District Taco, Former Taco Truck Now In Multiple Area Brick-And-Mortar Locations

Good new food cart in Rosslyn (near the metro). They have a menu of breakfasts tacos and I think they're open for lunch now too. I stopped by this morning when I was in the neighborhood. I had two tacos with egg whites, peppers & onions, pinto beans, and cheese on a flour tortilla. Only cost $5. Very good food, especially for the price. Nice warm, soft tortillas stuffed with flavorful beans, crispy veggies, and soft egg whites. Add a bit of the medium salsa and it's a good meal for a low price.

Does anyone know what type of lunch items they offer? By looking at the website, it seems like they are focused on breakfast tacos and have only a few specials at lunch.

I think the breakfast menu is relatively fixed but the daily lunch specials change daily. I have seen fajitas, some kind of diablo shrimp dish, and carne asada as specials in the past.

Does anyone know what type of lunch items they offer? By looking at the website, it seems like they are focused on breakfast tacos and have only a few specials at lunch.

There was only one option for lunch this afternoon, shredded chicken. It was moist and flavorful, but they forgot my salsa. District Taco also seems to be trying to make a name for itself in the food education business-

Customer in front of me: Hi, I'd like 2 hard tacos...

DT guy: There are no hard tacos in Mexico, my friend!

Some well-deserved good press for a hard working street cart. I have never been for breakfast, but I have visited for lunch twice in the last week. I like their idea of a lunch special - the special is the only item on the menu. Yesterday's cochinita pibil tacos were particularly succulent; the pork being especially tender, moist, and flavorful. They usually post the lunch special on Twitter, which is also accessible from their web page. Friendly folks, too. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

I've had the lunch special twice this week from District Taco cart in Rosslyn. Wow those are good tacos! They primarily serve breakfast tacos (which I'm not into), but I'm glad I checked out their lunch specials. I had pollo adobo one day and chicken fajitas today. Both were made-to-order, served on fresh tortillas with guac, fresh salsa, and lettuce. Both were really good, but I preferred the chicken adobo. The chicken was very flavorful and moist.

The owner couldn't be nicer. He said he's from the Yucatan and only uses fresh ingredients. In fact he said to get guac, you need to come before 1pm. They don't reuse leftovers, so they only make a certain amount every day.

They offer one lunch special a day and it costs $5 for 2 tacos and a drink. They post their specials and cart location via twitter and facebook every day.

http://www.districttaco.com/

walking between home and work, yesterday evening and this morning, I did not see the cart at Lynn and Wilson

Anyone know their hours?

Yesterday evening, a Halal cart was at Lynn and Wilson. Their lamb gyro is pretty good. I think its the cart I see parked in front of La'Jawab

walking between home and work, yesterday evening and this morning, I did not see the cart at Lynn and Wilson

Anyone know their hours?

Yesterday evening, a Halal cart was at Lynn and Wilson. Their lamb gyro is pretty good. I think its the cart I see parked in front of La'Jawab

FYI, the District Taco folks twittered this morning that they "will be closing outside cart service until late March" due to "continuous cold and ugly weather." They got that part about the weather right, but I will miss them. They are open today and "possibly tomorrow" so there is still time to get your last chance taco.

I just visited District Taco in Ballston today--pollo asado was the lunch special. Delicious as usual. The guac was particularly citrusy today, which I liked. Osiris told me that he hopes to set up in Ballston every Monday. He was at 9th and Stewart Streets--where the Pupatella pizza cart sets up on Thursdays and Fridays.

FYI--Orisis apparently was asked to move his cart from his regular spot in Rosslyn, so he's planning on moving just down the street on Wednesday. He's in Crystal City on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You can follow his twitter feed or friend him on Facebook for daily details.

FYI--Orisis apparently was asked to move his cart from his regular spot in Rosslyn, so he's planning on moving just down the street on Wednesday. He's in Crystal City on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You can follow his twitter feed or friend him on Facebook for daily details.

He was also just outside of Courthouse Metro just now. I don't know when he started or when he is leaving, but he's there right now.

He was also just outside of Courthouse Metro just now. I don't know when he started or when he is leaving, but he's there right now.

I think most Saturdays he is near Courthouse metro in the morning and into the afternoon to serve the farmer's market/flea market foot traffic.

