hungry prof

Hill Country Barbecue and The Boot Bar (Downstairs) - 7th Street and Indiana Avenue in Penn Quarter

81 posts in this topic

The popular NYC BBQ joint is coming to a 13,000 sq ft space two blocks from the Verizon Center.

Anyone eaten there in NY? More mediocre barbecue in the District, or is this reason for hope?

Since he says "This coming spring" (for the chicken joint), followed later in the paragraph by "Next fall" (for the Verizon Center opening), I wonder if he means 2010 or 2011.

I've had long discussions about the use of "this [Thursday, Summer, etc.]" vs. "next [Thursday, Summer, etc.]," including some with professional writers, and have yet to determine a satisfactory rule for usage.

If "next fall" is 2010, then what is "this fall?" Also 2010? As of when? And when does "next fall" become 2011? I don't like this.

Calling Carol Blymire.

Since he says "This coming spring" (for the chicken joint), followed later in the paragraph by "Next fall" (for the Verizon Center opening), I wonder if he means 2010 or 2011.

Last summer, Tom S. reported Penn Quarter location would be opening July 2010 (link).

I've had long discussions about the use of "this [Thursday, Summer, etc.]" vs. "next [Thursday, Summer, etc.]," including some with professional writers, and have yet to determine a satisfactory rule for usage.

If "next fall" is 2010, then what is "this fall?" Also 2010? As of when? And when does "next fall" become 2011? I don't like this.

Calling Carol Blymire.

The rule isn't dissimilar from the formal differentiation between ceci and cela if you think of "this [Thursday]" as "here" and "next [Thursday]" as "there". English would like the nearer[est] item to be identified as "this," so "this Thursday" is the one that is imminent.

The problem is more with "next" because English has an informal rule that something in the past, if closer, can also be designated by "this" -- in full sentences the verb takes care of us knowing; English is contextual, after all -- but can result in the problem that since last December is closer (in space/time) than the December of 2010, Dec 09 becomes "this December" and Dec 2010 is "next December" (at least informally if not technically). Ideally I'd differentiate -- "this past December" or, preferably, "the past December" -- but English, as we all know, is far from ideal.

So, sadly, you're not going to get a satisfactory answer, because the same way that most people walking around on the streets of Limoges or Marseille will use "ceci" in casual conversation even when they mean "cela," we aren't going to follow the rule that "this" is always the one on the horizon, and "next" is the one after.

(Thank the CMS for that. Also read Biting the Wax Tadpole by Elizabeth Little for more grammar quirks from around the world, and check the acknowledgements page when you pick it up.) :angry:

(Don, you can delete this -- I know it's not germane to the thread. :lol:)

Calling Carol Blymire.

Oy, why people don't just say Month/Season, Year I will never understand.

Well, "this coming" is always the closest instance of the thing referred to, so "this coming spring" would be March/April this year. "Next fall" could be this year or next in this case; there's not enough context to tell which.

Anyone eaten there in NY? More mediocre barbecue in the District, or is this reason for hope?

I've eaten there a few times in NY and really really enjoy it. Their BBQ is a lot better than mediocre DC BBQ so I think this will be a huge success. It's actually really pretty good. Plus the concept is sort of interesting - You order drinks from a waiter and then you go to stations and order the BBQ and sides. They pull the meats right out of the smoker and carve it in front of you. You pay by the pound for meats and sides are in sizes. Its a great concept as you can try everything and eat as much or as little as you want. Their moist brisket (with all the fat) is particularly outstanding. And they have beef ribs which is nice for a change.

My wife (raised in Austin) is thrilled that "real Texas BBQ" might be coming to the area. "Hill Country" is an area around Austin, fyi.

Capital Q is terrible, in her opinion.

I've eaten there a few times in NY and really really enjoy it. Their BBQ is a lot better than mediocre DC BBQ so I think this will be a huge success. It's actually really pretty good. Plus the concept is sort of interesting - You order drinks from a waiter and then you go to stations and order the BBQ and sides. They pull the meats right out of the smoker and carve it in front of you. You pay by the pound for meats and sides are in sizes. Its a great concept as you can try everything and eat as much or as little as you want. Their moist brisket (with all the fat) is particularly outstanding. And they have beef ribs which is nice for a change.

