Photo

Bayou Bakery, N. Courthouse Road in Courthouse - Pasty Chef David Guas Brings NOLA to the old Camille's Space

Arlington Courthouse Southern Cajun Bakery Coffee

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 Mark Slater

Mark Slater

@WinosaurusRex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

The Dat-O cookies are not to be missed. They are insanely good.

Beverage Manager, Bastille 1201 N. Royal St., Alexandria, VA

manager@bastillerestaurant.com

http://www.bastillerestaurant.com

#102 wlohmann

wlohmann

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

I stopped for the first time yesterday morning and thought the Vanilla Bean Muffin was absolutely splendid- -got it in a bag so I could bring half of it to work for later and it didn't make it out the door- -well-prepared espresso, comfortable space and extremely friendly service made it a great morning stop.

#103 DaveO

DaveO

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Stopped by today for lunch and had a large gumbo. yummmm. spicy, creamy, the rice on top is a nice touch. I only wish it were twice as big. Nice soup for a cold day.

#104 dcs

dcs

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

Nice piece from Tim Carman about David Guas, his dad, and their traditions at this time of year.

#105 NolaCaine

NolaCaine

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Dear BB:

I want to love you but you got me again. I had a craving for gumbo so I purchased a bowl of yours.  This is how my face looked after:  :-l

It was fine but not great. Too much tomato. You don't have etoufee on your menu but I'm betting you'd put tomatoes in that as well. 

Since you like tomatoes so much, why not put a nice shrimp creole on the menu?  If you do, let me know. 

Oh, don't know what it has to do with NO but the meatloafsandwich was really good.  --NC (who refrained from all LSU bashing)

#106 dcandohio

dcandohio

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Dear BB:
I want to love you but you got me again. I had a craving for gumbo so I purchased a bowl of yours.  This is how my face looked after:  :-l

It was fine but not great. Too much tomato. You don't have etoufee on your menu but I'm betting you'd put tomatoes in that as well. 

Since you like tomatoes so much, why not put a nice shrimp creole on the menu?  If you do, let me know. 

Oh, don't know what it has to do with NO but the meatloafsandwich was really good.  --NC (who refrained from all LSU bashing)

No. Tomatoes. In. Gumbo.
It should be a law.

Shut up and pour another glass of wine, please.

#107 DaveO

DaveO

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

had the gumbo today.  Loved it.  spicy, warm, wonderful sausage.

also visited the little boys room there.   In lieu of wall paper or simple paint the wall above the tile is completely papered over with pages from cookbooks, food pics.   Really interesting!!!!!   kudo's for the design work in the men's loo!!!!!

#108 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

I wrote an ode to the crack cookie on my blog.  That is the best cookie hands down I have ever had, it happens to be gluten free, but it tastes better than any gluten or non-gluten cookie I have ever had.  It's just phenomenal.  Chocolaty, gooey, but crisp and held together, perfect in texture, both brownie and cookie like mmmm.  I secretly like full day trials or afternoon hearings in Arlington so that I can stop in here. I need to see if that crack cookie is in the cookbook, or some of the other gluten free recipes. If so I will buy that cookbook in a heartbeat.   

Anyway we were there again on Sunday, and boy was it busy, busy.  I got the cheddar grits with brisket, which was really good, the brisket was braised in a tomato based sauce that had a lot of depth and flavor.  The grits were cooked properly.  I had a side of collards, liked those as well, they still had some texture to them, but were cooked down with nice flavor.  Had a biscuit that was ok, not my favorite biscuit ever, but not bad, not my Mama's biscuits though.  (But next time I will skip the biscuit and get the cookie.)  Hubby had Jambalaya that I don't know that he liked as much as he liked my collards and brisket (although he isn't a big grits person).  I always want to get here for red beans and rice but just don't eat out a lot on Mondays.  

Also if anyone there is reading this- can you please get diet cola.  I don't mind diet ginger ale, but I would really prefer diet cola.  

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#109 dcs

dcs

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

They introduced a pretty darn good Bahn Mi to the rotating sandwich specials menu today, listed on the board as a Vietnamese Po-boy. My only nit was that it was a little heavy on the spiced mayo (for my taste; not the spice, the mayo).  Priced at $7.95 which is in-line with their other sandwiches, albeit twice what you would pay at the Eden Center.  A welcome addition to the sandwich specials menu joining the Bitter Pig and Turkey Meatball as among my favorites.

#110 Genevieve

Genevieve

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

I love the Bitter Pig and very much like the Turkey Meatball.  Their red beans and rice dinner is tasty, though I found the crawfish etouffee disappointing (lacking in flavor and rather watery/soupy). I like the gumbo and don't mind the tomatoes - it has a nice rich flavor.

My favorite thing there right now is the guava pastelito, which I think is only available Wednesdays when they have Cuban sandwiches.  Really wish they'd carry these every day - they're fantastic!

#111 cheezepowder

cheezepowder

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

The Washington Post reports that David Guas will be opening Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar & Eatery at 921 Pennsylvania Ave, SE, DC.

#112 DaveO

DaveO

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

Had the French Press Coffee this past mid morning.  Far and away the best coffee option in the Courthouse area IMHO.

• hopsing likes this

#113 DaveO

DaveO

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

The Dat-O cookies are not to be missed. They are insanely good.

There are many dishes and foods l love there.  That is not one of them.  If I was forced to eat one I'd crack it in half and lick the creamy filling.   

#114 Mark Slater

Mark Slater

@WinosaurusRex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

If I was forced to eat one I'd crack it in half and lick the creamy filling.   

Yeah. Like that.

• DonRocks likes this

Beverage Manager, Bastille 1201 N. Royal St., Alexandria, VA

manager@bastillerestaurant.com

http://www.bastillerestaurant.com

#115 Genevieve

Genevieve

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

I love their coconut pie - makes me so happy when they have it.  I wish I knew when it was going to be served, I'd be sure to be there.

And I adore the guava pastelitos and am bummed that they're only there Wednesdays starting at lunchtime -- they're usually gone if I stop in Wednesday after work for one.  They are really fantastic, crisp and flaky and just the right amount of tart guava balanced with sweet cream cheese.  Please, offer these more often!! On weekends or evenings, preferably, so your neighbors who work elsewhere can enjoy them when they're home! :)

• DaveO likes this

#116 DaveO

DaveO

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

The Black Eyed Pea Spread;   a hummus like spread with pickled black eyed peas, cayenne pepper, some southern styled spices, garlic, sweet onion, xtr v olive oil and other ingredients.   This was simply one of the finest taste treats I've had in ages.  Simply scrumptious.  

I got the ingredients but not the portions but this I suppose can be made similar to making hummus.   This little side dish is buried in the snacks portion of the menu...but it sent me into savory taste bud heaven.   

Just like the folks in Courthouse in Arlington, the folks on Capitol Hill are in for a treat if they find this dish on the menu.  Its outta this world.

• KMango likes this

#117 thistle

thistle

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

I've been watching American Grilled on the Travel Channel (my favorites-BBQ, competition, towns I like) & I think Mr. Guas is doing a great job as host. It's similar to 'Chopped' (which I love, except for dessert round), but a little more low key. Looking forward to future episodes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arlington, Courthouse, Southern, Cajun, Bakery, Coffee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users