Love their breakfast tacos and had their pollo asada tacos for lunch once, which were delicious as well.

My only beef is that they're woefully ill-equipped to deal with cash purchases. My very first time, all I had was $5, but I only wanted ONE breakfast taco. But they kept the entire $5 because they didn't have change and didn't even offer to give me a second taco to at least make up for the lack of change. I was running short on time, so just left it. I just brushed it off to them needing the $2 more than I did, but I'm not really in the habit of tipping 40% before I've had a chance to try the product...

If you do go, pay with a credit/debit card. I think they prefer it that way, anyway!

It gets really busy and it takes a bit for them to make your order, but it's a great deal for breakfast or lunch if you don't mind waiting. I wish I could go more, but sometimes my health takes precedence! :)

Love their breakfast tacos and had their pollo asada tacos for lunch once, which were delicious as well.

My only beef is that they're woefully ill-equipped to deal with cash purchases. My very first time, all I had was $5, but I only wanted ONE breakfast taco. But they kept the entire $5 because they didn't have change and didn't even offer to give me a second taco to at least make up for the lack of change. I was running short on time, so just left it. I just brushed it off to them needing the $2 more than I did, but I'm not really in the habit of tipping 40% before I've had a chance to try the product...

If you do go, pay with a credit/debit card. I think they prefer it that way, anyway!

It gets really busy and it takes a bit for them to make your order, but it's a great deal for breakfast or lunch if you don't mind waiting. I wish I could go more, but sometimes my health takes precedence! :)

Sorry amigo!! That shouldn't had happend!! Next time you come we will give you an extra taco or you money back! We hope we can serve you again!

Osiris@districttaco.com

A few weekends ago, I was in Atlantic City to help my friend celebrate his 40th birthday. It has been almost eight years since I have been to AC, but I have been to Vegas maybe 20 times in that timeframe. Anyway, we were sitting there on Saturday night/Sunday morning playing blackjack in the Borgata when I started to look around and noticed that the place was absolutely mobbed! I asked the dealer, "Why are there so many people here?" She told me, "There is a Rihanna and Ke$ha concert here tonight." To which I replied, "Who the fuck is Ke$ha!?" The dealer, who was probably 60 years old, started to chuckle.

At that point, at the ripe age of 34, I realized that I was no longer cool. I literally had no idea who Ke$ha was, I never watched the Jersey Shore, I could never imagine wearing a baseball hat with such a flat brim. I basically turned into my father overnight.

And, that is the reason why I never even thought about trying to figure out what the hell is going on with food trucks these days. I have obviously read about them and I have heard people talk about them, I even logged some time with the new Food Network show about them. But, the idea of me going online and trying to look at Twitter to figure out where on Earth a truck would be that day so I could stalk them seemed crazy to me. Because, once again, I am no longer cool, and this whole situation just seemed beyond me.

Then, later this morning, I was walking around the streets of Crystal City and I saw a line in front of a little food truck. Could this be one of these fancy dancy food trucks that everyone was talking about? A quick peek at the sign told me that it was the District Taco truck, I vaguely remember hearing about them before, so I stood in line, put down my $5 for two pork tacos and waited a few minutes for my order.

The minute that I bit into them while sitting on a bench on a wonderful 72 degree day, I realized that I needed to smack my ass into the future and stop being such a fuddy duddy. I may never embrace the fact that I have to actually search the internet to figure out where my favorite mobile restaurant may be on a particular day, but I'm not going to let this type of great food pass me by anymore, no matter how much it pains me to try to have to be cool and hip again.

For a place that sets up shop exclusively on the VA side of the river I think someone should sue them for false advertising

I wish we had better taco truck lunch options downtown ...

I believe one of the articles floating about them stated that they originally were going to open up shop in DC, hence the name. But by the time they found out that things weren't going to work in the district, they had already registered their name as a business.

A new Korean taco truck was milling around 11th and F I think, today, so a sort of half wish answered?

I believe one of the articles floating about them stated that they originally were going to open up shop in DC, hence the name. But by the time they found out that things weren't going to work in the district, they had already registered their name as a business.

A new Korean taco truck was milling around 11th and F I think, today, so a sort of half wish answered?

