Breaking News - Mark Slater Joins Ray's

DonRocks

This evening, March 14th, 2009, marks the end of Mark Slater's illustrious tenure at Citronelle. The great sommelier, who accepted the national 2007 James Beard Award for Outstanding Wine Service, has chosen to take the next step in his long and storied career.

And congratulations to Citronelle for landing the outstanding talent Kathy Morgan, who worked previously at 2941 and Tosca, and who will be wearing the tastevin for Citronelle beginning next week.

There is a big, big Part Two to this story, which I am not yet at liberty to disclose, but which will become public knowledge in the next 24-72 hours. Suffice it to say that it's a happy ending for everyone, and that we'll all be seeing more of Mark in the immediate future.

Once again, congratulations to Mark, Kathy, and Citronelle. Stay tuned, and brace yourself...

There is a big, big Part Two to this story, which I am not yet at liberty to disclose, but which will become public knowledge in the next 24-72 hours. Suffice it to say that it's a happy ending for everyone, and that we'll all be seeing more of Mark in the immediate future.

Once again, congratulations to Mark, Kathy, and Citronelle. Stay tuned, and brace yourself...

The only way this will be a happy ending for "everyone" will be if Mark continues to make his enormous knowledge and experience and kind wisdom available to those of us in the DC metro area. But congratulations anyway, Mark [although I feel like this is Cassidy leaving Sundance].

The only way this will be a happy ending for "everyone" will be if Mark continues to make his enormous knowledge and experience and kind wisdom available to those of us in the DC metro area. But congratulations anyway, Mark [although I feel like this is Cassidy leaving Sundance].

Thank you all for the kind words and wishes.

John: I fully intend to up the ante:rolleyes: in the wine world in DC and beyond in a far more populist manner than my past would permit.

Thank you all for the kind words and wishes.

John: I fully intend to up the ante:rolleyes: in the wine world in DC and beyond in a far more populist manner than my past would permit.

Wow huge news! Certainly looking forward to seeing what you are going to do.

Congratulations!

This evening, March 14th, 2009, marks the end of Mark Slater's illustrious tenure at Citronelle. The great sommelier, who accepted the national 2007 James Beard Award for Outstanding Wine Service, has chosen to take the next step in his long and storied career.

And congratulations to Citronelle for landing the outstanding talent Kathy Morgan, who worked previously at 2941 and Tosca, and who will be wearing the tastevin for Citronelle beginning next week.

Congratulations to Mark, Mark you are the king, this is undisputed. Hope to see you in part two. Exciting!

Congratulations to Kathy!

Okay, it's official: Mark will become Director of Wine and Service at the Ray's family of restaurants beginning later this week.

Hopefully Mark or Michael will provide supporting details, but until then: Please don't just show up to Ray's The Steaks assuming Mark will immediately be working the floor (although he will be at some point). For now, I'm sure there is much behind-the-scenes work to be done.

Congratulations to Mark, Kathy, Citronelle, and Michael.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Wow to the maximum amount wow can go. When it was first leaked that Mark was leaving Citronelle, I figured that some superstar chef had made him an offer he couldn't refuse to relocate to Las Vegas, where there may still be $900 burgundy moving from celler to table. Landrum wins the jackpot!

From washingtonpost.com (size and emphasis mine):

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

Okay, I'm challenging this press release which went out today about this piece, which was posted at 5:09 PM (size and emphasis mine):

Date: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Subject: Citronelle's Mark Slater Moves to Ray's- The Washington Post First Reports

To: Molly Gannon <Molly.Gannon@wpost.com>

The Washington Post’s Going Out Gurus first report that after 11 years on the job, Mark Slater stepped down as sommelier and bar manager at Michel Richard Citronelle on Saturday night. His next move might surprise you. He'll be the director of wine and service for all of Michael Landrum's restaurants -- so that's Ray's the Steaks, Ray's the Classics and even those restaurants that are still in development (looking at you, Ray's the Catch).

From washingtonpost.com (size and emphasis mine):

Okay, I'm challenging this press release which went out today about this piece, which was posted at 5:09 PM (size and emphasis mine):

First, Congratulations to Mark on the great news. I always knew you were a populist. Second, a word to Donrocks: You should contact the Washington Post and ask them to correct their error. This was a clear donrockwell.com scoop. Third, questions: will there be a leak investigation? How did Rockwell get this scoop? Was the leak authorized or the information declassified?

I would love if these distinguished gentlemen opened a "wine cafeteria" of sorts. No frills, large space (maybe w/ patio or rooftop), back to the basics with an immense selection. Wine bars have become more about atmosphere than consumption IMO. Hurray for populism!

I would love if these distinguished gentlemen opened a "wine cafeteria" of sorts. No frills, large space (maybe w/ patio or rooftop), back to the basics with an immense selection. Wine bars have become more about atmosphere than consumption IMO. Hurray for populism!
Yeah -- Mike and Mark's "Winorama" :rolleyes:

It is more interesting to find great wine which have a great value than keep buying well-known (from everybody) expensive wines.

I am sure Mark will have at least more pleasure to find those wines .

Maybe he got tired of the wine's snob?

It is more interesting to find great wine which have a great value than keep buying well-known (from everybody) expensive wines.

I am sure Mark will have at least more pleasure to find those wines .

Maybe he got tired of the wine's snob?

WELCOME BACK, CHEF! :rolleyes:<_<:):lol::):lol::):lol::):lol:

Listen -- You hear that vast sucking sound in Georgetown? -- it's the sound of DC talent flying across the river to VA
It's music to my ears! This is wonderful! This makes Mark Slater much more accessible to me (and others) as I can count on one hand and have fingers left over my visits to Citronelle's, but Rays, I head to every chance I get after arriving at DCA!

I cannot imagine Citronelle without you Mark! You were an integral part of Michel’s family. You will be missed by a lot of friends over there. I wish you all the best in your new job!

Congratulations Citronelle, Kathy and Michael!

First, Congratulations to Mark on the great news. I always knew you were a populist. Second, a word to Donrocks: You should contact the Washington Post and ask them to correct their error. This was a clear donrockwell.com scoop. Third, questions: will there be a leak investigation? How did Rockwell get this scoop? Was the leak authorized or the information declassified?

It's because of the company I keep.

You need to stop doing these "fluff" pieces and get some gravitas.

Vino?