Dining with Dogs

I've played poker with dogs (who do you think created the famous painting?), but never really dined with them. However, I once accompanied a friend and her dog to a canine happy hour at the Holiday Inn on King St in Old Town. It was fun until the dogs got all liquored up and started humping your leg.

Repeat the following ten times fast:

Dog.

East.

Tile.

Color me narrow-minded and hysterical, but I for one get tired of needing a pogo stick to avoid all the crottes everytime I walk down the sidewalk in France. Yeah, okay, those turds may have three Michelin stars, but they're still turds.

(That previous paragraph refers to the excrement on the sidewalk, not to the chefs themselves).

Has anyone noticed that the usage of the word glitch has taken a turn for the mundane? It now means a problem, e.g. a computer glitch, but it used to be the standard onomatopoeia in Mad Magazine for whenever a guy stepped in dog doo. I miss that.

With tenderness,

Rocks.

So do you mind dogs in restaurants or just the obstacle course in getting to the restaurants?

Being more of a normal occurrence in Europe I do tend to notice the canine companions here in the US. As long as they are well behaved I don't have problem with it.

As spring has arrived and I have a new puppy, I have been trying to find places to go for drinks (and sometimes food) with the puppy on weekend afternoons so that I don't have to leave him alone for even more time than necessary.

Thus far I have found:

Poste - They will let you have a dog on the patio, but there is some debate as to whether this is actually officially allowed.

Jaleo - Dogs are allowed in the outdoor seating, but you must eat to sit there (which is often great, but not if I just celebrated Breadline's first open saturday and just need a margarita.

Cantina Marina - Never eaten there, but it is a great dog-friendly environment for a drink on the water.

I would love to know of other dog-friendly places.

Species Canine seems to be the official animal of Alexandria. The Holiday Inn on King Street has a doggy happy hour once a week in their court yard and they roll out a big cart of dog biscuits and bowls of water. They also have a bar set up so you can get a beer and they have some cheese and crackers just inside. Lots of dogs. Also, I understand that Pat Troys, the Irish pub just down the street from the Holiday Inn will let you tie your dog up outside.

Maybe Sequoia or [The Restaurant Next To Sequoia] on the Georgetown waterfront? I don't know if it's officially allowed or not, but it seems plausable: outdoor seating, outdoor bar, relatively informal (if a bit Yuppie). I don't see why it would be that big a deal if you sat along the railing on the edge of the seating area and boardwalk. I mean, I could see why they wouldn't allow it, but it might be someplace to look.

I've had lunch on the little patio at Montmartre while my dog happily solicited Eastern Market passers-by for ear scritches. The outdoor area at Red Dog Cafe is another nice place for a coffee and danish after walking your best friend in Rock Creek Park. They have dog bowls and hitching posts.

So my wife and I are getting our first dog in two weeks. Are there any restaurants in town that allow you to bring your little bundle of canine joy with you? At the very least at an outside patio or something?

Maybe this thread could become a list of these venues...

So my wife and I are getting our first dog in two weeks. Are there any restaurants in town that allow you to bring your little bundle of canine joy with you? At the very least at an outside patio or something?

Maybe this thread could become a list of these venues...

Del Ray is very dog friendly. You'll see dogs at outdoor seating venues. I've taken mine there for breakfast and haven't felt any hairy eyeballs. Dogs and owners hang out next to the farmer's market on Sat. mornings too.

Of course there's Old Town too. I suppose it varies place to place, but I've seen many restaurants with dogs outside with owners. We take one or two of our dogs Old Town, grab a sandwich from The Pita House and picnic by the water in the park. With the crowded sidewalks in Old Town, I feel more comfortable doing that.

The Old Town Alexandria Doggy Happy Hour will resume once the hotel renovations are complete. It's a blast and I miss it this year. I think it's the best way to dine with your dog, because you know you're not upsetting anyone. And, I'm hoping that they will be open in time for the Halloween Happy Hour. People get very creative. Which reminds me of Del Ray's Halloween parade were the dogs process in front down Mt. Vernon Ave.

The last time I was in L.A., I came across a pet shop with an enclosed patio in Ocean Park that has "Yappy Hour" every Thursday evening. Not a place for a sit-down meal, obviously, but I love the concept. Belly up to the bar(k), have a glass of whine or two, and chew the fat with other neighborhood dog lovers. I understand it's become quite a meet market for singles looking for someone who "must love dogs." Nice money-maker for the shop owner, too.

Adams Mill Bar in Adams Morgan (I know, not great, but it's across from one of the few parks where you can let your dog off leash and won't get ticketed), Kramerbooks outside. I think in late July or early August, 14th st. near St. Ex and Dogs by Day have Dog Days on a Saturday.

