Flippin' Pizza, A California Chain in Several Area Locations

I was driving through the South Lakes Shopping Center earlier tonight, and noticed that Seafoodie has closed.

In it's place is now "Flippin' Pizza" (complete with image of tossed pizza dough in mid air), which offers "A Slice of New York" according to the sign. Doubt it's as good as Tony's in Fair Lakes, or Church St in Vienna. Anybody been yet?

I was driving through the South Lakes Shopping Center earlier tonight, and noticed that Seafoodie has closed.

In it's place is now "Flippin' Pizza" (complete with image of tossed pizza dough in mid air), which offers "A Slice of New York" according to the sign. Doubt it's as good as Tony's in Fair Lakes, or Church St in Vienna. Anybody been yet?

No surprise about Seafoodie. I always wanted to but never tried it - for the simple reason that everytime I went in to peruse the offerings the display case was mostly bare save for a few sad looking shrimp. This may be a good sign for some (high turnover?) but I always assumed the worst - low turnover and poor quality. However, I did hear that Seafoodie's "famous" crabcakes are now being sold at area Whole Foods.

Enough about the departed. I live across the lake from South Lakes Shopping Center and plan to try Flippin Pizza this weekend with my stepkids. We are fans of Tony's and the Italian Store, so it has a fairly high bar to meet. I'll report back.

There's a Flippin' Pizza about to open in Annandale, in the same shopping center where the Whole Foods used to be.

Their website really pushes the New York aspect of their pizza, but from what I can see, it appears to be a California-based chain.

Cheers,

Rocks

The Annandale location opened this week, the third new restaurant to open in Pinecrest Shopping Center during the past month (giving Foxfire Grill some much-needed competition).

I tried Flippin' Pizza a few weeks ago out of curiosity. I won't be back, it was quite horrendous.

The interior of the restaurant is riddled with signage of stereotypical New York "wiseguy" schtick, example "You wanna piece of of me?" [pizza] or "I'm gonna make you a pizza you can't refuse."

sigh.

The pizza is bland & dry, the crust tastes like the dough is probably frozen- very poor quality ingredients. Dominoes is better, although I'd much rather drive to Tony's in Fair Lakes or Church Street in Vienna.

In Bethesda, at the Old Georgetown Rd and Democracy Blvd shopping center [w/Giant, DSW & Hamburger Hamlet] there's a sign in one of the interior spaces with the mid-air pizza. Bummer that the early reports are so dim.

This location is still at the dry-wall stage.

I tried Flippin' Pizza a few weeks ago out of curiosity. I won't be back, it was quite horrendous.

The interior of the restaurant is riddled with signage of stereotypical New York "wiseguy" schtick, example "You wanna piece of of me?" [pizza] or "I'm gonna make you a pizza you can't refuse."

sigh.

The pizza is bland & dry, the crust tastes like the dough is probably frozen- very poor quality ingredients. Dominoes is better, although I'd much rather drive to Tony's in Fair Lakes or Church Street in Vienna.

Their dough is fresh and made in house.

Let me guess: you ordered a slice not a whole pie. The whole pie is a very good neighborhood pizza. But ONLY a whole pie. The slice could have had the whole day to "mature."

Their dough is fresh and made in house.

Let me guess: you ordered a slice not a whole pie. The whole pie is a very good neighborhood pizza. But ONLY a whole pie. The slice could have had the whole day to "mature."

HMMM. My experience has been limited. I've been in twice to get slices for takeout, and both slices were quite fresh and quite wonderful. On the other hand, I'm not a pizza snob...

Looks like one is opening in Chantilly next to the Shoppers.
Also on Colesville in downtown SS next to the Qdoba and M&T bank in the building just south of Georgia that had Carolina Kitchen in it before the fire.

Got a whole pie with pepperoni, sausage, onions, and garlic. I only ate 3 slices and the rest of the pizza is sitting in my car (I've left the sunroof open and the windows cracked, all in the hopes that when I go home after work, the car won't smell too strong). I think the pizza is pretty good, as good as Church St. Pizza. They use small pepperoni (I prefer big slices of pepperoni that gets crunchy during the baking process). I personally like Flippin more than Pietanza.