Correct. The original intention was to get into the DC market but that proved waaaaaay more difficult than imagined. The process for starting in Arlington was quite easy so they decided to set up there, develop a following, and work on DC in the meantime. It's a work in progress because the folks in DC don't make this an easy thing to accomplish. Rest assured that folks are working actively on the issue though. A growing groundswell of popular opinion would make it easier to convince the authorities in DC to issue more vendor licenses and make available a greater variety of street food options there. So, if you have an opinion, make it heard.

n.b. - District Taco WILL BE IN DC this Saturday Aug 28th at the Columbia Heights Day festival from 10am-6pm. Harriet Tubman Elementary (11th & Kenyon St NW).

They have opened up in the old Vero space on Lee Highway in North Arlington. Went there for breakfast in Saturday. It was fairly crowded at 8 am and the food was excellent. There is a definite void for a family-friendly breakfast place in Arlington--north of 50 there there is Silver Diner, Metro 29 and I think that's it. I could see them doing very well. Tacos were excellent, friendly staff, etc.

We arrived at District Taco at 12:00 Noon on Sunday and it was pretty packed. It took a while to get through the line (10 people in front of us) and even longer to get our food once we ordered it (15 minutes). We didn't mind the wait because, for once, we weren't overly busy, but they clearly have several kinks to work out in their process. When we left, there were at least a dozen people in line outside of the store, good to see that they are doing brisk business, but a little frustrating if you are standing in line.

Things we really liked - the guacamole, the Boylan Soda machine, the quesadillas (even though they were a bit greasy), the pork and tortillas for the tacos.

Things that need work - the chips are too thin, the prices seem to be a bit out of line with the truck, the grilled vegetables were cut way too big.

When you go to the District Taco Truck, you can get 3 tacos for $7. The tacos at the restaurant are $2.25 each, which are actually cheaper, per taco, than the truck, but they limit the number of toppings that you can get. At the truck, you can get all the toppings for no extra charge, at the restaurant you can only pick three toppings and then each additional topping is 50 cents each. I am actually fine with them charging 50 cents for bacon, chorizo or guacamole, I think that it legit, but to charge extra for the other toppings is a bit "cheap" to me. You want grilled vegetables, lettuce, cheese and sour cream? That is 50 cents extra. Add jalapenos, that is another 50 cents. Add pico de gallo, that is another 50 cents. In my opinion, if you have free toppings, they should be free, don't make the people stand in line and fret about what toppings to get (which I did). By the way, grilled vegetables, cheese and sour cream is not the way to go, it could have used some spice.

Still, it is a great place and a very welcome restaurant to the neighborhood, they just need some time to work out the kinks.

I went this weekend as well. I was disappointed overall. I thought the prices were too high across the board for the portions/atmosphere. The chips are too thin and very greasy. It's nice that they are making them in house but I think they need to learn how. Also, I did not find the food that flavorful. It needed better seasoning across the board.

I'm sure they'll pull it together as there is a big team behind the project with goals of creating a franchise and/or chain.

There is a definite void for a family-friendly breakfast place in Arlington--north of 50 there there is Silver Diner, Metro 29 and I think that's it. I could see them doing very well. Tacos were excellent, friendly staff, etc.

I found myself needing to find such a place a little after 9AM last Sunday. Having just dropped one kid off, I had an hour to kill and a two year old who absolutely did not want to go home. Fortunately District Taco was open and we were able to grab some breakfast tacos. I did not notice any of the seasoning issues mentioned and both the little one and I were quite happy. As for the prices, I had actually expected them to go up more than they did.

I went this weekend as well. I was disappointed overall. I thought the prices were too high across the board for the portions/atmosphere. The chips are too thin and very greasy. It's nice that they are making them in house but I think they need to learn how. Also, I did not find the food that flavorful. It needed better seasoning across the board.

I'm sure they'll pull it together as there is a big team behind the project with goals of creating a franchise and/or chain.

Hey, sorry for your less than perfect experience but we have heard your feedback and are working on refining numerous aspects of our operation. Keep in mind that District Taco started very small as a food cart so it has some wrinkles to work out as it grows. Hopefully you will give us another chance and we will have improved. Thanks again for giving us a shot.

