PM

La Fromagerie is a new cheese shop that will be opening soon in Old Town (corner of King and Payne Streets). From the website, it looks like the focus will be on American products.

Anybody have any additional details?

Jackie B.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Wonka/Dahl/O'Shaughnessy

#2 Anna Blume

Anna Blume

fruit bat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

interesting

#3 goldenticket

goldenticket

Oompa Loompa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:07 PM

La Fromagerie is now open and seemed to be doing a steady business during their second weekend. The selection is solid, if somewhat limited, but they did say they'd sold out of some things when we stopped in yesterday. Sebastien and Mary Tavel (the owners) were helpful and quite happy to give samples of their various offerings. The fresh chevre from Sweet Grass Dairy (GA) is delicious - smooth and spreadable and reasonably priced at around $8/lb. We are also enjoying the Big Woods Blue, a sheep milk cheese from Minnesota.

Most of the cheeses are American, with a sprinkling of English, French, Spanish, and Italian choices. There are also several meats in the front case, as well as Trickling Springs milk, yogurts, wine, chutneys, crackers, etc., found throughout the cheddar-colored shop.
Nice to have them in the neighborhood!

Jackie B.

Wonka/Dahl/O'Shaughnessy

#4 goldenticket

goldenticket

Oompa Loompa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

Very exciting changes at La Fromagerie, especially for those of us who are close neighbors. They've rearranged the shop, added seating for about 20, and are rolling out a very nice menu of salads, sandwiches, and other items such as an amazing terrine of beef short ribs and butternut squash. Pending ABC approval, you'll also be able to enjoy wine with your meal, and hopefully later hours. Right now it's a very pleasant spot to stop in for a relaxing lunch or early dinner. Chef Sebastien is making several of the meat items on the menu and in the case - home-cured pancetta looked tempting.

This is a great addition to the Upper King Street area dining options. I already think they have some of the best cared-for cheese in the area!

PS - The 15-year old Hook Cheddar is in stock now, as well as the recently available Jamon Iberico (Pata Negra)

Jackie B.

Wonka/Dahl/O'Shaughnessy

#5 goldenticket

goldenticket

Oompa Loompa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

Very exciting changes at La Fromagerie, especially for those of us who are close neighbors. They've rearranged the shop, added seating for about 20, and are rolling out a very nice menu of salads, sandwiches, and other items such as an amazing terrine of beef short ribs and butternut squash. Pending ABC approval, you'll also be able to enjoy wine with your meal and, hopefully, later hours. Right now it's a very pleasant spot to stop in for a relaxing lunch or early dinner; I love the cheery cheddar-colored walls. Chef Sebastien is making several of the meat items on the menu and in the case - home-cured pancetta looked tempting.

We enjoyed that terrine, served with a salad of nicely dressed chickweed, and a root vegetable (beets and kohlrabi), goat cheese, and pecan pesto sandwich. The sandwich was made with a wonderful Pullman loaf (presumably from Panorama, who provides the bread for sale in the shop).

This is a great addition to the dining options in the Upper King Street area . I already think they have some of the best cared-for cheese in the area!

PS - The 15-year old Hook Cheddar is in stock now, as well as the recently available Jamon Iberico (Pata Negra) at $149.99/lb.

Jackie B.

Wonka/Dahl/O'Shaughnessy

#6 goldenticket

goldenticket

Oompa Loompa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Am I the *only* one who goes to La Fromagerie!?!

I had another wonderful lunch there on Saturday, the highlight being the rabbit "steak and cheese" - full of tender rabbit with great flavor, caramelized leeks(?), and a cheese that I've forgotten. The +1 and I split this, along with the roasted sweet potato sandwich, which included arugula, pecans, and goat cheese. Both sandwiches were on the daily special menu, but Sebastien mentioned that he's thinking of putting the rabbit on the regular menu. I hope he does :)

Jackie B.

Wonka/Dahl/O'Shaughnessy

#7 monavano

monavano

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

We tend to wind up at Cheesetique when we visit the farmers market and Taqueria Poblano etc. Thanks for putting this back on my radar-- I think I'm missing out!

#8 goldenticket

goldenticket

Oompa Loompa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

We tend to wind up at Cheesetique when we visit the farmers market and Taqueria Poblano etc. Thanks for putting this back on my radar-- I think I'm missing out!

I do think they are the best affineur in the area. The selection may not be as large as at other places, but the quality and diversity is top-notch. I especially like their focus on domestic cheeses. The addition of dining is the icing on the cake :)

Jackie B.

Wonka/Dahl/O'Shaughnessy

#9 goldenticket

goldenticket

Oompa Loompa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

I had another wonderful lunch there on Saturday, the highlight being the rabbit "steak and cheese" - full of tender rabbit with great flavor, caramelized leeks(?), and a cheese that I've forgotten.

I'm not the only one who likes that rabbit cheesesteak. Endless Simmer featured it on their 2012 list of America's Best New Sandwiches - awesome!

Jackie B.

Wonka/Dahl/O'Shaughnessy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users