Kliman Online, Todd Kliman's Chog - Tuesdays 11-12 AM on Washingtonian.com

Meaghan

Brass balls.

Hey, somebody's gotta say it. If the Powers That Be at the Washingtonian didn't want to see some changes, they wouldn't have hired him. The Best 100 list was getting to the point where it was about as creditable as the judging in an Olympic ice dancing competition.

Edited by Principia

The discussion seems to be equal parts "Great job getting that dead weight off the list!" and "How dare you exclude a long-standing favorite from the list!"

Very interesting. Maybe I'll dig up an old issue and compare.

definetely an interesting issue...... look forward to seeing what else is in store for the dc dining scene

The Best 100 list was getting to the point where it was about as creditable as the judging in an Olympic ice dancing competition.

And, of course, the rules for judging have been changed just in time for this year's Olympics. The US Ice Dancing team actually has a shot at a medal. Never would have happened otherwise.

I may have to start reading the Washingtonian again, after a hiatus of 20+ years. Particularly since I haven't been able to locate Rocks' deathless prose online.

Edited by Barbara

I submitted one question on that discussion and part of it was cutoff, (technical problem). The part that was cut off was my thoughts that some of the restaurants that kept making it back were there only for "legacy" reasons. (and oh yeah, a little comment I had on their new wine editor). I think the new list is great! Unfortunately, I have not been to enough of these restaurants! My mission is to cross one off evry two weeks, (so I can go back to some old favorites also).

Who would admit to going to see Coldplay in a public forum?

(Back on topic) Suprised Kliman didn't figure out himself the challenge of noshing before an event and then dining properly afterwards -- there are damn few restaurants open late. Mrs. B and I often try to get out after the Symphony and, at 10:30 on Friday night we're pretty much limited to BdC, Bistro Francaise, Notti Bianchi and Circle Bistro. I can't imagine what would be available at 11 or 11:30 on a Wednesday. Now, we've had lovely meals in CB et al, but it would be nice -- since we don't get out much -- to have a few more good places to choose from.

Someone young and hip? :lol: (not me)

This entire area has always had a shortage of late night eateries that are any good as opposed to New York, San Fransisco and yikes even Miami.

I landed in New York the other night at 8:30 at JFK,made a reservation upon landing,and was eating at Felidia's at 10:30. Again I am sure it goes back to what the market will bear.

But that is not nearly as bad as:

Hi, Todd! I am hosting a birthday dinner for a group of about 20 super hip 25 year olds in March.

Am I really supposed to believe that someone from Roanoke really knows what "super hip" is? I am glad that Todd keyed in on that horrible term. I think that referring to his/her friends as "super hip" makes it more tolerable to hang out with his or her loser friends.

But that is not nearly as bad as:

Am I really supposed to believe that someone from Roanoke really knows what "super hip" is? I am glad that Todd keyed in on that horrible term. I think that referring to his/her friends as "super hip" makes it more tolerable to hang out with his or her loser friends.

I'm not going to say that no one from Roanoke can actually be super hip -- but I will grant that nobody who calls themseleves "super hip" can actually be super hip.

I cut them a little slack because, if I lived in Roanoke, I'd be pretty stoked to get a decent meal at someplace like Rasika's too.

(You know, every time I end up at a "hip" restaurant or even most clubs, I always seem to end up surrounded by young-ish lawyers, Hill staffers and GS12's in boring clothes, trading business cards. "Geez," I'll whine to Stephanie, "these people are no hipper than me." I'm calling on all you younger DR folks [it's too late for me] to get working on your haircuts and attitudes. Next time I'm in Penn Quarter and everybody looks bussed in from Manasses or like they're in a "Young Professionals Networking Alliance," there's likely to be trouble.) laugh.gif

I kind of chuckled at this one.

