Arlington County Meals Tax Delinquencies

Dark Wing

Here is the latest list as of 12-12-2012. I do not recall Eleventh Street figuring so prominently in previous lists. My guess is this pattern of behavior started the moment it was announced that the block was being razed and redeveloped. Apparently once the end was inevitable, they chose the ignoble way to go out.

ArlingtonMealsTax.pdf

Although this post is not about tax delinquencies, it is in the same vein.

Last evening, I ate at a small, very casual restaurant with my children in Northern Virginia. We ordered just a couple of items and I was surprised by the overall cost. Not shocked, mind you, just surprised. As we finished our meal I glanced at my receipt, when something jumped out at me. The tax on my bill was 10%, and furthermore, the rounding was incorrect as well, rounding up a penny when it should have been down a penny. The total amount I was overcharged was slightly less than a $1. I doubt anyone would notice, and I only noticed by accident.

But this was no accident. Tax rates in a POS are entered by the proprietor, and can easily be changed on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. They can be changed to the 1/100th of a percent. Any monies collected above the tax rate is pure profit for the proprietor. I have contacted the restaurant this morning and am affording them the opportunity to correct it. It is possible that a new manager accidentally changed the tax rate, but I doubt that. Shameful.

But if you were within the borders of Fairfax City, there is an additional 5% tax on restaurant meals, which makes it 10% total. I don't know if you were in Fairfax City or not.

Was not in City of Fairfax, but I believet the Meal Tax there is an additional 4%, bringing it to 9% total. I believe Vienna is 3%. I am sure the restaurant I ate in that the tax rate is 5%, as there are plenty of other restaurants in the immediate vicinity and my wife is a good receipt keeper. So, after checking the internet for tax rates, I found adjacent restaurant receipts charging the "correct" tax.

This is far from an industry problem and I've never seen this before. But there are such varying rates in local that the opportunity does exist for unscrupulous people. The only reason that I have not posted the restaurants name was (a) I wanted to hear from them and (B) I could be wrong.

sungazette.net/articles/2009/12/19/arlington/news/nw319.txt

Now you know why I link to Wikipedia all the time - their articles will still be online in five years.

Because somebody, somewhere, changed a link, bought a company, or didn't archive an article, the entire first part of this thread got totally hosed - I cannot find *anything* on the internet from 2009 related to this issue.

I changed dcs's link (post #51) to a .pdf file, downloaded it, and re-uploaded it so it won't disappear in ten years.