Present, Vietnamese in Falls Church - Chef Luong Tran in the Former Secret Garden Space

We drank the Kool-Aid - here and in Sietsma's review - and went today for lunch. Big disappointment.

As reported, the room is pleasant and staff are eager to please.

But the food was mediocre. The lattice-work Autumn Roll was tasteless, deep fried and nondescript. Even wrapping an outer layer of lettuce, mint, carrot and lotus root dipped in the sauce, it lacked flavor and dimension. The minced clam mash in the sesame cracker nest was the best part of our meal - though certainly nothing to return for. Enjoyed that one.

We took the bait on the deep fried fish. Way over done in the fryer, zero fish taste, like eating fried dough. Even with the ginger sauce poured atop, the fried fish was a big, big miss. We were bound to have been better off if we had the steamed version based on reports here. The smoked eggplant was an interesting presentation - white sections arrayed on a platter - but nothing noteworthy.

I should add we are fans of fried and Asian food (who isn't?) but recommended selections were below our expectations.

Not a horrible meal but its not one we will be repeating. Because of staff's sunny enthusiasm, we hope Present will improve to meet expectations fostered online and in WaPo.

We live close by, but just had never gotten around to going, and when the review came out decided we'd go before the rush. Well, we missed - last night it was slammed. Still very, very tasty. The Green Paradise Spring Roll was a hit, the Silken Shawl Imperial Autumn Roll was a big hit. Certainly not as tasteless as Wristband unfortunately experienced. Maybe Saturday lunch isn't the best time to go? I do agree that the minced clams were excellent.

First service problem due to the crowds - starters for three came out individually, not together, as also happened with dessert later, and I was at first given the wrong dish, but it was quickly replaced by the correct item.

Second service problem - entrees came out way too soon, before we had finished our starters.

The Country Banquet Vermicelli was also tasty - not exceptional, but was described as "pure comfort food," which is exactly what was wanted. Sleeping Duck on the Pond was a delicious soup - well, OK, tasty but nothing special until the hot sauce was added, which kicked it up into delicious. The duck leg on top was as tender and succulent as any confit, but the meat was not as well-seasoned as a confit; that doesn't make it bad but makes it less good than it could have been. Duck in Tamarind Basket was also very well cooked; the tamarind sauce was too sweet for my taste, but tamarind sauces often are. Cow on the Open Field was simple chunks of beef on a bed of onion and watercress; the beef was good as is, but drizzled with fresh lemon juice and dipped in the salt/spice mixture as instructed, and it became probably the hit of the evening. I was warned that it was hot, and afterwards told that some found it too spicy. I have no idea what they were talking about; it wasn't at all hot.

Caramel Custard is always a tasty dessert, but my aunt's flan sets a standard I've yet to match in any restaurant. Two were ordered, one forgotten. My ginger ice cream was delicious and full of fresh ginger flavor (as it should be, but isn't always). The bowl was too small for the amount of ice cream, which led to spillage over the side as it began to melt.

Beverages were a forgettable glass of wine and two excellent salted lemonades.

Overall, a very good meal. We weren't blown away, but we were impressed, and left quite happy and with every intention of returning. Service was the weak point; in addition to the specific mistakes mentioned above, there was a strong feeling that they were trying to speed up the pace of the meal, and there were tiny glitches throughout. Someone did make a point of apologizing, blamed it on being very busy, and suggested we give them another try on a weeknight. And everyone was very pleasant, helpful, and knowledgeable, just a bit overwhelmed.

Total bill: $98.96 for three starters, four entrees, three desserts, one glass of wine, two non-alcoholic drinks, and one coffee.

We'll definitely be back, probably on weeknights, and we'll be bringing others with us.

I don't know how things are supposed to be in Vietnamese restaurants but in Chinese restaurants, as long as the appetizers precede the main courses, that's all that can be expected. Since everything is shared, there's no expectation that all appetizers would arrive at the same time, or that all entrees would arrive at the same time.

I don't know how things are supposed to be in Vietnamese restaurants but in Chinese restaurants, as long as the appetizers precede the main courses, that's all that can be expected. Since everything is shared, there's no expectation that all appetizers would arrive at the same time, or that all entrees would arrive at the same time.
Generally speaking, if I'm in an Asian restaurant and want a leisurely meal, I order the apps and then ignore the menu until the apps have been served, and order main courses then. Interestingly, the servers never seem to mind; it seems as though they're programmed to serve dinner at lightning speed, but don't care if you prefer a more relaxed pace.

