Choupi Crepe and Waffle Cart, Rosslyn - Closed

I saw another cart this week in Rosslyn on N. Lynn St. not far from the McDonald's. I was driving so I couldn't get a close look, but it looked like it was called something like Choup? and might have had crepes? Has anyone else seen it or been to it?

Choupi opened up there over a few weeks ago. I tried a crepe and found it be pretty tasty and a great addition to the Arlington street cart scene. Their website is here.

Choupi opened up there over a few weeks ago. I tried a crepe and found it be pretty tasty and a great addition to the Arlington street cart scene. Their website is here.

And right across the street from where I work. Could be a nice addition to the scene around here...just kind of wish they used higher-quality ingredients. The caramel in my caramel crepe this morning came from a tube of Smuckers ice cream topping. They do have Nutella, though, which I know a lot of people like.

They do have Nutella, though, which I know a lot of people like.

around here, coppi's put nutella on the map, at least for me, with its calzone di nutella, one of my favorite desserts, at least at the time.

it was created in the 1940s by pietro ferrero as a way of extending cocoa, which was in short supply in italy , with hazelnuts, which were plentiful in the north, according to the u.s. manufacturer's web site.

there are 50 nuts in a 13-ounce jar, along with skim milk and whey, which sound nutritious enough, along with modified palm oil, about which i am not so sure.

moms can use it to provide part of a balanced breakfast, apparently. i would have had no quarrel with that as a child, washing it down with tang.

Could be a nice addition to the scene around here...just kind of wish they used higher-quality ingredients.

Since District Taco no-showed today due to the weather, I ambled over to Choupi for some lunch. I had the spinach and feta and had no issue with the freshnesss or quality of the ingredients. At $3.99 I was worried that I would be left hungry and was tempted to order two. That would have been a mistake. One was more than enough. It even survived a short walk without getting unduly soggy (as the fresh crepe was fairly moist). I will definitely be adding this place to the rotation. I do wish, however, that they would add a few more savory offerings, as the menu leans distinctly to the sweet.

To start with, it was a dire day. The river was overflowing its banks, the wind was howling the last of the storm clouds away, and I was either going to have a crepe or collapse in front of a GUTS bus and let it run me over.

Ah, but there was Choupi, forming a corner of an equilateral triangle with the GUTS stop and the Vamoose bus. I had the $3.99 ham and cheese- I can't vouch for summer, or even spring, but today, when the wolverine teeth of winter have sunk into your calf and just won't let go, a hot bubbling crepe (roughly a half-pound of heft to it, though I was there late in the day so they may have decided EVERYTHING MUST GO and handed it to me), the crepe moist and reminding you that it was once batter not long ago but has now grown up into something very bad for you with pleasant toasted spots.

I wanted to lurch around the corner, holding the crepe in front of me like Sweeney Todd with a razor, shouting "You, sir! There, sir! Would you like a crepe?!?" because everyone looked miserable without one.

To be fair, the crepe itself was good enough that I don't remember much about the filling other than it being "Ham" and "Cheese" like when you have a mutt and people ask what kind of dog it is and you can only say, "He's a Dog. That's all." It was Ham and Cheese that got the job done and didn't wait around to take credit or be thanked.

I'll, of course, be back to try the waffles.