Ingredient Source 911

Anna Blume

What I have been trying to find is not represented in the photo of a bag from Bob's Red Mill. Instead, I want the kind of big, thin, wide flakes that look like shingles on a house in Cape Cod or pencils shavings. (Recipe by Alice Medrich for snazzy macaroons.) Anyone seen something like that?

That's what I bought at MOM's. They had both types in stock in the Mount Vernon Ave. store. It's fresh enough that, when toasted, the flavor is very nice.

Frozen sour cherries are tough to find-- I've never seen them in stores around here

So I am discovering. Cherries in syrup will not do for this application, and I only froze enough for pies this spring. I guess I'll be waiting until spring and freezing a LOT this year.

Thanks!

So I am discovering. Cherries in syrup will not do for this application, and I only froze enough for pies this spring. I guess I'll be waiting until spring and freezing a LOT this year.

I've been hesitating to reply, because I'm not sure whether I saw frozen sour cherries at Balducci's or Whole Foods, but I know I've seen them.

I've been hesitating to reply, because I'm not sure whether I saw frozen sour cherries at Balducci's or Whole Foods, but I know I've seen them.

It's easy enough to look at Whole Foods - do you know which location it might have been?

Balducci's - I thought they closed?

It's easy enough to look at Whole Foods - do you know which location it might have been?

Balducci's - I thought they closed?

The New Mexico Ave. Balducci's closed, but the McLean, VA store is open as is the one on Old Georgetown Rd. and Democracy Blvd. in Bethesda.

As to which Whole Foods, I've been to a number of the stores (Vienna, Tenley, Friendship, Arlington, Georgetown, River Rd.) in the past year, and like I said, my memory of where I saw them is very shaky.

Does anyone know where I could buy some carnaroli rice locally? Preferably, MoCo, but willing to drive if necessary.

I've seen it before at World Market - I would give them a call before I drove over, though. I know that the Mediterranean Grocery in Alexandria has carried it too, but that's a long drive.

Does anyone know where I could buy some carnaroli rice locally? Preferably, MoCo, but willing to drive if necessary.

The Italian Store in Arlington carries carnaroli. I went through a box and had wonderful results with my risotto dishes. I returned and got a box of vialone nano, but the results aren't quite as good. I think the carnaroli is most forgiving if your technique (my technique) is not stellar.

Gochujang? Has anyone actually seen it or purchased it?

Any of the Korean markets around here--H Mart, Super H Mart, Lotte--have (almost) an aisle dedicated to it, look for the wall o' red as in this picture. Most of the other Asian markets will probably carry it as well if they carry any Korean foods. To be sure you're purchasing it, the Hangul is 고추장.

As for which brand is best, that's a bit beyond my skills. If I need it, I just buy the one on sale if there is one.

A couple of years ago I was thrilled to find paccheri (scroll down & forgive source), a kind of wide tubular pasta, at Giant in Tenleytown of all places. (Large enough to stuff, which is my intention.) It was when the store was going upscale and trying for sophistication in a special store brand.

In what is now my local Giant, product lines are dumbed down. I am thinking of going to Litteri, though for just one item... Sometimes you'll find the stuff at TJ Maxx or Marshall's, but I am wondering if anyone has seen these guys in a more mainstream location in DC--like a Giant.

Mille grazie!

I

n the event you have an ongoing interest in finding paccheri, I found some at the Old Town Whole Foods @ $5.99 for 12 oz. If they have it there, they might have it at a store closer to you. It's from the Severino pasta company and was near the display of fresh pasta and cheeses, even though it's dried pasta.

^It was my impression that sugar is added to the dried sour cherries at both TJ and WFM before at least the former are coated w oil.

Pink limestone?

Planning on making gado-gado, I stumbled on a photo of amarenth-leaf "crackers" that look good--basically a battered leaf: kale chips meet tempura. Curious.

Food-safe mineral oil for cutting boards and wood bowls?

The kind of mineral oil they sell at a pharmacy for use as a laxative works perfectly well.

I'm sure it works well, but it might have a different result than she's aiming for...

I'm sure it works well, but it might have a different result than she's aiming for...

I'll walk into my kitchen and the bowls and board will look like they're in a Salvador Dali painting? Or they will go flying out the front door?

I think you can use food-grade walnut oil as well.

I've used vegetable oils in the past, but they can go rancid and make the wooden items smell pretty bad. I don't know a cure for it, so I'm going to try to stick with the mineral oil.

Toasted rice powder?

I'd like to make laab gai for an ailing friend with a craving, and She Simmers (a great site recommended by Fish Innards) insists that laab isn't laab without toasted rice powder.

Also, are there any pomelos around town? My Giant doesn't have any, but I wasn't sure if that's because they're out of season or because my Giant sucks. (I know they're out of season and I know my Giant sucks, but I'm willing to pay for a pomelo that's travelled a few thousand miles if there's one to be had--carbon footprint be damned.)

Restrictions: I have no car and live in Columbia Heights and will probably not have time to schlep too far for just one or two ingredients.