Yes, I've run into that at Asian restaurants before. But when an appetizer is two pieces - two autumn rolls, for example - and placed directly in front of one of three people at the table, I think there's less of an expectation of sharing. And when it's dessert, pre-made, simply plated and served cold, there's no reason to serve one at a time. Maybe it's not an error, but it's an annoyance.

We took a chance this morning, arriving a little before 11:30, and they weren't crowded yet, although things were humming along by the time we left.

One thing that I haven't seen pointed out by anyone is that the restaurant is not handicap-accessible. My first clue was the absence of any designated parking spaces. The only real problem for me was that the restrooms are in the basement, and the walk back up the stairs was more than I had planned on. But the restrooms themselves are not handicap-accessible or even very handicap-friendly. Folks who cannot navigate the stairs should get take-out (and have a friend go in to pick it up)!

Our food was delicious. We shared the Silken Shawl Imperial Autumn Rolls, and loved them. They are meant to be wrapped in the lettuce leaves with mint leaves and cucumber slices and shredded carrot & radish, and then dipped in the sauce. Eaten thusly, the interplay of textures and temperatures added to our enjoyment of the delicious rolls. Our other appetizer, the Jewel Green Papaya salad did not appear on cue (I think it went to another patron who had ordered it after we had), and I would have let it go but we needed the cooling aspect of the vegetables as our main dishes were significantly spicier than I expected.

Everyone has a different tolerance for hot peppers and one person's "a little bit spicy" could be another's "makes my nose run" spicy. The Gregarious Lemongrass Chicken was much spicier than lemongrasss chicken I've had at other Vietnamese restaurants, but it was nonetheless quite delicious. I'm also not very fond of sweet and sour dishes as a rule, but the Lightening Squid, with all of its fire and fruit, impressed me enough to wipe the droplets of sweat from my brow and forge ahead. When the salad was finally brought out, it was much-needed refreshment for my burning tongue. It, too, had chili pepper flakes in the vinaigrette dressing, but that was served on the side, so I could control the intensity.

I have to say a word about the shrimp chips: When I was a child, in the late '50s and early '60s, my mom's best friend was from Indonesia, and occasionally as a treat she would fry up some shrimp chips for us. I loved them! But I can see that they might be an acquired taste for some, and if they're not fairly fresh they're nothing special. I thought they were good at Present, especially as a vehicle for conveying the salad to the mouth. It added a textural element more than a flavor.

The owner was very gracious, checking in with each table and talking happily about how he had been a partner in the previous restaurant on the site, and became sole owner. He and the staff are justifiably proud of their chef, and I could tell by the way they talked about him.

I can't wait to go back and try more of their dishes!

The Gregarious Lemongrass Chicken was much spicier than lemongrasss chicken I've had at other Vietnamese restaurants, but it was nonetheless quite delicious.

I second this assessment, having just had this dish for the first time over the weekend. It's another great option in a restaurant full of great options.

Also, thanks to the review, it's worth noting that this place is no longer a secret, where you can stroll in at anytime and be seated right away. It was packed at lunchtime yesterday, with wait times up to 40 minutes. Moreover, the kitchen and staff are not yet prepared to deal with their new found fame, which resulted in some lapses in service (forgetting drinks, not knowing which tables got which food) and long wait times for the food (which they did apologize for). I imagine they'll work it out, and if they don't, it wouldn't stop me from going there anyway.

Even when we were there early on Sunday with only a few other tables occupied, the staff who brought out the food seemed very confused about where it was supposed to go. I'm sure this can be fixed fairly easily, but we need to mention it to management or they may not know about it.

Not enough to discourage me from returning!

I just went for supper tonight and hurt myself eating there! I'm not the only person in the world who ordered the 'Autumn Veil' crispy fried spring rolls, wrpped them in lettuce, took a bite, and promptly grated the roof of my mouth into hamburger, am I? Aside from my Canh Chua being far more spicy than sour, the rest of my meal was fine -- the ingredients were all really fresh and the flavors were there. It's just that my mouth is still sore. I'll go back but I know what I *won't* be ordering again...

