PS7's, Chef Peter Smith at 777 I Street, Verizon Center - With Sous Chef Andrew Markert - Closed

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a great meal at PS 7 last night. Really interesting interior, great service staff (very interactive), and Chef Smith really made our night by doing a vegan menu for my girlfriend (very tough emotionally for a chef to do). Danny, the GM, was gracious and intuitive with his wine pairings, and the food was on the whole very, very tasty. Foie gras custard was one of the better dishes I've had in D.C, and paired with the moscati, the flavor just kept coming. Pork Belly was rich and tasty but went a bit overboard on the cider sweetness. The veal trio was awesome. Tempura battered sweetbread what could be better? Chef Naomi Gallego paired three preparations of pear for a dessert that we split and the three in concert worked perfectly. So thank you to Chef Smith, Chef Gallego, Danny Boylen and the rest of the staff, keep up the good work !

The bar at PS7 was the perfect place to grab a bite to eat and a drink before a performance at the Verizon Center Tuesday night. Paula and I got to try the Veal Cheek Chips and the Tuna Sliders. The Veal Cheek Chips were fantastic - the veal remained tender underneath the crunch exterior. The Tuna Sliders were basically a tuna carpaccio served on a Parker House roll and served with a roumelade sauce. The tuna was very tasty; however, the tuna was spread a little thin, given the thickness of the roll. It probably would have been better without the top of the roll; however, then it wouldn't be a slider. :)

The bar staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating (unfortunately, I did not get their names). When we ordered I mentioned that we were catching a show at the Verizon Center. The bartender checked with Chef Smith and ensured us that our order would not be a problem and we would be out timely. Sure enough, we were.

No wine this time, but I enjoyed the St. Peter's Porter and Paula enjoyed the Allagash White Ale. I am looking forward to a return visit.

The Tuna Sliders were basically a tuna carpaccio served on a Parker House roll and served with a roumelade sauce. The tuna was very tasty; however, the tuna was spread a little thin, given the thickness of the roll. It probably would have been better without the top of the roll; however, then it wouldn't be a slider. :)
I wonder if those wonderful bar crackers aren't closer to the better medium for that yummy tuna.

Had a wonderful dinner on Saturday evening. I hope that the butternut squash amuse bouche winds up on the menu in an appetizer form. It was a smooth butternut squash custard with ginger foam and a bit of arugula essence. I am still dreaming of it.

The butternut squash and goat cheese terrine was also good and a nice foil to my following courses. It was thinly sliced butternut squash and thin layers of goat cheese layers. The pickled veggies on the slide really brought out all the flavors as I found this to be the least satisfying of the three courses. I followed this with the porkbelly which was perfectly cooked, not too fatty and delicious over the cabbage. This is a must have! Finally, the scallops boudin which I also found to be a great combination. The scallops were served with a citrus marmelade? that really brought out their flavor.

I am not a dessert person but found the mini doughnuts with the plum and dark chocolate dipping sauces to be the perfect end to the meal.

Our server was very friendly and knowledgeable. She chose dessert (the pears) for one person at the table and he was in heaven.

Can't wait to stop back into the bar for the veal chips.

The Islay Egg Cream may be one of the more interesting cocktails I've ever had. Islay malt whisky with chocolate syrup and soda. It's good!

Adam made one of those for me a couple of weeks ago. Very odd. Very tasty. I'll be back for more.

Kudos to Tom Sietsema for correctly nailing this place in his review today. PS7 has great bread and little else!

Hmmm... you must have gone to a different PS7 than I did. I've only had one dinner there, but it was excellent (review on page 2 of this thread). Three trips to the bar (I think), each highly enjoyable, both for the bar menu and the drinks. There are some issues, sure, but not the quality of the food or service any of the times I've been there. I'll admit that I haven't sampled the dinner menu as extensively as Sietsema, and it's quite possible that if I had I would have been similarly disappointed, but "great bread and little else" is pretty harsh, and I believe undeservedly so.

