Ingredient Source 911

Anna Blume

This is a true 911. Need crystallized ginger for a cake I'm making tomorrow. I've seen it at Whole Foods in the past, but would really like to avoid doing that trip just for this one time. Was hopeful that TJ's would have it, but they were out of stock. So, any chance someone has seen it at a particular grocery store? I live in Laurel so we're talking SFW, Weis, Giant, Safeway. I could go to Columbia to the Harris Teeter I guess. Any suggestions on where to even look for it (which aisle)?

All I've got is the totally unhelpful suggestion of Penzey's in Rockville. I don't know where your closest Whole Foods is, but I imagine it's closer than that.

I just checked because I had a vague memory of it, and McCormick's has crystallized ginger. That means that a big Giant or Safeway may have some on the spice aisle, though might not be the quality you want. Check Peapod's or Safeway's delivery service and see if they list it. If it's there, they probably have it in the store.

Not sure that you'll find boudin blanc, but you might find a decent weisswurst or bratwurst at Eastern Market, Wagshall's, or in a package at Rodman's...

JPW tempted me and when I have more time during daylight hours to travel up and down Rockville Pike, I will definitely try out the Kielbasa Factory. I called the place and a woman with a fabulous accent promised to save four fresh bratwurst were I to make the trip. Judging from my second call, it sounds as if it's worthwhile to call and find out what is made that day.

At Rodman's there was a package of really good-looking weisswurst that one of the owners says he has a hard time keeping in stock. Made w pork and veal, if I recall correctly, except there was also MSG in the list so, instead, I went with Les Tres Petits Couchons, buying one package each of sausages w Calvados and truffles. I wonder about the latter because they retail for only $8 when they're not on sale (which they were), but boudin blanc is often produced with truffles, so we'll see.

JPW tempted me and when I have more time during daylight hours to travel up and down Rockville Pike, I will definitely try out the Kielbasa Factory. I called the place and a woman with a fabulous accent promised to save four fresh bratwurst were I to make the trip. Judging from my second call, it sounds as if it's worthwhile to call and find out what is made that day.

It's a great little store, love the stuff they make in-house, and they're incredibly friendly.

For a while (not sure if this was still the case) the fresh kielbasa was being supplied by Jamie Stachowski.

One more suggestion: Zoe's Chocolate.

Got an email from them today - definitely gourmet prices and requires ordering (or a trip to Frederick), but they're very pretty and come in anise and cinnamon flavors, in addition to peppermint.

(glad World Market was a winner!)

That's not much more than what I paid for Hammond's (out of Denver) at WM, and they look really nice. I'm tempted to try making my own, but from the videos I've watched, candy cane making is a group activity.

Where to find decaf espresso powder/instant espresso? NoVa or DC preferred.

Saw it at Whole Foods on Duke Street several months ago when I needed it for a toffee recipe.

If you get completely stuck and in an absolute must-have rush, Starbucks Via decaf might make an OK substitute, available in most of their stores.

Saw it at Whole Foods on Duke Street several months ago when I needed it for a toffee recipe.

If you get completely stuck and in an absolute must-have rush, Starbucks Via decaf might make an OK substitute, available in most of their stores.

Thanks! The Duke St. WF is nearby-I'll check it out tomorrow.

Comice pears? Sometimes called "French butter pears" at WFM, but I haven't run across any for quite some time. I know Zora's eaten one recently. I'm not a Costco shopper, so I'm hoping there are other sources for a fruit that challenged local farmers this year.

I've seen them at Harris Teeter as French Butter Pears.

Comice pears? Sometimes called "French butter pears" at WFM, but I haven't run across any for quite some time. I know Zora's eaten one recently. I'm not a Costco shopper, so I'm hoping there are other sources for a fruit that challenged local farmers this year.

I saw some today at the Safeway on Columbia Road in Adams Morgan. :)

I saw some today at the Safeway on Columbia Road in Adams Morgan. :)

Thanks, Barbara! While in Bethesda, I checked out Safeway and ended up w a handful of ripe ones on sale. Finally worthwhile to leave a wedge of Claire's camembert from Clear Springs Creamery out on the counter for dessert. With combo, felt like a girl again in the Metro headed from the 17th to 6th to class in Earth shoes, wrap-around corduroy skirt, turtleneck and Turkish scarf holding back my hair.

Not a 911, but I would like some advice. I want a knife that will cut desserts and pastry cleanly, more pies and tarts than cakes. The cookbooks all say a "thin, sharp knife." So what is that? A fillet knife? A sandwich knife? A utility knife? I have an old boning knife that does OK, but it doesn't make ultra clean cuts on ganache tarts or quiche or lemon meringue pie or sweet potato pie or any number of such things. I've done the whole warm knife, dipped in water knife, dipped in hot water knife, clean between each cut types of things to no avail, at least with the knives I have. I know it's a picky thing, but I want the presentation to be worthy of the time and effort I put into something. If anyone has one that works really well and makes a lovely, perfectly clean cut, I'd love to know what it is.

Not a 911, but I would like some advice. I want a knife that will cut desserts and pastry cleanly, more pies and tarts than cakes. The cookbooks all say a "thin, sharp knife." So what is that? A fillet knife? A sandwich knife? A utility knife? I have an old boning knife that does OK, but it doesn't make ultra clean cuts on ganache tarts or quiche or lemon meringue pie or sweet potato pie or any number of such things. I've done the whole warm knife, dipped in water knife, dipped in hot water knife, clean between each cut types of things to no avail, at least with the knives I have. I know it's a picky thing, but I want the presentation to be worthy of the time and effort I put into something. If anyone has one that works really well and makes a lovely, perfectly clean cut, I'd love to know what it is.