Went there for lunch today and they couldn't open because of a water pipe break. The manager said I could mention it the next time I'm there and they're comp me dessert. Problem is, I never get as far as dessert here. I wonder if I can get a glass of wine instead...?

Went there for lunch today and they couldn't open because of a water pipe break. The manager said I could mention it the next time I'm there and they're comp me dessert. Problem is, I never get as far as dessert here. I wonder if I can get a glass of wine instead...?

No, but now 100 people are going to go in and ask about their comped desserts. :D

I don't know how the service has stood up to the crowds, but pre-Sietsema the service at Present was superb. I've eaten there only three times, but the second and third times the owner greeted me at the door with an enthusiastic "so good to see you again!" He and the other servers have patiently spent ten to twenty minutes helping us review the menu in detail and making recommendations about what to order.

It's a little sad to hear about the new crowded Present, but I've never been more in agreement with a three star review.

I'm not the only person in the world who ordered the 'Autumn Veil' crispy fried spring rolls, wrpped them in lettuce, took a bite, and promptly grated the roof of my mouth into hamburger, am I?

Hah, that happened to me too. Too crispy. Everything else was delicious, especially those tender sweet shaky cow.

Business was brisk today. Most of the front room was occupied at lunch today, I sat in the dining room next to the bar. Many servers were on hand although only the owner/manager noticed that my diet coke glass was empty. My order was taken quickly and the food arrive without undue delay- Mosaic Pathway was a delicious cellophane noodle dish with lump crab meat (I wouldn't say the crab meat taste was extremely noticeable), and the sauteed assorted vegetables portion is larger than my prior visit and tasted quite nice. They have home-cooking down for sure. I'll have to try more banquet stuff.

In honor of my B-I-L's 60th birthday I attempted to reserve a table yesterday for tonight. I spoke with Kevin who told me that if I called when i left my house, I could get a spot for our party of 5, which I did and was assured by the nice young lady who took my call that she had a table for us when we got there. Upon arrival I was greeted by confusion -- no record of my call or anything else, and I told the hostess that I had called not 5 minutes beforehand and been told that we would have a table. After about 10 minutes the hostess told me we would be seated in 15 minutes. And we were, on the patio, fine. 10 - 15 minutes later we received a full compliment of menus and the wine list.

We ordered some rolls for apps and the steamed fish and the adventurous bull. Our server informed us that on weekends they weren't doing the beef dishes -- too labor intensive, and he said that the only fish we could have steamed would be in the 4-5 lb weight category. We ordered a fried rice and pork dish to substitute for the absent beef.

The fish came out ginormous -- too big to fit on the plate and too big to be steamed properly. It was way over-cooked, tough, stringy and unflavored . The other items that we ordered were ok, the fried rice was very good, and a another shrimp dish with pineapple was also good, but the fact that the steamed fish was a looser and the beef stand out on the menu was unavailable on a weekend night speaks to the point that Present is not ready to operate prime time in the light of the 3 stars just rec'd from Sietsema.

I will be willing to go back after the excitement has died down, but i am very concerned that Present will only enjoy a flash-in-the-pan glory if it cannot get its act more together than what we experienced this evening.

We went for our first time after the review this afternoon, second time in all, and had a wonderful experience. The service was slow, but it was otherwise truly great - with a toddler at hand, we could not have asked for anything more. It seems that up until 3 weeks ago, the restaurant was busy for 4 to 5 hours a day, and now it is busy for at least 10. Every single day. We showed up at 4:30 and the place was hopping. We too wanted the steamed fish, but we were dissuaded by our waiter who explained that they did not have any smaller fish at the time. But, he pointed us to the clay pot catfish and a cellophane noodle dish, in addition to the spring rolls that were a done deal for us, and we enjoyed them greatly. I was very impressed by how well they were handling the publicity. It is a huge change for them and they could do what most places do which is flail without acknowledging that adjustment need to be made, but instead they seem to be really trying to live up to the responsibility placed upon them. That may mean a slightly more limited menu until they are ramped up correctly, but I wish more newly spotlighted restaurants would make that type of effort. Sure, if you want the best experience anywhere, you shouldn't go at a moment when you know that they are in shock, but if the attitude that I saw this evening continues, I have very high hopes for the future of Present.