Came here for the first time last night and will definitely return. Found most everything above average and ditto thumbs up for the Boylan soda fountain. Had a carnitas burrito, lady had a carne asada burrito. Found mine to be pretty much perfect. Carnitas were extremely tender, well seasoned and really juicy. Nice heat with the fresh jalapeno. Was a little less enthusiastic about the carne asada..was pretty chewy (as it can be) and less moist. I'm also trying to find out what was so spicy in her burrito..either the black beans or the grilled veggies? I love heat (pain, in fact) so didn't bother me but she was a little surprised.

Chips, salsa and guac were all very good. Particularly liked the harbanero salsa.

Now for my minor qualm - there is something disorienting about how the menu is constructed and organized. I'm not the only one right!? Just paralyzing somehow. I have to imagine this is slowing order times. I couldn't put my finger on it..contemplated taking a picture. As someone else mentioned, the pricing structure for taco toppings is also a little bizarre - part of the reason I just went with the burrito.

All in all, yet another great addition to the area and certainly grounds to skip Chipotle!

Came here for the first time last night and will definitely return. Found most everything above average and ditto thumbs up for the Boylan soda fountain. Had a carnitas burrito, lady had a carne asada burrito. Found mine to be pretty much perfect. Carnitas were extremely tender, well seasoned and really juicy. Nice heat with the fresh jalapeno. Was a little less enthusiastic about the carne asada..was pretty chewy (as it can be) and less moist. I'm also trying to find out what was so spicy in her burrito..either the black beans or the grilled veggies? I love heat (pain, in fact) so didn't bother me but she was a little surprised.

Chips, salsa and guac were all very good. Particularly liked the harbanero salsa.

Now for my minor qualm - there is something disorienting about how the menu is constructed and organized. I'm not the only one right!? Just paralyzing somehow. I have to imagine this is slowing order times. I couldn't put my finger on it..contemplated taking a picture. As someone else mentioned, the pricing structure for taco toppings is also a little bizarre - part of the reason I just went with the burrito.

All in all, yet another great addition to the area and certainly grounds to skip Chipotle!

I agree about the menu. Can't put my finger on it, but I found myself in line staring at it and barely being able to order when I got to the front of the line (I was in line for about five minutes). I notice that Quiznos menu is confusing as hell as well. By the way, the menu is not the only thing that has kept me away from Quiznos, the food sucked as well.

Had tacos today at District Taco. I didn't realize the default was flour tortillas, and then didn't see on the menu that you could request corn, although I see it on the online menu (Is it on the restaurant menu?). Anyway am really glad they have corn, because that means I will be back, fairly often. Not that the flour tasted bad, I am just not supposed to eat it.

I loved the tacos. I got one of each chicken, steak and carnitas with roasted veggies, cheese and lettuce. I then got the hot salsa and medium salsa off the salsa bar. My favorite were the carne asada, I really loved it with the hot salsa. I thought the meat had great flavor and the veggies gave it good crunch, they were cooked but not overcooked. Hubby is in complete disagreement, his favorite were the carnitas because it was so juicy and flavorful. Both of us liked the chicken, but it wasn't our favorite. Both the hot salsa and medium salsa were great. I really loved the salsa bar. And the boylan sodas! Service was quick and efficient.

They were doing a good business when we were there, not a long line, but very steady, lots of families. Yay District Taco!!!

It will be added to regular taco rotation with TECC and Taqueria Poblano.

What a great set of people running this restaurant. The owner stopped by to say hello, ask us if everything was all right, ask if he could get us anything. My Burrito Mojado was massive and really good, definitely a spicy kick and absolutely loaded with meat as opposed to filler rice and beans. Trying as hard as I can to stay away from food like this right now as I'm attempting to lose some weight, but if I'm in the area and due for a splurge this will be my first pick

Finally got around to hitting there today for lunch. Perhaps because I watched Machete last night.

I got one each of the carnitas, carne asada, and chicken, with sour cream, cheese, and veggies. When I first got mine I was kind of like "that's it?" but damn, they were good and filling.

I didn't get around to trying the habanero salsa and regret it. OH NOES I NEED TO GO BACK AGAIN.

Oh, and the tortilla chips were quite tasty too!

