Dangerously Delicious Pies, Baltimore-Based Bakery in the Atlas District and Union Station

Dangerously Delicious Pies is coming to DC, opening very soon at 1339 H Street (next door to H St Country Club). They had hoped to open before Thanksgiving, but have not quite yet finished everything. Thanksgiving pies (apple, pecan, pumpkin, and sweet potato) are available now via telephone order at (202) 398-PIES.

I haven't been to the Baltimore location, but I hear they are very popular, and they get some serious love in the dr.com thread on Pies.

Here's what "thelistareyouonit" has to say about them:

DDP will be stocked with a variety of different kinds of pie, sweet choices, like, coconut chess pie and mobtown brown pie (pecan Pie with Swiss Chocolate and caramel), savory selections like chicken pie and hot rod pie (layers of roasted potatoes, cream, cheeses, onions, and bacon, ham, crab, or vegetarian) and a variety of quiches. All pies are 100% handmade with only fresh ingredients, without any dyes or preservatives. Fruit is never frozen or canned. Crusts are all made by hand, with no machines and rolled out with rolling pins.

Screwed. Gubeen contacted the DC store a few days ago with an order for a small take-out party here tonight, but when she went to pick them up this afternoon she was told that they'd made a mistake in accepting an order for savories; they're not making them yet in DC. And 'someone' was supposed to have notified her earlier about that mistake. Gee, thanks.

So we're in emergency cooking mode for the next hour to replace what was supposed to be the featured item. At least their key lime and pumpkin pies *look* yummy.

23:45 ETA: That snag now behind us, a few words on the DC location's pumpkin pie. Very handmade looking, with an irregular rim and slightly bubbling over one side. Really good custard - still slightly quivery and not overly dense. Also, very spicy (and I usually go a little heavy on the spices myself). The touted crust was a disappointment though: overworked dough, no discernable flakiness, and baked pale. Porcupine declared it to be apparently completely butter-free. I'm normally a fan of a well-made crust edge, but this one just plain sucked.

After months of waiting, the DC location finally opened in early April. Which is a good thing, since I had been holding onto my Living Social deal since November ($50 for $25). The store has a nice coffeehouse feel, and a chalk board at the entrance tells you what pies they have available for the day. According to their website, the prices in DC are slightly different than their Baltimore location, as all sweet pies in DC are $28 ($6 for a slice) and savory pies are $32 ($7 for a slice). We picked up an apple pie and a coconut chess pie. Both pies were good, but I was a little disappointed in the crusts. The apple pie crust was a little doughy, and the coconut chess crust was a little greasy. There was a definite punk rock vibe in the store, and I can see picking up a slice of pie after a night of drinking of H street.

I stopped by on a whim last week - on my way home from Nats Park (I had been foiled in my helmet-sundae-for-lunch attempt). Took a piece of spinach goat cheese quiche home for early dinner.

The quiche was really quite good. Only drawback was that it's a little pricey (I make quiche often so I'm cheap on that scale).

I really liked the place. Friendly staff, nice vibe. I could see it as a hopping place late-night. A 2am pie and coffee fix? I'm thinking that would be really swell.

We took a coconut chess pie to a potluck yesterday. It was quite the hit. The crust was crispy, dark, and rich. The filling, a nice custard. We followed their directions and heated the pie for 10 minutes at 370 before serving. We will say that this was a very sweet pie, but for a party that was bigger than expected, the smaller slices worked out well (and I wasn't willing to spend $60 to bring two pies). I'll try a slice of an apple or something less sweet next time.

Before they opened, DDP-DC was doing a phone order carry out pie business and they were producing tasty pies, but (as Dave noted above) using far to thick crusts. I've been a handful of times since they opened officially and am pleased to report that the crusts are now within the range or perfectly acceptable to above average for store bought pies, which places the pies into the expected better than anywhere else I can imagine buying a pie category.

They aren't cheap, but DDP is turning out some very good product for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert. They debuted a Key lime pie this weekend, which hit all the high notes with a nice texture and the right tart balance. Among savory pies, the S.M.O.G. (Steak Mushoom Onion Gruyere) is everything you'd hope it would be and a filling meal for a large slice ($8 - not bad for dinner). The Cowboy Quiche (lots of ingredients may vary, but likely bacon, potato, onion, cheese, mushroom, jalapeno) is good, but doesn't rival my wife's rendition of the Gourmet Cookbook Ultimate Quiche (homemade crust), which I very highly recommend.

[Don/moderators, this thread should be moved to DC Dining, as we are talking about a Dangerously Delicious in DC on H Street NE/the Atlas District]

Make fun of me, if you must, for watching "Best Thing I Ever Ate.". (Good show if you have a DVR, though presumably very boring if you don't). But it sent me to the pie store for a Baltimore Bomb, and I loved it. (Chess pie with crumbled Berger cookies in the filling.). Friendly rock and roll pie store, great pie.

This post short b/c I do not yet have the hang of typing at length on iPad. (site looks great on it, btw)

Their pie truck stopped by close to me today so I stopped by for a few slices. I thought they were really good. $7.50 for savory pie slices, $6.50 for sweet pies. I got the SMOG, the BBQ pork, and a pecan pie. The pork and SMOG (Steak, Mushroom, Onion, Gruyere) were both very good and filling. They are served warm and it stayed warm on my walk back to the office. The pecan pie was good, but I'm used to a firmer interior. Overall though really good, and worth it when the truck is near.

Wedding cake...so pretty, so dull, so boring. So what does a bride and groom do about that...a dessert table of Dangerously Delicious Pie. oh yes.

Got to sample 4 different pies.

Baltimore Bomb - Berger cookies meet vanilla chess...hand and shoulders the winner of the bunch.

Chocolate Chess - a clear second place finish

Key Lime Pie - It was a good lime pie, but lacked the sharp tang that truly great key lime pies own. Good graham cracker crust.

Mixed Berry - The berry mix interior was great, tons of fruit. The pie crust was underdone and really it needed to be served warm with a big scoop on vanilla ice cream.

Today I gave Dangerously Delicious Pies a try for the first time as the food truck was nearby and the weather so nice it would have been shameful not to walk outside. I got the chicken pot pie, which was accompanied by mixed greens with balsamic dressing. Cost was $7.50. Not surprisingly, I had to reheat the pie in the microwave after walking back to the office. The filling practically spilled out of the crust: huge chunks of chicken, along with potatoes and peas, in a slightly sweet sauce (sorry, can't think of a better word!). The slice was generous to my eyes and it filled me up. My only quibble would be that if the chicken was chopped a bit smaller it might pick up more flavor, but they certainly didn't skimp on the quantity.

Today I gave Dangerously Delicious Pies a try for the first time as the food truck was nearby and the weather so nice it would have been shameful not to walk outside. I got the chicken pot pie, which was accompanied by mixed greens with balsamic dressing. Cost was $7.50. Not surprisingly, I had to reheat the pie in the microwave after walking back to the office. The filling practically spilled out of the crust: huge chunks of chicken, along with potatoes and peas, in a slightly sweet sauce (sorry, can't think of a better word!). The slice was generous to my eyes and it filled me up. My only quibble would be that if the chicken was chopped a bit smaller it might pick up more flavor, but they certainly didn't skimp on the quantity.

Mr. BLB has been impressed with their food truck offerings. Unfortunately they don't usually park close enough to his office to get there and back and in a timely manner.

I like the Baltimore Bomb but it makes my teeth hurt just thinking about how sweet it is.

• Like 1