Ingredient Source 911

Anna Blume

A couple of years ago I was thrilled to find paccheri (scroll down & forgive source), a kind of wide tubular pasta, at Giant in Tenleytown of all places. (Large enough to stuff, which is my intention.) It was when the store was going upscale and trying for sophistication in a special store brand.

In what is now my local Giant, product lines are dumbed down. I am thinking of going to Litteri, though for just one item... Sometimes you'll find the stuff at TJ Maxx or Marshall's, but I am wondering if anyone has seen these guys in a more mainstream location in DC--like a Giant.

Mille grazie!

Here are some online sources for paccheri:

Honest Foods and Amazon grocery.

But I want to say that I saw some at Harris Teeter or even Whole Foods, but am not proof positive. Used to see them at Giant, but I am also wondering if World Market might have some.

I don't think they have paccheri, but for Italian ingredients, try Piazza Italian Market, which sells online and has a pretty wide selection of hard to find ingredients. www.piazzaitalianmarket.com

for olive oil, the best place in the US (IMHO) is Olio2go

But I want to say that I saw some at Harris Teeter or even Whole Foods, but am not proof positive. Used to see them at Giant, but I am also wondering if World Market might have some.

You were right about Whole Foods. $6.99 for 12 oz. from NJ in the specialty food section (i.e. next to cheese cases), but I got 5 cents off for bringing my own shopping bag.

Not DC, but the Italian Store on Spout Run stocks a lot of pasta shapes not found elsewhere. Bonus, if you go you can pick up a great sandwich, frozen ravioli that actually has enough in the box to feed more than 2 or 3 people, and a $75 jar of Nutella that will last forever.

Rodman's Friendship Heights is where I get it.

I just searched here and in Google to be sure, and while there are tons and tons of references to finds at Rodman's, I can't find any established thread dedicated to this store. :( Not sure if I am merely unsuccessful, or if there isn't any.

This weather has me in a cranberry mood. Has anyone seen fresh cranberries yet? Is it too early?

Not too early for Halloween candy and plastic Jack O' Lanterns in the shelves previously devoted to picnic and lunch box items at the supermarket...but now that I am about to switch over to oatmeal, I think dried cranberries from Trader Joe's will do.

I'm using almost the last of my salted capers tonight. These came in a jar--Caravaglio brand. I parcel them out grudgingly, as I find it very hard to find capers packed in salt. I don't remember where I got this little jar.

After years of thinking I hated capers, several years ago the old Pinecrest Whole Foods had salted capers on the olive bar. I loved them. They didn't last that long, and I all but begged them to bring them back...unsuccessfully. Brined capers, which are all I can usually find, taste to me like nailpolish remover (not that I've ever consumed nailpolish remover, but eccchhh :( ). Does anyone have a good source for salt-packed capers?

Does anyone have a good source for salt-packed capers?

I may have seen them at Rodman's, but I can't say for sure. Rodman's is almost certainly the all-round best local source for imported things in jars. But you can always order them online and have them shipped to you. I'm feeling too lazy at the moment to go get you the links, but I know you can order them from La Tienda, Buon Italia, and Di Bruno Bros., and I imagine hundreds of other online purveyors. Shipping charges often make this option less attractive than it might otherwise be, I understand.

I'm using almost the last of my salted capers tonight. These came in a jar--Caravaglio brand. I parcel them out grudgingly, as I find it very hard to find capers packed in salt. I don't remember where I got this little jar.

After years of thinking I hated capers, several years ago the old Pinecrest Whole Foods had salted capers on the olive bar. I loved them. They didn't last that long, and I all but begged them to bring them back...unsuccessfully. Brined capers, which are all I can usually find, taste to me like nailpolish remover (not that I've ever consumed nailpolish remover, but eccchhh :( ). Does anyone have a good source for salt-packed capers?

I believe I found some at Dean & Deluca in Georgetown years ago. IIRC, they were near the salt-packed anchovies.

