2009 dr.com Spring Picnic

legant

Well I'm a relative newbie to the group, and just seeing this now, so being totally intimidated and unable to plan ..... Will see what I can whip up on the fly, or maybe just bring loads of alcohol?

Quick question - does anyone bring their dog(s)? I see they're allowed in the park and wondered if anyone would mind if I brought my male (he's friendly and will be kept on lead and away from the food).

I think these pieces of info from the FAQs posted upthread should answer both of your questions:

DON'T bring your pets. We have hearty appetites and hot grills and we'd hate to make a drunken mistake.

DO come even if your dog ate your lovingly prepared dish in a fit of vengeance because it could not attend the picnic and you have to make a last minute change to what you said you'd be bringing.

Elyssa - yes, there is usually a fall picnic held in mid-October.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's the final update on the food list. If I missed your contribution, or you've changed your mind about what you're bringing, no worries, just bring it on Sunday :D Also, please don't forget to bring appropriate serving utensils for your dish(es).

Looks like we're covered for most things - paper products/cups/plasticware are always appreciated and fresh fruit, veggies, etc. are also good, easy options.

Appetizers, snacks, finger food

Deviled Eggs - ScottJohnston

Deviled Eggs w/caviar – StephenB

Bacon onion tart – Xcanuck

Pate de campagne – Xcanuck

Cheese – Walrus & Tripewriter, Heather

Wings – SeanMike

Bread – Pat, Skipper10, Heather

Chicken liver pate

Sides/Salads

Sweet potato salad - Nashman1975

Salad - Heather

Causa (Peruvian Potato salad) - Pat

TBD – StorageLady

Fennel & prosciutto salad – Legant

Orzo & chickpea salad – Lackadaisi

Roasted Potato Salad – Jacques Gastreaux

Mac-n-cheese – Crackers (3-cheese bacon), agm and NotQuickDraw

Green Vegetable Dish – Anna Blume

Salad of fennel, oranges and olives

Slaw- Legant

Main course

1. meat/fish

Fried Chicken – Antonio Burrell

Bon Chon and Cheogadjib chicken – Grover

Smoked pork butt – Thistle (?), Jacques Gastreaux

Vietnamese chicken salad – Thistle

Kibbee – Kibbee Nayee

Braised jowl with lentils - Waitman

2. vegetarian/vegan

Vegan dish (kale ceviche?) – Kmango

Orzo salad – stickmoon/EvilKim

Desserts/sweets

Fudgeful peanut butter bars - Nashman1975

TBD – MelGold, V.H., goldenticket

Strawberry Almond Cream Tart - catharine

Blueberry, olive oil cake

Bread pudding –Legant

Beverages

Water – DanielK

Water/lemonade – Anna Blume, goldenticket

Beer – sphere777

Soda – Scott Johnston

Martian Pigslop from Hell- Jacques Gastreaux

Potent Libation – Crackers

Misc.

Soccer goals and balls - DanielK

Paper Products – Scott Johnston, Hillvalley

Camp Chef Stove, table, canopy – thistle

Plates, cups, Silverware –Walrus/Tripewriter

Ice – Heather

Propane and burner - AGM

Really bummed that I won't be able to make it. :D HillValley told me about it and I was planning on coming but no car + a bunch of other stuff coming up means I'll have to miss it this time around.

Elyssa and anyone else who might need a ride: There's nothing like the excitement of standing in a Metro parking lot trying to figure out if the DR.com shuttle is the silver Prius or gray Accord. If anyone needs a ride, give a shout out. I can probably/maybe provide transportation for one from Pentagon City.

For all those who have joined the site recently, the picnic is a great way to meet fellow DR.commers (Rockweilers, Rockwellians, whatever you want to call us...)

The picnic is on Sunday, June 7, 2009. Things usually get going around noon and last until we're done! We'll be at Fort Hunt Park, Site C-2

http://gwhsaa.com/ft-hunt-dir.html

Bumping location at the park

Shrimp something-or-other. Just came home with the last five or so pounds of North Carolina wild-caught shrimp, in the shell, head on, from Slavins.

Pondering . . . .