I've eaten dinner twice at PS7s -- the first time was within their first week of opening, and the second was about a week ago -- and I have had good experiences both times with food, service and wine. The dishes I recall having tried include the field green salad, the salad of confit cherry tomatoes, the squash and goat cheese terrine, the east/west oyster dish, spicy tuna tartare, the pork belly, the veal 3 ways and the beef 2 ways. We had the baked Valrhona mousse with candied beets and olive oil ice cream and maybe one other dessert. Over all, my companions and I all thought the food was delicious -- subtle where it needed to be subtle (the olive oil ice cream), flavorful (tuna tartare), crispy (sweetbreads) and unctuous (veal cheeks and pork belly) -- and creative. I'm not sure I like the format and pricing of the menu, however. I can see the advantages of the mix and match concept, but it seems like ordering 2 starters and a main dish plus dessert would get kind of expensive. Moreover, the main dishes and the pork belly seemed a little pricey for the small size of the portion. They were really tasty and if you're willing to give a taste to someone at your table, that's half the dish right there. But on the other hand, the desserts are so tempting that it's important not to get too full early on, and the "big sins," priced at $12, were big enough for two people to share. Portionwise, the salads and vegetable starters also seemed pretty ample. I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe some of the dishes should be a little smaller and less expensive, while others should be a little more generous, even if that would make them slightly more expensive.

We're planning to go again right before Thanksgiving when we have Cirque du Soleil tickets, and are looking forward to trying some of the other dishes. Decor-wise, I could definitely understand Sietsema's comment about the light from the kitchen door. We have sat in the front room both times, so haven't had that problem.

Portionwise, the salads and vegetable starters also seemed pretty ample. I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe some of the dishes should be a little smaller and less expensive, while others should be a little more generous, even if that would make them slightly more expensive.
But that's only the case if you only order two savory courses.

For better or worse, that's not what PS7 wants to be. It wants to be a tasting-menu-type restaurant with extra ordering flexibility and a 4-course food price between $50 and $70 (which is right in line with high-end, 4-course tasting menus all over America) with options for longer menus as well. Whether or not the execution of this concept is sufficiently high-quality is at issue.

On a further point, what do people think of the concept (stipulating its proper communication to the diner, which is not necessarily the case at PS7's)?

Weak. Not fully thought through, or not implemented well. Like the food, hate the menu.

I have triple-spaced on DonRockwell.com two times. Both times I walked away emasculated and feeling like I overindulged on castor oil, which is definitely not OK. I agree with everything that Rockwell wrote about in his review of your review and I feel that 1 1/2 more sentences is not any more accurate in describing your experiences in the restaurant.

More seriously, you didn't add anything. Specifics, please.

On a further point, what do people think of the concept (stipulating its proper communication to the diner, which is not necessarily the case at PS7's)?

Okay - I was trying to be gentle but since you are pressing me. The first time I went with my boyfriend, a foodie, and his friend - a nationally known wine cellar designer, both of whom dine out regularly at the finest restaurants in DC and nationally. We tried to taste as many dishes as possible. We liked the oxtail consomme. The Scallop boudin was ok. The tuna tartare flavorless. We then had the lobster 4 ways - each way worse than the preceding one. The lobster soup was undrinkable - my boyfriend's buddy thought it disgusting. The eggs had barely any lobster flavor - Sietsema was kind in saying that part of the dish was good - it was not. Another boudin - this one much less successful than the scallop version, and an utterly mediocre fritter. The trio of veal was equally abysmal. Not a winner among the 3 - sorry Tom, the sweetbreads were not noteworthy. Then the beef 2 ways - the shortribs were fine - I would order them again. The steak flavorless. The portion tiny for $26 or thereabouts. My second visit was at a party with 10 others. The menu was preset with 2 choices from each course. I started with the lobster mushroom carpaccio - it was bland and uninspiring. At that point I decided to fill up on the yummy biscuits knowing what was ahead of me. I had the Halibut - flavorless, unseasoned fish roled in popcorn powder. What stands out is that the bill came to $288 a couple. And one of the guests brought in a couple of bottles of wine. One of our friends remarked "what did we eat for that?" Not much. The restaurant is expensive, and for what you get and the quality of the cooking it is not somewhere I have any desire to revisit. Is that specific enough for you?? Now get off Tom's back.

We're going to try to hit PS7 either before or after the Caps game. Does anyone know what the bar hours are? I know from their website that first and last reservations are 5:45pm and 9:45pm respectively.
The bar is open from lunch onwards -- doesn't close 'til the restaurant does. Not sure about food service at the bar, but definitely by 5:30 you should be able to eat as well as drink.

The bar is open from lunch onwards -- doesn't close 'til the restaurant does. Not sure about food service at the bar, but definitely by 5:30 you should be able to eat as well as drink.