I can't say I'd be a fan of having a dog hanging around while dining at a restaurant. Inside the restaurant anyway.... ;)
I've been to several (numerous?) places in the DC area where people had well-behaved dogs outside. It never occurred to me it could be a problem until I ate on the patio at a restaurant (Irish pub type) in another city. There was only one table occupied out there when we were seated, but the other table had a very territorial dog. The experience was uncomfortable. We moved to a table as far away as we could get from the dog, but I was on edge until they finally left. The dog did not want us there, and the owners did not seem to be doing a great job of managing the dog.

(I can't remember why we stayed outside. This was a few years ago. It may have been obvious that they were nearing the end of their meal, or maybe it was crowded inside. I don't recall. Moving to a distant table helped, but it was not a real pleasant experience.)

In my experience, most casual places with sidewalk seating won't mind if you keep a well-behaved dog at your heels. (Unfortunately, our dog isn't always so well-behaved, so we don't try it that often.)

I believe that health codes prohibit a restaurant from letting your dog inside a restaurant. (I don't know if that varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.)

Union Bar (or is it Union Pub?) near Union Station has doggie-friendly happy hours on Saturdays.

This is only tangentially food-related, but here is a doggie-friendly event on Capitol Hill this Saturday:

Chateau-Animaux Yappy Hour on Saturday

Chateau-Animaux will host a dog adoption event and a special Bastille Day Yappy Hour on July 14.

Representatives of the Washington Humane Society will be set up in front of Chateau-Animaux (525 Eighth St., SE) with their adoption van from 12 to 3 p.m.

The event is in conjunction with CHAMPS’s Second Saturday events.

Yappy Hour will feature all-natural Zanadoo Dog Biscuits for the dog and wine and cheese for their humans.

Additionally, art works from Capitol Hill resident Astri Kleivdal will be on unveiled. Two of Kleivdal’s murals will be donated to the Rude Ranch, a no-kill shelter for abused, neglected and abandoned dogs. The non-profit shelter operates in the home of Bob and Kathy Rude and is also a hospice for terminally ill cats.

In honor of Bastille Day, there will be a drawing for a free case of wine. Yappy Hour begins at 6 p.m.. For information, contact Dennis Bourgault at (202) 544-8710.

(Aside: Not that it matters that much to the issue at hand, but places in New York were sometimes willing to overlook those rules. When we lived there, we took our small (12-pound) doggie to Surya, a pretty nice Indian restaurant in the West Village, a couple times. He sat next to us on the banquette. (The restaurant was either empty or nearly so at the time.))

I can't say that I have ever tried myself, but I would have to think that Lost Dog Cafe in Arlington would be the kind of place where dogs are welcomed. Has anyone ever tried taking their pooch there?

I can't say that I have ever tried myself, but I would have to think that Lost Dog Cafe in Arlington would be the kind of place where dogs are welcomed. Has anyone ever tried taking their pooch there?

They probably do welcome dogs. I hear Thomas Keller provides wash and fold service at his restaurant.

Dogs were once welcomed on our outdoor deck, that is until someones well behaved pooch decided to bite the leg of the waiter. Actually took four stitches to close the wound. The kicker was the people didn't even apologize. Made it sound as if the waiter had it coming. As much as I love dogs it was an easy decision to make. No more dogs.

Dogs were once welcomed on our outdoor deck, that is until someones well behaved pooch decided to bite the leg of the waiter. Actually took four stitches to close the wound. The kicker was the people didn't even apologize. Made it sound as if the waiter had it coming. As much as I love dogs it was an easy decision to make. No more dogs.
OT, sorta: The issue of dogs in Adams Morgan has been going on for years. The dog people think their pets have the same right to run free as other people's children. What's wrong with this picture? Somebody's dog did his business in the park where I do most of the work and spend the most money. I want to strangle some folks (but not their dogs). As long as folks will refuse to train their dogs, and will simultaneously think of them as having the same "rights" as children, this issue will never be resolved. I love dogs and cats and what I really want to know is: what is going to happen to jpschust's dog and cat? They are a HOOT!

While my dog likes (and needs) a bath on occasion, he does not enjoy being folded. Do most dogs?

<------------ Logan is a master of the time-honored art of Doberigami. He fits into some very small spaces. Not ready for the restaurant scene yet.

Several years ago, I had a Boston terrier named Wimsey who was trained to provide assistance for my medical disability. He accompanied me to quite a few restaurants, and most of the time no one even realized he was sleeping under the table.