11:59 AM Annandale, VA: Hi Todd,

I am looking for a very discreet restaurant. I am meeting someone who is well known in this area,that and the fact that I am married and dining alone with him, well let's just say we would like to keep it private. Any suggestions on discreet restaurants with discreet chefs and employees? BTW the food must be great. Price is no object.

Todd Kliman: The mere mention of "discreet" makes me want to barrage you with a million intrusive inappropriate questions!

My first piece of advice is to think of those restaurants that use lighting to create a soft and romantic mood -- a haven-y mood. Asia Nora is one. The back room at Palena might also work, being a lot less crowded these days since the Cafe up front has become so popular.

My second piece of advice? Get out of town. Aster, in Middleburg, might be a good choice -- it's cozy and quiet, a bit of an oasis.

Then my seismographer started ticking. :lol:

(Back on topic) Suprised Kliman didn't figure out himself the challenge of noshing before an event and then dining properly afterwards -- there are damn few restaurants open late.  Mrs. B and I often try to get out after the Symphony and, at 10:30 on Friday night we're pretty much limited to BdC, Bistro Francaise, Notti Bianchi and Circle Bistro.  I can't imagine what would be available at 11 or 11:30 on a Wednesday.  Now, we've had lovely meals in CB et al, but it would be nice -- since we don't get out much -- to have a few more good places to choose from.

You're looking by the Kennedy Center, however, where there is already a paucity of dining, regardless of time of day. Post-MCI-show late dining is far more plentiful. Places we already discuss in this forum in that area ARE open late.

You're looking by the Kennedy Center, however, where there is already a paucity of dining, regardless of time of day. Post-MCI-show late dining is far more plentiful. Places we already discuss in this forum in that area ARE open late.

I beg to differ. Perhaps they keep later hours when there are MCI events, but a quick buzz thgrough open table and a couple of websites certainly makes it appear very difficult to get something beyond mini-burgers and tapas (go Jaleo!) in that 'hood after 10 PM on a weeknight. Certainly we've called the Zatinyas and Postes of the world on the way out of the KC and gotten the old "if you can order in 15 minutes" spiel, which generally foreshadows an unfortunate dining experience. I'll always treasure the way the windex at Bistro d'Oc - as they wiped down the other table around us -- added a new layer of experience to their fine french food.

I beg to differ.  Perhaps they keep later hours when there are MCI events, but a quick buzz thgrough open table and a couple of websites certainly makes it appear very difficult to get something beyond mini-burgers and tapas (go Jaleo!) in that 'hood after 10 PM on a weeknight. 

Chinatown Express, Eat First, and Full Kee all serve late. I never even thought about the non-Chinese places in that area, as I've always gone to one of the 3 after a show or game at the MCI Cent..., wait, now it's the Verizon Center.

Chinatown Express, Eat First, and Full Kee all serve late. I never even thought about the non-Chinese places in that area, as I've always gone to one of the 3 after a show or game at the MCI Cent..., wait, now it's the Verizon Center.

Ah, different wavelength. We've usually on a "big night out, lets get something good" program and so looking for something a little more elegant. Though if Full Kee had beer...

Ah, different wavelength.  We've usually on a "big night out, lets get something good" program and so looking for something a little more elegant.  Though if Full Kee had beer...

Oya has a late night menu until 1:00 a.m. - this is listed under the lounge hours, so I'm not sure if you can order from this menu at a table in the dining room. Dinner hours only go 'til 10:30pm.

Ah, different wavelength.  We've usually on a "big night out, lets get something good" program and so looking for something a little more elegant.  Though if Full Kee had beer...

I think that's a pretty fair synopsis of the difference between the Opera and Capitals crowds...

I recently had such a tough time finding a place to eat after a Wizards game (albeit on a Saturday night). Every single place was PACKED. Tried Matchbox (60 minute estimated wait), Zengo even (45 minute estimated wait) and IndeBleu (no estimate, just told to hit the crowded bar). We ended up at Zaytinya which was also packed, but got lucky when we caught people evacuating seats at the bar.

