Dining with Dogs

Cleveland Park is very dog friendly. Sorriso, Indique, Dino and even Palena all allow them at the outdoor tables. I'm guessing Medium Rare will also but their tables haven't yet been set up so not sure there. Cafe Ole is another great option on Wisconsin a bit north and west of Cleveland Park.

As for the different "bad dog" scenarios described previously on this string, I think it generally works if the dogs are treated as people would be in just one respect: bad behavior shouldn't be tolerated. A loud, aggressive and drunk person would likely be booted from a pub (unless it was a pub that specialized in that kind of thing like the NHL). In the same way, a poorly trained or "territorial" dog's owners should be politely asked to leave, consistent with the 'do-no-harm-to-others' ethic.

My dog goes with me everywhere I can take her because I hate to leave her alone. As long as dogs are well behaved, they are generally accepted at most outdoor dining spots. The ones I like the most because they are convenient or most dog-friendly are:

Barrack's Row - almost all the restaurants are OK with dogs and many you don't need to eat a meal (can just order drinks). Among the best for dogs are:

--Molly Malones - picnic bench patio out front (always has water for dogs)

--Lola's - tables in front and covered patio in back (always has water for dogs)

--Senart's - can tie them up outside the fence (the fence is sturdy enough they won't pull it away)

--Banana Cafe - outside the fence

--Fusion Grill

--Belga

Eastern Market/Penn Ave

--Tunnicliffs (allowed on the patio and heated in the winter)

--18th Amendment patio

--Capitol Lounge patio

--Mr. Henry's patio

Union Pub near Union Station has a doggie happy hour on the weekends

Shirlington allows dogs on all the patios I believe.

Del Ray has a Mexican place that is good about dogs and Cheesetique is OK with them outside the rope

Cantina Marina is great for dogs

Hope this helps a bit.

Max's favorite spot for outdoor dining continues to be Big Buns, due to the fact that he gets some burger and some sweet potato fries. We need to get him adjusted to outdoor dining again before venturing out further. So far he has been successful at Big Buns and Chipotle with no wandering or whining and staying pretty quiet under the table. But we always like to get him adjusted before going further away from the house. Still won't be able to take him anywhere that he has to be on the outside of a fence, the little guy feels the need to be by us all the time, but he is just over one so still pretty young.

Max's favorite spot for outdoor dining continues to be Big Buns, due to the fact that he gets some burger and some sweet potato fries. We need to get him adjusted to outdoor dining again before venturing out further. So far he has been successful at Big Buns and Chipotle with no wandering or whining and staying pretty quiet under the table. But we always like to get him adjusted before going further away from the house. Still won't be able to take him anywhere that he has to be on the outside of a fence, the little guy feels the need to be by us all the time, but he is just over one so still pretty young.

This is my fear with our dog. We've had her for about 2 months now, and she's around 2 years old, but she wants to be with us ALL THE TIME. At softball she whines and barks when she's outside the dugout, so I think it would be similar at a restaurant.

That being said sounds like there are some good Hill options out there. We went to Red Rocks in Columbia Heights Sunday evening and she was welcome there and fairly well behaved, even with another dog at a close by table and multiple dogs walking by on the street.

Love finding new places that will welcome her so we don't have to leave her cooped up more than necessary.

This is my fear with our dog. We've had her for about 2 months now, and she's around 2 years old, but she wants to be with us ALL THE TIME. At softball she whines and barks when she's outside the dugout, so I think it would be similar at a restaurant.

That being said sounds like there are some good Hill options out there. We went to Red Rocks in Columbia Heights Sunday evening and she was welcome there and fairly well behaved, even with another dog at a close by table and multiple dogs walking by on the street.

Love finding new places that will welcome her so we don't have to leave her cooped up more than necessary.

Our little guy is a rescue (don't know about yours) although rescued very young (6 weeks), I think sometimes that and being separated that young from his Mom and sibling probably hasn't helped the separation thing, although we try to work on it. Some dog breeds seem to have more separation issues than others (he's a bichon/maltese mix and they seem to be pretty prevalent). But so long as he can be at our feet he is wonderful when we are out and very calm and happy. Last year we could take him to a lot of places in Arlington. Walking from Ballston to Clarendon wears him out a little so then he is pretty happy to chill for a bit. And bless his heart he just loves people, he is such an attention hog.