In any case, I see there's a space on Broad St in Falls Church announcing a soon to come branch.

Ate there for lunch today; $5.50 for any 2 slices and a soda is a pretty decent price.

It was good, not great. It's definitely a NY style pie. The dough is fresh, and the pie was well cooked with good char and blister. However, they rise the dough in water, not oil, so the crust is too dry. Sauce was fine; not sweet, which is good, but could have been a bit spicier. Toppings were fine though unexceptional.

Still need to get to Church Street for a comparison, but I'd certainly go back here, though I think JoeH's advice to get a whole pie rather than a slice is spot on. Plenty of parking in back.

Got takeout (from the Falls Church location) last night. Really just wanted to write the following -

Eh.

However, knowing that would be inadequate for this board, I'll elaborate by saying that I got "The Bronx" - basically a "supreme" pizza (veggies, sausage, pepperoni). Got a whole pie as per Joe's recommendation. The crust was good - appropriately thin (I'm a fan of NY style pizza), and with good flavor. Toppings were less impressive. The sausage was sliced (it may be just me, but I prefer chunks), the veggies had an odd, almost marinated flavor, and the cheese was a bit, I don't know, "weird," kind of like there was a little cheddar thrown in or something. All, in all, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, either. In sum, "eh."

The Centreville location just opened and I had a coupon for two free slizes with the purchase of a drink. I agree with the post above.

eh.

I had a slice of peperoni and sausage and a slice of some kind of white pizza with ricotta. The second slice was probably better but I would classify both as adequate. Tony's and Ciro's are both better.

Also on Colesville in downtown SS next to the Qdoba and M&T bank in the building just south of Georgia that had Carolina Kitchen in it before the fire.

And I saw one the other day near the Metro in Silver Spring.

Yes, you did. :rolleyes:

Flippin Pizza has won the Washingtonian blog thingy for DC's best pizza. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it deserves the honor, would have better gone to 2Amys or Ledo's or half a dozen other places..

Anyway I guess congratulations are in order for them, (even if they rigged the vote, like many people are claiming). So, Flippin', congratulations.

I had to go see for myself, I was thoroughly unimpressed, but I am snobby about pizza.

Here are some pictures-

post-2926-125261089537_thumb.jpg

post-2926-125261430387_thumb.jpg

post-2926-125261430493_thumb.jpg

Jason, it actually tastes similar to Church St Pizza, but a little better in my opinion (Flippin's sausage was real good).

The time I tried Flippin, they didn't cook the crust enough. It needed to be more crispy and a little burnt. Look at Pizza Man's photo. The crust looks pasty white. What is this, the midwest? Give me Potenza pizza instead!

The pasty, doughy, (flavorless, try some salt. Yeesh!) crust is also my biggest complaint. Thing is with the formula they are using; no sugar, olive oil,(check the web page, it's right there) and from what I can tell short fermentation times, combined with the low bake temp, (Castle deck ovens only reach 600 f) and the choice of cheese, the cheese would break into solids and oil before the crust could possibly brown or char completely. Pasty dough is more palatble then broken cheese, I think. Oh, I forgot to mention it took 10 minutes to bake the pizza in my photo- :rolleyes:

Also, Castle deck ovens are the black sheep of the pizza industry- no one uses them (well, flippin does). They are among the most inexpensive and most likely imbalanced ovens. The deck is absoluetly huge in these things.

The best New York pizza are made in coal ovens, (aside from DiFara's, he has mastered the deck oven).

I think Flippin' Pizza is ok. I also think Jumbo Slice is ok, especially after a few drinks.

I think Flippin' Pizza's strongest point is it's marketing department.

I'm always fascinated how worked up people get (myself included) over issues such as pizza slices. I suppose there's a lot of excitement that builds when driving the hot pie back home from the carryout, having the car fill with aroma of baked cheese & sauce. And the crushing disappointment when it's discovered, after the first bite, that the pizza blows.

This was my experience with Flippin' Pizza. Perhaps it was an "off" night, or an "off" pie, it happens. I think I'm also probably turned off by the cheesy (sorry for the pun) marketing. An ideal pizza, for me, is one served by a smiling owner who prides himself with his family business, and doesn't resort to lame catchphrases and other "schtick" efforts. Regardless, I'll never return to Flippin' Pizza, mostly because I've moved a short distance away from The Italian Store.

