Royal Mile Pub, Wheaton - New Management, but Many Of The Same Staff - Closed

Don't know diddly about this joint. Probably never will. It's a rare day I haul ass anywhere north of Cleveland Park. Nevertheless, this message arrived in the mailbox of joy and I have no idea whether this dude can cook, but I've had most of these beers, and the water of life, and they're mighty fine.

(Actually, my sked is pretty booked for late Oct., early Nov., or I'd give serious consideration to going since it's on the subway.)

Hello AIWF members:

And now for something a wee bit different.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 at The Royal Mile Pub in Wheaton, we'll have a Scottish celebration put together by Chef Ian Morrison.

Think castles, the moors, St. Andrews Golf Course.

Chef Ian grew up in the family pub business, graduated from Johnson and Wales Culinary School, and came back to Maryland to create a fabulous pub menu focusing on a modern interpretation of Celtic cuisine. You may have heard of this trend taking England by storm--they're calling them gourmet pubs--and they're taking fresh local ingredients and turning the traditional pub food on its head.

AIWF will be treated to a special menu of Chef Morrison's Scottish dishes complemented by a selection of Scottish beers and topped off with a wee glass of single malt Scotch Whisky.

(The pub is Metro accessible!)

Sign up now for this fun and educational event or you may never find out what's in a "clootie dumpling!"

Price all inclusive: $60/members; $75/nonmembers

Go to http://aiwf.org/dc to reserve.

The MENU

Hors d'oeuvres:
Mini Tartlets of Sautéed Leeks and Cheddar

House-Smoked Scottish-Style Salmon-and-Cucumber Sandwiches

Crostini of Potted Pheasant
Broughton Merlin's Ale

Mini Shepherd's Pie Bridie
Fraoch Heather Ale

Orkney Scotch Egg with Branston Pickle Sauce
Alba Scots Pine Ale

Wild Salmon over Scottish-style Kale with Laphroaig Beurre Blanc (that's Scotch whiskey sauce)
Belhaven Wee Heavy

Haggis Terrine over Neeps and Mash with Pickled Vegetables and Whisky Gravy
Orkney Skullsplitter

Dessert: Clootie Dumpling
Cragganmore 12-year-old Single Malt Whisky

Ay,says the Scots--what a deal!

Don't know diddly about this joint.  Probably never will.  It's a rare day I haul ass anywhere north of Cleveland Park.  Nevertheless, this message arrived in the mailbox of joy and I have no idea whether this dude can cook, but I've had most of these beers, and the water of life, and they're mighty fine.

I live a stone's throw away from the Mile, and I'll attest their general pub menu is pretty good. I've had the Shepherd's Pie and the Beef and Guinness pie, yum. I haven't had anything listed on the menu above however. They also do a nice brunch and good omelets, which must be one of the few places in Wheaton that doesn't that's not a chain. The actual bar area is TINY so expect to sit at a table if you ever wander by.

FWIW- The Royal Mile

I haven't been to the RM in 10 years, but they have an absolutely fabulous whisky list.

Back in the day, they used to have one night a week (Thursdays?) when they would do short pours of whisky for only a couple of bucks, so you could taste a lot more varieties than if you were purchasing a standard pour at $6-$lotsmore per glass.

While not a "fine dining" joint, maybe we should organize a DR outing to see just how the RMP has held up over the years...? There are certainly enough DR.comers who live close by to take advantange! (whisky is a fine warmer on a cool autumn evening, not to mention some adequate grub to go with) :lol:

While not a "fine dining" joint, maybe we should organize a DR outing to see just how the RMP has held up over the years...?

There's no "we" in organizing. :P

Just pick a night, post it, and we'll show. Or at least I'll show, but I'll drink enough whisky to account for several others. :lol:

I'm a fan of his pub grub, and will attest that not only does Ian put together one of the finest shepherd's pies anywhere, but his haggis ain't bad either. His version of a scotch egg incorporates an generous amount of loose sausage that I believe he makes in-house, and is very good indeed. In fact, I wish he'd offer sausage rolls made from this stuff. And there's no rumbledethumps on the menu either (judging from the shepherd's pie top, it'd be terrific).