I made the reservations just before I found out that the Post's (glowing, I was sure) review would come out a few days before my event. I worried that the restaurant wouldn't be able to handle the onslaught and thought about cancelling, but the developing menu had caught my imagination and we went ahead with the rehearsal dinner as planned. We spent more time with the manager talking over the menu than we did for our actual wedding!

I'd been a little concerned that the back tables wouldn't be private enough for a party, and there was an incident where some of our guests thought we were part of birthday party at the last big table (some interesting pictures were taken, as a result), but we mostly felt that we were in our own space and didn't bother (I think)/weren't bothered the other diners.

We ate the imperial rolls, fresh vegetarian rolls, the Thanksgiving duck, shaking beef, shrimp on pineapple, fried rockfish, spicy fried tofu, smoked eggplant in fish sauce, and finished up with fruit plates. Everything was carefully prepared (beautifully fried! deeply flavored! expertly seasoned! served hot! meat still tender and nary an overcooked bite!) and thoughtfully presented. Both tables were taken care of with attentive service. I can't say enough good things about the food, service, and atmosphere (we had many remarks on the shiny new, pretty interior). Our mostly out-of-town guests were delighted by the exotic banquet and we were allowed to play the carefree, beaming hosts for a perfect evening. The food was even better (more attention paid to the seasoning) than it had been in our last few sampling visits! I had been worried, but Present brought its A+ game and delivered fantastic results. Thanks to Austin, Kevin, and the whole team for taking such good care of us and making us all feel so welcome.

I'm going here for the first time tonight. I am by no stretch a picky eater. Any first timer recommendations from the board?

We went there for the first time last night. I noticed that they had 3 soft shell crabs on the menu, so I asked the waiter which was his fave. Turns out there was a 4th dish that he recommended: SSC in a tamarind sauce.

Usually I find Asian chefs use a heavy hand with tamarind, but I threw caution to the wind and ordered them. Very nice, the sauce was honeyed and just a touch of black liquorice.

We went there for the first time last night. I noticed that they had 3 soft shell crabs on the menu, so I asked the waiter which was his fave. Turns out there was a 4th dish that he recommended: SSC in a tamarind sauce.

Usually I find Asian chefs use a heavy hand with tamarind, but I threw caution to the wind and ordered them. Very nice, the sauce was honeyed and just a touch of black liquorice.

I found the tamarind duck dish to be overly sweet. The sauce was much more than a glaze and the duck was very messy to eat. Maybe SSCs are better at tempering the sweetness, or I just got a heavy-handed batch.

The only other warnings I have are that the unflavored tofu dish(es?) is very bland, though expertly fried, while the flavored tofu dishes are very strongly flavored and perfectly fine as a vegetarian entree; and the smoked eggplant is VERY smoky and is great as a side dish when paired with rice and something else - perhaps a meat dish.

Also, you can't get the Thanksgiving duck without asking in advance (it's not on the menu and takes a day to make).

Other than those warnings, seriously, everything is good. Just enjoy reading the flowery descriptions and don't be afraid to ask the staff for suggestions. They speak more than passable english and are happy to talk about the food.

Thanks for the tips. We ended up trying the Silken Shawl Imperial Autumn Spring Rolls, the Cow on the Open Field, and the Mosaic Pathway. Service was exceedingly slow (could have been because we were sitting outside?) but the evening was cool and comfortable, and despite Present's position in a past-its-prime strip mall on busy Route 50, relaxing and even tranquil. The waiter was very helpful in guiding our order. The appetizer was served almost immediately upon ordering. Eh....I would definitely try some of the raved about salads on my next trip. I spied a salad in a pineapple half that looked crazy good. The spring rolls were ok but I didn't think they had much flavor - more just an interesting texture and that was it.

On the other hand, the beef was perfectly cooked, tender, and was really kicked up by the salt/peper/spice mixed sauce, although I used it sparingly. My husband had the Mosaic Pathway, a mixture of cellophane noodles, crabmeat, and vegetables - all served in a cabbage leaf. He commented that the salty sauce served on the side did nothing for the dish - it was flavorful on its own.

One beer (that took 25 minutes to get to the table), one app, two entrees = $35 w/ tax plus $8 tip. We'll be back.