I've got half a dozen or so avocados that might be just about ripe. Shrimp and avocado salad?

Four ripe mangoes. Shrimp and mango salad?

Lemons and limes. Ceviche?

Garlic, olive oil, skewers. Will anybody be bringing a grill?

Hmmmm.

Shrimp something-or-other. Just came home with the last five or so pounds of North Carolina wild-caught shrimp, in the shell, head on, from Slavins.

Ceviche! :D If you want to bring a bowl of it and keep it in a larger bowl of ice, there'll be plenty of ice (and there's a 7-Eleven a couple miles away if we need more). You might want to supply both bowls, though :blink:.

As long as I can a- find a place to quickly pick up some lard tomorrow morning, and b- figure out an acceptable substitute for sweet anisette, which I don't have (and am not even sure I know what it is), I'm planning on bringing lemon doughnuts from the Ortega 1080 recipes book.

As long as I can a- find a place to quickly pick up some lard tomorrow morning, and b- figure out an acceptable substitute for sweet anisette, which I don't have (and am not even sure I know what it is), I'm planning on bringing lemon doughnuts from the Ortega 1080 recipes book.

Pernod + sugar is probably close enough.

Thanks, everyone, for so many posts encouraging new people to come. I will be there with (1) my baby, (2) spiced pecans (savory), and (3) possibly a six-pack. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Appetite? Check

Assorted Beverages? Check

Sunshinse? Check

Sunscreen? Check

Deviled eggs? Check

Wine? Check

Water? Check

Soda? Check

Carload of picnic supplies? Check

Knowing that Scott handled all of the picnic prep while I slept in? Priceless.

T minus 4 hours and counting. See you all soon.

With all the first timers attending, I hope somebody brings pens and nametags!
I have a ton of excess nametags but have no idea where they are :blink: . Will bring if I can find them.

I've got everything ready except for garnishes on my potatoes. I think they're seasoned just about perfectly (at least for me :D), but presentation may be a bit oops-ie.

Not sure if I'm gonna make it now :D ....people and their emergency's at work. c'est la vie. wont find out if someone can cover till noon or one....finger's crossed
oh, no :blink:. I hope you can make it.

Not sure if I'm gonna make it now :D ....people and their emergency's at work. c'est la vie. wont find out if someone can cover till noon or one....finger's crossed

That would be a very great tragedy.

You're joking, right? This is a somewhat delayed April Fool's joke. Okay, how about this: give the chicken to the wife and point her in the right direction. You can even call the kids into service. We'll miss you, but... :blink:

nevermind....i is coming :D

And thank the good lord for that. Tony, that was by far the best fried chicken I've ever had, but I have to admit that the fried Twinkie was so wrong on so many different levels that is was frikkin' right, and perfectly so.

That was an incredible event, and I enjoyed probably the best 'buffet' of edibles I've ever eaten in one spot. I had many "firsts" -- including the fried Twinkies, JParrott's libations, pig jowl -- I even used ribs and pulled pork as pallet cleansers between Dean's excellent pate and Zora's incredible gazpacho.

Scott did a great job organizing. I really had a good time meeting the faces behind the board names -- Grover, Ol' Ironstomach, Catherine, Dame Edna, Heather, and the aforementioned Antonio Burrell, JParrott, Dean, Zora and Scott. A good time was had by all.

I'm in for any $20 Tuesday, at any price, on any day, just give me a holler.

Bruce (yes, to the surprise of a few, I'm a male and I'm older than a lot of you...!)

Trying to post, before I fall asleep in a food-induced coma...what a great picnic! Super weather & company, & the food...I ate WAY too much, at the end, I was just walking up & down the tables, looking at the food, w/ no room left.

Thank you to everyone who participated, w/ a special shoutout to Antonio & his better half, who provided the chicken-it was amazing! But so much of the food was amazing, which is why I ate too much-the BonChon chicken, the pickled daikon, the corn/blk bean/mango salad, the mac n' cheese w/ bacon, kibbee, brownies, gazpacho, peruvian mashed potatoes w/ chicken, blueberry cake (was it just eggs to make it yellow or saffron?)-I ate alot of other stuff, too, which is why I'm going to rest now. An epic picnic...I'm looking forward to a fall repeat....