On a related note, has anyone tried Sal's Pizza in Ashburn? In the same shopping center with Bonefish & Original Steakhouse. This is what I look for in a pizzeria. The Owner, Sal, was at the register and was as gracious, hospitable & proud as any restaurant owner I've ever met. And the pizza was damn good too.

I'm tempted to get involved in this discussion but I NEVER, repeat NEVER, eat pizza by the slice. Not even on the Jersey Turnpike or at Ray's on Avenue of the America's where I ONCE did have a decent slice. My problem is that I have a great deal of respect for New York pizza (i.e. Grimaldi's, Una Pizza Napoletana, Totonno's, Patsy's, etc.). But at some point someone will start talking about a "slice." I just get lost in this conversation.

I went to Flippin' when it first opened and wrote about it. Fifteen, twenty, thirty more people went and every single one had a SLICE of pizza. I have no idea what a slice of pizza tastes like at this place/these places. Regardless, Flippin makes a decent New York style pizza. Living literally one mile from it I am indebted to the San Diego based owners for opening near me. Will it replace the original Ledo's in Hyattsville WHICH IS MOVING (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). No.

Is this a topic that even approaches the discussion of what will the original Ledo's in Hyattsville be like when it has moved? No. Is this a legitimate topic for discussion of the D. C. area's or even North Jersey's or Long Island's best strip shopping center pizzaria? No.

Why aren't we talking about Ledo's-the original iconic Ledo's-moving?

Joe,

If you look at my post on Flippin' a couple spots up, you will see the WHOLE pizza that I bought there. I suspect the reason it was so bad, is that they keep the single deck oven that they have at a low heat for the purpose of reheating SLICES, (their bread and butter?)

Also, if we were talking about the best pizza in DC, then we very well should be talking about Ledo's..

Can't speak on Mozza, never been there.

Una Pizza Napoletana had as much in common with "New York" pizza as you claim Pete's has with Wooster St. *edit* UPN is now closed by the way, look for him soon, possibly in San Francisco..

I love pizza!

Joe, thanks for the update about Ledo's moving from the original location. Haven't been there in a few years, but

now will definitely make a trip soon.

Since my original review of Flippin' when I ordered an entire pie, haven't been back.

Best pizza in DC? Nah.

Why aren't we talking about Ledo's-the original iconic Ledo's-moving?

Una Pizza Napoletana had as much in common with "New York" pizza as you claim Pete's has with Wooster St. *edit* UPN is now closed by the way, look for him soon, possibly in San Francisco..

I love pizza!

Word. (Although I had to pass up an opportunity to stop at American Flatbread last week when we were driving through Middlebury.)

These are some serious disturbances in the Force. UPN was superb, and a move to SF will not count as making it more convenient for me to get to. The pizza of my childhood is defined by the Adelphi Ledo's, and it's still our go-to place for irregular reunions with a handful of college pals. The franchise locations may have the crust, but never the garlic bread with its crusty cap of parm, nor were the grease cups ever as properly thick as at the original.

I'm gonna go sulk now. Pizza Man, we need more pie options!

The Flippin' in SS has been open for a couple of weeks now. It was pretty good, but nothing to send me over the edge (and yes, I've had both slices and a whole made to order pie). Compared to what else is available for pizza in downtown SS, I see myself adding it to my regular lunch rotation for the $5 two slice+a drink deal.

The amazing thing was that last night as I left work at 6:45, there was a line of about 40-50 people stretching up Colesville Rd. to the gas station waiting to get in.

We've ordered a couple of pies from the SS Flippin' and have been very pleased. I like cheese pizza with no toppings and theirs was about as good as I've had in this area. It's not Mia's or 2 Amys, but it's still pretty darn good, miles ahead of Z Pizza.

The whole pie is a very good neighborhood pizza. But ONLY a whole pie.

The pasty, doughy, (flavorless, try some salt. Yeesh!) crust is also my biggest complaint.

The (somewhat pasty, salt-deprived) crust is also my biggest complaint, and it becomes more evident as it cools.