He did an incredible disservice to both Guajillo and, especially, Rock Creek which is an excellent restaurant that is EXACTLY what the person was looking for. I wonder if he's even been since he seemed to steer the conversation towards his own familiarity. As for Guajillo the person who asked the question listed Arlington as their location-and he wants to send them to Riverdale. That's a long way form Arlington when Taqueria Poblano and Guajillo would both do very nicely! I've been to the places in Riverdale and while, yes, I like them I don't share his passion certainly not at the expense of Guajillo or even Taqueria Poblano. Also, why is he sending someone from "Alexandria/D. C. who list Old Town and Downtown restaurants to Palena Cafe? And the person who asked for a rehearsal dinner in Rosslyn: he gave them a restaurant in Crystal City! I would also question the wisdom of Oyamel for a rehearsal dinner which I would think would suggest a more middle of the road type of meal. Also: there is absolutely no comparison between The Inn at Easton (Australian) and Maestro, either in style, presentation or the overall experience. I believe that Maestro would be far more reassuring for someone who does not want to be intimidated than the Australian inspired Inn at Easton. While much of Fabio's menu is extremely creative there is also a great deal that is both reassuring and comforting.

Sorry, I didn't think this was a very good or responsive chat at all. I would also like to see him spend more time going to restaurants in Washington and familiarizing himself with our own before he begins to explore New York to the point where he is going to write a feature about their restaurants. Kliman is an excellent writer and has, overall, dramatically lifted Washingtonian's dining section for both style and content. But he has a weakness: he is nowhere near as familiar with D. C. area restaurants as he should be and this has shown up in most of his chats.

Frankly, I am shocked that he wants to start focusing on other cities. I don't believe he knows this one well enough yet.

He did an incredible disservice to both Guajillo and, especially, Rock Creek which is an excellent restaurant that is EXACTLY what the person was looking for. I wonder if he's even been since he seemed to steer the conversation towards his own familiarity. As for Guajillo the person who asked the question listed Arlington as their location-and he wants to send them to Riverdale. That's a long way form Arlington when Taqueria Poblano and Guajillo would both do very nicely! I've been to the places in Riverdale and while, yes, I like them I don't share his passion certainly not at the expense of Guajillo or even Taqueria Poblano. Also, why is he sending someone from "Alexandria/D. C. who list Old Town and Downtown restaurants to Palena Cafe? And the person who asked for a rehearsal dinner in Rosslyn: he gave them a restaurant in Crystal City! I would also question the wisdom of Oyamel for a rehearsal dinner which I would think would suggest a more middle of the road type of meal. Also: there is absolutely no comparison between The Inn at Easton (Australian) and Maestro, either in style, presentation or the overall experience. I believe that Maestro would be far more reassuring for someone who does not want to be intimidated than the Australian inspired Inn at Easton. While much of Fabio's menu is extremely creative there is also a great deal that is both reassuring and comforting.

Sorry, I didn't think this was a very good or responsive chat at all. I would also like to see him spend more time going to restaurants in Washington and familiarizing himself with our own before he begins to explore New York to the point where he is going to write a feature about their restaurants. Kliman is an excellent writer and has, overall, dramatically lifted Washingtonian's dining section for both style and content. But he has a weakness: he is nowhere near as familiar with D. C. area restaurants as he should be and this has shown up in most of his chats.

Frankly, I am shocked that he wants to start focusing on other cities. I don't believe he knows this one well enough yet.

It's just one persons opinon lighten up! I enjoy his chats I love the fact that he goes outside of DC. I actually tried Hot Bread today based on his chat, as I work pretty close by , and he was dead on about the Chicken Tikka.