Dinner tonight with four moms, three toddlers (plus 2 three year olds who had already eaten). Had three tacos, guac, and Boylan's (looking forward to their liquor license because a Corona would have been tasty). Kids had quesadillas chips and guac. All fresh, tasty and nothing left except the chips. The workers were incredibly nice and helpful with the kids and, I think, one of the owners checked on us to see how we liked everything.

Me like. More please. We'll be back.

Was at District Taco on Sunday- as I had eggs and potatoes the day before so I went for normal tacos, although the breakfast ones looked great. I got one chicken two steak with grilled veggies, cheese and lettuce. I then judiciously added a mix of mild and hot salsa from the bar to each taco. AND I got the corn tortillas which were very good.

While the chicken was good, I just really like their steak tacos. But I love the tacos here. I want to take my brother and his LA loving Wife here because I think she will love the vibe (and I am trying to convince them to buy their new house in VA so....). There was a steady stream of customers the whole time we were there, and I am so happy to see this place busy. I wish I could buy a whole jar of their salsa, I really like the flavor. I just like that the meat has great flavor and tastes so freshly grilled. The veggies are crisp, the tortillas are good. Everything just tastes fresh and good like it was made with care, even just a simple taco. And the salsa bar is really a nice thing to have.

Next time I am only getting two tacos so I can also get chips.

Hubby had a huge smothered burrito which he seemed to like. I am not a big fan of smothering a burrito, but I don't eat burritos anymore anyway. Their burrito is enormous though.

Oh and if you are ordering tacos make sure to have them punch a card for you they add up quick and after ten you get a free one!

Does anyone know what happened to them yesterday afternoon? We stopped by and ordered from the food truck as the restaurant was not open. Power seemed to be on as we sat inside, but I assume something wasn't working. Good thing they had the truck as there was still a line. We had a couple tacos from the truck. I was a little bummed that I couldn't get chips as that is what I was really craving, on the way over after a trip to the auto parts store I was licking my lips for some fresh chips with some of their chips and salsa, but the tacos were still good, limited options in terms of meat and sides. I had the barbacoa, I had never had it before, it was flavorful, but a little soupy (this may have been due to the truck not sure haven't had it at the storefront). I would order it again though as it tasted good, but I still favor the steak as my favorite.

Just wondering what happened, hope they recovered quickly.

Does anyone know what happened to them yesterday afternoon? We stopped by and ordered from the food truck as the restaurant was not open. Power seemed to be on as we sat inside, but I assume something wasn't working.

Their Twitter feed, which you can get on their home page, said they lost power in one-half of the building. Must be the half you couldn't see. B)

Their Twitter feed, which you can get on their home page, said they lost power in one-half of the building. Must be the half you couldn't see. B)

Thank you bunches! Unfortunately it must have been the half they need for cooking, as there was lights, music and A/C. Good thing they have a food truck!

Thank you bunches! Unfortunately it must have been the half they need for cooking, as there was lights, music and A/C. Good thing they have a food truck!

Hola amigos,

When we came that Morning on Sunday our Hoods and AC were not working. It was weird because the lights and the outlets had power. However, our AC and Hoods need a lot of electricity and it looks one of the fuses from the outside burnout because of the storm we had that morning. As you can tell we can cook but we are not good electricians. I called my electrician very early that morning and when he got to DTHQ said that one of the phases were out ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power). We called Dominion power around 10am and they came around 2pm. They took 30 minutes to fix the problem.

Gracias for the Torito (the cart) that was around and we were able to serve tacos and burritos.

We grill our meats every day and we don't have leftover for the next day. Unfortunate we couldn't grill that day till later that afternoon.

Gracias amigos for your support and we hope to see you again at DTHQ.

Orale!!

My wife and I barely beat the buzzer last night as we walked in at about 8:59pm (and I felt like a jackass for doing so, but sometimes you need tacos) and were the last order of the night. Saw several potential orders (including a very disappointed little baseball player and his dad, I hope they had a good Plan B...) turned away by the locked door. My point in saying this is twofold: (1) District Taco is completely awesome and (2) they need to extend their hours to 10pm on weeknights. The place was PACKED at 8:59, at least 30-40 people enjoying their food. For too long, I've seen great little restaurants fail soon after opening due to lack of interest...it's refreshing to see one doing so well in a tough economy. They deserve it.