DC Central Kitchen Night - Weds, June 13 - 5PM

goldenticket

Just wanted to get a topic going in the Events thread. If you're interested in volunteering, please send me a PM.

All the details can be found here.

Check out the full thread for details on pax's generous donation of six lambs to DC Central Kitchen.

There are also plans for dinner following the 5-8pm volunteer shift. DanielK will be posting more details on dinner.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To save you a click, here's the same info from the thread linked above:

We're confirmed for Thursday, September 18 at 5pm!!

Here are the details I received from DC Central Kitchen:

"We are excited to have you join us on September 18th in combating hunger and creating opportunity! As a volunteer, you will work alongside the men and women who have graduated from our culinary job training program to prepare the four thousand meals that DC Central Kitchen donates each day to more than one hundred community agencies. Kitchen task include chopping vegetables, sorting fresh produce, mixing salads, Portioning meals, de-boning meat and assisting with other tasks vital to operating a ten thousand square foot community kitchen."

Please arrive at 4:45 pm for a prompt 5:00 pm orientation.

Adherence to the following dress code is required:

* Long pants

* Closed-toed shoes (no sandals)

* Tank-tops are not allowed.

* No exposed midriff

* Locker space is limited, so please try to travel light.

DC Central Kitchen is located at 425 Second Street , NW.

Directions: The D.C. Central Kitchen is located on the ground floor of the Federal City Shelter at 425 Second Street NW. The Federal City Shelter is a three story gray building on the southeast corner of Second and E Streets NW. Please note that the Central Kitchen cannot be entered from Second Street . The entrance to the Central Kitchen is at the back of this building, down the service road off of E Street NW and is marked by a large sign. It looks like a service/delivery entrance.

Parking: Parking at DC Central Kitchen is not available; public transportation is recommended. Parking options include metered street parking, parking at Union Station and the parking garage off of First street between D street and E street.

Taking the Metro: Take the Red Line to the Judiciary Square stop. Exit onto Fourth Street NW , and turn around at the top of the escalator. Walk to E Street NW and take a right onto it. Stay on E Street, crossing 3rd St. and 2nd St. Turn right onto the service road, just behind the building.

The current list of volunteers:

DanielK

DonRocks

goldenticket +1

cleveland park

Al Dente

Walrus

Merry Mary

squidsdc +1

goodeats

porcupine

brettashley01

SeanMike

mdt

susanmab +1

NCPinDC

b john

rislacoste

zoramargolis

rkduggins

turbogrrl

beachgirl54

xcanuck

Marks +1

If you'd still like to sign up, please post or PM me.

There are also plans for dinner following the 5-8pm volunteer shift. DanielK will be posting more details on dinner.

I'm working on the plans, but you MUST send me a PM if you plan on joining us for dinner. I will book based on the headcount of people who have sent me PMs, so please send those along ASAP.

Can anyone give me a ride from Arlington? I won't be able to leave work early enough to be there at 5 pm if I'm taking public transport, and Tripewriter is no longer going to be joining us. No worries if no rides are available -- we'll just plan on next time!

Updated list of volunteers:

DanielK

DonRocks

goldenticket +1

cleveland park

Al Dente

Walrus

Merry Mary

squidsdc +1

goodeats

porcupine

brettashley01

SeanMike

mdt

susanmab +1

NCPinDC

b john

rislacoste

zoramargolis

rkduggins

turbogrrl

beachgirl54

xcanuck

Marks +1

hm212

cjsadler

If you'd still like to sign up (or are no longer able to join us on the 18th), please post or PM me.

With thanks to coordinator Ris Lacoste, and the lovely event folks at ThinkFoodGroup, I am happy to announce that the post-DCCK dinner will be

The Private Room at Oyamel!

Read carefully - lots of information to follow.

The menu is below - the cost is $35/person + tax/tip. I compute this as about $46, we will NOT be paying in advance via PayPal, and credit cards will not be taken in our room, so bring CASH. We will have two checks - one for the food shared equally amongst all attendees, and a SINGLE separate check for drinks. If you plan on drinking, contribute fairly, and bring MORE CASH.

So, here's the entire signup process: just send me a PM if you are in. You must send me a PM, even if you sent one before - the first round was just to judge headcount, and now I will start counting for the actual attendance. I need to submit the final headcount the day before, so you MUST send me a PM by 2pm on Wednesday the 17th if you want to join for dinner, and earlier than that would be very helpful.

Since we have the private room, we can hold up to 45. So everyone attending the DCCK event can join, and we have plenty of room for +1s. If there are seats available after all of the DCCK participants have claimed their spots, I will discuss with Don opening up seats to the general board population.

If you have any questions, post em here or hit me with a PM. I did not query about allergies, vegetarian options, etc., so let me know if we need to ask about accomodation.

Without further adieu, the menu! The dinner will be served family-style - you don't have to choose from each course.