We almost went to Heidelberg Bakery last weekend- he loves it there too! Oh and Rocklands are still doing their doggy happy hours regularly. I also am hoping the Buzz in Arlington has dog treats, as I know the Alexandria location does. Apparently Marvelous Market in Ballston is very accommodating. I want to check on Rustico in Ballston as they have a great patio.

PAMPER YOUR POOCH WITH THE ‘PUPPY LOVE’ PACKAGE AT MANDARIN ORIENTAL, WASHINGTON D.C.

WASHINGTON, D.C., April 25, 2013 – To celebrate National Pet Month in May, Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. is pleased to unleash its Puppy Love Package to welcome four-legged fans to the nation’s capital.

Available until December 31, 2013, the package starts at USD 375 and includes the following:

· Overnight accommodations in a deluxe guestroom

· In-room pet accommodations

· Welcome amenity for guest and pet

· Complimentary parking

Pampered pooches will also have the opportunity to order from a specially created IRD (In-room Doggy) Menu, and select from entrees including Original Beef & Rice, Best Beef & Barley, Perfect Pooch Pasta and Tail-Waggin’ Turkey. All entrees are offered at USD 17.25 per meal. FOR AN EXTRA $1,725 PER PUP, ERIC ZIEBOLD WILL PERSONALLY COME TO YOUR ROOM AND MICROWAVE YOUR PET'S MEAL.

“As a long-time dog owner, I am especially pleased that we are a pet-friendly hotel and that our guests can enjoy their stay with their dogs,” said General Manager Adriaan Radder. “The hotel’s location, near the national mall, the Tidal Basin and the nearby open spaces of Hains Point make it the ideal getaway for guests and pets.”

For reservations, please contact the hotel directly at +1 (202) 787-6140, toll free (888) 888-1778, or visit www.mandarinoriental.com/washington. The Puppy Love package is subject to availability and is applicable for pets 40 pounds or less. The package is not available for groups and cannot be combined with any other offers.

About Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

The hotel’s unique location on the southwest waterfront makes Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. the only hotel offering views of the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument, Tidal Basin and Washington Marina. In addition to exceptional accommodations and gracious service,

the hotel features the Forbes Four-Star Spa at Mandarin Oriental, the Southern-style restaurant Sou’Wester, and the AAA Five Diamond CityZen. For reservations, please contact the hotel directly at +1 (202) 787-6140, toll free (888) 888-1778, or visit www.mandarinoriental.com/washington.

About Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group

Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the world's most prestigious hotels and resorts. The Group now operates, or has under development, 44 hotels representing 11,000 rooms in 27 countries, with 19 hotels in Asia, 12 in The Americas and 13 in Europe, Middle East and North Africa. In addition, the Group operates, or has under development, 14 Residences at Mandarin Oriental connected to its properties.

Photography of Mandarin Oriental is available to download, in high and low resolution, in the Photo Library of our Media section, at www.mandarinoriental.com.

-end-

• Like 1

This list circulated a few weeks ago on the Shaw Dog Park message board. I'm hesitant to add any of the restaurants above since they're from a few years ago at this point. If people want to add other spots they take their dogs I'll update it though. It would be great to have a comprehensive list of where I can take my dog. 2013: Summer of dog bars!

Allows dogs inside

The Pug

Wonderland

Union Pub

Maple (limited dog-friendly happy hours)

Allows dogs on patio

Veranda

Shaw’s Tavern

Blind Dog/Darnell's Bar

Big Bear

RedRocks

Rustik Tavern

Brasserie Beck

The Heights

Boundary Stone

Union Pub (providers water bowl)

Art and Soul (dog menu)

Cantina Marina (dog happy hour, summer Mondays 5-9)

15 Ria (Doggie Happy Hour Thursdays 6-8, weather permitting)

Hotel Helix

DC Bread & Brew

Acadiana (certain happy hours)

Argonaut (only on Saturdays 12-5, outside fence other times)

Allows dogs outside fencing

Standard (provides water bowl)

Rice

Commissary