The bar opens for food etc. at lunch, and IMHO will provide the highest-class pre-game preparation in the city. Mmm. Alagash before the face off....

And I have it on reasonably good authority that a certain assistant manager is both an ardent Caps fan and a one-time season ticket holder. Caps fans will be warmly welcomed, but I'd guess she'll find an appropriate spot for those in Flyers, Rangers or Penguins sweaters. :)

C-A-P-S Caps Caps Caps

The bar opens for food etc. at lunch, and IMHO will provide the highest-class pre-game preparation in the city. Mmm. Alagash before the face off....

And I have it on reasonably good authority that a certain assistant manager is both an ardent Caps fan and a one-time season ticket holder. Caps fans will be warmly welcomed, but I'd guess she'll find an appropriate spot for those in Flyers, Rangers or Penguins sweaters. :)

Welcome MRG! [or is it Mr. "RG" ?] It sounds like you have some connection with PS7. Care to share?

Stopped by the bar last night after an RFD beer tasting that was supposed to happen but fell through (something about a lost truck of beer? yikes). I drank them out of Prima Pils (not very difficult, as I had 2 of them), and the soup shooters were excellent...the butternut squash was my favorite, rich and creamy but a very nice balance of squash flavor. The spring rolls...not so good. Seemed like an easy bar-food dish to throw out of the kitchen, but it seemed awfully basic and unimpressive for $10, even if they were plated beautifully. One thing to note: the bar area was hopping the whole time we were there, but the floor was basically empty but for one or two small tables of people. That's tuesday night for ya, I suppose.

Oh and I saw the trio of veal at the next seat over at the bar...looked incredible. Will be back.

Jlock and I finally ate at PS7 last night, and it was wonderful. We sat at the bar and had the veal cheek chips, the tuna sliders, and the fingerling potatoes with duck confit. The meal started with a trio of yummy breads. All of the food was better than I expected even with the high recommendations of each of the dishes. The tuna sliders were especially unique and delicious. I see a frequent complaint about portion sizes, and I can't speak to the issue of the sizes off the regular menu, but the portions of everything that we ordered off the bar menu seemed to be on the large size. We were full after all of that - and the total damage for the food was under $40 for both of us.

Adam was a great bartender. Jeff had a great martini, and Adam made some good wine selections for me. We had shown up on an off-night previously when Adam had not been there, and PS7 was more than generous in showing that our prior experience was an anomoly.

I can't wait to go back.

So after all the recent discussions, I was happy to have a chance to visit PS7 last night after the Caps game. We sat in the lounge and entertained ourselves by watching some couple literally suck face at the bar. I mean really...I wish the bartender had thrown some ice water on them. It was kinda like a train wreck - you knew you didn't want to watch but couldn't stop anyways.

On to more important matters. While I'm usually a beer guy, I wanted to see if any of the cocktails were worth $11. I tried the Stormy Weather (a dressed up version of what my friends call a No See Um - basically rum and ginger), then a Dubstar. Lisa went with the Julius. We ordered the veal cheek chips and six of the tuna sliders to go with our drinks.

The drinks...none of them really impressed me. The Stormy Weather was almost too sweet and the sugar rimmed glass was a wee bit messy, leaving me with sticky fingers (no, not that kind). The Dubset also came across as too sweet. Both drinks had pleasant flavours but I kept wishing for something "lighter" after about a third of the way through. You don't want to be chugging your $11 cocktail just so you can get it over and done with. Lisa enjoyed her Julius - the citrus flavours were a bit more refreshing than my cloyingly sweet ones.

The food was much more enjoyable. Not sure there's anything negative to say about the veal cheek chips. They were darker than I imagined - not sure if the meat itself is that dark or maybe the fryer oil was a little old. It didn't seem to impact the taste much. But they weren't the winners I imagined them to be. Maybe it was a victim of high expectations.

The tuna sliders were MUCH better. After the first few, we felt that the sweetness of the rolls were overwhelming the tuna tartare. We took the top off the sliders and ate just the bottom of the roll with the tuna - BINGO! That's what we were looking for. We could finally taste the wondeful tuna and the seasonings, while getting a hint of the rolls. Perfect. Then we ate the tops of the rolls on their own with a bit of the mayo that was on the side. It was like getting two dishes for one.