He did an incredible disservice to both Guajillo and, especially, Rock Creek which is an excellent restaurant that is EXACTLY what the person was looking for. I wonder if he's even been since he seemed to steer the conversation towards his own familiarity. As for Guajillo the person who asked the question listed Arlington as their location-and he wants to send them to Riverdale. That's a long way form Arlington when Taqueria Poblano and Guajillo would both do very nicely! I've been to the places in Riverdale and while, yes, I like them I don't share his passion certainly not at the expense of Guajillo or even Taqueria Poblano. But he has a weakness: he is nowhere near as familiar with D. C. area restaurants as he should be and this has shown up in most of his chats.

Sending the San Diegan to Riverdale was a bright move and, given that Riverdale's Mexican tendencies are not yet well known in the area, a favor to many readers who may not be familiar with the area's Mexican offerings. Rather than showing an ignorance of the area, it showed that he can, indeed, get farther off the beaten track than Wilson Blvd. and the queue in front of Ray's.

I felt that his suggestion of where to eat healthy was a thoughtful and thorough answer. a) there's a restaurant that specializes in healthy cuisine, B) here's a type of food that tends to the healthy side (sushi), and c) here's how to choose a fish dish that's lighter, plus d) a specific dish recommendation at a specific restaurant. A very nice answer, to my eye.

Also: there is absolutely no comparison between The Inn at Easton (Australian) and Maestro, either in style, presentation or the overall experience. I believe that Maestro would be far more reassuring for someone who does not want to be intimidated than the Australian inspired Inn at Easton.
I think this is an insult to the Inn at Easton and Chef Evans. It's not like he's serving kangaroo burgers and tasmanian devil dogs, but if he were, I bet they'd be darn tasty...

So the major gripe with Todd's chat is that he is not matching up recommendations perfectly with the given location? Unreal. In both Tom's and Todd's chats, people usually ask specifically about a certain focused area if they want a recommendation in that area. If not specified, I think Todd has every right to lead the questioner to his recommendation anywhere in the DC area. Even if specified, within a few miles radius seems very reasonable.

This criticism seems to really miss the mark, IMO.

Is that crickets I hear?

At any rate, in case the person who was wondering about Japanese pastries happens to wander by, I believe that Todd Kliman might have been referring to Minamoto Kitchoan (http://www.kitchoan.com/E/index.html), which is located across the street from Rockefeller Center (and also happens to be right near the Kinokuniya bookstore). I highly recommend paying them a visit if you get the chance.

I believe that Todd Kliman might have been referring to Minamoto Kitchoan (http://www.kitchoan.com/E/index.html), which is located across the street from Rockefeller Center

Mmmmm. My +1 brought me an assortment of things from Minamoto a few weeks ago, and they were delightful, particularly the sakura mochi, a super-perishable and fragrant mochi made with cherry blossoms that tastes like springtime. The small fruit jellies set with agar-agar were also delicate and sweet, but redolent of summer and the joys of taking a cold crisp draught on a hot day.

Really!

Nearly 1/3 of this week's chat given over to a preview of next month's print contents?!  Must have been a slow week for questions.

that is nothing new - well maybe the extended preview of the upcoming issue is new. mr. kliman's chats have always been a tad light on questions. this is not a criticism of the chat, just noting that i do not think that it has reached a critical mass of popularity required for it to be considered "lively". i wonder, what is the percentage of questions asked to questions posted.

I loved a dish of pickled shad, served over braised celery with a dollop of creamy onion relish -- a sort of cross between pickled herring and some freewheeling sushi chef's sashimi creation. I could have eaten three plates of that alone and called it a night.

This pretty much sums up the difference between me and Todd: he could have three plates of that pickled shad and call it a night; I could have three plates of that pickled shad and call it an appetizer.

The April 25th chat.

Lisa Scruggs has left Equinox to oversee desserts for the Neighborhood Restaurant Group (Tallula, Evening Star Cafe, Vermillion).  They're also working on a dessert-concept cafe for which Scruggs will be the chef. 

I'm very interested in this dessert-concept cafe -- are the Tallula (et al) folks at liberty to tell us more about the concept (like will it be an all dessert restaurant)? Has a location been set?