Chopped

cheezepowder

On another note, I was wondering why Ted Allen wasn't back this season, and I just noticed on Food Network, there's a competing/similar show called "Chopped" coming soon....

Did anyone watch the new Food Network cooking competition show Chopped last night? I gave it a try. It's like a cross between Iron Chef and Top Chef. The premise is that there's a new set of 4 chefs who compete on each show. They have to cook using all the secret ingredients and after each course (appetizer, entree, dessert), one chef gets "chopped" and the winner gets $10,000. They have a "judges table," and Ted Allen is the host and goes around talking to the chefs as they cook.

I thought it seemed like a parody of a cooking competition show, and they gave the chefs too many secret ingredients. I was skeptical of how much you could really get to know the chefs in just one show and was surprised at how much I got a sense of their personalities. More creativity than 2 duck l'orange dishes would have been good too. I'm not going to go out of my way to see another episode, but I wouldn't be opposed to watching it again. It'll depend on what else there is to watch on Tuesday nights.

I'm not going to go out of my way to see another episode, but I wouldn't be opposed to watching it again. It'll depend on what else there is to watch on Tuesday nights.

That's pretty much how I felt about it as well. I happened to catch it the other night, and while it was entertaining and I watched til the end, I wouldn't set it to record on the DVR or anything like that. A cross between Iron Chef and Top Chef is a good description. Reminded me of the Quickfires, but with secret ingredients. We came in during the judging of the appetizers but the rest was entertaining. The dessert ingredients were quite interesting.

I actually did DVR this show, but have since taken it off my DVR. Since each show is it's own entity, as opposed to a season long show like Top Chef, I will be able to catch it when I want to without missing a beat. Overall, I thought that it was pretty good, contestants seemed to be relatively good given the challenges that they had, although likely not to the level of many of the chefs on Top Chef. To be honest though, I really don't like Ted Allen, his personality, to me, seems to be stiff, not very engaging and, from what I have seen so far, not very knowledgable.

Thanks! (And thanks to both of y'all who sent me PMs. :) )

I was mostly confused by the usage, but then again, I've never watched the show. (Ended up out sick when Andrew was on there, so missed the party at PS7.) I had taken it as "I would have liked to try the desserts, but she got chopped" which sounded to me like "fired". But I'm guessing instead it's more like "she's going to be pretty busy now".

Admittedly, I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed. :)

I had taken it as "I would have liked to try the desserts, but she got chopped" which sounded to me like "fired". But I'm guessing instead it's more like "she's going to be pretty busy now".

That meant she was eliminated before the third (dessert) course. Each competition has three rounds, and one person is eliminated during each one.

I completely forgot to watch, but it's on again at 8 PM on Feb. 11th and 3 PM on Feb. 12th.

This is a Food Network show I actually like, though I'm not too fond of Ted Allen.

SPOILER-Are we discussing the episode (rerun, I think) that Gillian Clark was on? The guy who won, Marcellus was such a tool, I could only watch about half the show-the ingredients in the first 2 rounds didn't seem that difficult, though (although I know the time is a huge factor)-I couldn't believe the Italian (Chicago) guy when he said he had never cooked catfish before (of course, he was the first to be chopped)...

Hey! Will Artley on Chopped right now. He's one of the two finalists. 7 or so minutes until they announce the winner.

I'm worried for him. He wouldn't share eggs with his fellow finalist and faked her out by telling her he wouldn't be making ice cream and then using the only ice cream machine after she'd set up to make one. Bad ju ju.

Does that portend a loss for Chef Will (Pizzeria Orso)? Maybe.

Hey! Will Artley on Chopped right now. He's one of the two finalists. 7 or so minutes until they announce the winner.

I'm worried for him. He wouldn't share eggs with his fellow finalist and faked her out by telling her he wouldn't be making ice cream and then using the only ice cream machine after she'd set up to make one. Bad ju ju.

Does that portend a loss for Chef Will (Pizzeria Orso)? Maybe.

Ouch. He didn't make it. Between that and the Giants beating up on the Packers, bad night for DC. Boo. :(

I'm still mad about this (for him). He actually cooked and was clearly the most precise throughout the entire competition. That show has always been flawed in my opinion since they don't "chop" the finalists based purely on the dessert round. The almost gave the competition to the other woman because she was most improved. That's not a winner in my book. That sloppy-ass frittata was disgusting looking.

I had forgotten that Andrew Markert (at the time, PS7's but now Beuchert's) was on Chopped.  Can we make a list of DC or DC-area chefs who have been on the show?  I know there have been others.  (Gillian Clark was one, and Will Artley.)

David Guas- Bayou Bakery (just watched the rerun), Frederick de Pue (Azur), the guy from Granville moore's (teddy?), a teen from the Friends school, & 2 guys that worked together (one was the other's sous chef-Tower Oaks?, found it, Clark Barlowe & Dan Giusti, 1789 ). Yes, I watch too much Chopped, one of my favorite shows (that's how I do dinner most nights at my house). I hardly ever watch the dessert round- too anti climactic (& too much bread pudding)...

I love Chopped and watch it pretty much any time it's on. My now wife and I did a tasting menu at PS7's last year and Andrew Markert served us each dish personally -- it was fun to talk with him about Chopped. It's amazing to me that Dan Giusti is now he head chef at Noma in Copenhagen. He left 1789 to work there and really quickly ascended the ladder.

Another DC chef on the show is the former chef at Founding Farmers, can't remember his name off the top of my head. I remember Googling him when the show was airing, but looked like he had left by then.

• Like 1

Chopped is one of my favorite shows to watch, period. I don't have to worry about backstory, I know everything that's going on, and everything is contained within one episode. I watch it all of the time, and can easily binge-watch several of them in a row in the right circumstances.

To your question, Rodney Henry from Dangerously Delicious was (briefly) on.  There was a woman from DC Central Kitchen on at one point.  Guy from Founding Farmers.

I don't think Teddy from Granville's was on. He was on Throwdown, and then after that was on Next Food Network Star.  But I don't remember Chopped.

Well, despite my good intentions, I saw the first half of the first round and when I woke up, they were just starting the final round.  Chef Ype impressed the judges by getting his ice cream into the machine faster than has ever been done in that kitchen, about 2 minutes into the round.  He ended up winning the episode, so good on him.  I'll have to catch reruns and see what & how  he cooked .

No.  Adam Greenberg of Barcelona won both a round of Chopped and then also won the year-end tournament of all the Chopped winners.  I can't think of anyone else, though, that won.  Will Artley should have on his appearance, IMO.

The chef from Hula Girl was on last night.  Knocked out in the 2nd round.

and I got an email that informed me that Chef Ypes from Silver Diner will be on a Sunday night showing of Beat Bobby Flay on August 5