zoramargolis

By the White House Farmers Market

48 posts in this topic

According to WTOP, Michelle Obama is supporting a request to close down Vermont Ave. Thursdays 1:00-8:00pm. I'm not sure what the logic is behind the location (traffic is bad enough in that area) or time (7 hours is a long market) but it will be interesting to see what influence FLOTUS has on the process.

Edit: The thread title has changed to reflect FRESHFARM's sole management of the market. Mrs. Obama is said to support the market but is not behind the creation or management.

Edited by hillvalley

I think they are nuts. Yes, to more markets. But closing a street like Vermont? I don't think so.

And what would happen to Penn Quarter? Would Fresh Farm have two markets on Thursdays?

Sigh...

Um, it's not like they're planning on closing the entire length of Vermont Avenue. It'd just be the block between H and I (DCist has a map), which, despite the level of traffic on the streets either side, gets remarkably little through traffic - if any street in downtown DC has to be closed, that one will probably cause the least amount of mayhem.

It's also basically right on top of McPherson Square metro, which is going to make it a pretty tempting stop on the way home for Blue and Orange line commuters - much more so than the Penn Quarter market.

I would love for this to happen because I work on that stretch of Vermont Ave. It has some traffic, but it's not particularly busy. Most of us just dart across rather than go to the sidewalks at either end. Vehicular traffic could use 15th or 16th Sts to get around the blockage.

According to WTOP, Michelle Obama is supporting a request to close down Vermont Ave. Thursdays 1:00-8:00pm. I'm not sure what the logic is behind the location (traffic is bad enough in that area) or time (7 hours is a long market) but it will be interesting to see what influence FLOTUS has on the process.

1-8 would include the setup and breakdown time. I suspect the market itself is probably 3-7...

I thought I would stroll over there and see what's what, yeah right! Crowds, security, metal detectors, Jose Andres! Didn't get a glimpse of the First Lady, maybe I will get back over there in a hour or two.

I really really hope that the metal detectors were there because the Obamas or some other traveling-security-circus-requiring official was planning on walking through the crowd. If not it's just really sad.

I walked down from my office, saw the half block long line to get in, turned around and walked back.

I really really hope that the metal detectors were there because the Obamas or some other traveling-security-circus-requiring official was planning on walking through the crowd. If not it's just really sad.

I walked down from my office, saw the half block long line to get in, turned around and walked back.

The security fencing and other measures are gone. It's very easy to walk in now.

Well, now, if any of you had gotten there early, you would have been able to get through security and start shopping right away. Because of the visit by Mrs. Obama, Ag Sec. Vilsack, Mayor Fenty, et al., this was a one-time deal. Starting next week, you will have to wait for the opening bell at 3. My companion for this outing spotted Todd English of Equinox, but we were remarking on the fact that we didn't see a single person we recognized in that crowd. This was in between sampling all the food that was available. Our lunch was mostly cheese :rolleyes: .

There were more vendors than at Penn Quarter, but this market will close at the end of October, if I heard correctly. Too bad, because it is more convenient for me than PQ.

Well, now, if any of you had gotten there early, you would have been able to get through security and start shopping right away. Because of the visit by Mrs. Obama, Ag Sec. Vilsack, Mayor Fenty, et al., this was a one-time deal. Starting next week, you will have to wait for the opening bell at 3. My companion for this outing spotted Todd English of Equinox, but we were remarking on the fact that we didn't see a single person we recognized in that crowd. This was in between sampling all the food that was available. Our lunch was mostly cheese :huh: .

There were more vendors than at Penn Quarter, but this market will close at the end of October, if I heard correctly. Too bad, because it is more convenient for me than PQ.

Even with the rain, it was fun. And I heard the same thing, that it will run until the end of October.

In addition to my share of cheese, I ate a tasty brioche from Praline Bakery in Bethesda--I was curious about their baked goods from postings here, but don't get out to that part of Bethesda too often. It was quite good. I also bought a bison steak for dinner tonight. (And I actually got to share an umbrella with Chef Gray. Although I would not have recognized him if I hadn't seen the Equinox logo on his Chef's jacket. :rolleyes: )

Didn't seem like it added a lot to the Greater Market Scene, but it seems like a place I could walk to from work and then take the bus home, which makes it more convenient for me. Chatted up a farmer who was a little pissed at the Michelle speech "what the hell does this have to do with health care...if they just cut the subsidies to wheat and corn they'd solve the goddam health care crisis...can't say that with the fucking Secretary of Agriculture standing right there...."

