Tomatillo Taqueria, South Dupont Circle - Quick Carryout Lunches under The Big Hunt - Closed

Dupont Circles ever expanding set of lunch options just got a little bigger. Tomatillo Taqueria operates out of the bay window of The Big Hunt (right next door to the new Kabab place which was hiring today) and is a welcome and cheap addition to the hood.

3 Tacos $6 (beef, chicken, pork or veggie, choice of 6/7 gratis toppings, except guac which will run you $1)

Burrito $6

Some side dishes (chips and salsa etc)

I went for the Tacos and was impressed. Interested to hear others opinions.

My assistant and I had a hankering for some early morning tacos and headed over at 10:30. They don't open at 11. Imagine our confusion when we arrived at the address and saw nothing that looked like a taco joint. "Is it upstairs?"

No, they literally just open up the window of the Big Hunt and serve from there.

I love that they're actually reasonably sized portions - perfect for lunch - rather than 1500 calorie behemoths.

Wish they had sour cream, though.

My coworkers and I stopped by here last Friday. We all thought it was very good. I had the barbacoa which was similar to Chipotle but less spice. Coworkers had chicken which they remarked was juicier than Chipotle. The size of the burrito is a bit smaller than Chipotle but still very filling, as others have remarked. I found their salsas and guac to be rather good. I particularly thought the tomatillo salsa was very good - it had nice heat and was balanced.

All in all for $6 ($7 with guac) it is a pretty solid burrito.

Great question - 11-2 only

I would imagine evening hours would be difficult because of its location in a bar

Actually, they would clean up if they were open late nights b/c all the bar-goers get the munchies and pack Julia's Empanadas nearby. Mwahahaha (evil laugh), I hope they do open weekend late nights..that way I won't have to wait so long or deal with obnoxious, wasted people at Julia's when I'm waiting to get my empanada and saltena fix.

Stopped by for lunch today. Pretty damn good for a burrito sold on the street out of the Big Hunt's window. Agree with the Chipotle alternative comments, I think I'd rather get my burrito fix here (that is until the Pedro & Vinny's cart #2 is allowed to park across the street again!). Had the pork which was much more flavorful/saucier than Chipotle (whose carnitas taste primarily of salt).

Are their menu items on Big Hunt's menu by any chance?

I seriously doubt it. This seems to be a smalltime operation that just shares the space.

It's a completely different experience (roadside stand versus seedy bar).

Let me put it this way. If Teatro Goldoni and the Teatro Goldoni chef's table are different enough to warrant their own threads, so is this. :angry:

In case anyone didn't get my tweet :), Tomatillo Taqueria is now closed for good, and will be reopening next spring as (the now closed) Tacos Impala on H Street.

(Do follow me on twitter - I try to only tweet things that people actually might be interested in.)

---

Oh, and in case anyone missed it, here's Justin Rude's piece from The Washington Post's Going out Gurus blog dealing with the exact same subject. And also Eater DC's typical cut-and-paste echo piece here. Uh, no, Ms. McKeever, 'the Going out Gurus did not have some bad news today' - I did. I had an 11 AM meeting at Yola, walked by Tomatillo Taqueria beforehand, saw the sign, and put that tweet out at around 10:55 AM.

Nice piece of original journalism there, Justin. Here's an excerpt from The Washington Post's Digital Publishing Guidelines, specifically under the section entitled "Attribution." The next time someone like me is out walking the streets of South Dupont with a cell phone, and tweets a piece of news they come across in person, why don't you try to abide by these standards when you write your blog piece thirty minutes later?