Capital Harvest on the Plaza

Thank you for posting! I work in the RRB but don't ever enter or exit that side of the building and would have (embarassingly!) missed this. Excitiiiiiing...

There will be TWO "demonstration" markets -- one on Friday the 16th October and the other a month later in November.

I am currently munching on wild strawberries ($4.50/quart), looking forward to aged goat cheese with cocktail hour ($5 for a small wedge) and maple-glazed prosciutto biscuits ($8) for breakfast, and mulling what to do with a pound of smoked kielbasa ($13).

Expensive, but still: yay for the Reagan Building Farmer's Market!

By the way, they have a new name and a web site: Capital Harvest on the Plaza.

I am currently munching on wild strawberries ($4.50/quart),...Expensive, but still: yay for the Reagan Building Farmer's Market!

Those are the cheapest strawberries I've heard of this season. At the four weekend markets I have been to since the season started they have ranged $5-7 a quart.

Those are the cheapest strawberries I've heard of this season. At the four weekend markets I have been to since the season started they have ranged $5-7 a quart.

Yeah, I thought the cost of the strawberries was fine (they were $5 at the rest of the stalls). I was just smarting at a $13 kielbasa and an $8 bag of small biscuits. Maybe I'm just out of the groove of farmers markets, but $21 seems like an awful lot for a sausage and some biscuits.

Having been away for the last month, today was my first opportunity to visit the Reagan Building market this year. While I love the fact that it's there, I was kind of surprised by the stalls. There are about 15 now, and I believe only four were selling produce, and three of those were really limited. I appreciate having interesting locally prepared foods available like smoked meats, nuts, granola, and honey, but I go to farmers' markets for the beautiful fruits and veggies. I know it's still early in the season, but it was a bit of a letdown. I hope the balance shifts back a bit so I don't have to resort to getting my lazy ass motivated to get to a weekend morning market... B)

I swung thru today as well. The produce offerings were limited...but I don't remember there being a greater number of produce stalls there last year. It seems to have expanded with more artisan food vendors and the same number of fruit/produce vendors as last year.

However, I did feel like the vendors were offering more in the way of prepared food for lunch time eating...which really is probably much more of a money maker with a Friday lunch time crowd.

still a handy little market to have across the street from my office!

I hope the balance shifts back a bit so I don't have to resort to getting my lazy ass motivated to get to a weekend morning market... B)

You don't. There are Thursday afternoon markets at Penn Quarter and on Vermont Ave. near the White House. Plus, I understand there's a market by the GWU hospital on Wednesday afternoons, IIRC. I went to the Friday Reagan building market once last year and couldn't find much to buy in terms of fresh produce, so haven't been back. I already hit the markets twice a week, so there had better be darned good reason for me to go to another one.

So this market is now pretty much all food vendors.  There are perhaps 5 fruit/veg stalls and only two have a wide variety of produce.  Most of the food vendors had good sized lines and looked like they were doing robust business.  Really, it probably makes the most sense for this area.  Still a good option if you want to pick up some basic produce before weekend farmer's market shopping...tomatoes, corn, peppers, cucumbers, blueberries, peaches all to be found.