Does anyone know where I can find venison rib chops, preferably in MD? I could also order online if shipping didn't make them prohibitively expensive. I've seen some venison at Wegman's and I've even gotten some generic "steaks" in some chain grocery store, but so far I've been unimpressed with the quality and neither had chops. Thanks.

While I'm at it...possible to get black truffles without breaking the bank? Does someone maybe sell them online in less than whole truffle amounts? I've also seen these at Wegman's, but have no idea as to the quality or price. It was at least 2 years ago that I saw them there.

Anyone know where I can get humanely raised veal cheeks on short notice, preferably in MD? I need them by Friday. Balducci's can special order them but I waited too long. Whole Foods can't get them. I do have emails out to a few local farmers who raise veal, but I've never seen any of them offer cheeks.

Anyone know where I can get humanely raised veal cheeks on short notice, preferably in MD? I need them by Friday. Balducci's can special order them but I waited too long. Whole Foods can't get them. I do have emails out to a few local farmers who raise veal, but I've never seen any of them offer cheeks.

check with The Organic Butcher of McLean. I've found veal cheeks there in the past.

It's been a week of malfunctioning equipment and incomplete shipments. And I have one more day to go. I want those big green olives stuffed with blue cheese, and I'm willing to go fairly far to get them. Anyone seen them?

We see them at Harris Teeter pretty regularly.

It's been a week of malfunctioning equipment and incomplete shipments. And I have one more day to go. I want those big green olives stuffed with blue cheese, and I'm willing to go fairly far to get them. Anyone seen them?

I often see them at the olive bar at Wegman's in Fairfax.

When I was growing up in Cincinnati, my mom always made a great salad that we called "crunchy noodle salad." After living in DC for 6 years I still can't find the noodles that she used (LaChoy Rice Noodles). My mom has to send them to me because I can't live without the dish. Does anyone have any idea where I can find them? I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks so much!

When I was growing up in Cincinnati, my mom always made a great salad that we called "crunchy noodle salad." After living in DC for 6 years I still can't find the noodles that she used (LaChoy Rice Noodles). My mom has to send them to me because I can't live without the dish. Does anyone have any idea where I can find them? I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks so much!

I'd try contacting ConAgra (or www.lachoy.com) and asking them if they could tell you which stores in your area stock this product. I recall seeing fewer Chinese-American products in our local Giant over the years.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find them? I would be forever in your debt.

I can't say I have seen many La Choy products lately, but Harris Teeter might special order you some, or they might carry it, but call ahead first. Another place that I have seen La Choy products is at the Shoppers Food Warehouse, I think.

Alternatively, you can order from Amazon.com and do a subscribe & save, where they can ship it to you automatically every few months or so (delivery at the door w/o running to the store!).

Other alternative is to make your own!

Thanks so much!

I saw these at our Shoppers Food Warehouse in the "ethnic" section.

Thanks so much!

I saw them at the Adams Morgan Safeway a couple of weeks ago. Asian section, bottom shelf, I think.

What about pumpkin seed oil: a nearby walk-into-the-store source? Thanks!

The store at Cafe Mozart downtown (btw McPherson and Metro Center on H St) has it at the best price I've seen. Otherwise whole foods had it last time I was looking for it.

Anyone seen Martin's potato bread stuffing at Harris Teeter or Giant recently?

Otherwise whole foods had it last time I was looking for it.

I don't know the first store you mentioned, but I might try finding it tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, which WFM? I've visited 2 without luck; no luck at TJ Maxxes or TJ's either, though you'd think at this time of year...

Thanks for the response!

I don't know the first store you mentioned, but I might try finding it tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, which WFM? I've visited 2 without luck; no luck at TJ Maxxes or TJ's either, though you'd think at this time of year...

Thanks for the response!