I've been to several (numerous?) places in the DC area where people had well-behaved dogs outside. It never occurred to me it could be a problem until I ate on the patio at a restaurant (Irish pub type) in another city. There was only one table occupied out there when we were seated, but the other table had a very territorial dog. The experience was uncomfortable. We moved to a table as far away as we could get from the dog, but I was on edge until they finally left. The dog did not want us there, and the owners did not seem to be doing a great job of managing the dog.

(I can't remember why we stayed outside. This was a few years ago. It may have been obvious that they were nearing the end of their meal, or maybe it was crowded inside. I don't recall. Moving to a distant table helped, but it was not a real pleasant experience.)

See this is why I'd be concerned about dogs being allowed to dine near folks. Some dogs do weird things that people, even their own owners, can't forsee.

They probably do welcome dogs. I hear Thomas Keller provides wash and fold service at his restaurant.

At the price he charges for each visit to his establishment, you'd hope he'd iron and deliver as well ;)

We've taken the dobermans to dine with us on the patio at New Heights. They just lay quietly under the table while we dine. Typically the corner table on the outer edge of the patio is best if you wish to avoid sitting near anyone who is not comfortable around dogs.

Frank Deford on David Halberstam:

I now most remember a late night a few years ago on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, when my wife and I were out walking our little bichon frise, Bijou. Our apartment was near where David and his wife, Jean, lived, and we ran into him. He immediately said we must have a drink together. I pointed out that we had the dog. Never mind, he said, he often just took his own dog into bars. It'd be fine. And so the three of us, with Bijou, waltzed into the Café des Artistes, took a table and ordered drinks. Remarkably, Bijou behaved wonderfully, even if she'd never been in a bar before. I think she knew that the big man with the deep voice was responsible for her being there, and she better be grateful and good.

So I am in the mood to go out to eat tonight, but the fuzz bucket has been in the crate all day, so I need somewhere with outdoor seating out now- preferably near Ballston.

Any good ideas? I know Big Buns, Willow, Uncle Julio, Grand Cru, Liberty Tavern, Restaurant 3 and Boulevard Woodgrill have the outdoor seating out... Any other sightings? Especially ethnic. Will drive if need be.

Thanks all.

Oh and going to Rockland's tomorrow night so that is out.

So I am in the mood to go out to eat tonight, but the fuzz bucket has been in the crate all day, so I need somewhere with outdoor seating out now- preferably near Ballston.

Any good ideas? I know Big Buns, Willow, Uncle Julio, Grand Cru, Liberty Tavern, Restaurant 3 and Boulevard Woodgrill have the outdoor seating out... Any other sightings? Especially ethnic. Will drive if need be.

Thanks all.

You can call the Nam Viet in Clarendon to see if they have their tables out yet. I think this qualifies as ethnic.

Thanks all.

Hi,

I recently rescued a puppy and am curious on your guidance as to where the best outdoor dog-friendly places are...I am in the Arlington area...I saw your posting from March...does Willow allow doggies outside?

thanks!

Mungo

Hi,

I recently rescued a puppy and am curious on your guidance as to where the best outdoor dog-friendly places are...I am in the Arlington area...I saw your posting from March...does Willow allow doggies outside?

thanks!

Mungo

Arlington is wonderful for dogs. Most places in Clarendon with outdoor seating allow dogs (and the shops too if they are small), Willow does, so does Uncle Julios, Grand Cru and Big Buns. We have taken Max with us to Whitlows, Liberty Tavern, Mexicali Blues, Earls and Rocklands too. Max really loved when we took him to Heidelberg pastry shop as they have the grill outside and picnic tables. He was really disappointed not to get any Wurst.

Shirlington is not as puppy friendly as the dogs must be tied to the outside of their fences and my pup will just not stay on the outside of the fence when I am on the inside. Although their dog park is nice, so is the one on Glen Caryln.

Anyplace with outside seating in Bethesda and Georgetown are dog friendly too. Raku in Bethesda was especially nice.

We have also successfully taken him to Georgetown on weeknights, although they don't have as much outdoor seating, we got Tacklebox and ate on their outside benches. They have a really nice park now down on the waterfront. The stores are nice about taking dogs in (although Max is small and I can carry him).

And Annapolis and St. Michaels are wonderful dog day trips. Lots of outdoor seating, dog stores and dog friendly people.

Wanted to post here that Buzz Bakery is having their Bark Bash 2010 on June 27 from 6-8. If you don't have a dog for the event earlier that day they are having adoptions...

I can't seem to find the details on their website, but I copied the details from their email onto this blog post: Bark Bash Details . I will post more details as I receive them.

Jackson 20 in Old Town allows dogs in the sidewalk seating-even behind the rail. It's great people watching. Of course they also have Doggy Happy Hour Tues and Thurs. Last Thurs was packed in the courtyard, so we took Tucker to the King St. seating.

