Bar-B-Que House, Pitmaster Sylvester Whitaker on Route 1 in North Laurel - Closed

Go to BBQ house in Laurel. Best I have had in the area.(DC and Balto)

If this is the place I think it is, I remember it as being the best barbecue I knew of about 15 years ago (although everything has changed since then, including yours truly). I remember a place on Route 1 (on the left side of the street heading north), very close to the Howard County line, where there was some sort of window-enclosed eating area (or maybe a plastic-enclosed tent-like structure, can't quite remember), and I'd almost always come here instead of Red Hot and Blue (although I used to enjoy a carryout salad with smoked chicken at RH&Blue). If this is the same place, I'm really interested in coming back.

Cheers,

Rocks

Is this the one by Island Liquors in the median strip right before the roads come back together? There used to be a great BBQ truck on Rt 1 in South Laurel (King's BBQ) but it hasn't been there for years. I might have to try this one tonight!

Spectacular. I went to Bar-B-Que House based on this post, and it was terrific. Best part were the onion rings that were the answer to days of craving. Crispy rings. A sweet onion taste inside. Thin, golden coating. Spicy barbeque sauce for dipping. The rings stayed warm and crisp while I ate a pulled pork sandwich, and each ring lived up to the hope that had driven me since last weekend.

The pork was a really tasty sandwich, although it was more sugar and less vinegar than I normally want. But that's just personal preference. The meat was tender, and it had the real flavor and texture of pork. Mass-produced meat can be so soft that it disappears into the sauce. The Bar-B-Que House serves real meat, which I doctored with the spiciest sauce, and I didn't leave until I had dipped every bit of the every-day roll to savor that spice.

In the end, the sandwich was on par with the Kloby's Smokehouse sandwich, which the post office also calls Laurel, but which is actually between Columbia and Fulton on Johns Hopkins Road. That's well-cooked pork with an interesting sauce.

I finally used my 20 dollar living social and that plus some change got me a feast. I ordered the sampler. which is a half rack, quarter chicken, and choice of pulled pork, pit beef, or brisket. I went pulled pork. Everything was smoky, rich, and dense. Ribs and chicken fell off the bone. 3 sauce choices I think, including two on the spicy side. I'm no BBQ expert but this crushes the local chains easily and also surpasses urban, which I am not a fan of but many seem to like. I'll certainly return.

I've gotten takeout here several times, including as recently as last week but have always forgotten to post a review. I am grateful to have found this place so I can stop going to Famous Dave's or Shane's Rib Shack in moments of desparation. The ribs are consistently my favorite, but the chicken is always really solid as well (and that's from someone who would much prefer beef or pork to chicken). Pulled pork is also good and not particularly saucy so you can sauce to your liking from one of the 3: mild, hot, forget what they call the extra hot one, but even that one isn't over the top. I like to douse the pulled pork in the middle sauce personally.

Sides unfortunately are inconsistent. Juliusc91 told me the mac 'n cheese he had was great. Both times mine has been dried out and overcooked and really unenjoyable. If you're looking for beans with nice chunks of pork in them, you won't find those here. Their beans are more of a basic beans and sauce you might expect from a can although I like the flavor and they're thick. Collards have consistently been good. I can't recall what else I've had.

You certainly get a ton of food for the price. With some homemade potato salad of my own and an extra side added on, the sampler platter got me 4 meals.

Oh, and Don, the place you describe fits so I think you are thinking of BBQ House.

If this is the place I think it is, I remember it as being the best barbecue I knew of about 15 years ago (although everything has changed since then, including yours truly). I remember a place on Route 1 (on the left side of the street heading north), very close to the Howard County line, where there was some sort of window-enclosed eating area (or maybe a plastic-enclosed tent-like structure, can't quite remember), and I'd almost always come here instead of Red Hot and Blue (although I used to enjoy a carryout salad with smoked chicken at RH&Blue). If this is the same place, I'm really interested in coming back.

Cheers,

Rocks

Well, it looks Mr. Whitaker sold the business to Mr. Gadsby.

Sylvester may still be running the kitchen. There is a Groupon today, and the test still talks up Sylvester. http://www.groupon.com/deals/the-bar-b-que-house?pt=aUYPEKzAAAACrFFqa2yB6qxWRSvr7z5xg

I noticed that on another medium a couple weeks ago - it might just be a lazy cut-and-paste; or, it's possible that (as you imply) he sold the business, and is still cooking.