We got an extra bonus when a server came by with a basket of fresh baked cottage cheese/dill and apple/bacon biscuits. Both were heavenly (though we couldn't taste the bacon, even though there was visible evidence of it's presence). I wanted to kiss Naomi (who was chatting with some guests in the lounge) but figured the wife would have something to say about that.

We got talked into dessert. The small sins were too tempting to say no to. I had the Yuzu Lime Meringue Pies and Lisa had the Mini Brulee. Both were winners. I'm a sucker for meringue and sour tastes so the pies were a huge hit with me. Lisa's mini brulee had more of a caramel taste than what I've normally encountered in creme brulee but we both liked the taste more. The crisp coating was almost perfect (one spot was a little over-burned and tasted off) - a minor imperfection in an otherwise great dessert.

The service was attentive, friendly, and not overbearing. Peter himself came by several times to see how things were going (and we looked like a couple of underdressed street urchins). So definitely no complaints there.

I know we barely scratched the surface at PS7. Would we go again?? Definitely! Would we eat a full meal there - at the current prices, probably not. I can spend that amount at Kolumbia to much better effect. And as much as we loved the desserts and the small portion size, the price didn't really warrant it. I think on our next visit, we'll be content to quaff a few beers and graze on appetizers. No cocktails, no desserts, no mains.

The service was attentive, friendly, and not overbearing.

I enjoyed dinner last night at PS7 with friends. We were seated in the dining room. The appetizers -- creamed butternut squash soup and pork belly were amazing. The entrees -- beef two ways, lamb loin, and rockfish -- were likewise delightful.

As stated above, the service was top notch. Our server advised us well about the menu and suggested wine pairings which were pleasant accompaniments.

The desserts -- mini donuts and mini creme brulee; espresso and capuccino -- were a terrific finish to a wonderful meal.

The combination of flavors on my plate was the kind of adventure I expect on a degustation menu. When the food tastes this good, I don't need to have a huge portion to feel satisfied.

I look forward to going back to this restaurant next time I am in DC. I hope it's the start of a long run.

The tuna sliders were MUCH better. After the first few, we felt that the sweetness of the rolls were overwhelming the tuna tartare. We took the top off the sliders and ate just the bottom of the roll with the tuna - BINGO! That's what we were looking for. We could finally taste the wondeful tuna and the seasonings, while getting a hint of the rolls. Perfect. Then we ate the tops of the rolls on their own with a bit of the mayo that was on the side. It was like getting two dishes for one.

I had the tuna tartare there, and it came with seasoned crackers, which definitely overwhelmed the tuna. It wasn't until I ate all the crackers that I could really taste the tuna, which was delicious and just a little spicy. The crackers were useful for scooping the chopped tuna up, and actually quite good.

We're headed here this weekend. Any recent reports? Newer items on the menu we should be looking out for?

I've never been before, but my husband and I have reservations for this Saturday at 6:00. I'm looking forward to it. He's been there once during RW, and couldn't say enough good things about the place or the food!

My girlfriend and I sat at the bar last Friday night and had a wonderful time. A big part of that was due to the friendliness of our bartenders - Rachel and Adam. At least I think those were the names. I will agree that the tuna sliders were my favorite thing to eat, especially the Parker House roll and the excellent mayo on the side. We intially ordered three, but soon realized that we needed three more. Don't think of shortchanging yourself. Second favorite dish would be the Sea Scallops Boudin. Very cool presentation, and a perfect scallop flavor in a totally unexpected form - sausage stuffing! We also tried the East meets West, with excellent Kumamoto oysters and a sort-a bland blue crab flan. Consistency and mouth-feel of flan, check. Blue crab flavor, check. How did they do that? Still, other than the novelty the dish wasn't that exciting. Lastly, the carpaciccio of mushroom was very tasty, with a beautiful presentation.

We got a taste of a very interesting Hungarian white wine as well. I stuck with the Malbec by the glass and was very pleased. But might try that Hungarian stuff next time.

Man, I'm thinking about those tuna sliders again. I liked the bar space, and again, had a lot of fun with the bartenders, so it probably won't be too long before I'm back.

I was totally charmed last night by PS7s. The space is really lovely: light and open but not cavernous or noisy.

We had the 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings.

The amuse was a seeded cracker with a fluffy prosecco cream that held a stripe of American caviar. I liked all of the flavors, but the cracker and the sweet cream drowned out the flavor of the caviar, for the most part. It was fun to try, but not my favorite.