Starter

Guacamole

1st Course

Ceviche de salmón con maracuya (Salmon ceviche served with passion fruit and epazote herb oil)

Gaspacho estilo morelia (From the historic city of Morelia, a salad of jicama root, mango, cucumbers, jalapenos and mexican sour orange)

Uchepos fingidos de michoacan (Fresh corn tamal with chihuahua cheese and a sauce of gujillo chili, tomatoes, onions and garlic)

2nd Course

Taco de cochinita pibil con cebolla en escabeche (Yucatan-style pit barbecued pork with pickled red onion and mexican sour orange)

Albondigas enchipotladas con queso doble crema (Meatballs in chipotle sauce with crumbled double cream cheese and cilantro)

Cayo de hacha con salsa de pepitas de calabaza (Seared scallops with pumpkin seed sauce, pumpkin seed oil and toasted pumpkin seeds)

Nopal asado con salsa molcajete (Grilled fresh cactus paddles served with a salsa molcajete of grilled tomatoes, tomatillos, green onions, cilantro and green chiles.)

3rd Course

Pastel de chocolate con crema de mole poblano y helado de vanilla (Warm chocolate cake with a cream of mole poblano sauce and a froth of spiced mexian hot chocolate, sprinkled with crushed peanuts, corn nuts and cocoa beans. Served with a scoop of home-made vanilla ice cream.)

Pastel de tres leches con piña (A traditional cake soaked in myers rum and three kinds of milk, with a rum and milk foam, fresh pineapple gelatin and a pineapple salsa. Served with a scoop of dark caramel ice cream.)

So, here's the entire signup process: just send me a PM if you are in. You must send me a PM, even if you sent one before - the first round was just to judge headcount, and now I will start counting for the actual attendance. I need to submit the final headcount the day before, so you MUST send me a PM by 2pm on Wednesday the 17th if you want to join for dinner, and earlier than that would be very helpful.

Help me out here - did I way overestimate the interest in a $35 4-course meal? I have a grand total of 4 RSVPs for this dinner, which I'm going to have to cancel tomorrow if we don't get a whole bunch more pronto.

Help me out here - did I way overestimate the interest in a $35 4-course meal? I have a grand total of 4 RSVPs for this dinner, which I'm going to have to cancel tomorrow if we don't get a whole bunch more pronto.

You have got to be kidding me?! 4 RSVPs out of 25 people? ;):lol:

Tomorrow is the big day. You should have received a PM from me if you are on the list of people who are volunteering at DCCK tomorrow night. If you didn't get a PM and you are planning to be there, please PM me so I can add you to the list and get you the details.

Thanks to everyone who has signed up!

Hello volunteers - I hope you're all looking forward to this evening (I am)! Just one last reminder to please be on time - arrive at 4:45pm for a 5:00 pm orientation, this will let us use most of our time doing productive work. Also, bring a baseball cap if you think of it. If you don't, hairnets will be provided (and required).

See you soon!

Thanks for a wonderful and memorable evening and a special thanks to all of the volunteers, especially goldenticket, danielK, Whitt, rislacoste, and Oyamel for all they did to make this all happen. Pictures are coming later as I must go out of town very early in the am. (I think I might (might) have one of Rocks in a DCCK hairnet, so stay tuned.)

(Still thinking about that salmon ceviche, yum....)

This was such a great opportunity and I hope we can do it again. Chopping potatoes is a great way to relieve frustration and has a quite meditative effect.

(I would like to know who recommended me to create flyers. Oh pick the cute little girl- she can't handle a knife? :lol: )

Anyway looking forward to the next time!

Thanks to the 25 or so people that came out to chop potatoes and green beans and skim chicken stock (it smelled SO good)! A good time was had by all, while doing some really good work for an amazing organization. Thanks also to all those already mentioned, as well as pax - and most especially those little lambs - for her generous donation that got the ball rolling.

Let's make this a regular thing! I'd like to set up a specific (monthly) shift with a certain number of slots (10?) that is available for DR.com volunteers. No regular commitment required, just advance sign-up for the particular shift you would like to work in a certain month. Let me know if this is something you're interested in and I'll get things lined up. And you're always welcome to go and volunteer as an individual - there are many different shifts at various days and times. You can sign up at the DC Central Kitchen website.

Thanks to the 25 or so people that came out to chop potatoes and green beans and skim chicken stock (it smelled SO good)! A good time was had by all, while doing some really good work for an amazing organization. Thanks also to all those already mentioned, as well as pax - and most especially those little lambs - for her generous donation that got the ball rolling.

Let's make this a regular thing! I'd like to set up a specific (monthly) shift with a certain number of slots (10?) that is available for DR.com volunteers. No regular commitment required, just advance sign-up for the particular shift you would like to work in a certain month. Let me know if this is something you're interested in and I'll get things lined up. And you're always welcome to go and volunteer as an individual - there are many different shifts at various days and times. You can sign up at the DC Central Kitchen website.

You did a great job organizing this, and sending out reminders and directions to everyone. Kudos to you! I mentioned to Ris last night at dinner that I was wishing that I could have swapped jobs with someone after an hour or so. After cutting the tips off the third humongous bin of green beans, I was thinking "Oh, for an onion to chop right now." But, really cutting some potatoes would have been a welcome change, too. What about creating a "station-swap" half-way through the shift? I'd be more likely to want to come back and volunteer again.