If they are claiming to be Texas Q the brisket better be good! :angry:

One can only imagine how much business this place is going to do before and after a Caps or Wizards game. Frankly, the food could stink (which I sincerely hope it doesn't), and they'll still make a killing. Oh, moral hazard. . .

One can only imagine how much business this place is going to do before and after a Caps or Wizards game. Frankly, the food could stink (which I sincerely hope it doesn't), and they'll still make a killing. Oh, moral hazard. . .

Evidently the original was favorably received in 2007. See the New York Magazine review here.

My wife (raised in Austin) is thrilled that "real Texas BBQ" might be coming to the area. "Hill Country" is an area around Austin, fyi.

Capital Q is terrible, in her opinion.

There are a lot of places in "Hill Country" that have truly mediocre bbq. It's taken me about 30 years but I now believe I've been to most of them (my company has a subcontractor in Manchaca with several there who are absolutely obsessed with bbq). For the reason that many in Austin drive to Llano (Cooper's) or Luling (City Market) it is really difficult to find outstanding marbled brisket with a 1/4" + pink streak under the crust crust or a great link where the juice explodes in your mouth when you bite into the casing. I have not been to the New York restaurant but the idea of a New York version of an Austin bbq joint does not thrill me. Still, Austin's Ironworks is probably better than anything in D. C. and places like the County Line on the Hill and the Salt Lick in Driftwood have a great deal of ambience. But I believe that even in Austin you have to drive. I'd add a couple of places in Lockhart, Louie Mueller's in Taylor and a place in Elgin. There's also a place that Texas Monthly raves about which is a church that sells Q on the weekends. I haven't been to yet but will find a way this Spring.

You're not going to find a pit in D. C. like Luling (or the original Kreuz in Lockhart or Louie Mueller's) where when you walk into the room the smoke is so thick that the walls and ceiling have blackened with time or the pit man has a smoker's cough and has never smoked a cigarette. You're also not going to find brisket that smokes for 20+ hours (two + days at Clark's in Tioga north of Dallas). What I would expect would be a place like Rudy's (all over Texas and New Mexico) which are attempts to recapture the authentic pit ambience but the brisket, ribs and links come up short. For a lot of people Rudy's will be incredible. But for someone who is able to eat at Rudy's and Cooper's hours apart the difference is night and day.

Regardless of what opens here or is in Manhattan, for truly great bbq you're still going to have go to Texas. And there you are really going to have to search for it. There are only a few places left that really do it right.

The New York Magazine article fails to note that the original Kreuz Market moved nine or ten years ago from the 100+ year old building it was in. They built a new pit. The old one is now called "Smitty's."

I emailed Hill Country to find out when they were arriving, and the message follows:

Rob,

Thanks for your interest in us!!! We are coming Fall 2010, and can't wait. Should be October/November.

I will put you on our NYC mailing list to keep you abreast of our progress!! In the mean time please come check us out next time you are in NYC!!

Warmest Regards,

John

John Shaw

Operating Partner & COO

Hill Country Hospitality

30 West 26th Street

New York, NY 10010

There are a lot of places in "Hill Country" that have truly mediocre bbq. It's taken me about 30 years but I now believe I've been to most of them (my company has a subcontractor in Manchaca with several there who are absolutely obsessed with bbq). For the reason that many in Austin drive to Llano (Cooper's) or Luling (City Market) it is really difficult to find outstanding marbled brisket with a 1/4" + pink streak under the crust crust or a great link where the juice explodes in your mouth when you bite into the casing. I have not been to the New York restaurant but the idea of a New York version of an Austin bbq joint does not thrill me. Still, Austin's Ironworks is probably better than anything in D. C. and places like the County Line on the Hill and the Salt Lick in Driftwood have a great deal of ambience. But I believe that even in Austin you have to drive. I'd add a couple of places in Lockhart, Louie Mueller's in Taylor and a place in Elgin. There's also a place that Texas Monthly raves about which is a church that sells Q on the weekends. I haven't been to yet but will find a way this Spring.

You're not going to find a pit in D. C. like Luling (or the original Kreuz in Lockhart or Louie Mueller's) where when you walk into the room the smoke is so thick that the walls and ceiling have blackened with time or the pit man has a smoker's cough and has never smoked a cigarette. You're also not going to find brisket that smokes for 20+ hours (two + days at Clark's in Tioga north of Dallas). What I would expect would be a place like Rudy's (all over Texas and New Mexico) which are attempts to recapture the authentic pit ambience but the brisket, ribs and links come up short. For a lot of people Rudy's will be incredible. But for someone who is able to eat at Rudy's and Cooper's hours apart the difference is night and day.

