Holy crap!! The sticky buns at Carlyle have pecans, NOT walnuts anymore!! Holy shite. And the nerve not baking that poor, poor chatter her own walnut buns. I just don't know how I can get through my day with this news. I mean first there's starving people in Africa, then the bombings in London and now THIS???

What in thee H- E double hockey sticks is this world comming to?

Solo Vegetarian Bug Lover: I was dining solo the other night, and felt rushed so I invited

the cockroach on the floor to join me. Since they had a

vegetarian menu for Restaurant week, he accepted. The

management then comped my entire meal because the sun

had set a bit too quickly.

I will still never go back.

Tom Sietsema: I think I know who this is. And yes, you made me laugh.

This sounds like Rocks to me.

Holy crap!! The sticky buns at Carlyle have pecans, NOT walnuts anymore!! Holy shite. And the nerve not baking that poor, poor chatter her own walnut buns. I just don't know how I can get through my day with this news. I mean first there's starving people in Africa, then the bombings in London and now THIS???

What in thee H- E double hockey sticks is this world comming to?

I seemed to have read this differently. The poster was trying to find for sure that the buns had pecans and not walnuts and wasn't able to get an adequate answer. Am I missing something here? :P

Edited by Barbara

I guess my point was "so what"?? just don't eat them? If this is enough to tip your boat, you got bigger issues than sticky buns. Ugh.

Noted. However, I don't have any food allergies that I know of, but am sympathetic to those who do. To a point.

Wasn't me. I only offered my support for the 15th and K burrito. Seems to be a decent chat this week, though, not too heavy on the bitching as it sometimes is.

So you're the refried/mango fan? What else do you get on it? Sour cream, guac? I'm not a big refried fa, but if it's dressed properly I'll give it a try.

Have you ever tried the 17th and K burrito guy? I've been curious how his offerings are.

I guess my point was "so what"?? just don't eat them? If this is enough to tip your boat, you got bigger issues than sticky buns. Ugh.

It seems like it would have been an easy question to answer, and they refused to do so. I certainly did not read the post as someone asking them to prepare anything differently. He just wanted to know what a major ingredient was. I have had nothing but excellent service at any of the GAR, but I see no reason to belittle someone's complaint that the restaurant would not answer a simple question. I don't believe that the issue is the sticky buns; it is the restaurant's refusal to answer the question.

Yes, very vague post about Eve. I can attest to the tasting room being a mind -blowing experience. Tom was all about positive support though.

I guess if in fact there are rumors floating around out there that Eve's tasting room has slipped, Tom was justified in using the comment and in dispelling the rumor.

So you're the refried/mango fan? What else do you get on it? Sour cream, guac? I'm not a big refried fa, but if it's dressed properly I'll give it a try.

Have you ever tried the 17th and K burrito guy? I've been curious how his offerings are.

Haven't tried 17th and K. The 15th and K guy has sour cream, guac, and salsa, none of which I take. Most of my work pals get black and tan (refried red beans and black whole ones) but I've found the black beans aren't always good. Mainly I'm just a sucker for that mango sauce, which I picked from his selection of 40 or so bottles, everything from mildish Cholula to tonguebusters like Predator and Dave's Insanity.

Never leave the burrito on your desk for half an hour and try to eat it later, though. The tasty pliable refried material, as it cools, takes all on the texture and appeal of spackle.

Anybody know what that rumoured pizza place thing was about? Can't think of any "popular" joints on Connecticut that have an empty space next door, except maybe Dino, and I figured it's a little early to start speculating about Dean's second location considering his first one has been open exactly a week.

Anybody know what that rumoured pizza place thing was about? Can't think of any "popular" joints on Connecticut that have an empty space next door, except maybe Dino, and I figured it's a little early to start speculating about Dean's second location considering his first one has been open exactly a week.

I thougt he was talking about Frank Ruta and (cough cough) Palena.

I never heard of/had New Haven style pizze before. Does anyone know how it differes from other styles?

I know that many consider New Haven pizza to be the best in America. Two of the most famous spots are Pepe's and Sally's. White clam pizza seems to be big in New Haven as well.

One site explains that the crust on a New Haven pizza is a little thicker and doughier than New York style. Additionally, there sauce/cheese ratio is more heavily focused on the tomatoes than the mozzarella. Lastly, New Haven places seem to leave the pies in long enough that the oil separates from the cheese, rises to the top of the pie, and almost seems to "fry" the mozzarella, giving it a mottled golden-brown color

There goes that 90-minute limit myth about Ray's the Steaks again.

Last night I got to Sonoma at 6:20, and they said the table was booked at 7:30 and that I'd need to vacate by then. I happily took it, and left by 7:25.

So ... where's the problem?

