MeMc

Cochon 555

44 posts in this topic

I said I'd pass this information along. I thought some folks here might be interested. . . .

COCHON 555 - Washington D.C.

“5 Pigs, 5 Chefs, 5 Winemakers”

May 31st, 2009

WHAT: A group of top Washington D.C. area chefs will each prepare a heritage breed hog from head to toe for this competition. Cochon 555 is the only national chef competition promoting heritage pigs and breed diversity. Guests and professional judges will determine a winner based on creative, classic preparation and overall best flavor. The winner will be crowned the “Prince of Porc”. In addition, five family-owned wineries will showcase their wines.

WHO: Taste Network presents

Brian McBride, Blue Duck Tavern

RJ Cooper, Vidalia

Nicholas Stefanelli, Mio

Jamie Leeds, Commonwealth Gastropub

John Manolatos, Cashion's Eat Place

Wineries: Miner Family Vineyards, Patz & Hall and more.

WHEN: Sunday, May 31st, 5:00 p.m.

Chef & Judges VIP Reception 3:30 p.m. photo opportunity/rsvp required

WHERE: Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. - 1330 Maryland Ave SW

WHY: To promote heritage pigs and breed diversity in local and national communities. Also, to raise awareness for ICompassion, an organization that works to reduce the number of individuals who die from kidney disease each year through providing support with a national live donor registry.

HOW: The cost is $125 per person and is open to the public. For tickets or more info visit www.amusecochon.com. Advance ticket purchase required.

I've experienced what Nicholas Stefanelli can do with an Eco-Friendly hog, and it's amazing. I think the whole event will be mind-blowing. But I don't know yet if I can go. :D

Come one, come all! I'll see you there if you can find me (hint: it won't be very hard ...)
You'll be the one on the table with the apple in your mouth?

I am one of the judges and very open to bribes. Giacomo Conterno 1961 Barolo goes a long way in nudging my opinion. See you there!

this much I can tell you: Something unsettling is going on at Mio.

Their kitchen put on a respectable showing on Sunday at the Cochon 555 event, though I thought they were outclassed by Commonwealth and the winner, Vidalia. If that 100 lbs of heritage pig turns out to be their swan song (and there is certainly no reason to conclude that is the case), then they went guns blazing.

I thought Nicholas & crew's crispy pork belly the best single dish f the night at 555 and they had several other truly spectacular dishes including the pickled ramps & the red onion preserves.

Carole Greenwood has left both Buck's Fishing and Camping and Comet Ping Pong

maybe that's why buck's was closed this sunday, and comet was a bit of a mess. i suspect that comet has been carrying buck's a bit lately.

Their kitchen put on a respectable showing on Sunday at the Cochon 555 event, though I thought they were outclassed by Commonwealth and the winner, Vidalia. If that 100 lbs of heritage pig turns out to be their swan song (and there is certainly no reason to conclude that is the case), then they went guns blazing.
The scrapple and ravioli dish was fabulous. One of my top three favorite dishes of the evening.

I just read about this event at: http://www.localwineevents.com/events/detail/296146/cochon-555-5-chefs-5-pigs-5-winemakers-dc-national-tour

For those who went last year, how much food do you actually get? It is more of a social 'in' thing to do? It certainly seems like a cool event, but really, I don't care much for that -- I just want to eat a lot of food ;)

RJ Cooper said he prepared pork some 20+ ways last year, and only the judges got to eat most of that. So if I buy my way in with a regular ticket, what will I actually get to experience?

Thanks!

I wasn't as lucky as agm at this event last year.

We arrived right on time, though were unable to taste any of Chef Cooper's food, because there was simply none left by the time our turn on line came up. There certainly were some delicious offerings by the other chefs, but the extended wait times in line for both food and wine are what I remember most about this event. Perhaps they'll have worked out some of the kinks this year.

My rockhead friends follow us on facebook and Twitter breaking down ir new friend Reuben the 160 pound old spot pig into 18 elements for cochon 555

My rockhead friends follow us on facebook and Twitter breaking down ir new friend Reuben the 160 pound old spot pig into 18 elements for cochon 555

Vidalia got robbed last night!

Who won? Any description of the various pigs?

I did a Twitter search last night, and it looked like Bourbon Steak's David Varley.

Looking forward to more intel from folks who attended...

Was a judge again. David Varley probably carried the judges room but the overall voting was close. There was a lot of food and each chef had hits and clunkers. The biggest hts from the discussion I had included Eola's pork consumee & pork heart. There was a pork belly with pickled watermelon that was a top hit for most but in my piggy fog I am not sure if it was Joey Depalma or David Varley. Nick Stephanelli has a lot of nice things including his salty caramel with lardo, his lardo, his speck and his meatball. RJ wowed with his Viet Namese inspired soup. But there were 38 dishes overall and everyone was groaning at the end.

The big winner was the idea of getting to know your suppliers and excellent sourcing.