I realize I'm in a minority, but I continue to think Present is being extremely overrated. Last night, I went with a group of seasoned diners, one of whom is Vietnamese - his take on the restaurant: It's an unthreatening introduction to Vietnamese cuisine.

The appetizers were by far the best part of the meal:

Silken Shawl Imperial Autumn Roll - Cha Giò Re ($3.95)

Rainbows White Cloud - Bánh Bèo Chén ($5.95)

Jewel-Green Papaya - GoI Du Du Gan Chá ($9.95)

The papaya salad was the consensus favorite dish of the evening, as it was boldly and properly dressed by our Vietnamese tablemate. I really enjoyed the Rainbows White Cloud, but I'd never had anything quite like it before; the others at the table (correctly) felt it was bland, and weren't as impressed with the novelty. The wrapping for the Autumn Roll continues to be impressive.

The entrees reinforced my opinion that this restaurant does a very poor job with saucing:

Duck in Tamarind Basket - Vit Sot Me ($13.95)

Warm Heart Piglet - Tht Heo Kho Tiêu ($13.95)

Shrimp in the Golden Basin - Tôm Rang Trung Muoi ($18.95)

Roosting in Cauliflower Basket - Bông Cai Xào Tim Gan Gà ($12.95)

The shrimp was interesting, and the highlight of the four by a good margin although the extensive use of fish sauce makes it quite salty, and best to share with a group. The duck, which I've had before, is a terrible dish that reminds me of why I never order Chinese sweet-and-sour anything, and the cauliflower (which I've also had before and enjoyed) was ruined by a thick, gloppy brown sauce, and this time around was more broccoli than cauliflower - take away the organ meats, and you're left with strip-mall-Chinese nightmare hell. The caramel pork was cooked into oblivion, and its sauce was just too thin. I've had the caramel fish here before, and enjoyed that rendition much more - there's clearly a consistency issue going on in the kitchen at Present, which is to be expected at any restaurant open for lunch and dinner seven days a week.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I was able to try Present for the first time last week. Loved the space, and the staff. However, the entrees we shared (caramel fish and the soup with the blood - sorry, can't remember the fancy names) were unbearably salty. I couldn't really eat the fish because the taste of salt was so pronounced. I've had the same caramel fish dish at Minh's and loved it - much better than Present's version. The soup had a nice spice above the salt, and the portion is huge, but it became overwhelming very quickly. Minh's, being metro accessible, is much more convenient, and for my money, has better food.

The caramel pork was cooked into oblivion, and its sauce was just too thin. I've had the caramel fish here before, and enjoyed that rendition much more - there's clearly a consistency issue going on in the kitchen at Present, which is to be expected at any restaurant open for lunch and dinner seven days a week.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Don, was this Sunday? Tom's banquet was on Sunday and it had little in common with what nine of us experienced at dinner or what the seven of us had at lunch. The presence of the chef in this kitchen makes a huge difference. Now, if he is no longer there then that is quite another matter. But I've decided to avoid Present on Sunday and any other day that the chef might not be there.

Don, was this Sunday? Tom's banquet was on Sunday and it had little in common with what nine of us experienced at dinner or what the seven of us had at lunch. The presence of the chef in this kitchen makes a huge difference. Now, if he is no longer there then that is quite another matter. But I've decided to avoid Present on Sunday and any other day that the chef might not be there.

Joe, it was indeed Sunday evening.

Many people (r u there TK? :D) think of suburban ethnic restaurants as immune to inconsistency, but I've found this not to be true, as they often hinge on the kitchen work of one individual.

Interesting point about the chef being present (hey, that was a pun!). Maybe we can get a schedule...? Anyways, had lunch with a friend yesterday (Monday) and it was good, maybe not great. I hadn't tried the papaya salad before and it was very nice. Loved the liver jerky on it, but sort of wondered where the papaya was. Friend had the soft shell crab and offered me the first and the last bite. I had never considered the temporal quality of a dish before -- the first bite was very good, with the perfect crunchy texture and the right balance of crab flavor with the surrounding seasonings. But after 15-20 minutes of conversation, the last bite was a little more chewy and a little less crunchy, with a flavor of crab-going-bad coming through. My dish was the shaking beef (I forget the clever menu name) was good, with juicy, tender and flavorful chunks of beef, but I couldn't help thinking that the kitchen did not have to do major calisthenics to make this dish.

