Sauca, High-Tech Street Food Trucks - Brick and Mortar Restaurant on Columbia Pike has Closed, Trucks Closed Also

Sauca popped up in Logan Circle today, on P St cross from the Whole Foods. I was one of their first customers. Overall, I think this is a wonderful addition to our DC lunch options. I like that their menu offers bold, international flavors and I'm looking forward to trying more of their offerings.

I ordered their take on a Banh Mi, my friend got their Butter Chicken (both $7.50) and we split their Hot and Sour Soup ($4 for 12 oz). All their sandwiches are served on a piece of flat, grilled, chewy bread, somewhere in the naan/flour tortilla family. This place has a lot in common with Naan & Beyond.

The Banh Mi had most of the traditional elements -- sweet roasted pork, radishes, cilantro, pickled carrots and daikon. There wasn't any pate or any heat, but the pork was saucy and it was a good size for lunch. I'd put a little hot sauce on it, next time. No, this is not the answer to the great metro area banh mi shortage, but it's a tasty sandwich.

The Butter Chicken was a little less successful than the Banh Mi, in that the rice muted the flavors a little, or maybe it just wasn't as rich or complex as I'd like, and could have benefited from a little more sauce... but I only had one bite.

The Hot & Sour soup was cornstarched to the point of gumminess -- velvety is fine, but once it starts quaking like jello in the spoon, that's too thick for me. They only had one soup today -- if the mulligatawny or the chicken noodle were available, I would have gone for them.

They offer an array of at least 16 gratis sauces, but they weren't well-labeled and I opted against playing condiment roulette. They'll have it sorted out by tomorrow, and I am excited to try them.

My only real concern with their venture is that, by making every sandwich to order, they are likely to run into service speed and line size issues. If the Fojols struggled with that, and all they do is spoon sauces over rice, I just don't know how they are going to crank out six different delicious, multi-ingredient sandwiches quickly enough to keep the lunch line moving. I hope I'm wrong!

Alex

Picked up a Thai Chicken Salad from Sauca in Eastern Market today. By far the best salad I've had in DC in as long as I can remember. Hard to judge a place on one visit but I hope they are able to thrive and survive. Seems like the past month has thrown cold water on the food truck phenomena in DC.

However, I'll be following the Sauca Truck's website and Twitter to track down the salad again sometime soon!

had a pretty decent Fiah taco wrap from these guys today....walked straight up and ordered at 1pm - beat the hell out of joining a 50-75 person line at the Lobster Truck around the corner

nice bit of friendly soccer banter as well with my order......i would go back

....walked straight up and ordered at 1pm

I keep attempting to try Sauca when they are on Mass at North Cap, but each time (have made 3 attempts so far) they are not ready to serve. I have made at progressively later attempts (11:30, 11:45, noon). I should mention that Sauca is not the only truck that seems to be a little off the ball as to when areas begin eating lunch, so far at that corner I have never found one effectively offering hot food before noon. This seems to be a distinct advantage even the crappier brick and mortar establishments have over the trucks.

I keep attempting to try Sauca when they are on Mass at North Cap, but each time (have made 3 attempts so far) they are not ready to serve. I have made at progressively later attempts (11:30, 11:45, noon). I should mention that Sauca is not the only truck that seems to be a little off the ball as to when areas begin eating lunch, so far at that corner I have never found one effectively offering hot food before noon. This seems to be a distinct advantage even the crappier brick and mortar establishments have over the trucks.

Is there any way of finding out the quasi-regular schedule of which trucks are at Mass and North Capitol on which days of the week? Had an excellent pulled pork with spicy guava sandwich today from Floridana (sp?), FWIW.

Is there any way of finding out the quasi-regular schedule of which trucks are at Mass and North Capitol on which days of the week? Had an excellent pulled pork with spicy guava sandwich today from Floridana (sp?), FWIW.

While not a schedule, this is as close as I can find to track all of the trucks that are out:

http://www.thestreats.com/

This link has already been posted in the food truck thread

Stay away from the curry potato salad. It was...horrendous. Waste of $4 for me. Watery, way too much dill and vinegar, couldn't taste the curry at all. I ate a few bites and had to throw the rest away because I couldn't stomach any more...

Also had the butter chicken over their rice, and while it had good flavor...it wasn't really the flavors you expect out of butter chicken/chicken tikka masala/chicken makhani, It was more like a generic "Indian flavors" taste. Also, it was REALLY greasy. There was a pool of grease at the bottom when I was done. It also was like pulled chicken instead of chicken chunks.

I really should have gotten mine with the flatbread because that seemed to be more worth the $7.50 than when you get it with the rice. The rice portion was just SO not worth what I paid. Coupled with the curry potato salad, I'm not very impressed with Sauca. I might try them again Friday at the Curbside Cook-off, but maybe will read some more reviews of their food first to see which item would be a "best bet".

Sauca is open on Columbia Pike (don't bother reading the article comments - trust me). I'm looking forward to trying it.

I thought the comments section was fairly entertaining, compared to the comments on many blogs. At least people weren't calling each other rightwingnuts and leftwingtards.

PS I like Sauca and hope they do well here.

The trucks have permanently ceased operations as well. Owner Farhad Assari cites a desired lifestyle change. The best to you, sir.

The best to him, indeed. He created a lovely little restaurant with terrific service and imaginative food. I'm very sorry to see it go, but I understand that the lifestyle to keep a restaurant and food trucks going is very difficult.