Regardless of what opens here or is in Manhattan, for truly great bbq you're still going to have go to Texas. And there you are really going to have to search for it. There are only a few places left that really do it right.

The New York Magazine article fails to note that the original Kreuz Market moved nine or ten years ago from the 100+ year old building it was in. They built a new pit. The old one is now called "Smitty's."

does look to me like the inspiration for this venture comes straight from Lockhart (as opposed to Austin, say)

Though I doubt Kreuz, even in the "new" building, has anybody with the title "operating partner and COO", nor do I believe the word "hospitality" is included in their entity name, not that that of necessity precludes the production of good Texas Q. Now if Hill Country DC establishes a

"No Sauce (nothing to hide) No Forks (they're at the end of your arms) No Kidding (see the owner's face)"

policy I will DEFINITELY be impressed

My wife remembers driving to Cooper's now and then, but Ironworks, County Line, and Salt Lick were regular stops. We have nothing approaching any of them around here.

When I went to Austin on an internship in 2000, I discovered the joys of BBQ (despite visits to Ruby's and a nearby Rudy's). It was enough to take a self-designed BBQ tour with my dad a few years later. From my experience, Cooper's and Louis Mueller's are extraordinary while Black's was also notable. I don't think I'll be headed back to Austin anytime soon though, so if Hill Country is even decent I will welcome them with open arms. And if they are better than that, it'll be gravy.

I was in NYC last month and ate twice at Hill Country. The brisket was really awesome as were the ribs. However, it was very pricey! I am definitely looking forward to it opening up here.

I was in NYC last month and ate twice at Hill Country. The brisket was really awesome as were the ribs. However, it was very pricey! I am definitely looking forward to it opening up here.

According to the City Paper, Hill Country D.C. is opening this month at 410 Seventh Street NW. Looking forward to it....

Rob

According to the City Paper, Hill Country D.C. is opening this month at 410 Seventh Street NW. Looking forward to it....

Rob

Citypaper admitted today that they didn't do there research on that item - they just picked up a bad fact from Zagat.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2010/07/07/not-so-fast-about-hill-country-in-d-c-opening-date-moved-to-years-end/

Hill Country is looking more at an end of year opening.

Thanks for the correction--I just found out myself.

Rob

I was REALLY looking forward to Hill Country when I first learned they were coming. I'm still looking forward to it but I've dialed my enthusiasm down a notch after trying the original location in New York City. The prices were through the roof for BBQ! For a brisket sandwich, one small side (pinto beans), one small dessert (banana pudding) and a soda my check came out to just shy of $25. Between myself and my dining partner I sampled 3 sides. None were anything special yet they each cost >= $4.75. I did enjoy the smoky goodness of the brisket although next time I will go for the lean cut.

Hill Country is definitely one of the better NYC BBQ places that have opened since the millenium (I like Blue Smoke too, but they offer a heck of a lot more than just bbq). While the prices aren't what you'd expect to pay in Austin, Greensboro or KC, for that matter, they're not at all out of line for NYC or DC...after all, $15 or more for a burger ain't chump change.

There are also plenty of specials to be had. Lunch specials every day. On Monday nights, it's all you can eat BBQ for around $25. Two happy hours a day also. So, let's keep the price in perspective.

BTW, moist brisket is the way to go. As a friend and I were devouring a plateful one night, brisket pudding was the best way for us to describe it. Beware, it's not for the weak of heart.

I am on their email list and so far they have not said anything about DC. Guess they are keeping their cards close to their collective vest.

I am on their email list and so far they have not said anything about DC. Guess they are keeping their cards close to their collective vest.

There is a dc mailing list now, fyi. Still no word on an opening date though. I'm happy to pay through the teeth for real brisket and a Kreuz jalapeno cheese, and if they do the same $25 ayce monday night special that they have in ny (brisket, pork ribs, chicken, and sides) then I'm going to need bigger pants.

Looks like we finally have some official news! According to this missive, Hill Country DC will be opening in a few weeks ("mid-March").

Rob