Discount Coupons

clayrae

i'm not sure i like these coupons. the only one i ever purchased expired before i had a chance to use it (my bad). but i am blaming coupons for the onslaught on sushi ko on an early tuesday evening, unless there is something else to explain why a small crowd was spilling out onto the street and the only room for dining inside was on someone's lap (like the establishment next door), with a two hour wait for a table and the chefs up front cutting like mad.

You're spot on. There was a Groupn that expired yesterday, which is when I used mine because that was the night Koji was working. Glad I had the foresight to make a reservation...

Many (all?) of these coupon websites have "special URLs" that you can pass along to your friends, and when your friends click and buy, you can receive $10 Bloombucks, Groupon Bucks, etc.

There is absolutely no reason why people here shouldn't be taking advantage of this. I can't imagine any member here wouldn't be happy to give the poster a few dining dollars for having taken the time to post - it costs nothing and takes up no extra time.

I don't want to turn this thread into a situation where people set their alarm clocks for 5:30 AM, just so they can be the early bird that catches the dining-dollar worm, but it seems like such a waste not to do this.

So in the future, please DO use the special URLs so you can get dining credit.

Also, if you notice any harsh restrictions (e.g., today I Ricchi has a discount that does not include beer or wine (which was enough to sway me not to purchase it (*))), please mention them along with the link.

Continue ...

And in case anyone is wondering why I'd want to go to I Ricchi, there are three reasons I buy these coupons:

1) Somewhere I've never been before (or haven't been to in a very long time), and want to review (I Ricchi falls into this category)

2) Somewhere that's a no-brainer that I know I'll enjoy (PS7's, Sushi-Ko, Kaz, Grapeseed, etc. (*))

3) Somewhere in my neighborhood

(*) And in most of these situations, I immediately write the chef, owner, or manager and apologize in advance in order to avoid ECMs (Embarrassing Coupon Moments) when the check arrives. 100% of the time, they have written back and are actually flattered that I bought them. Gosh it would be nice to be on an expense account.

$15 for $30 in food and non-alcoholic drinks at Enat

(Ethiopian near Duke Street/Little River Turnpike/395 in Alexandria. Tried it once a couple weeks ago without a coupon and was pretty happy with it.)

Also note that the fine print specifies that a reservation be made to use the coupon, and Enat is not on OpenTable. However, based on the one visit there, it doesn't seem like reservations would be a problem to make for at least off-peak dining.

Calvert House Inn Groupon. $15 for $30. No mention of wine or beer as far as I could tell. It’s been a long time since I’ve been here, I went more often while I was going to school at Univ. of MD and remember liking it at the time.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/calvert-house-inn?utm_campaign=UserReferral&utm_medium=email&utm_source=uu6240058

$10 for $20 at Alexandria Pastry Shop & Catering Co. on Amazon Local. Coincidentally, before checking my email just now, I walked in to this place for the first time an hour ago. I went to the Bradley Shopping Center to get my watch battery replaced and had 10-15 minutes to kill while waiting, so I wandered over.

The place is more spacious than I thought, and has a wide selection of pastries, cakes, cookies, you name it, as well as breakfast and lunch sandwiches, with savory dishes per pound. There's a seating area too.

I bought a piece of carrot cake and raspberry cheese bar. Both are very hard to resist and save until later :mellow:

Two times recently, I received a discount after being taxed on the full amount.

1) One wasn't a "discount coupon" per se, but a half-price wine special at Piero's Corner They deducted the ($20 discount) after charging the full amount of the bill, including sales tax on the full amount of the bill. So, for example (assuming a 10% sales tax rate for simplicity), instead of:

Food = $50 + Wine = $40 (discounted to $20) + Tax = $7 = $77, the bill was

Food = $50 + Wine = $40 + Tax = $9 = $99 less $20 = $79.

2) However, one was a discount coupon: a $30 for $60 discount was taken in similar fashion - after the sales tax was rung in for the entire, non-discounted amount. Is this correct? (If you must know, it was at an Asian restaurant that rhymes with "Nooshi," but it wasn't Nooshi.)

These both seem like variations on a theme.

(If you must know, it was at an Asian restaurant that rhymes with "Nooshi," but it wasn't Nooshi.)

These both seem like variations on a theme.

