Ingredient Source 911

Anna Blume

Anyone have a good source for high-quality Mexican or Madagascar vanilla beans? I want to make some vanilla sugar for gifts...Thanks!

I've bought bulk vanilla from eBay before through, I think, Vanilla Products USA (their pages look familiar). They sell various grades of beans, some called "extract grade" which are the lower grade beans. I'm not sure if those would be good enough for vanilla sugar or not.

Hmm. I do need beans, maybe I should buy some...

Thanks, all. I'm really glad I asked, because I hadn't even thought about buying in bulk until I looked at your suggestions. I checked all the places and called saffron.com because they got 2 hits here. I talked to someone who gave quite a diatribe/lecture in response to my questions. He was vehemently passionate about their products, which was very nice to hear. He also undersold me when I told him what I was looking for and emphasized how much word-of-mouth recommendations matter to them, both of which definitely inspire confidence. I ordered a pound of vanilla beans and can't wait to get them! :rolleyes:

4 oz bottle of Nielsen-Massey vanilla bean paste $11 @ Williams Sonoma. Not bad, as it's $9.95 on Amazon. Lady in front of me also buying a bottle, amusing the cashier. WF and TJ did not have it today.

Recipe for bourbon pecan pie called for either paste or extract -- thought I'd splurge; never used it before.

I'm a big fan of the paste in ice cream recipes. I had a recipe that called for a lot of vanilla extract and it always performed better with the paste. The chemist in me now wonders if the gum in the paste was responsible, or the lack of alcohol from the extract.

Plus, well, black specks!

He has definitely had it in the past. I don't think it's in his regular rotation, but perhaps this time of year you'll have a better chance of getting it.

Actually, I called The Kielbasa Factory right after posting this, and it's in stock, but I was hoping you'd reply! Thanks! (And it's the wrong thread, but I'm lazy, so thanks Zora and T. for suggestions for using up my red wine syrup, especially since mulled wine is something that would not have occurred to me!)

I haven't had Polish kishka, but ate Jewish kishka many times when I was growing up. If I remember correctly, the filling is made with flour, chicken fat and onions, stuffed into a beef casing. I am too lazy to do research (and it isn't that important to me to know) -- but does anyone know how the Polish version is made? With lard?

Does anyone know where I might be able to get my hands on a whole, boneless (rind on) piece of pork belly? Potentially in the 12 lb range.

I'd like to try my hand at the "all belly porchetta" from Serious Eats on Saturday and am coming up empty.

I just bought a 5-lb bnls, skn-on belly from Springfield Butcher and Mike had to cut a piece for me. So I am sure he will have a whole one. Good luck.

Fresh black eyed peas. Or, failing that, frozen ones. The dried ones are so grainy.

Whole Foods usually sells them in the produce section in individual packets. They are snatched up quickly.

I was at the Silver Spring store, late, and one of the produce team members said the shipment was in the back of the store, to be put on display tomorrow (Friday) morning, Dec. 30.

Husband hit the Pan Am Safeway about the same time I hit the Springfield Whole Foods, and communicating via cell phone both located large special displays of 10 ounce tubs of Sunny Creek black eyed peas, which I would have thought were fresh but he noticed were "rehydrated", whatever that means. Safeway was cheaper so we went with that but when we rendezvoused at home I think maybe the Whole Foods were fresher, although I could not swear to that.

Cooking instructions says they only need twenty minutes to cook, "boil uncovered for twenty minutes and do not overcook" and I quote. I guess we need to prepare the base to completion before adding the beans.

Anyway they look tastier than dried ones. Two bucks for a 10 ounce tub with a Safeway card, two fifty without.

Where can I buy unsweetened dried tart cherries?

:)

Finally, got you an answer! Have you ever been to Zam Zam Market in Gaithersburg? Despite Arabic name, it's a Persian market where there are very, very small packets of dried tart cherries that do not contain sweetener! $2.99 for 4 oz., so pricey. There are better deals in a store that is small, but clearly a principal source of food for lots and lots of regulars who pile up their shopping baskets, especially since they sell halal meat. Spices all look very fresh and as if there is a lot of turnover. Large bags of rosebuds for $2.99. Lots of different brands of plain yogurt.

While everybody's least favorite source of consumer review's is a bit more informative, here's a yahoo link for details: location, etc.

Sadly, when I mentioned the Persian market I knew in Rockville to the man who seemed to be Zam Zam's owner, I was informed that the owner of Yekta passed away fairly recently.