The Maryland fried chicken is promising, but I find his seasoned flour to be a bit too salty.

The scotch list is lengthy but as you should expect in Montgomery County, is limited to conventional bottlings...no independents at all. Och.

My wife and I love the Mile. It is homey and cozy with lots of regulars, and the pub grub is excellent. I've enjoyed all of their soups and stews (even the Guinness chili that was on the menu for a limited time was surprisingly good). Mostly, we find ourselves torn between the fish 'n' chips and their burgers. Their crab cakes are also tasty. My vegan friend loves the pub salad, and another friend always gets the Welsh rarebit. I honestly don't recall anyone in our party ever getting anything that they didn't enjoy. Since we have our favorites, we rarely try the specials, but they few times we have they've been very good. They do indeed have an extensive menu of single malt scotch, if that tickles your fancy. I can't say anything about the wine selection since I almost always get Guinness, Smithicks, or Fraoch (I like wine but not at a pub!). My only complaint is that it is on the small side. However, that is usually only an issue on weekend evenings when it gets packed. Oh, if you go on Sea Shanty night be prepared to sing -- we once went inadvertently, and I think we were literally the only people there who hadn't come to sing shanties! You can visit them at: http://www.royalmilepub.com/

Has anyone had brunch at the Royal Mile? We love the place, but haven't been for brunch and they don't have a brunch menu on their website. Also, does anyone know if brunch is as busy there as dinner. I'm trying to find somewhere in Silver Spring/Wheaton for a Saturday brunch this weekend for a large group. Thanks in advance.

Time to change the sub-heading in this thread...

Most locals have known that the RMP was up for sale, and now it is confirmed here in the Gazette. The good news is that a Wheaton resident and regular bought the place and said he doesn't want the character of the pub to change. (i.e, no sports bar or chicken joint) The bad news is that he knows nothing about owning/running a restaurant, so I wish him the best of luck and hope that he has some good advisers.

Time to change the sub-heading in this thread...

Most locals have known that the RMP was up for sale, and now it is confirmed here in the Gazette. The good news is that a Wheaton resident and regular bought the place and said he doesn't want the character of the pub to change. (i.e, no sports bar or chicken joint) The bad news is that he knows nothing about owning/running a restaurant, so I wish him the best of luck and hope that he has some good advisers.

Done.

The food at Royal Mile Pub has seriously gone downhill over the last couple of years. When Ian first took over the kitchen, and for several subsequent years, I could count on the pub grub being at least solid and the weekend specials being consistently pleasing. Unfortunately, both the pub fare and specials have suffered in quality. I first abandoned the specials and sought refuge in fish and chips, beef and Guinness pie, etc. But when I ordered the F&C a few weeks ago, my plate contained sodden, limp fries, obviously cooked in dirty oil, and cod that tasted mostly of ammonia -- two bites and I was done. Perhaps you are safe with a sandwich, salad or burger, but that's as far as I would go. They've eliminated the regular entrees (steak, grilled salmon), so there aren't many choices.

It saddens me to say this, because RMP was in my regular rotation for at least 10 years and I had genuinely enjoyed dining there with my family. I need a new pub.

The food at Royal Mile Pub has seriously gone downhill over the last couple of years. When Ian first took over the kitchen, and for several subsequent years, I could count on the pub grub being at least solid and the weekend specials being consistently pleasing. Unfortunately, both the pub fare and specials have suffered in quality. I first abandoned the specials and sought refuge in fish and chips, beef and Guinness pie, etc. But when I ordered the F&C a few weeks ago, my plate contained sodden, limp fries, obviously cooked in dirty oil, and cod that tasted mostly of ammonia -- two bites and I was done. Perhaps you are safe with a sandwich, salad or burger, but that's as far as I would go. They've eliminated the regular entrees (steak, grilled salmon), so there aren't many choices.

It saddens me to say this, because RMP was in my regular rotation for at least 10 years and I had genuinely enjoyed dining there with my family. I need a new pub.

Instead of looking for a new pub...and as a loyal patron, I'm sure the new owner would appreciate to know feedback of what has transpired so he can focus on making the right changes for the future. I wouldn't write it off yet--the sale just happened. The new owner doesn't want the "character" of the pub to change...he didn't say the food was going to stay the same.