Soup and Salad was a salad of pea tendrils with mache, dressed in a lavender-pomegranate vinaigrette, and topped with pomegranate seeds and pine nuts, a cup of spiced apple veloute, and tiny pine nut & Tasmanian pepper biscotti. The salad was refreshing, the seeds and nuts providing a refreshing punctuation. The soup was served too hot to taste, and I had to wait a while, dipping the biscotti, until it was cool enough to drink. I suspect the soup and salad were meant to be consumed together, but that was impossible with the heat of the soup. The wine pairing was 2005 Kuhl "Way Kuhl" Riesling.

The next three courses were wonderful and unique, and I don't think I can pick a true favorite. Black sea bass was a perfectly cooked square resting on a bed of smoked-salt braised leeks and lobster essence. The rich fish flesh stood up well to the flavorful leeks and sauce. We appreciated the spoons the server provided, and used pieces of the delicious, tiny rolls to sop up the sauce. The wine pairing was 2005 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier, from Napa Valley.

Korobuta pork belly with white balsamic vinegar, roasted cipollini onions, and a rosemary-huckleberry sauce was paired with 2005 Tyrrell's Lost Block pinot noir from Australia. The pork and sauce balanced perfectly.

After those wonderful courses, the "Duck Pho" was a surprising show-stopper. All of the presentations had been great but this one was my favorite: thin slices of cured duck breast laid on one side, reminding me of sashimi, next to a bowl of rich roasted duck broth full of sliced seared duck breast and somen noodles. All of this played very nicely with a glass of 2004 Glatzer Zweigelt, from Austria. This dish was playful and fun, and totally delicious to the last drop. I've never had "pho" in a white-tablecloth restaurant, and I managed to not end up wearing it, but it was touch and go. No matter, I loved this dish!

I'm not much for desserts, and neither is my husband, but we enjoyed the "Toasted Brown Butter Financier" with white coffee gelato, cardamom-milk chocolate mouse, pinenut and cocoa streusel and grapefruit fluid gel. This was served with a "Fig Royale," prosecco, fig-infused vodka, and tonka bean syrup--an interesting dessert cocktail.

I finished up with French-press decaf coffee, and left feeling just full enough and very happy. I will happily go back, and try the a la carte menu, which looked very good. The lounge menu looks really tempting, too.

The originially good beer selection here has collapsed. From Victory Prima Pils to Tecate. From St. Peter's Cream Stout to Amstel Light. I asked and was told that it was mostly a turnover and storage issue: the distributor they were using for the good stuff has a 10-case minimum, and they were having issues turning over some of the beers, and then having issues when some of them ran out. Apparently it requires some effort to maintain a good beer list (wait, really?) and they're not yet up to the task.

That said, the bar food is still really good, and they make a damn fine rye manhattan.

...they were having issues turning over some of the beers, and then having issues when some of them ran out. Apparently it requires some effort to maintain a good beer list (wait, really?) and they're not yet up to the task.

A loss to beer lovers to be sure, but it hardly seems fair to fault them for the drinking preferences of their clientele, wouldn't you agree?

A loss to beer lovers to be sure, but it hardly seems fair to fault them for the drinking preferences of their clientele, wouldn't you agree?

It may have just been an excuse, but I got the impression it was more of an "it's too much of a pain to carry the good stuff" than an "we're just pandering to the lowest common demoninator" issue. Certainly could be a bit from both, though. I still find fault, regardless. It's not a hard sell to convince somebody to try Prima Pils instead of an Amstel Light, and I think that educating the customer is a necessary burden for a place like this to take. It saddens me when a beer list is abandoned like this. I understand they have to make money, but I think it's possible to achieve both goals at the same time, as long as somebody is willing to put in a little effort.

From Victory Prima Pils to Tecate. From St. Peter's Cream Stout to Amstel Light. I asked and was told that it was mostly a turnover and storage issue... That said, the bar food is still really good, and they make a damn fine rye manhattan.

The bar is alive and well and they do happy hour right here. The veal cheek chips is off the HH menu, but mini-hot dogs & half-smokes is on. Its worth a try - super concentrated, smoky half-smokes in a mini-hot dog bun equivalent to the parker house rolls that accompany the tuna sliders, which remain a star. The beer list still looked pretty solid to me - yes they know serve Amstel, Heineken, and Tecate, but all other options were a step above. Maybe not a show stopping list as it once was, but hardly somewhere you can't enjoy a good beer either.