A nice how-to on making it yourself is here. The author insists, though, that you must use Thai sticky or glutinous rice, which is probably easier to find than the toasted rice powder, but something few of us have actually on hand. Good luck.

I saw that, actually, but I have niether a coffee grinder nor appropriate mortar and pestle (mine is small and ceramic). And the grocery store didn't have Thai sticky rice, so I'm back to square one...

Toasted rice powder?

I'd like to make laab gai for an ailing friend with a craving, and She Simmers (a great site recommended by Fish Innards) insists that laab isn't laab without toasted rice powder.

Also, are there any pomelos around town? My Giant doesn't have any, but I wasn't sure if that's because they're out of season or because my Giant sucks. (I know they're out of season and I know my Giant sucks, but I'm willing to pay for a pomelo that's travelled a few thousand miles if there's one to be had--carbon footprint be damned.)

Restrictions: I have no car and live in Columbia Heights and will probably not have time to schlep too far for just one or two ingredients.

I get mine at the Thai Market on Thayer (?) across the street from the Safeway in downtown SS. They used to have a course grind that I preferred. Now they have a very fine powder that is serviceable, but does not give quite the right texture contrast that the courser grind does.

Their takeout joint serves some excellent dishes. One of my favorite chicken kaprow to be found.

A nice how-to on making it yourself is here. The author insists, though, that you must use Thai sticky or glutinous rice, which is probably easier to find than the toasted rice powder, but something few of us have actually on hand. Good luck.

I've had luck finding the Thai sticky or glutinous rice at Yes!

Does anyone know of a local venue for dried scallops? If you have strong opinions on best brands, even better. Thank you.

I seem to recall a bin at Great Wall Merrifield full of dried scallops, much like the trail mix bins at Whole Foods. I don't know what brand, however. I imagine any of the Asian markets would have them in their dried goods aisle, but it's been awhile since I've used dried scallops.

Trying to locate lenticchie di Castelluccio (Castellucio lentils) and not having any luck. La Cuisine can't get them anymore; the Italian Store doesn't carry them. Anyone have any ideas/sources?

Answering my own question (with a little help from the Free Range chat): Dean and Deluca carries Umbrian lentils - same variety, just not from Castelluccio.

The real thing can be ordered online here.

Answering my own question (with a little help from the Free Range chat): Dean and Deluca carries Umbrian lentils - same variety, just not from Castelluccio.

The real thing can be ordered online here.

I'll bite. That's a pretty esoteric ingredient. What are you making and why wouldn't another lentil work?

I'll bite. That's a pretty esoteric ingredient. What are you making and why wouldn't another lentil work?

:P I was looking for a recipe using Italian sausages that wasn't just a sausage/peppers/onions variation and came up with Sausages and Green Lentils with Tomato Salsa, from Jamie's Italy. Du Puy lentils are an acceptable substitute, but I wanted to see if the more 'authentic' ingredient could be found easily (and without a hefty price tag). I'll probably use the French lentils since I don't want to deal with Georgetown traffic OR spend $10/lb for dried beans.

:P I was looking for a recipe using Italian sausages that wasn't just a sausage/peppers/onions variation and came up with Sausages and Green Lentils with Tomato Salsa, from Jamie's Italy. Du Puy lentils are an acceptable substitute, but I wanted to see if the more 'authentic' ingredient could be found easily (and without a hefty price tag). I'll probably use the French lentils since I don't want to deal with Georgetown traffic OR spend $10/lb for dried beans.

They were $9.50 for 8.8 oz, or a little more than half pound. Not quite as expensive as fabes Asturianas, but up there.

^Did you try Vace? Thought I saw them at the Bethesda store, but can't be sure. None at Cornucopia (also Bethesda) where the (very nice) owner is selling tiny bags of Le Puy (and amazing prosciutto and really needs more customers who can go to Freddy's Lobster afterwards).

I really need to check this thread more frequently.

Wegmans sells both carnaroli and vialone nano in a brown box; relatively inexpensive, and surprisingly decent for risotto. In central MoCo, The Italian Gourmet Market (Rt 28, near Kentlands) sells the Beretta "Il Carnaroli Chef" brand, which has been reliably good but pricey.

Harris Teeter sells carnaroli under their HT Traders brand, but I can't recommend it...the grains don't seem to be as absorbent as the others.

Food-safe mineral oil for cutting boards and wood bowls?

Avoid mineral oils; they're often not processed via food-safe methods. There are two main categories of food-safe wood oils: oil finishes (intended as a penetrating finish for newly-made wooden objects), and wood maintenance oils...I presume you're looking for the latter. Look for "block oil" at a good woodworking supply store such as Woodcraft in Rockville. I use Block Bros Block Oil, guaranteed never to become rancid (also available online).

Anyone have a good source for high-quality Mexican or Madagascar vanilla beans? I want to make some vanilla sugar for gifts...Thanks!

In bulk, try "Vanilla Saffron Imports" out of San Francisco. Website here: http://www.theposter.com/vanilla2.html