DC Central Kitchen Night - Weds, June 13 - 5PM

goldenticket

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, some news about upcoming DCCK nights.

First of all, the session I had reserved on 11/10 was cancelled. That's now the night of Capital Food Fight, so DCCK is understandably closed.

However, they have now opened up the 5p-8p shift to 5 nights/week. Now, I'm happy to keep scheduling Mondays and Thursdays, because those nights are good for me. However, those of you who are regulars, or who might become regulars if we had a different night, please send me a PM. I'm going to schedule a backup for November, but I'm also going to go book a bunch for 2012, so let me know if I should be considering other days than Mon/Thurs.

Hi.. I am obviously missing a lot re DR's activities. I don't -log in on this site often (lack of time), however, there are some activities I would like to be involved with; what are the chances to have this info sent to my e-mail nena.cooks1@yahoo.com, I could read any updates on my bb. (only if possible)! :unsure:

Thanks,

Nena

Hi.. I am obviously missing a lot re DR's activities. I don't -log in on this site often (lack of time), however, there are some activities I would like to be involved with; what are the chances to have this info sent to my e-mail nena.cooks1@yahoo.com, I could read any updates on my bb. (only if possible)! :unsure:

Thanks,

Nena

FWIW, and notwithstanding the different challenges with dr.com's web platform, it renders decently well on a blackberry. I use it that way pretty often. Same url--not even a mobile version.

I think if you click the "Watch Topic" button at the top of the page, there's a way to get the system to send you an email when there's a new post in this topic.

Anyway I would like to work at DCCK in Nov or Dec. I will check back later for responses, in the meantime, Have all a good day!

So, some news about upcoming DCCK nights.

First of all, the session I had reserved on 11/10 was cancelled. That's now the night of Capital Food Fight, so DCCK is understandably closed.

However, they have now opened up the 5p-8p shift to 5 nights/week. Now, I'm happy to keep scheduling Mondays and Thursdays, because those nights are good for me. However, those of you who are regulars, or who might become regulars if we had a different night, please send me a PM. I'm going to schedule a backup for November, but I'm also going to go book a bunch for 2012, so let me know if I should be considering other days than Mon/Thurs.

Oh! <_< I didn't read this message.

Well count me in for 2012, Mondays and Thursdays, after 4:45 pm.

Hi, guess what time it is again?

Two weeks out, so it's time to start collecting names for the December volunteer event. Who's in? No kitchen experience necessary. And for those of you with teens who need community service hours, DCCK is on most of the pre-approved lists, and the minimum age is 12.

Monday, December 12, 5p-8p (15 spots)

DanielK +1

anhdeluxe +1

Post here or PM to join the group. Suggestions for post-DCCK meal always welcome; the default seems to be Taylor Gourmet or Toki Underground if other plans don't surface.

Bump. Still 6 spots left.

Two weeks out, so it's time to start collecting names for the December volunteer event. Who's in? No kitchen experience necessary. And for those of you with teens who need community service hours, DCCK is on most of the pre-approved lists, and the minimum age is 12.

DanielK +1

anhdeluxe +1

hm212 +2

goldenticket

nenadaves

Post here or PM to join the group. Suggestions for post-DCCK meal always welcome; the default seems to be Taylor Gourmet or Toki Underground if other plans don't surface.

Bump, because we're a week out (when I typically give spots back to DCCK), and our little "outage" over the weekend moved things around a bit. Only 1 spot left!

DanielK +2

anhdeluxe +2

hm212 +2

goldenticket

nenadaves

laniloa

ol_ironstomach +1

Thanks for organizing DanielK! My friend and I had a lot of fun, although I have to say that I probably had the best job, making pie crust and cookies instead of breaking down the raw chicken... Looking forward to more good times in 2012. FYI, we ended up going to Luke's Lobster for my favorite lobster rolls afterward. - another option when the wait at Toki seems overly long...

It was good timing that Tim Carman's update about Chef Rock was posted yesterday. Good to see he's jumping in with both feet.

Rahman “Rock” Harper was abruptly thrust onto the spotlight in 2007 when he

survived the heat of “Hell’s Kitchen” — and the snarling Scottish terrier who runs the place — and won Season 3 of the reality-show sweatshop. For his efforts, Harper was awarded a one-year deal to run a resort restaurant just outside of Las Vegas.

It didn’t quite work out the way Harper expected, nor did the next two gigs after that Sin City fizzle, but the chef believes he’s found the perfect job for him for the time being: director of kitchen operations for

D.C. Central Kitchen, the non-profit that feeds, educates and strives to save thousands from chronic homelessness, poverty and crime.

“I love challenges, and I love doing things that are sort of not necessarily the normal things, or not what everybody else is doing,” says Harper, a 34-year-old Alexandria native who had to step down from the DCCK board to take the new job. (Incidentally, long-time DCCK employee Marianne Ali used to hold down the kitchen, among other responsibilities, but she’s now focused exclusively the

Culinary Job Training Program and outreach.)