If you take the pie out of its tin, you can try a cheese cutter. There was a great cheesecake store in Maplewood, NJ (Hy's Cheesecake) which confronted the same problem. The cheesecake always stuck to the knife. Hy solved the problem by creating special cake tins to bake a circular cheesecake (looked like a zero) and cut the cakes using a cheese cutter. Nothing can stick to a fine wire and he could get a perfect cut every time. That's Hy down below with his cheesecake. He delivered daily to restaurants in New York City and elsewhere in the region, but still sold retail a couple days a week. Best cheesecake I ever ate. The shop closed some time ago. I believe he went to Florida. He is missed. Who else would put up with two 10 year olds waltzing into his shop bellowing "Hi Hy!"

post-2703-0-84784100-1293536165_thumb.jp

post-2703-0-74844800-1293536985_thumb.jp

That's a really good idea. I wonder if using a cutting wire (like for pottery) would work. Sort of like dental floss for chêvre.

I am winging it here but something like a coping saw? But maybe with a wire rather than a blade.

Yes, you would need to take the item out of the dish so you could cut all the way down.

We used to have a wire cheese cutter made like that. The wire broke, and I think we probably threw it away eventually.

Wouldn't work for cutting slices out of, for example, pie. Or maybe it would. If it was big enough, it would, but you would have to slice the whole pie at one time. Radially. If you wanted eight pieces, four cuts. But for pie, you'd probably want a blade, not a wire.

Depends on how OCD you are. Me, I'd just hack it. Tastes the same. :)

Depends on how OCD you are.

Exceptionally. I spent some time yesterday looking at surgical "saws."

When my wife used to bake wedding cakes as a hobby, she always had a cake leveler around, which can also be used to make very clean cuts.

Thanks! I'll stop by SLT and check this out. I'm curious if the cutting wire would be strong enough.

And I've never used a ceramic knife. Are they very different?

Yes! Very fragile and very dangerous IMHO, but sharp, sharp blade is extremely effective. My only ceramic blade right now is on a cheap mandoline-like utensil that I picked up at Marshall's. (I keep it double-wrapped when stored and hand-cut more of whatever I am slicing than I normally would with a mandoline [programmers for Spellcheck don't cook!] just to be safe.)

FWIW: Japan's answer (cake vs. pie).

Roasted cocoa nibs at a store nearby vs. online?

There's a range of choices at WFM, but they're marketed as snacks, so chocolate-coated, etc. The small pack of raw ones contains large chunks and costs $7, so I am reluctant to bring it home only to scorch contents.

Where can I find peeled garlic (besides costco, BJs, et al.)?

Whole Foods has ziplocked bags of organic Christopher Ranch peeled garlic. Nice.

You can get tubs of peeled garlic at Korean markets like Super H and HMart, Chinese markets like Great Wall, and multi ethnic markets like El Grande.

Where can I find peeled garlic (besides costco, BJs, et al.)?

Trader Joe's also used to carry it.

Last year I bought an incredible pork shank at Smith Meadow. I've asked and begged but they simply aren't doing that cut anymore.

Any idea where I might find one?

Thanks!

I bought mine from Ecofriendly. Called ahead to special order and picked up at Dupont Market. But Ididn't get a whole shank. I got shanks that were sliced crosswise into individual portions, which I then braised. Really need to make that again, phenomenal dish. Anyway, I'm guessing he could accommodate you.

Last year I bought an incredible pork shank at Smith Meadow. I've asked and begged but they simply aren't doing that cut anymore.

Any idea where I might find one?

Thanks!

If you're anywhere in the vicinity of Springfield Butcher, they have any and all cuts of pork. Call ahead, but this place never disappoints.

Unsweetened flaked coconut? Not the grated frozen kind. Sometimes it's available dried - that would work too. I've got a whole coconut for this attempt with the recipe I'm trying, but sometimes you just don't want to do the whole coconut thing.

Unsweetened flaked coconut? Not the grated frozen kind. Sometimes it's available dried - that would work too. I've got a whole coconut for this attempt with the recipe I'm trying, but sometimes you just don't want to do the whole coconut thing.

Whole Food. In one of the aisles surrounding the bulk section but not in bulk, in a bag. Green bag, "Let's Do Organic" brand unsweetened organic coconut flakes. Product of Sri Lanka, distributed by www.edwardandsons.com, excellent in oatmeal (steel cut, with raisins, craisins and walnuts). Tasty little nibble right out of the bag, if you like that sort of thing, and I do.

Another great source for unsweetened flaked coconut is My Organic Market (MOM's). You can find it in the aisle with the nuts/seeds/trail mixes. It's quite inexpensive, too. MOM's is usually a good place to look for this sort of thing, and I appreciate their commitment to organic food as well as fair prices.

Hey, does anyone know where I can find frozen sour cherries?

Frozen sour cherries are tough to find-- I've never seen them in stores around here (I usually pick a bunch at Butler's Orchard in the spring and freeze them). You will find jars of sour cherries in syrup at Trader Joe's, though. They'll be labeled as "Morello Cherries".

What I have been trying to find is not represented in the photo of a bag from Bob's Red Mill. Instead, I want the kind of big, thin, wide flakes that look like shingles on a house in Cape Cod or pencils shavings. (Recipe by Alice Medrich for snazzy macaroons.) Anyone seen something like that?

What I have been trying to find is not represented in the photo of a bag from Bob's Red Mill. Instead, I want the kind of big, thin, wide flakes that look like shingles on a house in Cape Cod or pencils shavings. (Recipe by Alice Medrich for snazzy macaroons.) Anyone seen something like that?

That's a picture of shredded. You want flaked as shown here.