I was just there a few weeks ago and had their usual great wings and a few beers. Although I did find it strange that they were our of Guinness, Boddingtons, and Smithwick's on draft that night. I will certainly miss that place.

I was just there a few weeks ago and had their usual great wings and a few beers. Although I did find it strange that they were our of Guinness, Boddingtons, and Smithwick's on draft that night. I will certainly miss that place.

Full disclosure -- I used to tend bar at the Royal Mile.

I heard a while back (maybe two months ago) some scuttlebutt that there would be new ownership. Trying to look on the bright side, maybe there will be a closing and a re-opening? But I'm way out of the loop on things there, so I'm not sure. If it's true, very sad.

And an update (this was confirmed by my family as well). Blogger gets half the story shocker! ;)

http://www.wheatonca...ile-update.html

"Restructuring phase" - just closed Monday and Tuesday of this week for repairs. I'd be very surprised if the Wheaton institution has served its last dram of single malt.

[FWIW, I based the title change on checking their website, Facebook and Twitter (none of which had any updates at all), then calling and getting the "off-hours" recording at 8 PM which I thought extremely odd.]

[FWIW, I based the title change on checking their website, Facebook and Twitter (none of which had any updates at all), then calling and getting the "off-hours" recording at 8 PM which I thought extremely odd.]

Sorry Don - my quip was aimed at Wheaton Calling.

Sorry Don - my quip was aimed at Wheaton Calling.

Oh, and my post wasn't aimed at you; was merely explaining the title change.

Nevertheless, someone wrote me and correctly said that until confirmation is received, the thread title should say "temporarily closed" or "reported closed." I agree, and I'm going to change that right now.

Apparently a new owner has been found and the Royal Mile Pub will be re-opening on March 16th. This info comes from Wheaton Patch... and my father (who saw the "grand re-opening" sign in the window).

http://wheatoncalling.blogspot.com/2012/03/back-from-vacation-rm-update.html

Mr. WC happened upon Michael Moore, who was taking a smoke break outside of Limerick. The big news is that he is now the former owner of the Royal Mile. Moore said that he found a buyer, and described them as someone with some experience in the restaurant industry. From the sound of things, the new owner will be keeping the Royal Mile name and Mr. Moore even said that the owner is getting in touch with former staff to try and rehire as many of them as possible. The new owner has a crew at work to make needed repairs to the restaurant and Moore said the owner hopes to reopen the restaurant by St. Patrick's Day.

I went in the other day and met the new owner. Looks like some of the servers and bartenders will be returning, so I won't have to re-introduce myself. I drove by again the other day just to see the sign. It makes me really happy. Too bad I work late on Friday, I'd love to go to the re-opening. It also means my wife will know who to call when she can't reach me at the brewery :)

I went in for brunch last week, they've done a nice job fixing up the place, and the staff is compitent. My only complaint is that it seems to lack the feel that the "old guard" gave off. Maybe its just breaking in the new staff and getting to know them.

If anyone finds a current website, could you ping me? royalmilepub.net seems old, and royalmilepub.com seems under development - I'm not sure which, if either, is correct.

Royalmilepub.com is the old site, there were some issues with the old developer and him relinquishing the domain name. I worked with Michael Moore to redo the website, so the .net address is the new one, it just hasn't been updated at all. I haven't heard from the new owner so its just sitting there. I hope they use it, I put a lot of work into it.

I just received an email from Groupon stating that RMP has closed and I could get a refund for my unused vouchers. The website is still up, but has not been updated since January. Does anyone know more?

Heard from a former regular, who walked by last weekend, that it was dark on a Friday evening with a closed sign on the door. The place had next to no business for months and months. Was surprised it stayed open this long.

Heard from a former regular, who walked by last weekend, that it was dark on a Friday evening with a closed sign on the door. The place had next to no business for months and months. Was surprised it stayed open this long.

Royal Mile Pub has been replaced by Sol y Mar, a Pan-Latino restaurant whose meals are "so delicious that you'd be more than happy to consume them in a barn."

• Like 2