But I have to say I'm in the Joe H camp on Flippin' Pizza - last night I ordered a whole Brooklyn (18", $18.00) which came with pepperoni, meatballs, mushrooms, and (a little too much) garlic, and I liked it perhaps as much as Tony's (I've been to Tony's twice in the past month, so my palate memory on it is pretty current). I've never had either by-the-slice, so I only have whole pizzas to go on.

Cheers,

Rocks.

After having lunch at Flippin' Pizza in Silver Spring today, I'd happily add it to my rotation. I went with the $5 two slices and drink deal, and was rather pleased. It wasn't without fault, though - my slice of the Brooklyn (which Rocks described above) was a little on the limp side, and the crust could, as mentioned, use some salt. It's also a bit doughy around the edges but - call me crazy - I enjoy that in a New York style pie. As far as I'm concerned, my slice of cheese (with the caveat that I have not had a lot of the other pies that have been mentioned in this thread) was one of the best attempts at New York utility pizza I've had outside of New York.

Is it the best pizza in the area? No. Is it pretty darn good, and a great deal at $5 for two slices of pizza and a drink? Very much yes, and when compared to other pizza options in the area (especially zpizza), it clearly comes out on top in my book.

As far as I'm concerned, my slice of cheese (with the caveat that I have not had a lot of the other pies that have been mentioned in this thread) was one of the best attempts at New York utility pizza I've had outside of New York.

Also coming soon to DC according to their website.

Cross-posting: it is good "get a quick slice" utility pizza and may taste even better with Nationals ballpark beer.

I tried four different "slices" tonight and none really did it for me. They weren't horrible, but I can't see myself going back either. The crust, while bland, was at least crispy-chewy and for me was the highlight of the pizza.

THERE WAS NO SAUCE TO SPEAK OF. I hate a pizza drowned in sauce, but there was literally no sauce.

My first bite of an Orso struck me as being almost shockingly salty ....

On a tangential note, I got a whole cheese pizza from Flippin' this week (I had worked out, I was starving, it was right there), and downed half of it. Two observations: it didn't really taste that salty, but a few hours later I was chugging water like someone who'd just been rescued at sea. When the pizza was freshly made it was okay (probably on a par with zPizza), but when it got cold it was just plain nastyssimo.

One of my quick-and-easy litmus tests for "what is, and isn't, truly good food" is ... is it still good when it gets cold? Orso is; Flippin' ain't.

Cheers,

Rocks

I've only had good experiences with Flippin'. Frankly, my wife and I think it's the only pizza worth ordering for delivery. (We live just within the delivery boundaries of the one on Little River Turnpike.) Given the abysmal competition, Flippin' is a godsend.

I do not consider the competition to include Pizzeria Orso, and I think the comparison is unfair. Orso is top quality stuff made by professionals for when you want pizza (pizze?) for dinner. Flippin' is what you get when you need to feed a pack of 12 year olds or you need something to eat at 9:00, but you can't leave the house because the kid's asleep. "Truly good food" it is not, but it is truly good pizza that someone will deliver to your door.

I've only had good experiences with Flippin'. Frankly, my wife and I think it's the only pizza worth ordering for delivery. (We live just within the delivery boundaries of the one on Little River Turnpike.) Given the abysmal competition, Flippin' is a godsend.

I do not consider the competition to include Pizzeria Orso, and I think the comparison is unfair. Orso is top quality stuff made by professionals for when you want pizza (pizze?) for dinner. Flippin' is what you get when you need to feed a pack of 12 year olds or you need something to eat at 9:00, but you can't leave the house because the kid's asleep. "Truly good food" it is not, but it is truly good pizza that someone will deliver to your door.

Bump. Old Georgetown Road location.

Turns out that Flippin' is the price winner (going by $/cu.in. for cheese or pepperoni) to Dominos/PJ/Besta/Manny's/Ledo's around here, so that's what we catered our kids' preschool picnic with. Eight XL pies square cut (they will do that for you) for 30 families and we just about nailed it.

Given a choice between Flippin' and ANY of the above, I won't blink before I come here.

best, R

Well put. Very happy to have flippin

and orso in fc