Had a fine meal the other day, and were pleased to walk in at around 12:30 on a Saturday and not have to wait....perhaps the review-led fervor has calmed down. Anyway, we ordered a couple dishes, and asked for them to be spicy. The dishes were prepared as usual, so to add the spiciness we requested, they simply slathered some kind of hot sauce on top. This was disappointing. Given our previous experiences there, I had expected some application of craft and nuance to make the dish bolder than usual...instead of what they did, which was to squirt a bunch of Rooster sauce (or whatever) on it. I should add that this also served to make the dish uneven, as each bite had differing amounts of hot sauce on it.

Tried two dishes today. 1. Fragrant River Vermicelli (Bun rieu), described as gumbo with crab paste and shrimp. I love this noodle soup (even though it's the first time I've had it) but it's not thick and it has some rather mysterious seafood paste (could be crab, could be fish, could be shrimp), fried tofu, blood cubes, and lots of tomatos. Not spicy but very flavorful. 2. Mushroom in the Field, described as stir fried mushrooms, okra and chicken intestines but the version I got was more like Roosting in Cauliflower Basket because my plate of stir-fry had heart, liver and gizzard but it's served with green peppers, mushrooms, some kind of squash and some kind of eggplant. The gizzards were crunchy - thus perfectly cooked. If you grew up eating this kind of stuff, you'll love this dish.

Description of bun rieu and photo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%BAn_ri%C3%AAu

Where to take the birthday boy who is not a big fan of "schmancy" dinners and whose favorite food is rice? Present.

The food, atmosphere and service were all wonderful. We didn't have anything not already described in the thread, but I did want to answer my own questions which made me hesitate before making our reservation:

"Is this place really special enough for a special occasion?" Yes.

"Is it really worth a trip out to the 'burbs?" Yes.

"Are you sure? Shouldn't I be spending more money on a birthday dinner?" No.

We made it to Present last night for a late night meal. Service was gracious but perhaps a little overly intrusive, but just a touch. We had:

Spring roll with the lacy overing. The technique was flawless: the outside crisp, greaseless and beautiful. Just one problem, not meat filling flavor. Note that Kay loved whis as she is turned off by the greasy experience elsewhere but even she admitted that the flavor of the meat filling lacking. For me a b-/c+, for Kay probably a-

Papaya Salad with Beef & Liver Jerky - the jerky itself was sublime and the dressing fantastic. But I thought there too much veggie for the amount of meat, but this does not take away from an excellent dish. a-/b+

Hard working (or was it warm hearted or was it just had a beer with Obama...) piglet. The one with the ribs in caramel sauce. Superb dish although heavy on the sweetness. We slurped up every drop of the sauce. The pork itself could ahve been stewed a touch longer butit was damned tasty int he sauce. Of course a tennis shoe stewed int hat sauce would ahve been fine. a+

Kay and I don't eat a huge amount of Vietnamese but we eat our share. This certainly is a very very good spot. It is very refined and that makes it impossible to compare with the more "greasy spoon" or "street food" style of places that I also think are very very good in a completely different style. But I would not even be willing to say it is the best in DC area, although it is in the league of the best. Clearly, that was the best pork rib in caramel sauce I have ever had. WIll be back to try more of the menu. Need to get to 4 Sisters too!

Had lunch for four on Saturday at Present. Service was attentive and pleasant. As always, the cha gio and the papaya salad were spot on. Girlfriend and I split the Fish Going Wild -- a supposedly 2.5 lb. steamed rockfish for $35. The flavor ws very good but the amount of meat on the bones was meager. There was far more onion than fish, but the sauce and the herbs and the onions, combined with rice, made for an overall nice, light lunch. Companions split the Country Road, which is duck in an orange sauce. I enjoyed one of the legs, and it was worth trying again as my main dish. This place continues to impress me regardless of when I go there.

Saturday at Present

Eight of us had dinner that night. Place was packed. My favorite was the shaking beef, especially in combination with the refreshing watercress. The Silken Shawl Autumn roll was excellent too, especially when wrapped in the lettuce.