What about creating a "station-swap" half-way through the shift? I'd be more likely to want to come back and volunteer again.

As a reference point, the last time I volunteered at DCCK, I was put to work chopping peppers, then opening cans of collards, then making soup.

Has anyone volunteering during the day, how was that?
I've volunteered on Sunday mornings and have done a lot of chopping (onions, potatoes, cucumbers) followed by assembly of these items into dishes to be cooked/served onsite at facilities served by DCCK. This has included combining the potatoes and onions with herbs and oil for roasting; making ham and cheese sandwiches; and making salad trays that combined the cukes with carrots, onions, and tomatoes that had been chopped by other volunteers.

I saw some of the same staff last night that I've worked with on the weekend. Chef Jerald runs the kitchen on those days and he's great to work with too. I think you get lunch if you do a morning shift during the week; weekends there are usually muffins and coffee provided for the break.

Anyone up for another DR.com night at DCCK?

I'm actually glad to say that the evening Co-op shift has become their most popular event; however, it does mean they're booking solid THREE MONTHS in advance!

The next shift we can get 10+ volunteers at is late April: Monday 4/20, Thursday 4/23, or Friday 4/24.

Post here (or send me a PM) which shifts you can do, and if we can get at least 10 names for one of the dates in the next couple of days, I'll book it.

I'm actually glad to say that the evening Co-op shift has become their most popular event; however, it does mean they're booking solid THREE MONTHS in advance!

The next shift we can get 10+ volunteers at is late April: Monday 4/20, Thursday 4/23, or Friday 4/24.

Post here (or send me a PM) which shifts you can do, and if we can get at least 10 names for one of the dates in the next couple of days, I'll book it.

Daniel,

I just signed up last night for tomorrow night's shift - looking forward to my first time volunteering.

Any advice or insights in advance?

And any suggestions for folks who want to help but usually can't get out of work and over to the DCCK before 5 PM on weeknights?

I'll check with Mr. S on what day is best, but we definitely want to participate again. We were fortunate enough to snag a shift on the day after Christmas, but haven't had a chance to schedule another since then. Thanks for organizing!

Any advice or insights in advance?

And any suggestions for folks who want to help but usually can't get out of work and over to the DCCK before 5 PM on weeknights?

Bring a baseball cap so you don't have to wear a hairnet :P

Wear comfortable shoes and clothes. You might spend the whole shift cleaning and chopping cucumbers or carrots, or you may get to do several different things over the course of the shift. Whatever you do, it's always a fun and rewarding way to spend a couple of hours.

The best suggestion for those who can't make weeknights is to look into the weekend morning volunteer shifts - Sat and Sun from 9 am - 12 pm. It has been really hard to find any open spots -I guess that's a good thing!

I'm definitely interested in volunteering again!

If there is enough interest, it may be that we could arrange for an evening sooner than April if we work directly with the volunteer coordinator.

If there is enough interest, it may be that we could arrange for an evening sooner than April if we work directly with the volunteer coordinator.

Their signup system is on the web and completely transparent - it shows how many spots are booked for every shift. I will go through the volunteer coordinator, but the first thing they tell you is find a date that has spots available on the website, and then they can block them off for you.

Thursday the 23rd is good.

Their signup system is on the web and completely transparent - it shows how many spots are booked for every shift. I will go through the volunteer coordinator, but the first thing they tell you is find a date that has spots available on the website, and then they can block them off for you.
Well, it's definitely not fail-proof though, as I recently signed up online, only to be told that the signup date online was an error and there was actually no shift that day. I know that you know the system well DanielK, having volunteered numerous times, but I'm the "just to be safe" type of person too. :P

I went ahead and reserved 10 slots for Thursday, April 23rd.

By my count, here are the folks that were either in or interested:

DanielK

squidsdc +1

goldenticket

brettashley01

hm212

susanmab

xcanuck

Marks

goodeats

There are still 10 open slots for that date available, so if there is interest, I can expand the number.

I'd like to participate. I saw the schedule (between 5-8 PM). Will there be any kind of eating chance or we go somewhere to eat together after volunteering?

I'm not planning anything special like we did last time (someone else can feel free to if they want), but I typically wander over to the Dubliner for a couple of pints and some food after a shift.

I went ahead and upped the headcount to 12. So we now have one open slot. I can get up to 6 more if there's interest, but those spots will eventually vanish, so don't take too long if you're interested...

DanielK

squidsdc +1

goldenticket

brettashley01

hm212

susanmab

xcanuck

Marks

goodeats

grover

SeanMike

rkduggins

Bump!

Just checking in to make sure everyone reserved this date on the calendar. Just over 2 weeks away, so if you can't make it, say the word now so we can find someone else to take the spot.

I'm not planning anything special like we did last time (someone else can feel free to if they want), but I typically wander over to the Dubliner for a couple of pints and some food after a shift.

DanielK

squidsdc +1

SeanMike

goldenticket

brettashley01

hm212

susanmab

xcanuck

Marks

goodeats

grover

rkduggins