And thank the good lord for that. Tony, that was by far the best fried chicken I've ever had, but I have to admit that the fried Twinkie was so wrong on so many different levels that is was frikkin' right, and perfectly so.

That was an incredible event, and I enjoyed probably the best 'buffet' of edibles I've ever eaten in one spot. I had many "firsts" -- including the fried Twinkies, JParrott's libations, pig jowl -- I even used ribs and pulled pork as pallet cleansers between Dean's excellent pate and Zora's incredible gazpacho.

Scott did a great job organizing. I really had a good time meeting the faces behind the board names -- Grover, Ol' Ironstomach, Catherine, Dame Edna, Heather, and the aforementioned Antonio Burrell, JParrott, Dean, Zora and Scott. A good time was had by all.

I'm in for any $20 Tuesday, at any price, on any day, just give me a holler.

Bruce (yes, to the surprise of a few, I'm a male and I'm older than a lot of you...!)

The kibbee you brought was pretty darned good, too.

Thanks, Daniel, for bringing the soccer goals for the kids-I think they were surprised that it was such a nice day today. It was fun to see them put on their pinnies & try to play it out....I had to kick my kids (who were a little older than most kids)out there -they had alot of fun...

Pernod + sugar is probably close enough.

Didn't have that either. :blink: I wound up using a tiny bottle of Pacharan (which Wikipedia says "is made by soaking sloe berries, collected from the blackthorn, in an anise-flavoured spirit (anisette) with a small number of coffee beans and a vanilla pod for several months) I had brought back from Spain a few years ago and never found cause to open. Though I'm sure no fault of the Pacharan, the doughnuts wound up pretty heavy, and certainly didn't compare with some of the other amazing food we had today. Thanks to everyone for being polite about my cooking skills :D and it was great meeting you all.

Though I'm sure no fault of the Pacharan, the doughnuts wound up pretty heavy, and certainly didn't compare with some of the other amazing food we had today.

I had several people ask - did you have the donuts? They were awesome! - so don't sell yourself short. Heavy, yes, but delicious. Damned good food all around.

One issue - I stopped eating because I was very full. I didn't stop drinking. This was a problem. The number of typos I've had to fix in this one message is ridiculous. Next picnic, please remember, drinks must be accompanied by food! If you're too full to eat more, don't drink, either. I'm crazy drunk.

Besides that, the chicken was awesome. Jacques Gastreaux's pork was amazingly good, considering how simply seasoned it was. The tres leches cake was astounding. Xcanuck's pate reinforced my desire to learn how to make the stuff myself. Jake was pouring great stuff - enough to make up for not bringing ham.

Good times, people. Good food. Good drink. Good company. A good day all around. Thank you all.

I kept looking for who made these---they were quite awesome!

Thanks Legant for starting the conversation, Scott for organizing and whipping us in to shape, cucas for helping out and keeping Scott in line :D , goldenticket for keeping the food and attendee lists up-to date and everyone who came for their contributions of wonderful food and fun.

As most, I ate waaaaay too much, but still managed to sneak another bite of Barbara's fabulous fig and chicken liver paté before we left. I obviously should have paced myself and gone back when the later shifts of food came out, as it appears I missed a kale ceviché that was amazing. (I managed to sneak a taste from the dregs on the bottom of the bowl)

The mac n' cheese, the pork...unbelievable. So nice to see old faces as well as new ones, even those who I managed to not get to meet!

The fried chicken and ribs and pate of course kicked ass but I feel bad that Antonio basically had to work the whole picnic. You should have seen us swarm the table and later the fryer to grab a piece of that crispy fried goodness. Damn that was good.

Food highlights were the homemade oshinko (Japanese pickles) and kale ceviche. After the fried Twinkies (major disappointment-the cream dissolves into the cake! :D ) set me over the age I was grateful for the veggies to bring me back.

Kid highlight was Lucy's daughter's first bite of pate. She went from huh? to hmmm, interesting, to mmmm, more please. It was great.