Anna Blume

Ingredient Source 911

427 posts in this topic

A couple of years ago I was thrilled to find paccheri (scroll down & forgive source), a kind of wide tubular pasta, at Giant in Tenleytown of all places. (Large enough to stuff, which is my intention.) It was when the store was going upscale and trying for sophistication in a special store brand.

In what is now my local Giant, product lines are dumbed down. I am thinking of going to Litteri, though for just one item... Sometimes you'll find the stuff at TJ Maxx or Marshall's, but I am wondering if anyone has seen these guys in a more mainstream location in DC--like a Giant.

Mille grazie!

Here are some online sources for paccheri:

Honest Foods and Amazon grocery.

But I want to say that I saw some at Harris Teeter or even Whole Foods, but am not proof positive. Used to see them at Giant, but I am also wondering if World Market might have some.

Edited by goodeats

Here are some online sources for paccheri:

Honest Foods and Amazon grocery.

But I want to say that I saw some at Harris Teeter or even Whole Foods, but am not proof positive. Used to see them at Giant, but I am also wondering if World Market might have some.

I don't think they have paccheri, but for Italian ingredients, try Piazza Italian Market, which sells online and has a pretty wide selection of hard to find ingredients. www.piazzaitalianmarket.com

for olive oil, the best place in the US (IMHO) is Olio2go

I know the first post in the thread is an old one, but in case anyone is still wondering, World Market (located in Friendship Heights and at Pentagon City) stocks Lyle's golden syrup.

I know the first post in the thread is an old one, but in case anyone is still wondering, World Market (located in Friendship Heights and at Pentagon City) stocks Lyle's golden syrup.

Rodman's Friendship Heights is where I get it.

You were right about Whole Foods. $6.99 for 12 oz. from NJ in the specialty food section (i.e. next to cheese cases), but I got 5 cents off for bringing my own shopping bag.

Not DC, but the Italian Store on Spout Run stocks a lot of pasta shapes not found elsewhere. Bonus, if you go you can pick up a great sandwich, frozen ravioli that actually has enough in the box to feed more than 2 or 3 people, and a $75 jar of Nutella that will last forever.

Rodman's Friendship Heights is where I get it.

I just searched here and in Google to be sure, and while there are tons and tons of references to finds at Rodman's, I can't find any established thread dedicated to this store. :( Not sure if I am merely unsuccessful, or if there isn't any.

Not sure if I am merely unsuccessful, or if there isn't any.

Am pretty sure there isn't any. It has been mentioned as a go-to places tons of times, but feel free to start one!

This weather has me in a cranberry mood. Has anyone seen fresh cranberries yet? Is it too early?

Not too early for Halloween candy and plastic Jack O' Lanterns in the shelves previously devoted to picnic and lunch box items at the supermarket...but now that I am about to switch over to oatmeal, I think dried cranberries from Trader Joe's will do.

I'm using almost the last of my salted capers tonight. These came in a jar--Caravaglio brand. I parcel them out grudgingly, as I find it very hard to find capers packed in salt. I don't remember where I got this little jar.

After years of thinking I hated capers, several years ago the old Pinecrest Whole Foods had salted capers on the olive bar. I loved them. They didn't last that long, and I all but begged them to bring them back...unsuccessfully. Brined capers, which are all I can usually find, taste to me like nailpolish remover (not that I've ever consumed nailpolish remover, but eccchhh :( ). Does anyone have a good source for salt-packed capers?

Does anyone have a good source for salt-packed capers?

I may have seen them at Rodman's, but I can't say for sure. Rodman's is almost certainly the all-round best local source for imported things in jars. But you can always order them online and have them shipped to you. I'm feeling too lazy at the moment to go get you the links, but I know you can order them from La Tienda, Buon Italia, and Di Bruno Bros., and I imagine hundreds of other online purveyors. Shipping charges often make this option less attractive than it might otherwise be, I understand.

I'm using almost the last of my salted capers tonight. These came in a jar--Caravaglio brand. I parcel them out grudgingly, as I find it very hard to find capers packed in salt. I don't remember where I got this little jar.

After years of thinking I hated capers, several years ago the old Pinecrest Whole Foods had salted capers on the olive bar. I loved them. They didn't last that long, and I all but begged them to bring them back...unsuccessfully. Brined capers, which are all I can usually find, taste to me like nailpolish remover (not that I've ever consumed nailpolish remover, but eccchhh :( ). Does anyone have a good source for salt-packed capers?

I believe I found some at Dean & Deluca in Georgetown years ago. IIRC, they were near the salt-packed anchovies.

Does anyone know where I can find venison rib chops, preferably in MD? I could also order online if shipping didn't make them prohibitively expensive. I've seen some venison at Wegman's and I've even gotten some generic "steaks" in some chain grocery store, but so far I've been unimpressed with the quality and neither had chops. Thanks.

While I'm at it...possible to get black truffles without breaking the bank? Does someone maybe sell them online in less than whole truffle amounts? I've also seen these at Wegman's, but have no idea as to the quality or price. It was at least 2 years ago that I saw them there.

Is anybody seeing chanterelles yet? I need some. I've tried Whole Foods and Costco, which both stock them at certain times.

Is anybody seeing chanterelles yet? I need some. I've tried Whole Foods and Costco, which both stock them at certain times.

I think the mushroom lady at the local FMs have them by this time, although I have been staying away from them lately, lest I spend too much there.

Anyone know where I can get humanely raised veal cheeks on short notice, preferably in MD? I need them by Friday. Balducci's can special order them but I waited too long. Whole Foods can't get them. I do have emails out to a few local farmers who raise veal, but I've never seen any of them offer cheeks.

Anyone know where I can get humanely raised veal cheeks on short notice, preferably in MD? I need them by Friday. Balducci's can special order them but I waited too long. Whole Foods can't get them. I do have emails out to a few local farmers who raise veal, but I've never seen any of them offer cheeks.

check with The Organic Butcher of McLean. I've found veal cheeks there in the past.

I realize it's been 3 weeks since this post, but I just saw chanterelles at Wegman's in Fairfax last week.

It's been a week of malfunctioning equipment and incomplete shipments. And I have one more day to go. I want those big green olives stuffed with blue cheese, and I'm willing to go fairly far to get them. Anyone seen them?

It's been a week of malfunctioning equipment and incomplete shipments. And I have one more day to go. I want those big green olives stuffed with blue cheese, and I'm willing to go fairly far to get them. Anyone seen them?

We see them at Harris Teeter pretty regularly.