2009 dr.com Spring Picnic

legant

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Father's day is the 21st so that should be taken out of the running. At the chacha pick up the idea of having a pate-off instead of tasting was discussed.

I think we had also discussed a fried chicken-off at one point.

I have a strong preference for 6/28, because the other dates are still in the middle of youth sports seasons, but I can probably swing either of the other two dates.

May 31

June 7, 21 or 28

June 21 is not only Father's Day, but the last day of NXNE for us hardcore music types :rolleyes:

May 31, June 7, and June 28 all work at this point, though June 28 is starting to get late in the season. I think earlier would be better.

A pâté-off is a great idea. I think I make a decent pâté de campagne and chicken liver pate. We'll see how things stack up.

Just for grins can a poll be linked to this topic? I don't do technology but I have seen them utilized on other sites. They might be fun, they might be a pita. Don't know.

The system software allows it, but I believe that we have it turned off on this site.

If we don't want to just poll here in the topic, I can set up something super quick on Zoomerang...

Thanks. DanielK, for the calendar help. How about June 7.

Go vote at the web survey, please, if you didn't already do so.

So far, 18 people have voted, and here are the running totals from Zoomerang:

May 31 (7)

June 7 (8)

June 14 (9)

June 28 (6)

More than 18 votes of course, because you can vote for multiple dates. Anyone have an opinion as to how long we should keep this open before declaring a victor?

Hi all,

I am offering to chair or co chair the picnic this spring. So I am putting a shout out for help. Looking for organizers, co-chairs, list keepers, do gooders, game organizers, pig roasters, drinkers, cullers, deviants, basically anyone breathing that is willing to help plan, organize before during or after the event. Many hands make light work and the picnic is always a group effort. Reply here or PM me directly.

THE PICNIC DATE IS JUNE 7th!

I'll be there (w/ family members) w/ bells on, helping in any way that I can, if I can just put pig-roaster/deviant under my name on the nametag...hopefully, all of our spring sports will be over (we have lacrosse on Sat. & Sunday, that date is fine as long as my son DOESN'T make the championships, just saying...). I'll bring cookbooks to swap, some sort of food & drink, are we going to have any kind of challenge-fried chicken, pate?

Oops, didn't notice that the date had finally been decided upon. A candidate has been selected for this year's science experiment; now I just have to make a successful dry run. Muhahahaha.

Once again, circumstances have conspired to guarantee that we'll be late to the picnic. But we will be there.

So we still doing this?

I managed to get the day off, and provided a helpful, car-owning fellow-volunteer has the space, I am happy to lend a hand in setting up and what not.

What will I bring? Edible food. Not much. Mostly botanical vs. zoological in composition.

I do believe that fried chicken is going to be one of the themes for the picnic.

I heard rumors that someone who has brought fried chicken in the past might be bringing along a fryer to make the chicken onsite...

So we still doing this?
Sure thing! Since the date is only a month from today, it seems like a good time to start keeping a list of who is planning to be there and what they're planning to bring (I'll volunteer to be the keeper of the list and will post the current info separately).

For all those who have joined the site recently, the picnic is a great way to meet fellow DR.commers (Rockweilers, Rockwellians, whatever you want to call us...)

The picnic is on Sunday, June 7, 2009. Things usually get going around noon and last until we're done! We'll be at Fort Hunt Park, Site C-2

http://gwhsaa.com/ft-hunt-dir.html

Here is some picnic information that has been helpful in the past. (I’m borrowing words here from others who already said it better than I could.)

You are all encouraged to bring something of quality. To make sure there’s something for everyone that will also mean vegan and vegetarian offerings need to be part of the spread. Labels will be provided at the picnic where you can identify your dish, whether it is vegan or vegetarian, and list any ingredients (nuts, pork, soy, etc) that might be of interest to those with allergies or other dietary restrictions.

If you’re not into cooking, consider heading to your favorite food store, deli, liquor store, bakery or restaurant and sharing something utterly scrumptious from there. Just bring enough to share with a few folks. There is always a LOT of food; no need to double recipes or anything – a standard serves 4-6-sized preparation should do the trick.

In addition to your food contribution, please plan to bring either a beverage or paper product (plates, napkins, plastic utensils, cups, etc). Wine and beer are allowed at the picnic site, but non-alcoholic beverages will be welcome too. Cases of water, soda and drink boxes for the younger attendees are always appreciated.

There will also be a collection jar to defray the costs of the picnic site rental. Suggested minimum contribution is $5/adult; $2-3 per child.

Jparrott and JPW usually oversee a Cellar Cull - I'm sure they'll post details separately.

General categories:

Appetizers, snacks, finger food

Sides/Salads

Main course

1. meat/fish

2. vegetarian/vegan

Desserts/sweets

Beverages

Misc.

Also recommended: camp chairs, coolers, games (Frisbees, soccer balls, etc)

There was also the suggestion of a cookbook swap, so be sure to look through your bookshelves and see if you've got a book or two you'd like to swap.

We've also collected canned/nonperishable goods for local food pantries. It would be nice to do that again this year.

The preliminary list of attendees - if I've missed your name in the earlier posts, please PM me or post on the thread.

DanielK +1 +2 Kids - Water, food TBD

ScottJohnston + 3 - deviled eggs, veggie torte

Cucas87

Heather – potato salad and brownies

Legant

thistle

Pat

Ol_ironstomach

Nashman1975 – sweet potato salad and fudgeful peanut butter bars

goldenticket

Anna Blume

Waitman - King Crimson 8 track collection :D

Antonio Burrell - Fried Chicken

StephenB - Deviled Eggs w/Caviar

Lackadaisi, JLock + 1/2 :blink:

Halloween

As more people reply, I will also post a food list divided by categories.

Thanks all for getting us back on track.

I will be bringing +3 plus first aid kit, cookbooks to swap, deviled eggs, veggie tort, paper products, items others have left during previous picnics, wine from the cellar.........

This is one of my favorite events!

Please tell your friends, board members, wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, etc.

I think I'll bring chicken, that sound good? LOL. I would love the help of anyone with a large bunsen burner type thingy like a turkey fryer burner stand. I will bring around 35# of chicken unless you guys think it warrants more, let me know. I'll be bringing the wife and a friend. We will have to leave the picnic early owing to the fact that we have to go to some awards ceremony thing.... :D

Thanks all for getting us back on track.

I will be bringing +3 plus first aid kit, cookbooks to swap, deviled eggs, veggie tort, paper products, items others have left during previous picnics, wine from the cellar.........

This is one of my favorite events!

Please tell your friends, board members, wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, etc.

Thanks, Scott. I'll be there!