Thin sliced/shaved bits of lamb (for making Uyghur dishes like Cumin Lamb). Any help? Obviously, I can do it myself to a first approximation if necessary.

I may be wrong about this, but I think I've seen sliced lamb at Super H-Mart. I know they have the thin-sliced pork and beef, but I want to say I've seen lamb too.

If not there (since lamb doesn't seem too Korean), maybe one of the other Asian markets like Great Wall?

I may be wrong about this, but I think I've seen sliced lamb at Super H-Mart. I know they have the thin-sliced pork and beef, but I want to say I've seen lamb too.

If not there (since lamb doesn't seem too Korean), maybe one of the other Asian markets like Great Wall?

No dice at Super H Mart in Fairfax this afternoon. Also no Thai basil (which may be a thing right now--Grand Mart in Centreville didn't have any either).

No dice at Super H Mart in Fairfax this afternoon. Also no Thai basil (which may be a thing right now--Grand Mart in Centreville didn't have any either).

Maxim in Rockville had sliced lamb, but that was 2 or 3 years ago (but it looked like it might be a regular item). Bangkok 54 Grocery had fresh Thai basil yesterday.

This problem isn't necessarily a 911, but I want to get some Sichuan preserved vegetables, 芽菜 and/or 榨菜, to make some dishes I had in Beijing. (I really hope the characters are correct!) I want them for dan dan noodles and for a Sichuan "fish" dish that I don't know the name of, but it's in a big pot with oil and the wonderful Sichuan pepper. My question is, is there a specific brand that is best, or are there big differences between the two types of greens? Question two is, are they available anywhere closer than Great Wall? Thanks!

Due to sheer laziness, I have not been able to muster energy up to make ketchup, since all ketchup that I have been able to find on market shelves contain traces of onion powder. (Sucks to uber-sensitive to onions! Antacids don't help either at times.) The only one that I have been able to tolerate is Osem Ketchup, but I have not been able to find it on any shelf lately. Has anyone seen it near them or can recommend a store brand that does not contain onion powder?

Due to sheer laziness, I have not been able to muster energy up to make ketchup, since all ketchup that I have been able to find on market shelves contain traces of onion powder. (Sucks to uber-sensitive to onions! Antacids don't help either at times.) The only one that I have been able to tolerate is Osem Ketchup, but I have not been able to find it on any shelf lately. Has anyone seen it near them or can recommend a store brand that does not contain onion powder?

Have you tried World Market? It seems like the type of place that might carry it. The international aisle of Wegman's is a possibility as well. Of course, Amazon has it, assuming you want 9 bottles at about $6/bottle.

I have been hoping to find goat's cream ( to use like heavy whipping cream) because well I am lactose intolerant, but I can have goat and sheep milk products. I wanted to be able to make some things that require cream. I know it is a bit different, but thought it would be worth a shot to test out. Anyone know where you can get it- farmer's market, store, etc?

^You won't find goat cream, because goat milk is naturally homogenized and the cream must be separated in a centrifuge. The only ones who do that are the very, very few companies that make goat butter. Goat milk isn't ever sold skimmed or 2% for that reason. You can get good goat milk at some Whole Foods stores--Albert's from PA. All WF stores don't carry it, however. Some carry Meyenberg, which is ultra-pasturized and can't be used for making goat cheese. Albert's tastes better, because it is pasteurized at a lower temp. You'll have to go to a goat farm in PA if you want raw goat milk, but you can get it.

^You won't find goat cream, because goat milk is naturally homogenized and the cream must be separated in a centrifuge. The only ones who do that are the very, very few companies that make goat butter. Goat milk isn't ever sold skimmed or 2% for that reason. You can get good goat milk at some Whole Foods stores--Albert's from PA. All WF stores don't carry it, however. Some carry Meyenberg, which is ultra-pasturized and can't be used for making goat cheese. Albert's tastes better, because it is passteurized at a lower temp. You'll have to go to a goat farm in PA if you want raw goat milk, but you can get it.

I wonder if I could get it from someone like Firefly Farms when I am home... will have to see.

I think Calpico is sold at Super H for slightly less, but either will be at least $4, iirc.

Oops. ETA to say that a quick google search yielded that H Mart online posts a $6.99 price, while other online vendors might sell for less (but still at $4.99), not including shipping.

Edited by goodeats