My WF (Silver Spring) never has it. I look EVERY SINGLE TIME I go. I've been doing that for oh, the last 3 years. I should probably just order some online, eh? :) However, if anyone knows of a store in MD that carries it, I'd love to know.

Thanks for the response!

Cafe Mozart is a German/Austrian restaurant with a small store of German/Austrian foodstuffs up front - you may be able to call ahead and double check they have it in stock (its listed on their website). The Clarendon Whole Foods had it - but it was ridiculously priced compared to Cafe Mozart (same price but about a quarter of the size).

My WF (Silver Spring) never has it. I look EVERY SINGLE TIME I go. I've been doing that for oh, the last 3 years. I should probably just order some online, eh? :) However, if anyone knows of a store in MD that carries it, I'd love to know.

I saw some this morning at Balducci's in Bethesda.

Peeled chestnuts, either fresh, frozen or in a jar.

Whole Foods has Minerve brand, some in a jar, which are OK if a little sweet, some in a can in water which are entirely unsuited for my purpose (to accompany roast brussels sprouts).

The fresh ones are good but the effort is enormous, impossible to peel without burning your fingers but if you wait for them to cool, they won't peel.

Peeled chestnuts, either fresh, frozen or in a jar.

I saw some Wednesday morning at Balducci's in Bethesda. They were in a jar. Beyond that, I can't give you any details as I didn't inspect them closely. Perhaps a call to the store could tell you whether they'd meet your needs.

I saw some Wednesday morning at Balducci's in Bethesda. They were in a jar. Beyond that, I can't give you any details as I didn't inspect them closely. Perhaps a call to the store could tell you whether they'd meet your needs.

lots of options now. trader joe's has lots of options--i've had luck w their frozen ones. wfw should be getting fresh--not sure how much fresh, local supply's left, but they were fabulous this year!!

Super H has peeled chestnuts in foil-type bags. Edited to add - two or three kinds of fresh and dried ones too if you want to do the work. :)

Pretty much all of the Asian markets have these, and they are a LOT cheaper than the jarred ones. We've been using them for several years as both a snack and for our Thanksgiving stuffing. We have used many brands and have never had an issue with quality.

I saw some this morning at Balducci's in Bethesda.

You're kidding me. The one on Old Georgetown? I used to stop in there weekly before a meeting I have in Rockville and never saw it. But, we haven't met for a few months. Was just in there on Thursday, but didn't think to look. Well, now I know, thanks. :)

Re: chestnuts, if you score the pointy end with an x before roasting, they're not hard to peel - the shell sort of expands away from the nut and it's easy to remove it after that.

Boudin blanc or decent surrogate?

Please not VA, and preferably a store open several days a week vs. Jamie at a market on Sat or Sun mornings. Would love some asap (thus this post), but could postpone plans for using up the turnips and butternut squash.

Thanks!

I would give a call over to Canales. If they do not have it, they probably can get it.

Boudin blanc or decent surrogate?

Not sure that you'll find boudin blanc, but you might find a decent weisswurst or bratwurst at Eastern Market, Wagshall's, or in a package at Rodman's or Whole Foods. Not sure what kind of suasages Trader Joe is selling, but they have a lot of chicken sausages. You might even find a chicken bratwurst...

Not sure that you'll find boudin blanc, but you might find a decent weisswurst or bratwurst at Eastern Market, Wagshall's, or in a package at Rodman's or Whole Foods. Not sure what kind of suasages Trader Joe is selling, but they have a lot of chicken sausages. You might even find a chicken bratwurst...

Thanks for suggestions. I am not sure I'll go [for me] all the way down to Eastern Market just for this, though I am reminded where you can get capons for the holiday season.

I checked out options at WFM last night and neither the counter's selection nor packaged options appealed to me all that much, e.g. the chicken-apple sausage had cinnamon and maple syrup, the mild Italian, minced bell peppers, fennel, etc. (One brand's on sale, though.) Heading to Rodman's first since the store's always fun.