1762 replies to this topic

#1751 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Wow that took it to a whole new level of weirdness.  Do you think they told the server that?  I wonder what type of dish it is, dessert, or like spaghetti?  I don't want to know, oh but I do, oh no no no I don't.  In my professional line of work I come across a lot of weird stuff, that one, nope can't say I have ever heard that one.

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#1752 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

Are there any other inquiring minds out there who want to a little more about this?  And are slightly frightened of finding out?

It was the "intimately" that did it for me.  It's not that odd for people to order an extra dish to take home.  They know they won't have time to make lunch/dinner the next day or something, or they're going to be up all night working.   That's not what this seemed to be. The wording was interesting.

#1753 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,503 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

It was the "intimately" that did it for me.  It's not that odd for people to order an extra dish to take home.  They know they won't have time to make lunch/dinner the next day or something, or they're going to be up all night working.   That's not what this seemed to be. The wording was interesting.

I haven’t read this yet, but I often over-order, knowing what I’ll be having for lunch the next day (or, depending on how much I have to drink, what I’ll be having at 1 AM). ;)

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1754 ChiantiandFava

ChiantiandFava

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

I've been googling but I can't find a restaurant that offers a raw cucumber covered in whipped cream as an entree. 

• saf likes this

Perpetually reverse-commuting.

#1755 B.A.R.

B.A.R.

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

I've been googling but I can't find a restaurant that offers a raw cucumber covered in whipped cream as an entree. 

try it with yogurt instead. ;)

Brian Reymann
I'm in the business but content here solely my own and is not associated with my employer at all.

Sometimes, I try to disassociate myself from my own opinions.

#1756 Toogs

Toogs

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

nevermind, the techies at wapo just suck

#1757 Tujague

Tujague

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

Maybe I'm just in a junior-high frame of mind, but I'm not sure which made me snigger more in this morning's chat: the person who was excited that their "top" was taking them to dinner at Rasika, or Tom announcing, "My computer went down on me twice!" Or maybe editing a deadly dull manuscript just makes me more susceptible to innuendo.

• DonRocks likes this

"There's no need to get snippy. I'm just doing my job here."--Marge Gunderson, Fargo

#1758 MsDiPesto

MsDiPesto

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

Did you see the nastygram someone sent into his chat yesterday, March 26?

Q.
Time for someone new
Isnt the Wp giving early outs? If so why dont you take one so subscribers and readers can enjoy someone new. Someone who isnt so prissy and pretentious and has a clue about food. Its time for you to start checking out assisted living communities.

A.
Tom Sietsema :

Have a nice day!

– March 26, 2014 11:18 AM

My reply would not have been nearly as gracious as Tom's.

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch. - James Beard

#1759 Bart

Bart

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

I saw that too and wondered why he even bothered posting it. 

And talk about a pointless complaint.  I would have liked to see examples of how he is prissy, prententious and has no clue about food.   Instead he basically said "you're old and you suck".

#1760 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

I saw that too and wondered why he even bothered posting it. 

And talk about a pointless complaint.  I would have liked to see examples of how he is prissy, prententious and has no clue about food.   Instead he basically said "you're old and you suck".

I think he posts this stuff to show people what kind of crap he has to put up with generally.

• MsDiPesto likes this

#1761 MsDiPesto

MsDiPesto

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

I think he posts this stuff to show people what kind of crap he has to put up with generally.

You are probably right. Compare the comments section of the NYT (thoughtful, insightful) for any story to that of the WaPo (hillbilly cage match).

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch. - James Beard

#1762 SeanMike

SeanMike

Pan-Human Alcoholist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

You are probably right. Compare the comments section of the NYT (thoughtful, insightful) for any story to that of the WaPo (hillbilly cage match).

You're insulting hillbillies with that comparison. Most of the ones I know also know not to get into the WaPo comments section (or, at least, most of them - the weather gang and Carolyn Hax comments seem pretty okay.)

http://www.scofflawsden.com/
The Scofflaw's Den, Cocktails and Cigars
It just keeps going, and going, and going...
http://www.gamersinfo.net/
Video game reviews
http://www.seanmike.info
Book reviews and general life

#1763 Deac

Deac

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Tom, please find another word to describe fish than "silken," especially when referring to the black cod at Rasika. I think that word always accompanies that dish.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tom Sietsema, washingtonpost.com, Wednesdays 11-12 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users