We had been big fans of Chadwick's, but the service has been so off (forget to bring drinks, 50 min. wait for food (not good with doggie in tow)) that we haven't been in a while. Perhaps we'll give it another shot.

Jackson 20 in Old Town allows dogs in the sidewalk seating-even behind the rail. It's great people watching. Of course they also have Doggy Happy Hour Tues and Thurs. Last Thurs was packed in the courtyard, so we too Tucker to the King St. seating.

We had been big fans of Chadwick's, but the service has been so off (forget to bring drinks, 50 min. wait for food (not good with doggie in tow)) that we haven't been in a while. Perhaps we'll give it another shot.

The French Hound (ha ha) in Middleburg.

Ironically, dogs are not allowed inside the restaurant.

And they don't have outdoor seating.

To add to the list of good places to go with dogs for others seeking the same info as me:

3 Bar and Grill

Punk's Backyard BBQ (Annapolis)

City Dock Cafe (Annapolis)

Northside Social (although I don't love the food)

Hiedelberg Pastry Shoppe's outdoor seating

I am hoping that some of the new places going into Ballston have dog friendly patios.

I didn't know whether to post this in delivery or here, but wanted to share.

The other night my husband and his brother came home for dinner. My Bil's phone rang and he answered and hung up. Immediately the dog went to the door sat down and waited patiently. After a couple minutes he started whining. Apparently Hubby orders too much delivery because now the dog associates answering the phone but not talking with delivery being delivered to our building. He was very disappointed not to be getting goodies delivered to his door. In fact he was quite miffed and pissed off that no food arrived. He pouted until I started making steak for dinner. That dog is way too smart for his own good.

I didn't know whether to post this in delivery or here, but wanted to share.

The other night my husband and his brother came home for dinner. My Bil's phone rang and he answered and hung up. Immediately the dog went to the door sat down and waited patiently. After a couple minutes he started whining. Apparently Hubby orders too much delivery because now the dog associates answering the phone but not talking with delivery being delivered to our building. He was very disappointed not to be getting goodies delivered to his door. In fact he was quite miffed and pissed off that no food arrived. He pouted until I started making steak for dinner. That dog is way too smart for his own good.

How's this for pathetic... I have 3 dogs and one in particular will whine and bark non-stop to get people food. When we order pizza and wings he will sit quietly through the wings because he knows there is no way he is going to get super spicy wings. When the pizza portion of the program begins, he begins the begging.

Same goes for Chinese. He knows I do not share my hot and sour soup. Quiet. He may or may not get a nibble of egg roll crust. Interested. He knows I'll give him a few grains of rice with my entree. Barkwhinebreathheavycoughsneezebarkrepeat.

Wanted to note that Barrel Oak Winery is super dog friendly. And kid friendly too. I can't really remember how much I liked the wine, I had a bit too much at that point, I remember it wasn't awful though.

I would disagree, strongly. It is indeed dog and kid friendly. The wine, well...

The wine made there was pretty meh, and the wine from other places was ok, but was from other places. It was crowded, and people kept jabbing me with their elbows and then getting annoyed that I was simply there, and, and, and... we all really disliked the place.

Just rescued a two-year old pup this past weekend, so with that plus the (hopefully) good weather coming up this spring, my +1 and I are definitely on the lookout for places we can take her and eat outside.

As people that haven't had a dog for the past however many years we've been in DC, we definitely understand not everyone loves dogs and wants to be around ours. We certainly don't plan to take her out if she won't behave and would only want to take her where she is welcome, but since she is crated during the work day, it would be nice to take her out for dinners or on weekends.

We live in Brookland, but go all over the city and out into VA frequently. Glad to hear about The Heights, Art and Soul and Union Pub since they are close, but sounds like we might need to venture into Arlington and Alexandria for a little more variety.

On Thursday, April 14 (tomorrow), Rocklands near Clarendon is hosting a Doggy Yappy Hour to benefit Doorways for Women and Families, a personal favorite local non-profit. They will be roasting a pig and dogs are most definitely welcome. You are also invited to bring non-perishable food items and/or good old coats. Cash donations are also encouraged.

Calling ktmoomau. This sounds like it is right up your alley.

On Thursday, April 14 (tomorrow), Rocklands near Clarendon is hosting a Doggy Yappy Hour to benefit Doorways for Women and Families, a personal favorite local non-profit. They will be roasting a pig and dogs are most definitely welcome. You are also invited to bring non-perishable food items and/or good old coats. Cash donations are also encouraged.

Calling ktmoomau. This sounds like it is right up your alley.

Oh man, I will likely be there, perhaps with others, even though it is Mexican night at my condo and I am on the social committee B)