We generally go to Golden Hong Kong in Springfield, which is more reliable and friendly than amazing. However, we recently got a tip about Gourmet Inspirations in Silver Spring, and it was really good (but completely impractical for us location wise in general). Service wasn't great, with somewhat infrequent carts, but maybe that's because they don't overstock so everything we got seemed really fresh and hot.

It was a few weeks ago so I don't really remember details. We got the mundane sort of things, and they were all very good.

4 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Tim Ho Wan opened a branch in NYC, in the east Village. 

This is the right answer IMO.  I've never understood why the DC area's dim sum is so meh, given all the other great regional Chinese options.  FWIW, my family (immediate and extended) has been going to Silver Fountain once every few months for the last several years.  New Fortune is 15 minutes closer but we've never warmed to the place.  Back in the 90s we'd make the trek to China Garden from MD.  Haven't been there in forever.

On 1/5/2017 at 9:06 AM, Dr. Delicious said:

There was some kind of taro dumpling in a birds-nest-style fried enclosure that was excellent.

Apparently, wu gok is "the most underrated and under-ordered dim sum dish". I agree!

http://www.avclub.com/article/best-thing-youre-not-ordering-dim-sum-restaurant-248183

[ETA: It occurs to me that this may more appropriately belong in the Dim Sum thread, and not this restaurant-specific thread. My bad!]

• Like 2