From LivingSocial's fine print:

"Other conditions apply

Except where noted in the fine print:

• No cash value/cash back

• Tax and gratuity are not included

• Entire value must be used in one visit

• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion

• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - livingsocial.com/terms"

Since "tax" is explicitly "not included" I can see how that means they figure the tax upfront, then take the discount.

So, here's our dilemma. If I'd paid over $90 (the pre-discount total) for this I would be kicking myself and would probably not go back. Thankfully, I had a coupon that I paid $25 for to give me $50 of food so I'm less upset. Did we just get poor entrees because the kitchen got in the weeds? I can't imagine undercooked pasta can be served much in a restaurant that prides itself on its pastas...and charges for it. It's easy to screw up shrimp, I understand that, but it can't be served like this often, can it?

Here's your answer: discount coupons are changing the very fabric of the restaurants that use them. They, alone, are enough to turn a good restaurant into a bad restaurant, and if anyone thinks otherwise, then just keep using them and you'll see what I mean.

This business model is saturated, and while it may have a few more years of life left in it for savvy companies, it's ultimately an overcooked piece of pork, waiting to be chopped up into a stew for family meal.

The phrase, "it's a coupon restaurant," is coming back into vogue.

Here's your answer: discount coupons are changing the very fabric of the restaurants that use them. They, alone, are enough to turn a good restaurant into a bad restaurant, and if anyone thinks otherwise, then just keep using them and you'll see what I mean.

The phrase, "it's a coupon restaurant," is coming back into vogue.

I've read other concerns about restaurants being flooded because a coupon was expiring, but do you think restaurants are adversely affected just because a few couponers trickle in way before the expiration date?

I've read other concerns about restaurants being flooded because a coupon was expiring, but do you think restaurants are adversely affected just because a few couponers trickle in way before the expiration date?

In the general case, it's too early to make this call.

My impression is that early on, they grab their nuts and brace themselves.

Mid-term, they ease up a bit, but do they regain their pre-coupon buying and cooking philosophies?

Towards the end, it's restaurant week, redux.

And after it's all over, are they the same? Better? Worse? A legitimate topic for a dissertation (that might actually be fun to write), perhaps?

But I wonder if using the coupons strategically could help places. For example, Palena Cafe at lunch time. Would a lunch only groupon or an Living Social instant deal get enough people in the door and aware they are open at lunch that they could then ease up.

I also think that owners need to do think carefully about their capacity and cap the number of coupons they sell if they can't handle the capacity at the end.

That said, I have a Sushi Damo Bloomspot to use by Thursday and an Addie's groupon to use by next Friday. I've got to get busy!

But I wonder if using the coupons strategically could help places. For example, Palena Cafe at lunch time. Would a lunch only groupon or an Living Social instant deal get enough people in the door and aware they are open at lunch that they could then ease up.

That said, I have a Sushi Damo Bloomspot to use by Thursday and an Addie's groupon to use by next Friday. I've got to get busy!

Yes. And whenif dcdining.com does these, they will be for esoteric situations that help out restaurants, both strategically, and also financially (with the added bonus that diners will post about their positive experiences on donrockwell.com!) This won't make much money, but will also bring neither shame nor damage to restaurants; only positive things financially (slightly) and in the court of public opinion (big-time).

See you at Addie's. :mellow:

In the general case, it's too early to make this call.

My impression is that early on, they grab their nuts and brace themselves.

Mid-term, they ease up a bit, but do they regain their pre-coupon buying and cooking philosophies?

Towards the end, it's restaurant week, redux.

And after it's all over, are they the same? Better? Worse? A legitimate topic for a dissertation (that might actually be fun to write), perhaps?

My sentiments exactly. And many business owners may not fully calculate the displacement of guests that are paying full price and its potentially damaging effect on short-term cash flow.

Maybe this has been discussed before, but how much do the restaurants make on each deal versus the various coupon companies? My guess is not very much, which is too bad. Can the restaurants limit the number of coupons to be sold?

Some offers have limited quantities, restaurants and beyond.

Maybe this has been discussed before, but how much do the restaurants make on each deal versus the various coupon companies? My guess is not very much, which is too bad. Can the restaurants limit the number of coupons to be sold?

The coupon is usually for 50%.

The coupon company usually starts the negotiation at around a 50/50 split. So the restaurant gains 25% of the coupon value. And by the way the payment is not made immediately to the restaurant - in the one case with which I am familiar the payments were split over 3 months.

I imagine the specific terms are always negotiable depending on the restaurant.