Between the idea/And the reality/Between the motion/And the act/Falls the shadow.”

Smartest thing I heard anyone say all day.

Well, now, if any of you had gotten there early, you would have been able to get through security and start shopping right away. Because of the visit by Mrs. Obama, Ag Sec. Vilsack, Mayor Fenty, et al., this was a one-time deal. Starting next week, you will have to wait for the opening bell at 3. My companion for this outing spotted Todd English of Equinox, but we were remarking on the fact that we didn't see a single person we recognized in that crowd. This was in between sampling all the food that was available. Our lunch was mostly cheese :rolleyes: .

I was there early enough to be standing fairly close to the speakers' platform, in with an enthusiastic bunch of women who were screaming for Michelle like she's a rock star... and everyone but me had a digital camera or cell phone camera. I chatted briefly with Sam Kass, and got to look into Michelle's market basket with her purchases from The Farm at Sunnyside--Emily's probably going to be on the news tonight, by the way. Anyway--Michelle bought two bunches of Tuscan kale, boxes of cherry tomatoes, hot chiles and new potatoes, and a dozen eggs. No beets. Then she went over to Clear Springs Creamery and bought chocolate milk and a camembert. Claire from Clear Springs was on the dais and gave a little speech as a representative of the farmers. Also saw José Andres, Todd Gray, RJ Cooper and a few other guys wearing chef coats.

...got to look into Michelle's market basket with her purchases from The Farm at Sunnyside--Emily's probably going to be on the news tonight, by the way. Anyway--Michelle bought two bunches of Tuscan kale, boxes of cherry tomatoes, hot chiles and new potatoes, and a dozen eggs. No beets.
Emily's already in a pic on the Huffington Post web page. (Don't really care about what Michelle was wearing but Em's shirt is fabulous dahlnk.) Michelle is also standing in front of TFaS logo when she gave her opening speech. Woo Hoo!!!

That's Todd Gray, of course...

A Todd English sighting would have really been something. Just saw him on a recent episode of Top Chef. Saying that I'm a fan is an understatement...

A less swoony look at the market opening.

"Obama, in her brief speech to the vendors and patrons, handled the affordability issue by pointing out that people who pay with food stamps would get double the coupon value at the market. Even then, though, it's hard to imagine somebody using food stamps to buy what the market offered: $19 bison steak from Gunpowder Bison, organic dandelion greens for $12 per pound from Blueberry Hill Vegetables, the Piedmont Reserve cheese from Everson Dairy at $29 a pound...."

"Obama, in her brief speech to the vendors and patrons, handled the affordability issue by pointing out that people who pay with food stamps would get double the coupon value at the market. Even then, though, it's hard to imagine somebody using food stamps to buy what the market offered: $19 bison steak from Gunpowder Bison, organic dandelion greens for $12 per pound from Blueberry Hill Vegetables, the Piedmont Reserve cheese from Everson Dairy at $29 a pound...."

Not that there's some truth in this statement, but c'mon! I think everybody would agree that these are luxury items.. Why not mention the staples that food stamp recipients would presumably be drawn to? Are they not selling apples and greens and peppers and tomatoes for a reasonable sum? Isn't there some nice double coupon value there? A better argument would be to say that you can't get a dozen eggs for less than $3-4 when they sell for $X at the local grocery.

Not that there's some truth in this statement, but c'mon! I think everybody would agree that these are luxury items.. Why not mention the staples that food stamp recipients would presumably be drawn to? Are they not selling apples and greens and peppers and tomatoes for a reasonable sum? Isn't there some nice double coupon value there? A better argument would be to say that you can't get a dozen eggs for less than $3-4 when they sell for $X at the local grocery.

Not to mention the fact that the "$1 a dozen" eggs that Milbank is recommending (and when was the last time he was in a grocery store?) are from factory-farmed chickens that are held in cruel circumstances vs. free-roaming chickens with beyond humane living circumstances that provide the eggs for the market vendors. With double coupons, those eggs are certainly within reach of families and seniors in the food stamp program. In this instance, as in others recently, Dana Milbank is a professional back-of-the-classroom adolescent snark-meister.