The problem is that there is no generalized 90 minute limit at Ray's. You only run into it if you make an early reservation after all of the time slots immediately after your time are book and he needs your table for people who were already booked. Tom himself seemed to be of the false impression that all diners at Ray's were subjected to a 90 minute limit when in fact that limit will apply to very few diners at that restaurant.

So it's true, fine dining in this town ain't what it used to be:

Washington, D.C.: Le Pavilion, haven't thought of that in years, I remember going there right after the premiere of "GoodFellas" in l990, Monsieur Cam came out to meet me and I got groped by a member of the waitstaff in one of the alcoves. Those were good old days.

PS: Didn't a certain acquaintance of ours use to wait tables there around that time? Charles?

Edited by Stretch

It's been a while since a restaurant's been put through the ringer.  Sad day for Poste.  Anyone been lately who can validate the rampant complaints?

I had a very good dinner there back in April, but haven't been since. Unless there's been some change in management, I'd think it would still be a solid restaurant.

Had a burger and truffled fries, both of which were great, at Poste a few months back, but that was followed by a lackluster brunch with a very uncomfortable server who forgot several things and kept spilling the coffee refills.

Washington, D.C.: Went to Galileo last night for Restaurant Week. I checked the Post's website and found that all four of the user reviews were negative. They said the service was poor and snooty and the food wasn't up to par. Well, as a poor federal worker who could only do Galileo this week, none of that was true. The service was perfect and polite and the food was divine. So much for the reviewers!

Tom Sietsema: Yeah, I'm not a big fan of online reviewers, either. I mean, who ARE they? I have no idea whether JaneLovesFood or BobLikes28 know anything about food, or if they have hidden agendas."

Which is why, of course, I have long given them both of them and their anonymous bastard offspring free rein to hurl all sorts of imprecations at various restaurants through the medium of ... erm ... this very chat.

Tom Sietsema: Wow, I feel like I just sat in on an hour-long restaurant business class! Thanks for taking the time to address the crowd today, Ms. Cominsky.

And diners, remember to address problems as they occur.

And drivers, remember to always respect the speed limit.

Sincerely yours,

Officer Tom Sietsema

Driving 80 mph on the way to Dunkin' Donuts

Tom Sietsema: Recently, I dined at a place where I wasn't sure I was known. The waiter blew it when he showed up with me wine a few minutes late and said, "We chilled it for you, sir."

that was most likely notti bianche. what mr. seitsema failed to mention was that we chill all bottles of red wine before being served to bring them to the proper temperature.

this raises an interesting point, however. i would guess that seitsema is recognized in most upscale and fine dining places. the first time i saw him (4 years ago) one of my servers brought it to my attention. i then made sure that everyone in the restaurant found a way to sneak a look. this has surely happened in so many places and given the high turnover of this business, his anominity is shot in my mind. i, for one, am tired of playing the "i know who you are but you don't want me to know" game. i wish i could simply introduce myself, welcome him to my restaurant, and give him a table. just as i would for any other person that i recognized but did not know.

Washington, D.C.: Hi Tom, I noticed that in one of the more reputable online food chats, restaurant workers (servers/hosts) are posting berating comments about diners – especially in the wake of restaurant week.

Although the customers are kept anonymous, do you think that it is appropriate?

Tom Sietsema: Everyone needs a place to vent. I'm guessing the restaurant workers feel comfortable doing so in said chats.

Mwahahahahah :P start "spank the hostess" game.

And kudos for being called "more reputable."

I can't believe that uptight Peruvian! First of all, with the exception of my stint at Habor Ligths, in Bethany Beach, DL, 90% of dishwashers are immigrants, from South America or Africa. ANd if you read Kitchen Confidential, Bourdain prefers to train them as chefs instead of some CIA grad.

Edited by DCMark

I love Tom, but more and more I think he's falling into a trap of presenting a comment (his or someone else's) and letting the chatters respond and respond and respond--pretty soon, we're not talking about food anymore. I'm all about presenting "The Other Side," as he puts it, but that shouldn't come at the expense of the rest of our questions.

I really do love Tom, though, and I think it's great that he takes the time and energy to do the weekly chat.

Yo- Hillgrrrl, you go!

But, bigger tips when you're in a large party? I will respectfully listen to anybody currently on the floor, but when I was waiting, we used to consider those things cash cows. Much better to run one large party, especially if they have a set menu, than four little ones.

Yo-  Hillgrrrl, you go!

But, bigger tips when you're in a large party?  I will respectfully listen to anybody currently on the floor, but when I was waiting, we used to consider those things cash cows. Much better to run one large party, especially if they have a set menu, than four little ones.

Ya want bigger tips?

Make out with the bikers at the bar.