On the other hand, the clay pot fish and pork ribs were both overcooked, even though the flavor was decent. One dish I'd definitely not order again was the Lightning Squid. Sauce was WAY too sweet, reminded me of bad Americanized sweet-and-sour Chinese dishes.

I haven't had Vietnamese food in 5+ years so my palate is quite unsophisticated but most dishes seemed enjoyable enough and we were pretty full for just over $20 per person. Can't wait to go back.

On the other hand, the clay pot fish and pork ribs were both overcooked, even though the flavor was decent.

Seconded, and I thought the sauce was a touch too sweet. Yet it was still pretty good. They've done something to the spicy tofu dish so it has become more sweet and sour than dusted with herbs and spices, but it is still very nice and the heavily lemongrass-y sauce is bright and delicious with rice. They were quite busy the night after Tday, and the space is as glossy and welcoming as ever. The service has also improved, with the servers being trained not to tell you, "oh, you won't like that" (for some of the less popular dishes) to describing the worrisome points and asking it is is OK :(

Dinner at Present last night was uneventful. I found the flavors to be bland overall although artistically presented and the dining room, beautiful. (I can't remember what I ordered as the food has odd names...like the pig nesting in country or some such thing). The service, in my one experience, leaves something to be desired. My water glass was left dry and although I wanted dessert, I was handed the check when our plates were cleared without being asked if we would like anything else.

I was there last night as well, NolaCaine, and also disappointed with the offerings. The #16 Gift From the Sea on a Fresh Haystack tasted unfortunately like something you would get from a Chinese takeout place. Gloppy, oversalted gravy with crunchy noodles and soggy shrimp, calamari, and veggies. I'm not quite sure what we were expecting when we ordered this, but what was delivered was not it. The Whole Fried Fish has gotten very pricy at $35 for the smallest offering, and what we got last night was not worth that price. Ours was underfried and not very meaty, but these factors were not nearly as offensive as the ginger sauce that comes with it, which I found completely overpowers any flavor you would derive from the fish.

I found the service to be friendly as always, though, and I love how welcoming the staff is when we stop in. I hope the food last night was an anomaly.

We hadn't been back in awhile, but wanted to have the Thanksgiving Duck again. Granted, we probably got more attention to our dishes since we had reservation and had ordered the duck ahead of time, but I still have to say that our meal, and the look of the meals of everybody around us, was fantastic. There was nary a gloppy brown sauce to be seen in the whole place, which was packed, with a line, most of Saturday night. The autumn rolls were light and crispy as remembered, and the duck is a dish that is worth every (considerable) penny. The presentation and then the taste is worthy of hosting guests (which we were) and the leftovers (2 quarts!) are just as good the next day...or 2. The Shaking Beef was tender with each piece still pink inside, and the spicy tofu still packs enough flavor to stand on its own as an entree. As good as our meal was, another table near us had the whole fried fish and some sort of beef concoction served in flaming bamboo "bowls" that looked delectable and disappeared quickly - we will be getting that meal soon!! The presentation of dishes is still very careful and imaginative, and the service has improved, which I think is impressive. It does help if you are sitting by the TV, which ensures that a parade of waiters and busboys sneaking glimpses of the game will be ever present to refill water glasses and take away dishes. Still, our server Kevin was friendly, welcoming, able to describe the dishes in detail, and very attentive, and we saw that the owner/manager spent all of his time working the room and making sure everybody felt taken care of. We won't let ourselves stay away so long this time!

Lady Kibbee and I had a really wonderful lunch meal here today. We went with mostly specials -- the crispy calamari for starters, and the steamed rockfish and broiled NY Strip in black bean sauce for mains. It would be difficult to pick a standout, because all three dishes were absolutely superb. This was by far the best meal among many good ones we have ever had at Present, and it may be a fitting farewell lunch....because when Mount Lebanon opens around the corner, all of my meals in that geographic quadrant will be taken at Mount Lebanon. But Present will always be a fond memory, thanks to meals like the one we had today.

The Washingtonian had an interesting story on this restaurant and chef. See article here. According to the article, Present is owned by Gene Nguyen who owns Pho Hot, and the chef Luong Tran came from Vietnam.

Today's Washington Post had an informative profile, by Luz Laso, of Gene Nguyen including his start in the nail business and his emerging role in the Vietnamese-American business community

Today, the 41-year-old Virginia man not only runs the nail academy his family founded in 1988, but he owns the highly regarded restaurant Present and the nightclub V3 Lounge.