“I love the kitchen and what they’ve done over the past 21, 22 years,” continues Harper. “And for me to be able to see where I can take it, to build on what’s already been done, to me is truly exciting. It’s a unique opportunity for me to take this thing to another level, which what is that? It’s not a restaurant level. It’s not going to end up on the front of some foodie magazines.”

“He’s only been in charge for a couple weeks, but I’m already seeing exactly what I was hoping for,” notes Michael Curtin, CEO of DCCK. “We are always looking for creative ways to be more efficient and more effective. Sometimes a new pair of eyes goes a long way. There is ‘thinking out of the box’ on one hand, but the box we have, this kitchen, is the box we have. What I am asking Rock to do is help us build a better box."

<snip>

Harper will be the first to tell you that he’s a restaurant guy at heart. He says he likes “people coming in the doors and serving them and seeing them smile on the way out. That’s who I am.” But he believes he can find satisfaction in the new job by, perhaps, serving restaurants in another way — by selling them stocks, sauces and other items produced at DCCK’s kitchen.

It’s a plan that Curtin has been cooking up.

DCCK “could be a source for a consistent stock or diced vegetables for different restaurants or food service operators around the city or close to us,” Harper says.

The idea has its roots in a problem that bothers Curtin: DCCK occasionally has to order vegetables when local farms are still disposing of hundreds of pounds of unused veggies. “So maybe in the summer, if we want mixed vegetables, why can’t we take 800 pounds, 1,000 pounds of green beans, 800 pounds of carrots and dice ’em up ourselves? Shuck the corn ourselves? Shuck the peas and make our own bags of vegetables? We should never buy them,” Harper says.

That application could then be expanded to cater to restaurants, the DCCK team believes.

“Tomatoes, we can get them by the ton, so we should be making our own tomato sauce and stockpiling it over the winter,” Harper says. “What opportunities that leads to in the future, who knows? That’s part of [Curtin’s] vision, and I strongly believe that I can do that in a very short amount of time.”

Mr. Carman's post included a photo of Chef Rock by Paul Day:

chefrock1282011-2.jpg?uuid=RLkg9CH8EeGjTnHUv2uNCg

Welcome to the 2012 series of DCCK volunteer shifts!

I haven't reposted the instructions and directions in a while, so they're at the bottom of this post, along with all of the volunteer dates for the year. I post about each date 2 weeks out, and give back any unclaimed spots a week out.

Who's in for January? My youngest is now 12, so she's old enough to come along. That means I'll be +2 pretty often this year!

Thursday, January 26, 5p-8p [10 spots]

DanielK +2

qwertyy

laniloa

nenadaves +1

goldenticket

anhdeluxe +1

Mon Feb 20

Mon Mar 26

Thurs Apr 12

Mon May 21

Wed Jun 13

Mon Jul 16

Wed Aug 22

Mon Sep 17

Thurs Oct 16

Mon Nov 12

Wed Dec 19

We are excited to have you join us in combating hunger and creating opportunity! As a volunteer, you will work alongside the men and women who have graduated from our culinary job training program to prepare the five thousand meals that DC Central Kitchen donates each day to more than one hundred community agencies. Kitchen tasks include chopping vegetables, sorting fresh produce, mixing salads, portioning meals, de-boning meat and assisting with other tasks vital to operating a ten thousand square foot community kitchen."

Please arrive no later than 5:00 pm for orientation.

Adherence to the following dress code is required:

* Bring a hat, or they will provide a hairnet

* Long pants

* Closed-toed shoes (no sandals)

* Tank-tops are not allowed.

* No exposed midriff

* Locker space is limited, so please try to travel light.

DC Central Kitchen is located at 425 Second Street , NW.

Directions: The D.C. Central Kitchen is located on the ground floor of the Federal City Shelter at 425 Second Street NW. The Federal City Shelter is a three story gray building on the southeast corner of Second and E Streets NW. Please note that the Central Kitchen cannot be entered from Second Street . The entrance to the Central Kitchen is at the back of this building, down the service road off of E Street NW and is marked by a large sign. It looks like a service/delivery entrance.

Parking: Parking at DC Central Kitchen is not available; public transportation is recommended. Parking options include metered street parking, parking at Union Station and the parking garage off of First street between D street and E street. [Note from Daniel - for evening shift, there are a limited number of spots in the lot behind the building, but they are not always available]

Taking the Metro: Take the Red Line to the Judiciary Square stop. Exit onto Fourth Street NW , and turn around at the top of the escalator. Walk to E Street NW and take a right onto it. Stay on E Street, crossing 3rd St. and 2nd St. Turn right onto the service road, just behind the building.

Time to gather names for the next DR.com volunteer session! This one is on a Federal Holiday - Presidents Day - so maybe that gives some of you who normally can't do a weekday session at 5p a chance to join?

Monday, February 20, 5p-8p [10 spots]

DanielK +2

darkstar965

nenahdaves

goldenticket

laniloa