And as the founder and president of the new Vietnamese-American Chamber of Commerce of Greater Washington, Nguyen now has a title to match the influential role he made for himself.

Mr. Nguyen's entrepreneurial spirit is inspirational beyond Landrum-esque.

Is the opening chef, Luong Tran, still there?

Edit to add: Further discussion of Gene Ngyen's V3 Lounge moved here - clickety.

A year and a half since the last post...? This place has definitely lost its buzz.

Lady KN and I plus one other had a Sunday afternoon lunch in a near-empty Present this afternoon. The food was good, not great, but certainly worth writing about.

For appetizers, I had the fried calamari, which was as good as I've had in this style, cut in larger pieces and scored to curl back inside itself, rather than the Mediterranean version cut in rings with the occasional intact tenticles. The hot red dipping sauce made it a hit. Lady KN had the chopped clams and ground pork in a sesame shell, about a notch below Four Sisters in quantity and quality. Visiting son-in-law had the cha gio with latticed skin, and was very pleased with the execution of the dish. These dishes were once flawless, and now they're just pretty good.

For mains, Lady KN had the whole steamed rockfish, which was fresh and topped with ginger and scallions. Nice dish, a little thin on the amount of edible flesh on the fish, but I had the cheeks and they were quite good. Our son-in-law had the Cow in the Pasture or whatever name they use for shaking beef, and it was up to par for the dish, but not overwhelmingly so. I ordered the off-the-menu special of filet mignon on a sizzling plate with scallions and onions in a brown sauce, and it was really, really good. Extremely tender and flavorful.

Present is showing some wear, and the dishes seem a bit more tired than a few years ago. There's almost a boredom apparent from the kitchen. Some strange off notes, like "Silent Night" on the soundtrack, an almost empty dining room on a Sunday mid-afternoon, and dishes that lacked the "Wow!" factor of 5-6 years ago, all added up to an OK but not great lunch. Maybe I need to try it again soon at a more prime time.

• Like 2

We had some perfectly average take out food last night, including vermicelli with pork and lemongrass chicken as mains, and 3 different versions of rolls. Nothing was bad, still nothing is making me lament the lengthy time between this visit and the last. We need an "Auld Lang Cuisine" thread for restaurants that still exists, but are shadows of themselves, and so what one misses is the original Wow factor (as Kibbee noted above).

16 hours ago, Dr. Delicious said:

We had some perfectly average take out food last night, including vermicelli with pork and lemongrass chicken as mains, and 3 different versions of rolls. Nothing was bad, still nothing is making me lament the lengthy time between this visit and the last. We need an "Auld Lang Cuisine" thread for restaurants that still exists, but are shadows of themselves, and so what one misses is the original Wow factor (as Kibbee noted above).

Do you really think Present was ever great? I don't - well, maybe for the first few months, but not long after that. Exact same thing with X.O. Taste.

Like Four Sisters, the service was very friendly and welcoming to Americans (which is not some kind of back-handed compliment - it's a real compliment, but I do believe that affected people's reviews of both restaurants to an unbalanced degree (same with Bangkok 54Ethiopic, Rasika, and various others)).

I remember, years ago, I went and ordered a "whole fish" and got a *filet*. I asked about it, and it was "cut from the whole fish" - and this was like $40!

The ironic thing is that "Review Season" - a term I first coined over a decade ago - has gotten *shorter* instead of longer, making it even easier for restaurants to put on the full-court press and deceive restaurant writers, panicking to get their stories in first.

"Eternal vigilance is the price we must pay ...."

On 9/2/2013 at 1:51 PM, buik said:

The food at Present was bland.  I can't believe that this is the cuisine of the chef Luong Tran.

Shifting gears for a moment, I don't wish to sound any false alarms - I suspect the name Luong Tran may be common in Vietnam, and of course sometimes parents have the same name as their children.

But I did just find this about an 82-year-old Luong Tran in Falls Church, which proves nothing except that someone's parent may have passed. If there is any relation with the restaurant, even indirectly, please accept my sincere sympathies.

Screenshot 2017-05-03 at 8.28.51 AM.png

• Like 1